Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Dr. Lariat posted:

Every movie podcast needs a June, this Jack Frost episode is amazing.

E: Oh no, those second opinions are so funny I died am now posting as a resurrected snow man (it works, don't tell.)
Totally, that was a stellar episode bookended by two amazing moments: June's version of the start of the film, and the review from 2004 at the end. If you're looking to destroy a human in the space between the start and end of a paragraph and you're shooting for lowest word count, that review does a really efficient job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

I love it when We Hate Movies turns into We Love Movies. I just love how by the end of it this weeks episode they effectively figured out that they watched a Batman movie.

They've talked before about how much they wanted a movie they were watching to turn into a secret Batman movie, and now it's finally happened!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Mrs. Doubtfire was my childhood introduction to "unsympathetic rear end in a top hat wins back ex from good-natured rebound spouse" films. To date, my favorite example of the genre is a made-for-TV movie called Christmas Do-Over. It's basically Groundhog Day, but Christmas. Unlike its contemporaries, the main character is under no uncertain terms the villain, and the most sympathetic character is the ex-wife's new fiance. Jay Mohr, the psycho presented as our hero, spends the movie studying all the wonderful things the fiance does for his ex-wife. Instead of learning about how the fiance pays more attention to her and thus developing as a character, he uses his Groundhog Day powers to learn how best to either sabotage the fiance's plans or steal them for his own. The end result is an entirely innocent man watching the woman he loves get taken away from him over the course of one day by an irredeemable human that did not learn anything from the experience except how to use miracles to cheat.

I'm planning on submitting the movie to the next WHM request month :xd:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

RagingBoner posted:

Kinda ho-hum WHM this week compared to the poo poo show last week.

It's hard to follow up a movie whose alternate title could be "Exhibit A"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Paul is a rare man who prays that the baby looks as little like him as possible in the delivery room.

I think if anything is guaranteed it's that the baby will look like Paul for at least the first year or so

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

weekly font posted:

The inanity of that movie is somehow understated by that podcast, as brutal as they were.

They should've cut sporadically back-and-forth to low volume white noise to get the feel of the "memory warehose" scenes across

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

They could release a version with Elliot's singing clipped out, called Crophouse

Or they could clip out Elliot altogether and have it just be Stu and Dan getting drunk, called Slophouse

Or they could just release Elliot's greatest hits on their own podcast, called Top of the Pophouse

Words that sound like other words.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 26, 2014

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The Duke posted:

The whole riff on the California Raisins on the newest Flophouse made me cry with laughter.

Both that and the Russo-Italian folklore tangent floored me. They went totally off the reservation this week, which does tend to happen when there's nothing in the movie to talk about.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

It's a Marx Brothers reference, from the movie Horse Feathers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySqec8WrEQQ

Oh, by the by, watch Horse Feathers

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Louis Anderson, The Last Entertainer is the best WHM tangent in forever.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

We Hate Movies; their hint for next week's episode was "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze"

They're also taking August off for summer vacation :( though they did say there'd be surprises, so I'm hoping they recorded some buffer content.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

But really, why don't Tim Beeman kill his wife?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

"I'm not having a hard time making fun of this movie, 'cause it's a bad, stupid movie, but this is a GREAT fuckin' movie!"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Isn't it Chris who does the "When would I kill myself in a movie" gag? That's one of my favorite runners.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Rincewind posted:

I think it's Steve who does that-- but the other guys also put some thought into when Steve would kill himself in a movie.

You're right. Last night I was doing housework while listening to Blame it on Rio (easily a top five episode) and they go deeply into the subject of when Steve would kill himself. That tangent does include the Chris Cabin Suicide Film Festival, though, which is loving great.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Flython posted:

I just want them to get something that calls for an entire episode of New Yorker impressions.

I do so treasure our adventures to Garbage Island :allears:

I'm looking forward to the gang's return too, mostly because they teased that they'll start taking calls for Listener Request Month almost as soon as they get back. I was originally going to request the skin-crawling, paint-peeling Christmas Do Over, but I'll spare them this time because hoooooly poo poo have I found one of the most perfect We Hate Movies movies ever.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Already got my call in for WHM listener request month:

Look at that poster. Look at that cast. Know that the movie centers around house hiding. Become self-conscious of your less-awesome requests :smug:

Also from the sound of the hint for next week's episode, it's Timecop. I mean, it could be something else, but it's Timecop.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

drat now I'm getting self-conscious because some of these movies sound really stupid :(

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Since they quote it constantly, I'm betting on Theeeenaaah

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Smalltember Smallvember concludes today with A Talking Cat!?!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Last week could be considered the start of the Spooktackular if you find fresh steamed corn particularly scary

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Here's what I called in with:

I'm hoping it can be their election day special.

I bet they get over a hundred perfectly good suggestions (and another hundred or so unsuitable ones :v: ), so there's little chance of any of us getting our selection, but half the people who suggested Foodfight were goons...

Congratulations, dude!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The Substitute, if I recall correctly. (efb)

For the second part, I seem to remember North started something like "...and We Hate North SO GOD drat MUCH"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I figured they were talking about John de Lancie, knowing them

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Hey, guess who just went to check that Letterboxd page to see what the last movie of the request month would be?

On a related note, hey, guess who just spent five minutes running in a circle and screaming?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

I just looked it up. What is so special about that movie?

I requested it :xd:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Having an audience to play off of can be a huge boon for a comedian, and the energy that HDTGM crowds tend to bring is certainly infectious.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Good for you! It's an excellent pick!

Thanks! I downloaded the latest episode and skipped to the very end to make absolutely sure, and the hint was "Tim Matheson" so now I'm vibrating with excitement again!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

Just make sure you don't tell us what it actually is!

I want you to guess, silly :rolleyes:

Buried Alive, a thriller from 1990 made for the USA Network

I don't want to spoil too much since it's a proper doozy, but I will say, a house becomes the territory of a hider :ssh:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Hellllll Yessssss

Buried Alive was a staple of mine in the 90's, and whenever I stumbled across it on cable I wouldn't shut up about it for weeks because it's just so loving crazy. I love that they love what I love :allears:

Also thrilled that they're interested in Buried Alive 2. I would favorably call it the Gremlins 2 of Buried Alive. Like for example, they request the deceased be double-embalmed and buried in the sturdiest casket known to mankind. It also continues to contain Tim Matheson, reprising his role as Kind Goodperson Clint Goodman.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The idea of an undisturbed grave is just folklore :colbert:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

Can anyone explain to me like I'm 5 what the Sebulba and Secundus WHM running jokes are about?

They're about the Abraxas episode, which is a pro-listen.

Edit: I mean the Secundus bit

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 3, 2014

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

HEY KEWL!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

bobservo posted:

Great episode from WHM, and I gotta say Look Who's Talking Now had much less dog content then I expected. I don't even think they fully entered the discussion until around 50 minutes in.

No joke, at about the forty five minute mark I pulled up my audio player to check how far in I was because, uh, wasn't there a fuckin' dog in this movie?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

They've also mentioned that they can't put the back catalog on iTunes because they used to use music they didn't have rights to for episode intros and outros.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

With HDTGM and The Cinema Snob's Midnight Review, that's the third time I've heard a group of people try to explain Winter's Tale

Life or death, gun to the back of my head, I still couldn't tell you what that movie was about or why one scene follows another

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Gyges posted:

Which movie was it where they realized toward the end that it was a secret Batman movie?

Pray for Death. It was magical hearing them slowly realize it was the secret Batman movie they've always wanted :allears:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

WHM episode went up early, and I didn't see this one coming

Hint: not Transcendence :confused:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

My instinct reaction was The Forgotten, too. I saw that poo poo in theaters, but didn't even remember that until I came across the ticket stub recently.

I guess you could say it was forgettable :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

After some straining, I can remember three things about The Forgotten:

1. I kept thinking "what a lovely X Files episode" the whole time

2. I've never laughed harder at cop death

3. Its ending is exactly the stupid bullshit you were afraid it was five minutes in