Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Weird. I stopped listening to Yeah, It's That Bad when they switched to an all-viewer request format. It made the film selection a lot more boring and I wasn't very fond of a lot of aspects of the show. But my own distaste for the show didn't make me hope they would stop. You've got to be a really pathetic person to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That podcast crawl the Flop House is joining is unfortunate. I list to Read It and Weep from time to time and the best thing I can say about the show is that it's aggressively average. I hadn't heard Proudly Resents until today and it makes Read It and Weep look like a work of genius.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Fine. I will ask if they could do Paint Your Wagon (Not just a Simpsons joke)

Paint Your Wagon is so mind numbingly dull it's better off remaining as obscure trivia.

I've got a film that's best described as outsider art which I'd like them to try because it's horrifyingly bad: Wonder Boy. From what I can tell, a crazy guy in the UK got the rights to make a licensed video game movie by purchasing them off Uwe Boll. He then proceeds to cast himself in the title role, find the worst voice actors possible to compliment him, and animates it with a nightmarishly bad 3D modeling program. It's a worse animated movie than Foodfight. I'm also about 99% sure that I'm the only owner of a copy of this film outside of his own family.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

WHM should cover Airplane II.

Well, call them and tell them that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Production posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is a very funny guy, but I get a lot more replay value out of the podcast where only one guy doesn't understand what happened in the movie, instead of all three of the hosts. HDTGM is the Prometheus of podcasts: I completely enjoy it, but I can't quiet my sense that if the characters were a little more competent, they'd notice even more interesting things than they do.

I feel that HDTGM is a lot more inconsistent than the other major bad movie podcasts. I keep listening because when it's good it's very good (and I think they've been on an upswing lately) but sometimes it's just unpleasant. Some of that is on the guests and some of that is on their film choices since they tend to go after the easy targets.

The Flop House is the smarted of the bad movie podcasts which I put down to having a stronger focus on actual film criticism rather than riffing on the entire film or just finding jokes to tell about it.

WHM is more roughly produced than the other two but also meatier with its bad movie content. I wish they weren't doing another worst of year month in January, though. A month is a long time and half their year is theme months now. At least the viewer request months have been fun for bringing in different kinds of movies but worst of 2013 is going to cover some heavily trodden ground.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

No Elliott on the Flop House until February is the worst news ever. Just because he got a new baby and an important new job on the same day is no excuse!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

It always amazes me how these people use Amazon as a sort of one-shot blog to talk about their personal problems or whatever.

Sometimes I think they read gag reviews. The reviews for Jack Frost just left me disturbed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Those episodes are not we hate movies those are we love movies :colbert:

Also all nine of the people who suggested Foodfight are still assholes but the biggest is Bob from Boston.

I wound up calling in two recommendations this time, and while it's unlikely for multiple reasons, I really hope they take my first one because it's an even worse animated film that Foodfight (proud member of the rear end in a top hat Nine :goatsecx:). Unfortunately you have to jump through some hoops to see it (it's only available as a DVD on demand from Amazon) and clips of it online are almost non-existent so they won't have a chance to see from those if it'll be worth their time.

I really liked the Mr. Destiny episode since you've got Jim Belushi and Michael Caine. That's a recipe for madness if there ever was one plus it's the type of movie that the other bad movie casts generally don't handle.

While we're on the WHM topic, I'm glad they picked the Easy Rider sequel this week. I vaguely recalled hearing about it before the podcast but that was perfect fodder for them and not heavily trodden ground like After Earth.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 17, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vakal posted:

Last Action Hero is one of those movies that gets labeled as the worst movie ever made when first released, but gets slightly better in retrospect every time a newer, even shittier movie is released.

The Last Action Hero is one of those films that I think of as being 75% of the way to a good movie. There's a lot of good stuff in it like Arnold parodying himself. Unfortunately other aspects of the film drag it down. The humor only works about half the time which makes me suspect that of the army of screenwriters that worked on the movie, one of the earliest was a genuinely funny guy and one of the last was a dull hack who tried to punch things up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Really started to get into How Did This Get Made?. They seem to be having a ton of fun ripping on bad stuff, and Mantzoukis is basically Raffi during the podcast.

What is the deal with June though? She's been on the show forever, she's been in movies, and yet she sounds quasi-retarded most of the time. She doesn't seem to understand what a movie is, how movies work, what a plotline is, how to follow a plotline, what characters are, and anything in the movie is foreign and confusing to her. I know she's pretty much there because of her relationship with Paul, but c'mon already. When Mantzoukis is basically playing an idiot on the podcast, and yet is continually astounded when June completely fails to understand the most basic concepts in the movie, what the hell is going on with her.

The How Did This Get Made crew are more doing characters and bits about the movies than they are actually commenting on them. It's a different approach from Flop House (who tend to work more toward criticism) and WHM (which seems more freeform), but that's why its nice to have three different bad movie podcasts that are listenable.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Do they? I think they may have meant Barb Wire. I just listened to that the other day. It was interesting to hear June's view on it. Though I think she may have gone overboard with her hatred of the word "babe".

You must have been. When you said Barbarella my reaction was "How the hell did I miss that because it's got to be incredible!" I don't think any of the bad movie casts have actually stuck their toe into the psychedelic movies of the 60's and that would be fun just to hear their utter bewilderment. Hearing one of them take on Wild in the Streets would be amazing.

Edit: I just remembered that We Hate Movies had the biker movie that they did near the start of their podcast before they got a decent rhythm down for the shows. So there was at least one.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 16, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously look at that picture, how can anyone not unironically love this movie?

The first time I saw it, I didn't care for Hard Target. I've come around since then and appreciate the complete absurdity of it combined with the simplicity of the concept. It's on the top tier of cheesy action movies.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Soooooo...

Are just not going to talk about this week's We Hate Movies?

I just came to the forum to post about it.

I've actually seen Blame it on Rio... unfortunately. They're not misrepresenting the film. I've held that it's Michael Caine's worst movie and considering some of the poo poo he was in during the 80's and 90's that's saying something.

bobservo posted:

I might be alone in this, but I prefer the WHM episodes about romantic comedies because these movies seem to be the least aware about how messed up they are (Addicted to Love, The Pallbearer, Babycakes, Date with an Angel). I know sexual politics were a little different in 1984 but GOOD GOD what were these people thinking when they read the script?

Whenever I come across a movie or book where the sexual relationships are that screwed up I have to look toward the creators putting their fantasies on the screen. Hot teenager throwing herself at an older man? I wonder if the fact that one of the credited writers and the director were hitting their sixties when they were making the film had anything to do with that...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got way too excited when I saw that The Flop House was doing a bad movie that I have actually seen this week. And they made the same mistake I did ("Renny Harlan doing a movie about the Dyatlov Pass incident? Even if it's not good it's going to be crazy!").

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think the No Holds Barred episode of How Did This Get Made might be the longest and most chaotic one yet. Not the greatest guest, sadly...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Unnamed One posted:

I can see the appeal when you say it like that.

Also, dude, there's plenty of weird poo poo in this list.

"Behind the Green Door" and "Pink Flamingos"? loving "Faces of Death"? Clint Eastwood and Clyde the Orangutan vs. the World seems downright pedestrian.

Also Clint was one of the biggest stars of that era, and a lot of his movies are on the list ("Dirty Harry", "Magnum Force", "High Plains Drifter").

Yeah, when you get out of the top few things get really ugly. Right there in 1970, Myra Beckenridge. On the other hand, the fact that they report only about 3 million in returns for that pile of poo poo while claiming it is the 17th best grossing film of 1970 tells me that their data is severely incomplete.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's very cargo cult-y when you get right down to it; it's clear they watched Donnie Darko and Fight Club and went "oh man, we can totally do that!" with no thought about what actually made those movies work beyond a superficial level.

My feeling with the Butterfly Effect is that is was an attempt to be "shocking" and "dark", but like most attempts to do that without considering the balance of the film it looped around to "laughably stupid". I hadn't considered the "jumped up student film" aspect that WHM played up but it really does fit. You'll still find people out there that defend it as a misunderstood masterpiece and claim that the alternative ending makes the whole film.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hewlett posted:

To be fair, the film has All Star too.

For me, Mystery Men has a lot of fun charm to it, but doesn't ultimately hold together - it's the ultimate uneven movie. I also think the Tim Burton rumors are ironic, since the film's look seems to be overtly referencing Schumacher's Batman movies (which would have been the most contemporary Batman movies to mock/homage at that point).

That's an absolutely fair assessment, even though I wind up on the side of the line that kind of likes the film.

Anyway, HDTGM is also doing Easy Rider: The Ride Back. I don't really care for it when the big three bad movie podcasts all hit the same film, though I'll also say that I don't think any of them should base their movie picks on what the others are doing/have done. It's especially annoying with HDTGM since they're now down to one episode a month for the foreseeable future.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The thing about Mortal Kombat (the movie) is that it's essentially 90% borrowed material from better martial arts films. Personally, I'd rather see Annihilation toyed with since it's so bad and not in the cheesy have fun bad way of the original.

It hasn't quite been ten years since the terrible Dead or Alive movie which deserves to get kicked around more than it already has.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea they've shown they can handle making fun of guilty pleasure movies plenty of times before. Mortal Kombat is a lovely movie, it's just a fun kind of lovely like (insert near every not-Rocky 1 Stallone movie here) or (insert literally any movie with Wilford Brimley here) or (All of Jessie Ventura's career including his WWF life).

Ahem:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Probably. It could also be Swordfish though.

Summer blockbuster month means that the superhero movie is more likely.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Was that scene as pointless as I remember it? I remember it literally just being her sitting in a chair with her tits out, apropos of nothing.

Yeah, it was completely gratuitous.

Actually, I'd prefer it to be Swordfish just because it is such an absurd movie. Plus they'd get to talk about the hacking scene.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

It's a Marx Brothers reference, from the movie Horse Feathers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySqec8WrEQQ

Oh, by the by, watch Horse Feathers

The gag was also appropriated by nerds in the early days of computer science and you'd see it pop up as joking password references from time to time which is how it became the title of the movie, since a Marx Brothers reference doesn't make a lot of direct sense there.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Ah, I see. I've pretty much only seen the "a night at the/a day at the" movies and The Big Store. Fantastic stuff, I especially love the Big Store.

Why the hell have you not watched Duck Soup?

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 14, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How Did This Get Made is back to their biweekly schedule. Okay, "weekly" but since their off-weeks aren't really worth listening to it's biweekly to me. They're my least favorite of the big three but it's still nice to be more regular.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

radlum posted:

So this week's Flop House had Jessica Williams from TDS as a guest. I really like her as a correspondent, but she was really quiet during the podcast, it was kind of a waste. I hope they bring Hallie back some time soon, she has better chemistry with the Flop House guys

I get the impression that she just didn't know what she was getting into. I mean, obviously she knew, she just may have been expecting to get more fun out the bad movie. Maybe a different film would have been a better choice for her, though going by title and description it's obvious why she would have picked 3 Days to Kill.

Or maybe she was disappointed because she thought she agreed to be on How Did This Get Made and it turned out to be The Flop House. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you usually ignore the How Did This Get Made off weeks, they play a bit of an interview with Peter Fonda about Easy Rider 2 in the short episode they just released. Let's just say that he was not happy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

Was this movie known of at the time it came out? Or was it quickly forgotten about/buried in a pile of other releases or something?

Yes, people knew about Clifford when it came out. It was infamously bad even at the time. Roger Ebert gave it a review that's comparable to his North review.

Roger Ebert posted:

It's not bad in any usual way. It's bad in a new way all its own.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heteroy posted:

My mom showed me Pink Flamingoes when I was nine and also Cronenberg's Crash. I think Clifford was more upsetting.

Also, my mom was a pretty irresponsible parent.

I'm curious about what kind of fetishes you develop as a result of seeing both of those movies at that age, but at the same time I know that the answer would horrify me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Thiiiiiiner is from Silver Bullet I think.

I liked the Flophouse take on this where they decided that the guy from Thinner was responsible for the origin of all the Marvel superheroes. Including "Naaaaamooooooor."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

That was a We Hate Movies joke.

I am astoundingly backward.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

weekly font posted:

Seems like the next movie for WHM is The Substitue which is only disappointing because when they were talking about back to school I was desperately hoping for Teaching Mrs. Tingle.

When it comes to "Back to School" I was kind of hoping for Dangerous Minds. The Substitute is a great pick, though, and definite a fun take on the "new teacher cleans up the rough school": a goofy bad movie that's kind of fun in its own way and will have a lot of material to riff on.

I assume everyone has their suggestions for WHM ready for when the phone lines open up next week. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

A return to form Flophouse this week, I thought.

I loved using Gambit to disprove the central argument of God's Not Dead.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The best Flop House episodes are the ones where the movie really outrages them. So Easy Rider: The Ride Back or Last Ounce of Courage are good picks. Alternatively, since you've got three really nerdy guys, the episodes that let them be nerds like Hercules or R.I.P.D. work out well.

The biggest weakness of the Flop House format is that they pick a recent film out without really pre-screening it and as a result sometimes watch films that are just painfully dull instead of amusingly insane.

FWIW, regarding sound quality, I think like most podcasts it takes them about a dozen episodes to learn how to podcast and anything before that isn't that great. It takes them that long to get the sound to be listenable. The only other time that there was a real problem after that was when Dan's neighbor ran a pirate radio station and they wound up releasing a kind of half episode because they were forty minutes into the recording when they realized that something had gone wrong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Here's what I called in with:

I'm hoping it can be their election day special.

I bet they get over a hundred perfectly good suggestions (and another hundred or so unsuitable ones :v: ), so there's little chance of any of us getting our selection, but half the people who suggested Foodfight were goons...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 9, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

I don't know why, but people completely ineligible of holding office getting elected is like the only thing that I can not accept in movies. Magic powers, demons, time traveling robots, killer alien clowns, some Steve Buscemi looking guy being a chick magnet? I'm on board. Someone not at least 35 and born in the US as President? I just can't roll with it.

The central conceit of the film is that the protest culture of the late 60's that was pushing to lower the voting age from 21 wouldn't stop there and demand the voting age go even lower and the office holder requirements get dropped to teenagers. So it's not a matter of them being ineligible, it's that they explicitly changed the eligibility.

The Senator Giroux posted:

The movie is a cautionary tale! If you lower the voting age to 18, the next thing you know they'll elect some rock star to senate and they'll lower the voting age even more and then they'll pass an amendment lowering the age of presidency and next thing you know, we have Jim Morrison Hitler for a president!

Seriously the movie is hilarious and worth a watch.

Well, the tongue was firmly in cheek when they were making it, but it plays it so seriously and the satire is so disconnected that it makes the film amazing. Especially from a modern perspective.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's three obvious musicals I'd go for: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Wiz, and Can't Stop the Music (aka, The Village People movie). Sgt. Pepper has probably the biggest gap between quality of music and quality of movie.

The Apple is good, too. Or Xanadu. Or Tommy. Or Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park is both fun and cheesy.

You know what, just pick any rock musical from the late 70's or the early 80's and you're good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: and if you're dissing Tommy, one of the greatest rock operas ever made, we're gonna have to step outside.

That's a very low bar. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Meat posted:

Anyone have any guesses for the Stephen King movie next week on WHM?

I'm hoping for either Maximum Overdrive or Thinner, but I'll be okay with Graveyard Shift as well, even though I know very little about it, because it sounds super terrible.

I'm holding out hope for Creepshow. :v:

Stephen King is a wealth of option and you could make a bad movie podcast just of Stephen King adaptations. My money would be on Maximum Overdrive for obvious reasons, but there's just so many possibilities.

I wonder if Stuart Gordon wonders why everyone has been asking him about Castle Freak and ding-dongs lately...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

They do talk about Thinner a lot but I think it's a pretty decent movie overall, so I doubt that. Creepshow is silly and weird but it's that way on purpose, so it's a pretty soft target.

While this is true,

("Swamp Thiiiiiiiiing.")

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm really tempted to hunt down a copy of the DVD just so I can listen to the commentary. Because the guy sounds like he thought he was really making *~ART~*.

I've got a copy of the DVD since I picked it up for the Rifftrax. The commentary is that insane.

Commentary on bad movies is often fascinating since you often get some very out of touch people that you need to read between the lines to really understand what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I can't believe WHM ruled out Creepshow! Is anyone going to shed tears over doing that as a We Love Movies episode?

Next week starts their horror movie month so it's going to be C.H.U.D. 2: Bud the C.H.U.D.