Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh hey, I'm not crazy for finding How Did This Get Made completely obnoxious! I think the Super Mario Brothers episode was the last straw for me, they spent half the time bickering over NOTHING and missed out on a lot of insane stuff in the movie they could have mocked. Flophouse is way better - when I'm out of new podcasts I just pick a flophouse episode at random to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr. Lariat posted:

My biggest complaint over the last few months is them dropping any attempts to tell you how the movie unfolds, earlier episodes and other podcasts talk about a film scene by scene and if you haven't seen the film you could still summarize it to another person. Their lack of focus over the last few months has turned it into an explanation of a few wacky scenes or premises with no indicator of the pacing or flow of a film.

YES. Exactly. The one that really started to grate on me was the Sleepaway Camp episode. Someone - June, I think - didn't understand something, and they spent 10+ minutes bickering about it. Not about some weird goofy thing in the movie - about the basic facts of the plot they could look up on Wikipedia in 2 seconds and then move onto something interesting for funny. I think it was about how some characters related to each other. And they hadn't explained any of the plot or characters to the listeners yet, so I couldn't even understand what the argument was ABOUT until later in the podcast. And everyone on the show has such a loving huge ego that they all have to get the last word in. It was MADDENING.

Also, they actually liked The Odd Life of Timothy Green, so much that they didn't point out ANY of the outright batshit crazy stuff that happens, instead spending all their time talking about how the movie made them cry. What a waste of potential - coincidentally, The Flophouse did that movie the same week and knocked it out of the park.

(Maybe that was a prank on the audience though, Tim Heidecker was their guest on that episode and it seems like the kind of thing he'd do.)

In general, I realized it was time to unsubscribe when I found myself hitting the skip ahead button on my iPhone to jump past the arguments to the actual funny bits. On EVERY episode.

Edit: Looking back through this thread I see this discussion has already been had, so sorry if I started a derail. I'll end it by saying this thread made me discover We Hate Movies, which is now right up there with The Flophouse for me.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 17, 2013

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

OldTennisCourt posted:

It doesn't help that they tend to talk over each other A LOT.

You know when you start saying something, and someone else interrupts you, and both of you wait for the other to speak? And then you both start to speak at the same time, and repeat the process?

That's HDTGM. All the time.

It's funny when it happens once or twice, but when it's an entire podcast of that, I can't listen to it anymore.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Calaveron posted:

YEAH JUS' PUT HIM IN YOUR FRONT POCKET BUDDY, DON'T LET HIM HOP INTO THE GRAVE.

PAULY I TOLD YOU, YOU GOTTA KEEP YOUR FROG AWAY FROM THIS FUNERAL.

NO DON'T GET YOUR SHOES ALL WET, THEY'RE NEW! PAULY COME BACK! I AIN'T PAYING FOR NO NEW SHOES.

People kept giving me weird stares at the gym.

Haha, yes, I JUST listened to the Rocky 4 episode. It always bugged me how much of a loving manchild Paulie was in that movie. It felt kind of shameful to watch.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Also you know how he beat Adrian when she was pregnant

YES. I had never watched any of the Rocky movies before, and when Rocky Balboa came out, I marathoned all of the for the first time, so it was fresh in my mind. Why the gently caress was he friends with him still? Why would they be hanging out? He should be estranged, forever.

I also don't like Adrian's personality change over the movies. In the first one she's PAINFULLY shy - Rocky practically rapes her in one very uncomfortable scene from the first. But then later she's just the bland, doting wife, and any uniqueness of her character from the first movie is gone. She even LOOKS totally different.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Al! posted:

What the hell is fart rock?

Usually it's called "butt rock". I've never heard anyone call it fart rock before this. Really generic, power-chordy rock. Basically what you use when you don't have the money for actual licensed music.

Maybe fart rock is the easy listening dad-rock version of fart rock?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

You know how final fantasy had way overorchestrated final boss themes in the playstation era, and it was all latin choruses and poo poo? FFX had some nice butt rock as the final boss theme as a departure

Appropriately enough, it was also the music in the opening cinematic, which was a stadium sporting event. So it's literally an arena anthem butt rock song.

... God, why do I know these things.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Did anyone catch how they softly played "Get Away" from Arrested Development every time they said the movie's title in the latest WHM? Masterful.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Last Action Hero is a national disgrace that everyone would collectively like to pretend just didn't happen.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Last Action Hero is tongue-in-cheek and hilarious, hth.

You and I saw a different movie, I think.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I saw it as a little kid - in theaters - and even then I knew it was boring and dumb. Combine that with many repeated viewings on TV with an awful pan-and-scan version. You'll never change my view of that movie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Illinois Smith posted:

If you listen to Patton Oswalt's tales of punch-up sessions for lovely movies it's probably the other way around.

Where can I find these?

Call Me Charlie posted:

Actually, Last Action Hero is the classic hollywood story of a studio buying something good and passing it off to so many writers that they completely ruin what made it attractive in the first place.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/last-action-hero

Wow, that explains so much. I'd like to have seen the original version.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Soooooo...

Are just not going to talk about this week's We Hate Movies?

I'm still trying to get through it. I'm really glad this movie was aggressively forgotten. Jesus.

Edit: "I was just remembering the first time I kissed you. It was at your Christening. Your mother was powdering your bottom and I said I wanted to be the first man to kiss it. And I leaned over and I did."

"How dare you drive a tiny baby wild with desire. *giggle*"

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 4, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I think Michael Caine will take any role offered to him because the dude just loves acting, or he sees any role as a chance to improve his skills. He's apparently been in 115 films in his career.

Still, he should have broken his rule for this one.

Caine famously quipped in an interview that he hasn't seen Jaws: The Revenge, but he has seen the house he built with the money he made doing it. He's an unapologetic working actor.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They were able to express what I find awful about a lot of King's books better than I've ever been able to. It really feels like he's making it up as he goes. Its amazing to me that he sometimes writes a good book.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh wow, I just hit the episode that introduced the housecat, and hes made up. For some reason I thought Dan owned a cat, and Stuart was just making a noise whenever the cat walked in

If you're listening to the episodes in reverse order like I did, you now know that the Housecat will never be mentioned again. Just wait til you hit Elliot's first episode.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hewlett posted:

Thanks for the comment! (sorry it's so late, it took me awhile to get around to responding)

Yeah, we were definitely taken aback by the movie, and since Jared had accidentally double-booked himself on another podcast we just ran with the "Keanu kidnapped him" thing, and we might have been able to use his perspective on this episode. Still, we had a blast reviewing it, and when Jared came over the next day to record the intro/outro/drink hostage video I showed him the final scene, the cemetery scene and the lighting-his-own-car-hood-on-fire scene. Jared simply replied that he was glad he could sit that one out.

That FYD line is probably a better one, honestly, but so often our eyes would just glaze over at the sameyness of the over-the-top yet somehow banal dialogue, we just decided to end it on that note.

Just wanted to say that I finally went and checked out your show, and I'm now working my way through the archive. It's awesome and it's among my favorite podcasts now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RagingBoner posted:

Edit: They were both massive commercial successes. That must have been a strange era in film.

I thought that too, but look at this list of 1970s highest grossing movies: http://www.teako170.com/box70-79.html

It's mostly Bond films, Godfather 1 + 2, Rocky movies, Star Wars, and other movies that are still considered classics. Nothing really too bizarre or unexpected. And then... This movie.

Why did everyone want to see a movie where Clint Eastwood beats people up and has an ape? Who is the demographic? I have no clue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Unnamed One posted:

Also Clint was one of the biggest stars of that era, and a lot of his movies are on the list ("Dirty Harry", "Magnum Force", "High Plains Drifter").

Yeah that's really the only explanation. I just checked out the trailer - man, were trailers lovely in the 70s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFr91atHqE

It totally reeks of desperation, they were obviously banking this movie on Eastwood alone.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mojo Threepwood posted:

The WHM episode "Every Which Way But Loose" was excellent, I think one of their all time best. My favorite part was the tangent about the ape possibly being forgotten in the truck and dying while the theme plays. That, and the "blood boiling" and "used to be!" callbacks.

That and Eastwood tending the rabbits. Yeah, this was a great episode.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

I also think they could use a little more structure, sort of like the Flophouse has. It often devolves into three (or four) people talking over each other much like HDTGM. Something simple like the Flophouses' "this guy goes over the plot summary" goes a long way towards keeping thing coherent.

Woah, I'd never go that far. It may not be as structured as Flophouse, WHM never gets into outright arguing like HDTGM does, which is why I stopped listening to it.

While Flophouse definitely has great content, I kind of prefer WHM now because they spend a lot more time on the movie in every episode. In the Flophouse it almost feels like they rush through the movie to get to the letters and recommendations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Flophouse has its ups and downs, and yeah, they seem to be cursed with picking boring movies and not having much to say about them. But when they're on their game, they're loving HILARIOUS. I love both podcasts, but WHM just has more content and is more consistent. I'll always listen to both, but WHM is my favorite.

I've also been going through the recent archive of Alcohollywood, and while at first I was disappointed that it wasn't strictly bad movies they're reviewing, I've started listening to the good movie episodes and appreciating them as well. It's not exactly the same thing as the other podcasts, but it has its own appeal.

And HDTGM... Is just frustrating to listen to. I won't start that debate again though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

cheerfullydrab posted:

I stopped listening to Flophouse because of everything that has been brought up and that one dude just being WACKY and talking over everybody and generally grating. With WHM they discuss the movie, let each other speak, and they're funny. Plus lots of old-school Simpsons references.

I don't feel that way at all. Yes, Elliot is the most active on Flophouse, but there's barely any times when they're actually talking over each other. All of them seem to be collectively contributing, with Elliot leading the discussion and delivering the most rapid-fire jokes - but everyone is riffing off his energy.

In fact, I thought the Any Which Way You Can episode was especially good, and addressed most of the faults I DO have with their podcast - they spent a lot more time than usual focusing on the movie and did a great job summing up its craziness. I think if they seek out more movies that are crazy, fun, good-bad movies instead of snoozefests, they'll focus on the movie more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Flophouse just feels like the focus isn't on the movie, it's on the guys talking about the movie.

Yeah, this - thankfully it doesn't happen all the time (although far too often than usual recently). Again, this episode was an example of how well they do when the subject matter is a lot of fun. Seriously, I thought it was a great, great episode.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 5, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

You'll still find people out there that defend it as a misunderstood masterpiece and claim that the alternative ending makes the whole film.

Without having seen the movie, but knowing the alternative ending, I kind of assumed that was the case. Now that I know the actual details of the plot, it makes it extra loving stupid - there's so many things he did wrong for NO GODDAMN REASON other than the plot decided something really shocking was needed.

Or maybe that does make the alternate ending make more sense - he was just too stupid to live, and he needs to end his bloodline because his idiocy destroys everyone around him.

I kind of like endings that troll the audience, though. I loving applauded at the end of Repo Men - it was a giant gently caress you that made a stupid movie 180 into hilarious. I choose to believe that was intentional, and that Butterfly Effect's was not, though.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 7, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I haven't seen Hamburger, but the racism they mention involving the black student/singer and the black cops actually sounds... Pretty clever? It sounds like dragging in a black guy and forcing him to attend was making fun of the "token black guy" trope of the time, and a bunch of black cops attacking the burger joint is actually a pretty funny subversion of stereotypes.

That said, this is the same movie with the "400 club" and, well, everything involving the Latina revolutionary classmate, so maybe it's not THAT clever and really just is racist...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm quite surprised to hear so many people actually liked Mystery Men - I never saw it when it came out, I always just assumed it was crap based on... Well, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmHBFgIoX0

Talk about a dogshit trailer. It actually has Smashmouth's All Star. And god drat Disco Inferno.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hewlett posted:

To be fair, the film has All Star too.

For me, Mystery Men has a lot of fun charm to it, but doesn't ultimately hold together - it's the ultimate uneven movie. I also think the Tim Burton rumors are ironic, since the film's look seems to be overtly referencing Schumacher's Batman movies (which would have been the most contemporary Batman movies to mock/homage at that point).

Ouch, actually having All Star in the movie is NOT a point for it. Every time I hear that song it feels like the producers scored the movie, not the director.

Why would you even BOTHER to parody the Schumacher movies? They're already self-parodies. Are there any other superhero parody movies that did this? Most of the ones I know of focused on people with no powers trying to be superheroes in a very grounded world, like Super.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Its not a movie but Tick did it really well. They also brought up how it came out the same year as Galaxy Quest and that was how you do a parody correctly.

Ohh. Good point. I guess the Tick kind of does fit into that... Although I always saw it as a little more a parody of B-movies and such than Schumacher Batman (in its set design and aesthetic, I mean). As for Galaxy Quest, my girlfriend loves that movie, so I guess I should give it a watch.

ALSO! No one talked about the Alcohollywood episode on Super Mario Brothers! That was an awesome episode, it actually inspired me to subject my friends to the movie at a party I had last Friday. I LOVED that movie as a kid (I think I was a dumb kid), and I was amazed at how well I remembered it. That movie is burned into my brain, every scene or line I recall almost verbatim. And you know what? I kind of love it. It's a giant mess, but it is a fascinating mess.

We didn't do the drinking game though. Opportunity missed - sorry.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 4, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Some of the animated series episodes could not be released since Marvel might have a case to sue for copyright violations. The Tick just parodied the entire concept of superheroes and their universe and its amazing. Another comic book parody is the original Ninja Turtles. It was just making fun of Frank Miller's Daredevil. You should also get on Galaxy Quest as soon as possible.

Yeah, I'm a huge Tick fan, read the comic and seen both the live action and animated show. I was specifically talking about the set design and such of the Tick live action show - I'm not sure it really was intended to be a direct parody of specifically the Schumacher Batman movies. And Galaxy Quest is obviously a take-off on Star Trek and other sci-fi movies. So are there ANY other movies that parody the Schumacher Batman movies outside of Mystery Men? I think it may have been the only movie to try that - got to admit, that takes balls, even if it didn't work very well.

"Superhero Movie" doesn't count, of course.

Edit: For a second I was relieved that Superhero Movie wasn't Leslie Neilson's last major film role, and then I realized that "Stan Helsing" (aka Scary Movie 5) has that distinction. Nooooooooooo

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 4, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Infamous Sphere posted:

That episode was fantastic! I'd rather never see the film ever, but oh boy, was it ever ripe for taking down and they did a wonderful job.

You really should. It's the right kind of insane crazy fun-bad that's great to watch with friends. Never a dull moment as soon as they enter the dino world.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fentry posted:

If anyone is wondering how How Did This Get Made would handle the responsibilities of having a new baby and also regularly recording new episodes apparently the answer is to just bring the baby to the recordings where they constantly scream at each other and have the audio of a crying baby in the background of the entire episode. Jesus Christ
I unsubscribed from HDTGM specifically for these reasons, but I'm going to download the Sharknado 2 episode just to see how bad it got. I guess I'm now not only a fan of bad movies and bad movie podcasts, but a fan of bad bad movie podcasts...!

Infamous Sphere posted:

Speaking of children, horrendous or otherwise, has anyone else listened to the Alcohollywood review of Clifford yet? Jesus christ, that movie shouldn't have been allowed to exist. It's just as well the world at large seems to have forgotten about it. What an abomination.
Excellent review though. Was this movie known of at the time it came out? Or was it quickly forgotten about/buried in a pile of other releases or something?

Seriously. What a pile of poo poo - and what a great episode, good job Alcohollywood guys.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

radlum posted:

I tried this for the Rocky IV rerun and I still can't pick them apart. It was quite easy in the Flop House, I don't know why I can't do it for WHM.

Anyway, good rerun, Rocky IV is a terrible movie, but I kinda like the idea that Rocky manages to end the Cold War.

I love how much time they spent on Paulie. In a movie with a lot of baffling poo poo, the fact they let Paulie hang around is definitely the most baffling for me. Yes, even more than the robot. Why are they letting this abusive, alcoholic baby-man freeload off them?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I have a bad movie podcast with my two brothers. Oh Brother, Did We Watch That.

Didn't see any comments on this, but I've been checking it out and really enjoying your podcast. You and your brothers have great chemistry, and I loved your riffing with your dad on the Masters of the Universe episode. Just get a new mic and you're set!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tracula posted:

I've tried to listen to How Did This Get Made a few times and it has always seemed so lovely and forced. It's not fun and seems so goddamn staged. Am I alone in this?

No, you're not alone. It sucks. It sometimes manages to be tolerable when they are able to let someone describe the movie, but too much of the time it's everyone trying to talk over each other.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

rotinaj posted:

I was just listening to the episode released on Death Spa, and it's really bad. Talking over one another, like you said, Jason getting really upset because some shoddy writing didn't spell out "there ghost is moving from her brother to the computer and then out to other things like the diving board or wall tiles"... They're picking on really stupid stuff to try to justify it being a big live episode.

Is June on the show because she is dating Scheer? They alluded to that in this episode, and if so, holy gently caress dude.

The worst ones for me were the Sleepaway Camp episode where they spent an absurd amount of time arguing about a really minor plot detail (I think it was how a character was related to another), and Super Mario Brothers, which was filled with so much bickering I had to stop half way through. When started regularly hitting the "skip 10 seconds button" on my podcast player to try and avoid the bickering I realized it was time to delete it from my feed.

The weirdest one was The Odd Life of Timothy Green - they all... Liked it. And talked about how it made them cry. Huh? Tim Heidecker was a guest on that episode so my guess was he was loving with them, or convinced all of them to go along with the joke. Because that movie is batshit stupid.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 30, 2015

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

De Nomolos posted:

Excited about my weekend plans to watch King Ralph and No Country for Old Men and eat 2 BK meals. Think I'll do the Chicken Fries and then a Whopper.

Which one will you eat first, and which one will be delectably ice cold?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Heteroy posted:

It may just be a matter of seeing Bogus Journey way before Excellent Adventure, but I enjoy it much more. Excellent Adventure felt a bit empty and plodding when I finally got around to seeing it.

No that's pretty accurate. Bogus Journey is by far the better movie of the two.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm genuinely surprised they all concluded that Excellent Adventure is the better movie. I thought the general consensus is that Bogus Journey holds up better. The first one wears thin and drags on after a while, and Bogus Journey in general is more clever and inventive.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rodyle posted:

No, EA is mostly considered the better one.

Weird, I remember liking BJ a lot more. Maybe it's been too long since I've seen them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Boondock Saints 2 is probably my favorite episode, just for how MAD they get. They really hate that movie and Troy Duffy. Blame it on Rio is a close second, it's the most disgusted they've ever been.