Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

GraPar posted:

Flop House's Haneke/Herzog tangent was an all-timer

This just moved up in my listening queue. Herzog's Walking With Dinosaurs was a classic as well.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I don't know about 2 but Butterfly Effect 3's twist ending is the guy's sister can time travel too and is killing his love interests because she's in love with him. so it's one of the most insane movies ever.

I would seriously believe you if you said this happened in one of the Ender's Game books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Someone should do a podcast version of CTOTD. Or maybe a digest telling you where to skip to in the movie to get the best bits. And not just the bad movies, the crazy commentaries.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The TV theme song digression on last week's We Hate Movies How Did This Get Made? The Dissolve Slate Culture Crab Festival WTF Who Charted? Welcome To Nightvale Doug Loves Movies Uhh Yeah Dude Keith and the Girl My Brother, Your Brother, and Him The Buzzhouse shows they really are at their best when not discussing the movie. The whole letters segment is easily the best part of the episode, and probably one of the best letters segments ever.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

A great Flophouse with one of the best starts ever. I hope they keep playing Radio Zork, and I'd love to see Hayley Mills as Blofed. It's a podcast about talking.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I could've sworn there was a Flop House episode about CBGB up yesterday. Now it's gone. I guess I dreamt it.

Well, that is the one that's up now. Brokaw & Caine, back in action.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

CountFosco posted:

Is this an appropriate thread to talk about other podcasts on film like filmspotting and battleship pretension?

What is BP like? I've been listening to More than One Lesson (which I guess sort of qualifies for this thread if you consider that they've covered several 'Christian-marketed' movies, most of which are not good).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

CountFosco posted:

What is more than one lesson like? They mention it at the end of most BP episodes and I've never bothered checking it out because a look at movies from an explicitly christian perspective didn't strike me as that interesting.

I enjoy BP, although they can wander off track quite a bit. Also, they talk about reality tv way too much, but at least they save it for the end of the episodes, so you can skip over them easily.

Most of the full-length episodes don't get deep into the explicitly Christian analysis (and yes, that includes reading from the Bible) until after a lengthier discussion of the film, so you can sort of skip out once that happens [although sometimes it happens in between the main film and the companion]. Of course it is infused with a Christian world view — they tear into Eat Pray Love because they think living only for yourself is selfish and wrong, although it's not them just saying, 'God says this is wrong'.

The 'minisodes' are pretty much free of the Christian-perspective discussion, intentionally so, and only cover one film or other topic. I'd give one of those a try to see if you like the host[s]. The early episodes, as with most podcasts, are not that good and should probably be avoided. I haven't really liked any of the 'special guest' episodes that much, except for the Corbin Bernsen episode, which is a must-listen.

They often trash the movies that are marketed to Christians or have found a Christian audience but they find fault with (The Blindside is a good example, and the episode on Darren Doane's Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas is another good one ). In some ways they almost seem like a counterpoint to some of the more toxic ideas in American Christian culture; I just listened to Braveheart and they have harsh words about the "Wild at Heart" philosophy it inspired. Tyler Smith, the host, is a bit right of center and comes off as very reasonable and contemplative.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Christian Mingle is a classic Flophouse episode, especially as someone who heard Corbin Bernsen talk about the movie on More Than One Lesson.

The bit about JDate and Blackpeoplemeet had me close to tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

theironjef posted:

Weird complaint but does it seem to anyone else like Elliot Kalan has horrible live mic discipline? When they do live shows it always seems like he's slowly moving the mic away from his mouth with each sentence. They need to fit him with one of those TED talk headsets.

I've kind of noticed that. It also seems to me like the last two episodes had really low audio. It's like they didn't have enough mics for everyone or something, or just went with people sitting wherever they were in the room.

That said, I love that they did do these quick takes, since I couldn't wait for the Cats episode.