Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I was pretty saddened to hear that Yeah, it's That Bad is ending. They really were my favourite podcast - I just found their dynamic really entertaining. Now, that might be because I haven't listened to a good deal of movie review podcasts, but when I got onto yeah, it's That Bad, I was hooked. And now I won't have a new podcast every week to look forward to. Time to check out some of those other podcasts then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
So, I've listened to a few of the podcasts recommended in this thread to fill the YITB sized hole in my podcasting soul (or whatever). I found the Flophouse fun, and I liked some of How Did This Get Made, and I do like what I've heard of Alcohollywood, but so far, I think the one that's grabbed me the most has been We Hate Movies. Yes, the episodes are long, but I'm actually impressed at their ability to talk about stupid movies that long, and make it so entertaining. The length is also pretty good, considering I tend to listen to podcasts when I'm doing illustrations, and I'm not going to be doing an illustration that only takes 40 minutes. So yes, I give We Hate Movies my vote - based on the episodes I've listened to so far (Tuff Turf, and Foodfight), but I did really enjoy the Flophouse episode on Bratz, and the HDTGM episode on Spice World. I don't know, there's something about ripping apart dumb teen movies that I find way more entertaining than say...dumb sci fi or dumb action.

TheRealGunde posted:

I still don't get it. What possible reason can an employer have for not liking that his employees have hobbies outside of work?

I think most people haven't yet grasped two things. Employers haven't grasped that people have a presence on the internet outside of their work, and it's personal stuff and doesn't have anything to do with their job (after all, why can't people be a little silly in their downtime?), and some employees haven't yet grasped the fact that they can be googled by employers, or family members, and stupid things that they wrote about or said or did could become public. In regards to my review show, I at first tried to keep my information completely separate from my online identity, mainly so that my family wouldn't find out (because i guess I thought they'd find it stupid, or be overly critical), and also so that prospective employers wouldn't find it too easy to track me down (and I used a different username to the one that I'd used since I was a young idiot of 14.) Thing is, after a while, my show got linked to my Twitter which has my real name on it, and my family found out, so I didn't keep the secret very well. I doubt it would cause much concern if it was found out by employers (unless they were homophobes, because the show is primarily about LGBT cinema), but I think if you didn't know about it, you probably wouldn't find it in a cursory google. I do, however, try to keep critical or specific information about my workplace out of my Twitter or Facebook, because that's the sort of thing that *does* get people fired, or not hired. But the idea of not being able to have a hobby outside of work? I think the employers of YITB were crazily overzealous if their jobs would be in jeopardy for doing a podcast. And if that were the case, people really should have respected that, and not gone all internet detective on them.

bobkatt013 posted:

Thank god Tuff Turf is on Netflix. This movie is the most insane thing I have ever seen.

Oh my god, Tuff Turf...I mean the trailer looked rather special... (Oooh, James Spader's so TOUGH! He's on his bicycle!) but from the sounds of the WHM review...it's even more insane than the trailer made it look.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

laz0rbeak posted:

I love Tuff Turf, and WHM. Although my favorite is when WHM deals with movies they kind of like.

Well, they kind of liked Tuff Turf? I watched it. I can confirm its insanity, its sleazy, rapey vibe, bizarre shifts in tone, and a blazing undercurrent of homoeroticism. For some reason, I seem to enjoy bad movie podcasts about really dodgy teen movies and girly movies especially. Loved the Flophouse's episode on Bratz, the HDTGM one on Spice World, and WHM's Tuff Turf was so great. I also listened to their review of This Means War, which I also thought was excellent (the review, not the film). I remember seeing the trailer for that in the movie theatre, and at the end, I could very clearly hear someone in the theatre simply saying "No." My thoughts entirely.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Hewlett posted:

Alcohollywood's got up our Oogieloves episode now - some of you were wondering about how we might fare with this fucker, so I thought this might interest you. The results were...intresting, and possibly quite sad. :eng101:

Excellent episode, and a great companion piece to Flophouse's Oogieloves episode. I remember seeing the trailer for Oogieloves, and my face was just..instantly transformed into a rictus of disgust - holy poo poo, what a misguided movie. There's this stupid idea that kids' movies have to be bad, but…from the sounds of it, it'd be way easier to do a halfway decent kids' tv show or movie with practically no budget. I mean…I absolutely loved Old Bear Stories as a kid, and I doubt that had an extensive budget. What the hell did they do with all of that money? Was Cary Elwes really that expensive?
What's the criteria for picking a movie for Alcohollywood? It doesn't follow the "bad" theme that most other podcasts do. Is it just anything that you think would be interesting to talk about?

Also, I hate to tell you, and it's a nitpick, but puffins can fly.. I think you were thinking of penguins. So..what do you know - the Oogieloves actually got something right!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Hewlett posted:

Thanks for the nice words! As for our criteria for picking movies, there are many different factors we go into - first and foremost, we do have listener requests, which take up the vast majority of our picks (sometimes we even get suggestions from people who think we're actually "Hollywood"; basically, they're pitching movies to us like "nat king cole's life story"). Other than that, though, we try to frame them around holidays, what movies guests would like to do, and our own wish lists. We also celebrate Connickuh (we watch a Harry Connick Jr. movie every Hanukkah), so that's another determiner. Hell, we're doing The Lady Vanishes and Fight Club the next couple weeks, so we are definitely no strangers to watching quality films - though talking about what you LIKE about a movie is often harder than ripping apart a bad one, so I understand why most movie podcasts focus on hilariously lovely movies.

Yeah, I feel bad posting in this thread sometimes, as we're not a "bad" movie podcast per se, but we're basically of the opinion that every single movie can have a drinking game made for it - and by God, we're going to try.

Also: Thank you SO MUCH, I loving knew it was a puffin! :buddy:

It's always nice to have some kind of criteria. I have a review show (video reviewing, not podcasts), and my criteria is LGBT movies/TV, and period dramas (there's also an overlap - you'd be surprised how many LGBT movies are also period pieces.) There's something to be said for having a theme other than "bad", and I'm not just talking about market share - while attacking a bad film can be a lot of fun, if all you ever do is watch bad movies, after a while you start losing the will to live. Good movies do present a different challenge though, I agree - but I bet you're really looking forward to Hitchcock and Fincher after the Oogieloves.
The drinks thing is really awesome - do a lot of listeners report that they try the drinks, or do the drinking game? Do you tend to get a more positive reception for reviews of good movies that everyone loves, or for notoriously rubbish movies?

I'm sure you get a lot of suggestions for stuff to review, but if I'm ever going to suggest one thing to you, it'll be my favourite (so) bad (it's good) movie - The Watcher - which stars Keanu Reeves as a gay dancing serial killer, stalking a drugged-up James Spader, who is the FBI agent trying to stop him. It's every bit as special as that sounds, and it's bad in just the way that I love. I've never yet heard or seen a comedic breakdown/review of it, apart from the one I did myself, but that was my second video, so the production quality is really quite bad. I'd absolutely love if someone else took a crack at it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Hewlett posted:

Haha, thanks! I don't think either of us expected it to turn out that way, so I'll just chalk it up to both of us just being flabbergasted at the film's very existence; it was a lot of fun though.

Hewlett, I'm quoting you just to point out the fact that I've been listening to several Alcohollywood episodes, and I absolutely love your style. I have just one criticism, which you're probably going to ignore, but it's just one thing that bothers me. I'm not particularly fond of when podcasts/video reviews suddenly get derailed because the hosts have to go on at length about how sexy one of the characters is. It's one thing to mention that a character or an actor is attractive, especially if it's relevant to the plot (like if the actor is really nice looking but the movie treats them like they're hideous looking), and it's probably just me who gets bothered by it, but I did find those bits in the Fight Club episode, where your guest couldn't stop going on about Brad Pitt, or the Clue episode, when everyone talked about Yvette's breasts for 5 minutes, a bit...unnecessary (that goes for any gender or sexuality, I'm not trying to claim that it's inherently a sexist thing, more of a pointless thing).

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Do you do much editing of the show? It seems very well put-together, but at the same time it is relatively conversational. I'm assuming you chop out any awkward pauses though (I'm only used to video editing, not audio on its own.)

Also, Hewlett, I know this isn't the right thread, but I just thought I'd say...with the help of another goon, I recently was able to rediscover the thread for SPEEDING UP: ON THE STREETS - IN THE AIR, which I was looking forward to not just for the original text, but also, your amazing dramatic readings. Seriously, those things made me crack up so much at the time, and they're just as funny now - especially since..in text format, when you're reading it, your brain skips over most of the horrible, incomprehensible stuff and makes sense of it, but when I heard you reading it...it truly struck me just how batshit insane the writing style of that book was. I did much of the illustration in that thread, but I'd say you put a lot more work in than I ever did.
(Also, how hard was it to read that book without cracking up?)

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Hewlett posted:

Holy poo poo, you found that? What's the link, I've been looking for those since I lost the recordings. I've been meaning to get back to that sometime and finish the book. Come to think of it, I do also remember your illustrations, they were pretty great too!

As for your questions, there's a fair bit of editing that goes on; most of the time, it's awkward pauses, the occasional obnoxious taking of breath or stammering, etc. Sometimes, it's even useful to take out the times when one just says a lot of meaningless words just to buy time before your actual statement (kind of like Perd Hapley does in Parks and Rec), which I'll cop to. Our raw recording sessions typically last about 75 to 90 minutes, so I like to get it down to between 60 and 70; luckily, there are usually enough unrelated tangents I can safely cut out. I'm glad it's rarely noticed though, I try to make the edits as seamless as possible.

The link's right here - but you'll need archives (I think) as it wasn't Goldmined. I would be so goddamned happy if you finished the book, it's not even funny. That thread really deserved more love than it got, but the few people who went there were definitely devotees. (I actually got archives *just* so that I could see it again - because I had all these illustrations I could show people, but very little context as to what batshit insanity I was actually illustrating.)

Edit: gently caress, new page. Suppose I better say something about podcasts about bad movies then!
Hewlett, how many requests do you get - and do you turn many of them down? I'm assuming that if the movie is just..really lame and boring, or really hard to get a hold of, you don't do it?

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 2, 2013

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I am, of course, going to request THE WATCHER, but I am not in the US, and have no idea how sending them a voicemail by Skype would work. Really would prefer just sending in an email, but...eh, maybe I'll chance it (does this computer even have a microphone? I'll have to use a different computer.) Coincidentally, The Watcher falls into their 10 year rule, even though it's not a requirement.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Well I appear to be the only person in this thread who really liked Yeah, it's That Bad.
The Flophouse is decent, but I prefer WHM.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I think a lot of it really does come down to personal taste, and that's completely fine. For some reason, I really find WHM's tangents hilarious.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, my favourite kind of bad movie is a bad drama, because bad action is usually just lame (explosions and bad one liners), bad sci fi or horror can be pretty stupid but since I don't care much about sci fi or horror as a genre, there's not a vast yawning gulf between bad and good in my mind, and bad comedy is usually just unfunny and painful. A bad drama, however, turns into the most beautiful, ridiculous comedy there is.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm so glad my phone cuts the media audio off when the headphones come out. Specially when I'm in the middle of one of those fplus episodes.

Oh dear god, when I was at work, upstairs, waiting for my supervisor to talk to me....I was trying to kill some time by browsing Cracked or whatever, and I accidentally started playing the Pokegirls episode of the F Plus, which was in one of my internet tabs. That's...not something you want to have start playing in a workplace environment (I didn't have headphones plugged in, because I wasn't actually trying to listen to or watch anything.) Let's just say I jammed my finger down on the minus volume button as fast as humanly possible.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Honestly despite listening to the entire WHM catalog, many twice, I cannot really distinguish any of the dudes.

Yeah, for some reason I have trouble telling them apart too. I think they just have similar speaking patterns and similar voice registers, similar backgrounds, they're probably a similar size, blah blah. On the other hand, Elliot Kalan has like..that squeaky high voice, and the Yeah, it's That Bad guys all had voices of different high-ness and pitch, so it was easier to tell them apart.

In terms of nice radio voices, I think I'd have to rate Alcohollywood as the ones who sound the most like..well..radio presenters, or people on non-comedy podcasts. Then again, it's not as if they spend all of their time reviewing bad movies, so there aren't as many shrieks of indignant rage.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
To be honest I was a bit disappointed that WHM did a movie for Listener Request that they would have done anyway. I would have preferred they watched something they hadn't heard of, or did another ridiculous Lifetime styled women's drama or..I dunno (I guess I'm really hanging out for someone to review my favourite bad movie, The Watcher.) Mind you, I still really enjoyed the episode - it just seemed like a bit of an easy pick for them.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Hewlett posted:

You're in luck, we're actually doing The Watcher sometime in April!

Oh my god thank you thank you thank you I am SO happy. You have no idea how much joy The Watcher brings me. brb going to draw you some ridiculous fan art or something to say thanks.

Edit - yes I know that was a weird post, but I feel some Speeding Up level kinship with you, as both of us struggled through trying to represent that book. Anyway. The Watcher. I look forward to it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Hewlett posted:

Hey, if you make Speeding Up-level fanart for it, it will go up on the site, and we will audibly react to it on the show.

Depending on how much time I have/what I get around to, I can probably make something better than Speeding Up level fan art. But yes! When I make something, you will be the first to know.

Also, in the spirit of Alcohollywood - have you ever tried to recreate a drink that you've seen on screen, and/or tried to sync up your drinking with the character's drinking? I know that there's a drinking game for Withnail and I where you have to match Withnail's drinks (substitute vinegar or vodka for the lighter fluid.) It's a game that would probably kill anyone who seriously tried it, since I think he drinks about 57 drinks onscreen. And then there's stuff like Zodiac, where Jake Gyllenhaal is seen prominently drinking one of the most ridiculous drinks ever imbibed by a man in a non-comedic fashion onscreen.
I also have to assume that if you were to ever review There Will Be Blood, there would be some kind of milkshake based drink involved.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, that bit made my skin loving crawl. They mentioned American Beauty, and I agree that the comparison works, but I'd also mention a little known film called Beauty, which shows how loving creepy and wrong it really WOULD be for a man to creep on the nubile child of his best friend, a child that he'd known since birth and who considered him an uncle. Except in Beauty, the situation plays itself out in a much more realistic fashion - no one has any idea that the "uncle" wants to bang the kid, least of all the kid himself - until the last minute, when all his creepy stalking ends with him raping his friend's son. I mean...if you're going to do a story like this, at least acknowledge and recognise that it's just...really really gross and unsavoury, and stop trying to make it into a romantic sex romp or whatever the gently caress.

bobservo posted:

I might be alone in this, but I prefer the WHM episodes about romantic comedies because these movies seem to be the least aware about how messed up they are (Addicted to Love, The Pallbearer, Babycakes, Date with an Angel). I know sexual politics were a little different in 1984 but GOOD GOD what were these people thinking when they read the script?

Oh, I completely agree. I mean...silly action movies have a certain sort of predictability to them (Oh, that acting was really over the top/bad! Oh, that explosion/effect was insane/really terrible looking!), whereas bad romcoms/romantic dramas/sexy thrillers/family movies or whatever...are all horrible in beautifully unique ways, and I love to see them being taken down. And I mean..in a bad action movie, when a guy does something weird and bad, he's usually the bad guy - whereas in a movie like Mrs Doubtfire, you're supposed to think that everything's lovely and sweet when in fact it's weird as gently caress.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Let me just say I am so glad that you reviewed this - and you did a much better job than I did when I reviewed it. For one thing, you pick up on all these plot holes that I forgot about, like....why the hell he moves to Chicago, and what's with the drugs he takes, and...what even. I'd say there's no words for The Watcher, but I have said so many words about The Watcher since I watched it first, so I guess there...are a lot of words for it. So many, probably because it's just so bizarre and unfathomable and crazy. One of the first episodes of my internet review show was a review of The Watcher, but sadly my on-camera skill wasn't particularly good, so it's probably best left un-linked. In that review I evaluated The Watcher almost more as a bizarro gay movie than as a serial killer movie, so you've brought up a lot of points that I didn't think that much about.

I never even knew who did the cinematography! I guess it just goes to show how much a terrible director can gently caress up the whole film.
This was actually the first film I ever saw James Spader in. I didn't even know who he was before this, and so for quite a while I thought of Spader as "that lame guy from The Watcher," which I'm sure you'd agree is very, very sad.

I originally described Keanu's accent/delivery as "the voice of a lobotomised gay robot." I referred to the "killer vision" as "Keanuvision", and decided that he had cheap camcorders for eyes. When you talked about the phone call, I thought you were about to say "every time Keanu and James Spader have a conversation, they have terrible phone sex." It really wouldn't be that much of a stretch, given how terrible The Watcher is. Man, what a sick bromance it was.

I didn't pick up on the Chicago connection, I'd laugh if, say, SNAP! was still there (if it ever existed.)
There's just stuff about the movie that I loving love, like the get well card that says "Sorry for your loss. BECAUSE WE'RE FRIENDS" - as if you wouldn't send someone a sympathy card to express sympathy if they weren't your friend, and you're only sorry if they're your friend. There's so much wrong with the movie it's just the perfect bad movie for me, in every way, and I'd love to do your drinking game if I get the chance (too bad very few of my friends think The Watcher is as hilarious and amazing as I do.)

I personally think that The Watcher WOULD have been a generic crime thriller..if they hadn't cast Keanu Reeves, and if Joel Charbanic wasn't so incompetent. It's the inclusion of Keanu that really lifts this movie from genericness, to Lobotomised Gay Robot Keanu madness. While it looks like a legit movie, and technically is a legit movie, it does just about everything wrong, so I think you can class it in the same category as something like The Room. I mean things like the toilet...most people would have just used a brick for that scene! It's almost like Charbanic TRIED to be as bizarre and bad as he could.

I must admit that I'm very surprised that you didn't have "What I need, Joel...is YOU" as your finish your drink line. That's the wham line of the whole movie! Keanu had a gay crush on Joel THE WHOLE TIME (not that it wasn't obvious.)

Your theory about the snippets of movies stuck together made a lot of sense. My personal theory is that the whole of The Watcher is just a dream that James Spader had about his boyfriend, Keanu, and there's a scene at the end where he wakes up and he's like "God, I had this terrible dream, where you were this weird serial killer and you just kept..chasing me, and dancing, and...." - because it's sort of disjointed and crap, like a dream you'd have about someone you knew, and it's stupid and nonsensical - like a dream you'd have about someone you know, and wake up and go "what the gently caress was that?" (And then you'd probably resolve never to tell the person that you'd dreamt about them.) My other theory is that the movie is very similar to The Dark Knight, with Keanu being the Joker, and Joel being Batman, and Marisa Tomei being Rachel Dawes (there's even the warehouse and the flaming crap!)

God, I didn't even remember that Keanu got shot in the shoulder. It's pretty astounding that this movie was done after Keanu's Matrix success. A movie about John Serial probably would have been better.

Oh god, Chain Reaction was hilarious. Morgan Freeman with his glowing blue science! The fact that Keanu Reeves and Rachel Weisz looked the same, and had the exact same haircut! Amazing! But I still like The Watcher better.

tl:dr; I am dangerously amused by The Watcher.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Pretty much everyone I've introduced to The Watcher has had a different opinion of it (and everyone I know who's watched it...has done so because I've told them to. It's not an especially well known movie, and most people I know were a bit too young to be tricked into seeing it in theatres, like Kevin from Yeah, it's That Bad was. I tried to convince him to review it, but I was unsuccessful). It's one of those movies where there's just about no universal reaction to it, and yours doesn't break the pattern.

I think how you feel about the movie sort of depends on what you were expecting going in and what you wanted to get out of it. The first time I watched it, my friend and I were like "so I've heard about this ridiculous homoerotic movie where Keanu is a gay dancing serial killer, let's watch it!" So, since we didn't know or care who James Spader was at the time, we were just focussing on Keanu, and his weird crush on Spader, whom...in this movie...really isn't much of a catch (he's tired looking and a drug addict), so for us it was hilarious. From the sounds of it, you were watching it more like it was a proper crime film, and you know who Spader is and have memories of him in better things, so for you it was probably a lot less funny and a lot more awful.
I told another friend to watch it, and she just thought it was Ok, and not that bad. I showed another friend, and he didn't even get how it could possibly be funny, probably because he wasn't paying much attention. And another reviewer and his brother watched it, and they also agreed it was ridiculous and hilarious.

Since I review queer movies, whenever a weird killer/stalker movie comes up, I have the opportunity to compare it to The Watcher, which is always special. Believe it or not, while it was made by legitimate directors (well, it was made by a legitimate cinematographer), Windows is an even worse and far more boring version of a similar kind of story, and is probably the worst and most offensive "legitimate" movie I've ever seen (and reviewed) - and in terms of character reactions it makes even less sense than The Watcher. I've often thought about trying to get bad movie podcasts to review Windows, but I don't enjoy hearing about it nearly as much, so probably not.

I really enjoyed the kidnapped by Keanu subplot, it definitely fit with the special nature of the movie. Oh, also...Keanu stole that girl's cat so he could sit in the car and stroke it evilly because why not. It's like a cliche lasagna. You go "Wow, I can't believe you really went there, Joe Charbanic! That's so amazingly stupid I didn't think anyone would actually do it...but there you are!"

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, I prefer WHM to Flophouse, because they seem to dig up more interesting bad movies, as opposed to Flophouse, which tends to review movies that are just...lame. Also, the whole "we talked about the movie for twenty minutes and now there's an hour of singing and recommendations." I dunno, I like how in Alcohollywood there's recommendations for "a companion piece to this movie", but that's really right at the end and only takes a couple of minutes. If I start listening to a podcast about a movie, I want the overwhelming majority of the podcast to be about, well, that movie.

tldr; don't think Flophouse is as good as WHM and I didn't even get into How Did This Get Made. Guess it's all personal taste.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Just listened to the new WHM. Wow, The Butterfly Effect really does sound like a poisonous little movie. I remember hearing about it when it came out, and I had no idea it was so...uncomfortable sounding (I suppose in my head it was going to be more time traveller's wife-y or something, I wasn't labouring under a serious misapprehension, I just never cared enough to find out more.) I think that they were right, in terms of...when you go into a movie like, say, Mysterious Skin or American History X, you know what you're going in for and you're sort of...prepared for it, you're ready to deal with it, and it's handled well - whereas with a movie like the Butterfly Effect, it's sort of....nasty themes made into a movie by people who really didn't have the capability to handle them.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

A Meat posted:

WHM might have accidentally created the super villain "Baby Boomer" who goes around exploding babies with sticks of dynamite.

The Butterfly Effect is probably my favorite episode of theirs in a while now, and I really enjoyed their collective character of raspy film bros as the ones who wrote the movie.

Oh god yeah, that was cracking me up.

And yes, they do touch on the alternate ending! I knew about the ending before though, since I'd listened to the Yeah, it's That Bad review of the same movie, and I think the alternate ending was the only ending they saw in that one, since they didn't mention the other one. So the whole WHM review I was like "come on, strangled foetus time!" only for them to say the movie ends with that other thing. I was then like "oh what the hell?" only to find out that the film was SOOOO EXTREEEEEME that it had more than one ending.

All in all, it comes off as sad combination of Donnie Darko and a poor man's Looper, even before Looper was invented. One really does get the feeling that the writers were watching a whole bunch of SERIOUS MOVIES like..well, David Fincher and American History X and Donnie Darko, and them combining them into a horrible conglomeration, that misunderstands everything about the original films they took inspiration from. You can tell these guys wanted to be Tyler Durden and thought that a fight club would be soooo kewwwl bro.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Now that I think about it, there was a paedophile neighbour in Donnie Darko as well, but because that wasn't the whole point of the story, the movie didn't obsess over it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Flython posted:

Yeah he's a real Pedophile Excited Terrifying Extrovert.

Enjoyed the new episode but the stoner dudes started to grate after a bit, totally accurate though.

Ahahaa oh man, what episode did that PETE thing come from? It was that one with the digital denzel washington - Virtuosity - wasn't it?

It's strangely appropriate, since "Pete" in my mind will always be sadly associated with paedophiles, ever since I had the misfortune of reading Alfie's Home.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I imagine it's Mortal Combat. It came out in August, it's stupid, 10 year rule, white guy karate etc.

Yeah, I also think that those kinds of movies are a bit...too easy for them to do. I tend to prefer it when they review bad, weird "erotic thrillers", or romcoms or lifetime, rather than silly movies about martial arts or whatever else - because those tend to be bad (and so-bad-it's-good) in exactly the same way.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

ALSO! No one talked about the Alcohollywood episode on Super Mario Brothers! That was an awesome episode, it actually inspired me to subject my friends to the movie at a party I had last Friday. I LOVED that movie as a kid (I think I was a dumb kid), and I was amazed at how well I remembered it. That movie is burned into my brain, every scene or line I recall almost verbatim. And you know what? I kind of love it. It's a giant mess, but it is a fascinating mess.

We didn't do the drinking game though. Opportunity missed - sorry.

That episode was fantastic! I'd rather never see the film ever, but oh boy, was it ever ripe for taking down and they did a wonderful job.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

weekly font posted:

Mailbag episode confirms Mortal Kombat. Boo.

Ugh, such a boring choice :(

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I thought it was because he tried to stop the woman and the baby being blown up by the mailbox bomb, and he got blown up instead.

I think my favourite WHM eps have got to be Tuff Turf, the Glass House (I couldn't stop cracking up whenever they said glass anything in that episode), Foodfight, the Butterfly Effect one was fantastic as was Mrs Doubtfire, North and, hell, even Casper. I think when they do a silly kids' movie or a bad Lifetime movie or a "heartwarming" (creepy) movie it generally ends up being fantastic, as well as those skeezy erotic thrillers. When they review something dumb and karate-ish, or a boob comedy, it's still fun - but I don't think those episodes end up being as funny because everyone knows that those movies are bad, even people who like watching them, and they tend to be bad in just the way you'd expect.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Oh I laughed so hard in that Mailbag episode where Secundus was the guy's history teacher.

Also I'd like Swordfish, as I haven't heard a review on that, and I'm wondering...why is the password always Swordfish? It's a trope on TV tropes but it's never explained why. Did one movie just do it and then everyone copied them or something?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Ah, I see. I've pretty much only seen the "a night at the/a day at the" movies and The Big Store. Fantastic stuff, I especially love the Big Store.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Was I the only one having trouble listening to this week's WHM because of the wet smacking noises? Because gross.

Oh god, yeah, I hated listening to their impressions for that reason. It produced a similar reaction to being forced to watch someone eat with their mouth open.
I don't think they did that impression when reviewing other Burt Reynolds things, I can't remember them doing that in The Fuzz or Cop and a Half.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Hewlett posted:

Since Alcohollywood gets brought up occasionally on here I thought I'd reveal our lineup for August through October, since we've got it figured out:

The UHF episode will see the return of former AV Club head writer/writer of Weird Al: The Book Nathan Rabin.

Great line up! Well..I'm not too fond of horror movies, but it's Halloween, so that's to be expected. I wish you were doing NOES2 instead of 3 though, that movie's so hilariously homoerotic. But yes, if you're doing the third of every movie for your third Horror October that makes sense too :p

I never watched The Horse Whisperer but I did read the book a whole bunch of times when I was young. I'm sure if I were to revisit it, I'd realise it was kind of terrible, but for an 11 year old, it was pretty great.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I suppose that's true. After all, if you don't have a strict set of rules for what movies you select, it must take a concerted effort on your part to keep all the selections varied and balanced.
What about films like Love Story or Ever After or Titanic? I suppose not strictly "housewife" movies, but if you're talking about movies with stereotypical female appeal...

It's funny, because I too find myself reviewing more dude movies (in that the movies I review tend to be about dudes.) I think it's just a symptom of the fact that the majority of movies still tend to be..well..about dudes, often made with a male audience in mind. Plus, in my case, there are way more queer male films than queer female ones, and most of the queer female ones are so boring and rubbish I can't bring myself to watch them. It almost does take a concerted effort to pick/watch/find movies that are about women, and also worth talking about.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Speaking of children, horrendous or otherwise, has anyone else listened to the Alcohollywood review of Clifford yet? Jesus christ, that movie shouldn't have been allowed to exist. It's just as well the world at large seems to have forgotten about it. What an abomination.
Excellent review though. Was this movie known of at the time it came out? Or was it quickly forgotten about/buried in a pile of other releases or something?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Oh god, that looks like a horrible face swap - right up there with that Aaron Eckhart fantasy movie poster (Neverwas?) You've just reminded me though - I need to catch up on the movie posters thread.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I wasn't so big on Pippi. I loved Mrs Doubtfire though, and Invisible Child too is a fantastic episode.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Septic Knothead posted:

I just listened to one of the older episodes of WHM-- episode 89 The Rapture. At the beginning Andrew makes reference to an edit he makes to the podcast due to "recent events" and not being comfortable with describing the scene. Can anyone enlighten me as to what those events were and what the scene was? what were the recent events he was referring to? I am going to guess it might have been the Sandy Hook school shooting, but as the podcasts don't seem to be date stamped, I can't tell for sure when the file was originally posted.

I looked it up, as I listened on the site, and yes, it was Sandy Hook. At least going by the dates.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Pretty much anything that ever was covered by Lifetime Movie Reviews would make a fantastic episode. My Stepson, My Lover, or..hell, if they ever did the not-lifetime-but-still-terrible domestic violence movies Sleeping With the Enemy, or Enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
The Dirt Bike Kid is also amazingly, beautifully horrible. Featuring horrendous green screen, a sexually aroused dirt bike, a horrible prematurely sexually mature kid and a kid who spends $50 for groceries on a stupid vehicle and isn't portrayed as a brat.