Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I like both The Flophous and HDTGM, but Elliot's songs in The Flophouse are way better than the abominations that HDTGM uses for second opinions/corrections and omissions.

Also, the Flophouse mailbag is usually funnier than Paul Scheer answering letters by himself, why can't June answer them with him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

No Elliott on the Flop House until February is the worst news ever. Just because he got a new baby and an important new job on the same day is no excuse!

Hallie is great; I like her more when she interacts with Elliot but if I were to add a new flopper, she would be my first choice.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Jack Frost and Deck the Halls were great HDTGM episodes; Harmon was great, June was great, the second opinions were quite depressing and awkward, I loved it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I've been listening to WHM for months I can't remember the guys names nor associate the names with voices or personalities (unlike the Flophouse, in which it was pretty easy), but I just love when they do impressions. Ape Tim Roth was great in this episode, but my favorite is still George Lucas.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So this week's Flop House had Jessica Williams from TDS as a guest. I really like her as a correspondent, but she was really quiet during the podcast, it was kind of a waste. I hope they bring Hallie back some time soon, she has better chemistry with the Flop House guys

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm a little dissappointed that Nathan Fielder had so little to say, specially since he is Canadian. Still, a good episode.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah, you are making it seem worse than it actually was. The baby was an "issue" a couple of times and I really didn't mind, I mean, why would I be upset over a baby interrupting my free bad movie podcast? Is Sharknado 2 so important that the discussion must not be interrupted by anyone?

I think they just brought the baby as a "fun" thing and then they realized it wasn't a good idea because of the crying. I doubt they'll do it again.

radlum
May 13, 2013

LIKE TEN DICKS posted:

the WHM gang is pretty easy to tell apart imo, Andrew sounds like he's wearing a fedora and has a really affected way of talking, Steve sounds like he is eating or about to eat something, Eric sounds like Randall Skeffington, and Chris is the loud guy who never makes good jokes

I tried this for the Rocky IV rerun and I still can't pick them apart. It was quite easy in the Flop House, I don't know why I can't do it for WHM.

Anyway, good rerun, Rocky IV is a terrible movie, but I kinda like the idea that Rocky manages to end the Cold War.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Rincewind posted:

I really liked how they kept alternating between Paulie, drunk scumbag trash man who probably hosed that robot, and Paulie, paragon of childlike innocence who's just sad because his pet frog escaped at Apollo Creed's funeral.

He totally hosed that robot

radlum
May 13, 2013

Flython posted:

I just want them to get something that calls for an entire episode of New Yorker impressions.

"Oh Marone!"

drat this break has been rough.

The New Yorkers were pretty good, however, this rerun has left me wanting for more Wilford Brimley impressions.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Beeez posted:

I've not really gotten into Flophouse because I already have enough podcasts to listen to and the sound was so bad in their first episode I couldn't get through it. Could I just listen to episodes featuring movies I'd like to hear mocked, or is it so in-joke-y that it's not worth bothering?

It's the kind of thing were if you are an old fan you enjoy it more, since there are some (not many) callbacks, like Dan's blandness/recommending movies he saw on planes, Elliot's friendship with Anne Hathaway in High School or Stuart's three recommendations (Invisible Maniac, Castle Freak and Head of the Family) and ding dongs being ripped off. However, just pick a bad movie you've seen and give it a listen.

Either way, try the Oogieloves and the Foodfight episodes, those are two of my favorites since the movies they are reviewing are unbelievably awful.

radlum
May 13, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

Smalltember Smallvember concludes today with A Talking Cat!?!

Is The Flop House the first of the bad movie podcasts to tacke this movie? It was pretty much made for them. The only dissapointing thing about the episode, no House Cat =(

radlum
May 13, 2013
So this happened: http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-december-dynamite-2014-solicits/1100-149834/

The Flop House guys are gonna write a Flash Gordon holiday special. That sounds pretty good, though they don't have an artist yet; I guess it's time for June and Jason to catch up and join Paul in a The Phantom New Year's special.

radlum
May 13, 2013
The announcement was too long, but the episode was good. The movie was very forgettable but Hallie is a great guest.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

I kind of wish she was a permanent host.

Yeah, I would like to see her as the fourth flopper (or flopette?). I wouldn't be surprised if the guys have already discussed that with Hallie and they haven't been able to convince her yet.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I can't believe WHM ruled out Creepshow! Is anyone going to shed tears over doing that as a We Love Movies episode?

Next week starts their horror movie month so it's going to be C.H.U.D. 2: Bud the C.H.U.D.

It was CHUD 2. I liked the episode, it even convinced to look for this movie and CHUD 1 (with the CHUDmentary). That bit about Jesus was great.

radlum
May 13, 2013

cams posted:

June's "stance" taken on the newest HDTGM is one of the most egregious things I have ever heard.

She is going to get Paul killed.

I still don't understand how that marriage works. Good episode, I liked that having two women allowed to discuss the themes a bit more than the Flop House did when they watched this movie.

Also, cat eyes at the end of every movie is the best idea the WHM guys have had in a long time.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gargamel Gibson posted:

On How Did This Get Made they jump all over the place and describe the movie very incoherently.

On We Hate Movies they usually go into too much detail. The plot descriptions are as long as the movies themselves.

The Flop House gets it just right. You get a pretty good sense of what the movie's like/about, and it moves along at a nice clip. All in all I think the formula they stick to is effective.

Note: I do like We Hate Movies though!

I think you nailed it. Each podcast has a different approach when dealing with the movies but I think the Flop House, even with their tangents, get it right most of the time. I compared the three podcast doing Easy Rider 2 and I ended up liking the Flop House episode more because it felt much more focused (but the other 2 podcast have their own strenghts as well).

Maybe if we took Elliot, June and one of the WHM guys (I still can't tell them apart) and put them doing a podcast we'll get the perfect bad movie podcast.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yesterday's Flop House had probably the least time devoted to actually discussing the movie I've heard on any podcast (Dario Argento's Dracula 3D), but it was overall a very funny episode.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Flop House AMA with Dan and Stuart:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2jq9fv/iama_dan_mccoy_and_stuart_wellington_of_the_flop/

radlum
May 13, 2013
It works the opposite way for me. I enjoy the in jokes, the rants, the tangents and the pitches more than actual movie discussion. In a way, I like the Flop House for the same reasons that I liked Arrested Development, it's a thing that adds up, rather than stand alone, which is a virtue and a flaw at the same time.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I think one of the podcast did Tiptoes, the "Gary Oldman is a small person" movie. It's a terrible movie

radlum
May 13, 2013

The Senator Giroux posted:

Well, the Monkey Shines episode is a great episode of HDTGM if you want to hear June maybe going completely insane towards the end.

I think I may be going insane as well, I actually understood what she was trying to say. We joke about why is she married to Paul, but the crazier she gets, it starts to make sense.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I was surprised that I didn't hate Matt Mira that much in the HDTGM episode. Maybe I would give James Bonding a try; Mira was one of the reasons I hadn't listened to it.

This week's Flop House had pretty much no discussion of the plot of the film....but it's From Justin to Kelly, I don't know who would care a bit about the plot of such a terrible movie.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm also on the Flop House FB group and though it can get flooded with dumb "I'm drunk/bored so I'll put whatever crosses my mind" posts sometimes, it's actually a very nice and friendly place (though if you are not a huge fan of the Flop House, I think you'd better look elsewhere)

radlum
May 13, 2013

OctoberCountry posted:

If you're like me and rarely listen to the How Did This Get Made? prequel episodes, you should drop everything and listen to the latest one. June makes her debut and it's as awkward and hilarious as you'd imagine..

So Paul has been doing the pre episodes for about 100 times and just now June learns what they are about? The more I learn about her, the less surprised I am that she married Paul.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Godzilla and Addicted to Love are amazing if only for the Matthew Broderick impressions

radlum
May 13, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

Yeah, the mask really slips on that one. Though, my god, that bit was not funny enough (i.e., at all) to go that long.

EDIT: The bit I'm thinking of wasn't actually the last straw, but he was slowly losing it in the run up.

Yeah, the Julie Andrews bit wasn't funny at all, but I love it when Dan just loses it. I guess Dan doesn't want to play up the "boring average human" character he has, but Elliot and Stuart are very good at bringing it back, Dan just can't help it. This is second only behind the time Stuart and Elliot kept interrupting him while he was trying to promote a charity his wife worked for.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

The live Flophouse was fun. Special guest star David Lastnamewithheld Kalan shows up at the end and its pretty great.

That was my favorite part of the live episode. Also, surprised at how normal his voice was. Now I want an episode that it's just him, Hallie and Stuart doing Housecat noises.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Ochowie posted:

Could it be The Other Woman? Nicholas Coster-Waldau is in that and it was pretty awful.

I hope it is. Pompeii and Dracula Untold seem too obvious. The Other Woman would be at least a bit different

radlum
May 13, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The lack of June on the Zardoz episode of How Did This Get Made is severely disappointing. If there was ever a movie perfect for her commentary, that would be it...

Yeah, that was a huge missed opportunity. That movie and June would have been the perfect pairing.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I laughed at the fat guys farting jokes a lot, I'm the audience for those terrible 80s comedies

radlum
May 13, 2013

Brocktoon posted:

I'm really pumped that HDTGM did a second Zardoz episode so June could have her say...but no Jason. :smith:

We need Jason to encourage June to be at her weirdest, Paul is not that much of an enabler.

Also, the more I hear June and Paul interact the more I'm convinced they aren't actually married

radlum
May 13, 2013

Tomahawk posted:

Petition to ban Andrew from further using the phrase "tall glass of water"

Yeah, I don't get it either. Is that an American thing? a New York thing? is it literally a reference to drinking water?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Tato posted:

It takes a few presses of a button to skip the crap ads, I don't mind them at all. But the audio issue stuff is loving weak, that should never happen again. The last two episodes might be good but I'll never enjoy them or re-listen with audio quality that bad.

On the flipside, the tie-in articles on Slashfilm have been pretty good. I felt bad for everyone they interviewed on Theodore Rex.

I liked the articles. Also, I'm kind of glad they are actually answering the question of How Did This Get Made?

radlum
May 13, 2013

PUGGERNAUT posted:

As long as they still have that 1 theme song I'm not listening to it.

They went back to the old theme song. Also, they had Tatiana Maslany as the guest.

I'm not surprised that June's father is as oblivious to things as she is. More stories about her family would be fun.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Can someone tell me why people like the McElroys? Their FlopHouse episode wasn't bad, but it had a weird feeling, specially during the final judgment and letters part. Still, I enjoyed that one of them remembered to make a Housecat cameo

radlum
May 13, 2013

piratepilates posted:

HDTGM for me is never about the movies (I've seen maybe one or two of them), it's about the comedians. You have to separate the movie from the performance and just listen to it as a bunch of comedians making jokes about a subject, the subject being a bad movie, not about comedians criticizing a movie.

Yeah. I think it has been established before that the main 3 bad movie podcast serve different purposes. WHM is the best at dissecting the movie piece by piece and making jokes about the movie (and some running gags); HDTGM is about the comedians and the guests and The Flop House is about the tangents and the host's characters (HDTGM is the worst because of all the ads tough)

Also, haven't listened to the Death Spa one because who cares about Horatio Sanz? Just give me more Adam Scott and Andy Daly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

The Senator Giroux posted:

I was about to post this, although if you hate them yelling, this isn’t for you. But they did legitimately sound heated. Hell, I was heated listening.

Because like you said, Zouks and June are right.

I usually don't mind the yelling but this episode they really went to the next level with all the yelling. I liked the conflict but at some point it became too annoying.