Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

NotWearingPants posted:

There's entirely too much WHM and HDTGM chatter in this thread and not enough Flophouse discussion.

Seriously, The Flophouse is hilarious. Check it out.

I like the Flophouse when they actually spend more than 5 minutes of the shows run actually talking about the loving movie.

Seriously, just try listening to their Green Lantern review and see how much of the movie they actually cover before calling it a day and then going into plugs for 30 solid minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

bbf2 posted:

It sounds like they edit out all of the gaps and pauses between their sentences in post,

It sounds like that because that is what they do.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
We Hate Movies has been on fire lately with their movie picks. Maniac Cop 3, Godzilla, and now Steel today. Great stuff.

How Did This Get Made? on the other hand has been very disappointing the last couple of months. Joyful Noise was a complete waste and now they seem to be focusing on movies that are
just hitting theaters. First Fast and the Furious 6 and now After Earth. I wonder what made them start doing new movies.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Skywalker OG posted:

So, I listened to the Event Horizon episode, and they didn't start talking about the movie until 13 minutes in and stopped 55 minutes in, so that is around thirty minutes not discussing the subject matter.

They didn't really say anything interesting for the other 42 minutes, but I will give it another try.

I picked an episode at random and listened to them talk about picking out furniture at Ikea for 10 minutes before turning it off in disgust.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Duke posted:

was just incredible.

Yeah, WHM seems to be getting more energetic each week while most of these other guys seem to be just going through the motions.

Just wait until you get to Maniac cop murdering the ninja turtles and then going back to Dimension X in the technodrome.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dr. Lariat posted:

My biggest complaint over the last few months is them dropping any attempts to tell you how the movie unfolds, earlier episodes and other podcasts talk about a film scene by scene and if you haven't seen the film you could still summarize it to another person. Their lack of focus over the last few months has turned it into an explanation of a few wacky scenes or premises with no indicator of the pacing or flow of a film.

I think the live shows are to blame for this. They usually don't bother summarizing the movie during those since (I'm assuming) the crowd just finished watching it beforehand.

The style just seems to have spilled over to the normal shows over time.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Wow. He-Man and She-Ra's Christmas special and Ghost Busters II on this weeks We Hate Movies.

These should be something special :allears:

http://www.whmpodcast.com/

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It's interesting the various reasons why people like or dislike the main film pod casts, but is there anyone here who enjoys Filmsack's constant usage of the word "trope" and that loving alert siren they play whenever anyone says it?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Last Action Hero is one of those movies that gets labeled as the worst movie ever made when first released, but gets slightly better in retrospect every time a newer, even shittier movie is released.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah, I don't get that issue at all. They seem like pretty obvious best buds.

I think any movie with Jim Belushi in it evokes enough venom that I can understand how a casual listener would think that they despise each other.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I think I'm going to make a project to download all the back episodes of WHM, just in the off-chance some poo poo happens and they all get taken down like Yeah, It's That Bad.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

And We Hate Movies turns into another We Love Movies. I think I've said this before but there is something strangely appealing about those guys when they do something they actually enjoy and poke fun of.

Really, all you need to see is Wilford Brimley's name in the cast list and you know its going to be something special.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm going to make a predication that one of the movies they do in the near future will be either Look Who's Talking or its sequel.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Someone really needs to send them the animated "The Journey Begins" MK movie that was made to promote the first live action movie.

It was a mix of bad standard animation and even worse CGI and would be perfect for their Animation Damnation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z-Zw1Pi5nc

Vakal
May 11, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Next week there will be TMNT SECRET OF THE OOZE!

Any bets on how often Tokka and Rahzar will be called Bebop and Rocksteady?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Where does the whm "you stole mah story" running gag come from? And Szyzka's "thiiinnerr"?

The line is from another Stephen King movie, Secret Window, but they haven't done an episode about it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3_XBLh8Xv8

Vakal
May 11, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

That was a We Hate Movies joke.

On that topic, the idea that Louie Andersen being the last surviving actor and having to do all films past and present is probably my favorite tangent WHM has ever done.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I assume everyone has their suggestions for WHM ready for when the phone lines open up next week. :v:

You're drat right I am.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Seems weird to do a Stephen King movie so close to the spooktacular.

There are a ton of King movies that aren't horror oriented.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

In regards to this years Spooktacular

How was the sequel to Butterfly Effect? I'm assuming it was terrible, but I'm curious if it would make as good of an episode as the original one did.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Kind of sucks that tomorrow is the last day of September and not the first of October. I wonder if WHM will take pity and start the Spooktacular early.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

weekly font posted:

This year's Spooktacular is sequel mania so Bud the CHUD makes sense.

Yeah, they have teased that one before in the past and now would be a good time for it.

I'm also guessing that Blade Trinity is going to rear its ugly head this month.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
WHM could be 10 hours long each episode and I would still listen to every goddamn second.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

A Meat posted:

Oh, speaking of listener request, anybody submitted something interesting for the currently ongoing WHM animation damnation listener write-in thing?

I sent in a recommend for the short lived Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm cartoon since they reviewed the live action movie this summer.

The show isn't bad, but I think they could have some fun with it since Raiden in the show is even more surly and dismissive than Lambert's movie version.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I just thought of another good recommendation for WHM's animation damnation.

The Captain Planet episode where a black family get graphically murdered.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Nothing beats their Tom Berengen
OH my god I'm gonna kill him oh my god I'm gonna kill him I already know what he looks like with his throat pulled out oh my god I'm gonna kill him

It was really a mistake arming Baraka's people in Outworld.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gyges posted:

90s internet hacking was the best. No one writing had any idea how the internet worked, the public had no idea how the internet worked, and the need to create a visual design for this unknown quantity resulted in everyone just throwing COMPUTER animation at the problem.

I know it's goofy as gently caress, but I can't help but like it since it reminds me of Matrix hacking in the Shadowrun game for the Genesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koxlxlAwOA0&t=71s

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

People weren't happy with Woodward and Bernstein, either.

This seems like a good time to recommend the latest Blame it on Outer Space where Patrick Stewart tackles the subject of Shakespeare not being the author of his own stories.

http://www.blameitonouterspace.com/

Vakal
May 11, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

They talk about SA?

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of that show, mainly because the couple episodes I've listened to had Eric kind of playing out this talk show host monologue bit to start off that was just horribly unfunny. I'll give this one a listen, though.

Any of the episodes that have the other guys from WHM as guests are usually worth listening to.

For a good start, I'd recommend the recent episode on Shakespeare.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gyges posted:

Which movie was it where they realized toward the end that it was a secret Batman movie?

Pray for Death, which is great due to the rapidly escalating Ninja meter.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've tried listening to the Filmsack podcast a few times and while the hosts seem knowledgeable and engaging, their constant pointing out of "tropes" in the movies they watch followed by a loving siren sound effect each time they do it is just maddening.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

My instinct reaction was The Forgotten, too. I saw that poo poo in theaters, but didn't even remember that until I came across the ticket stub recently.

I guess you could say it was forgettable :smug:

I saw it in the theater as well and the only thing I remember about it was the car crash scene being very startling.

Edit: The same night as that I also watched Robert De Niro's Hide and Seek. Now there's a movie that should be a loving stay tuned.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 11, 2015

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

This is true.
2) Almost lost my breath laughing at how impressed the WHM gang were by "I'm late and you're wrong" in Teen Wolf Too.

The only time I can remember them laughing harder at something was the Koala scene in the Adventures of Ford Fairline episode.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

bbf2 posted:

In some sort of bizarre coincidence I listened to the WHM bandcamp episode about the Star Wars Holiday special from a couple years ago this morning and then listened to their latest episode about MoonTrap, so I heard Andrew's story about the old man on the subway who thought he was dissing the Golden Girls twice in a row.

The universe works in mysterious ways.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Still wish they'd release live episodes. Cambridge, MA, is a really long ways away.

Listen to the Masters of the Universe episode and see how well that turned out.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Stephen King movies are always great episode fodder, but I wish they would do a film based on a Dean Koontz novel sometime.

Mainly Demon Seed, which is a utterly insane movie where a computer controlled house impregnates a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

oh dope posted:

I thought the new WHM episode on Terminator 2 was fantastic. I guess didn't notice it until now, but be the WHM guys are at their best when they're talking about a movie they're passionate about, instead of trying to make something out of nothing. This whole month should be really good.

The problem is that Andrew Jupin is one of those guys that instantly makes up his mind if he like/dislikes something and no force on earth will make him change his mind.

The rest of the guys are more opened minded, but Jupin is the ringmaster and what he says goes.