Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The 47 Reagans posted:

In addition to The Flop House, HDGTM, and The Greatest Movie Ever (all fine podcasts), I'd also recommend We Hate Movies: http://www.whmpodcast.com/

The hosts (four-ish guys in NYC) are both funny and pretty informative, and they tend to talk about movies that are a little less covered by the other bad movie podcasts. Any episode featuring a Jim Belushi, Michael Caine, Wilford Brimley, or a Gary Busey movie is a good starting point.

We Hate Movies is fantastic. I initially didn't think I was going to like it because the main host (Andrew Jupin) plays up his anger a little too much, but they do a great job of staying on topic and mining the tiniest logical fallacies out of any movie.

I'd also like to recommend Yeah It's That Bad; the guys don't have the deepest insight into movies, but they have an amazing chemistry and the show is extremely well-edited (which rarely happens on even professional podcasts). The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie episode is probably a good place to start with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

brainsforbrains posted:

Oh heck yes, I'll second Deadly Friend and Friday the 13th. Also their Twister episode is amazing.

I don't even like Star Trek, but their episode about Star Trek Insurrection was gold, especially when dealing with Picard's dismissive treatment of Worf.

"...Whatever, freshman."

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

NotWearingPants posted:

The WHM "Taking Care of Business" episode got me thinking... has Jim Belushi ever done a single thing that could be considered good or funny? I scanned his imdb page quickly and didn't see anything, but there's just so much there. How does a person like this continue to get work?

I think he made some cameos in funny stuff (like Little Shop of Horrors) because he knew a lot of comedians. Dan Aykroyd has been in just as much garbage, but he's a lovable kook so no one really cares. Also, Ghostbusters.

And the observation that Adam Sandler is the new Jim Belushi totally killed me. Is Mr. Deeds his Taking Care of Business?

bobservo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 8, 2013

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I think Best of the Best 2 was We Hate Movies' first installment of We Love Movies.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I love when they do episodes about seemingly innocent and lighthearted comedies that end up turning into repulsive psychodramas. The movie I suggested for listener request month falls right into this category.

Also I loved how they tore into Broderick's character like they did with Schwimmer; all of these quirky leading men from the 90's played amoral psychopathic cowards.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

FYI, Yeah It's That Bad had been doing viewer requests (which they sold off for $50 a pop) for the past few months, and they'll continue doing them until they run out. Weirdly enough, most of the fans have been requesting movies that they actually like, which seems completely contradictory to the point of a bad movie podcast.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 17, 2013

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

I think that Podmass might be great if it covered new things more often. Right now it's the same X amount of podcasts which really, if you're a subscriber, then chances are you've heard it before they've covered it. I've found a lot of great new things thanks to their article but it seems odd they remain insistent on covering the same stuff (Particularly when they have a section that covers 'bad' episodes that week - just don't cover them then).

It really feels to me like Podmass is less of a best-of column and more of a "Here's what happened on Earwolf and Maximum Fun this week, and maybe a few other things we we have time."

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Today's Flophouse was my favorite in a long long time. It's like 10% actually talking about how stupid Red Dawn was and then 90% just being hilarious.

Jesus, I came here to post that. They were on fire in this episode.

bango skank posted:

Jesus christ gently caress whoever decided to edit Yeah it's That Bad the way they do. I wanted to try it out since I love WHM but I've listened to everything they've got, so I downloaded an episode and barely made it five minutes in. The way it's cut gives it this schizophrenic, frantic feel to the whole thing. Someone will say something funny, they'll stat laughing, and like a second into the laugh it just cuts to them talking more. It's unnerving and felt like it was going to give me an anxiety attack. I don't have any idea how people could listen to this on the regular.

They pared this down over time. I think they're getting burned out with making episodes and don't spend as much time on them anymore.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 16, 2013

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

For those interested, the We Hate Movies app is worth two bucks -- even though downloading the damned thing can be kind of unfriendly (I had to download a separate app just to download theirs). The bonus episode is fun, and I was looking for a way to give those guys money, anyway.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Gyges posted:

Does it actually provide a good interface to listen to episodes?

It's really no easier than just downloading through their website, iTunes, etc. -- but I feel the same way about all of the other individual podcast apps I buy and never use. I bought it to give those guys a little cash and access the bonus podcasts.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Loved the episode, but was slightly sad The Flop House didn't do North. Ebert seemed to have a particular disdain for that movie.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Flop House spoilers:

"Robot cowboys pick up the DinoSwords and do battle on the plains of imagination."

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

That's a pretty lousy deal, seeing as the YITB guys made a concerted effort to protect their identities. The podcast was kind of on an upswing, too, since they cleared out what felt like a year of listener requests and got back to choosing their own movies. It's always lovely when employers put their foot down on harmless personal projects.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah, It's That Bad just dropped their last episode, where they actually acknowledge and discuss the problems some people had with the show. Someone also wrote a great send-off to YITB, and the comments section explains why they had to end it: apparently, a group of fans discovered the identities of the three hosts, and went to them with the news. Joel, Martin, and Kevin basically replied (politely) with "if you reveal this information, then we'll have to end the show." The fans called their bluff, and that's why it's over.

The show's content rarely rose above PG-13 levels, so I'm guessing one of the guys simply isn't allowed to do creative projects outside of work. It wasn't my favorite movie podcast, but it's sad to know that I'll no longer have an outlet to listen to those guys.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 15, 2013

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Holy poo poo the comment from the guy who tried to unmask them was one of the dumbest things I have ever read. They wanted exposure for their own lovely podcast so they decided t reveal their names and places of work? What kind of massive loser do you have to be to do that?

It's completely hosed up that a bunch of assholes decided to ruin YITB for the sake of "a pretty popular blog."

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

It seems weird to me that a job wouldn't allow you to do creative things on the side, but I guess this is more common than I thought? Would his job have been equally compromised if he was caught like making dreamcatchers and selling them at a flea market?

As someone who's produced a podcast for the past few years, I can definitely say this problem comes up every now and again; it's needless paranoia, but some employers can be dicks. I guess I don't really understand the repercussions of someone finding out you did something on the Internet, because we're all kind of doing stuff on the Internet every day.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Anyone listen to the app-only bonus episodes of WHM? It seems as if A Side Order of Sleaze is going to be spun off into a more regular thing.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

moleman posted:

Context helps the comedy and provides the show some loose structure.

Yeah, a lot of the jokes on HDTGM kind of lose me because they're reliant on context that the hosts know but I don't. I think We Hate Movies does the best job at telling jokes while taking you through the plot of a movie.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Urdnot Fire posted:

Probably won't listen to the other parts of the podcrawl, but the Flop House's Attack of the Clones episode is out. I had forgotten how utterly goofy that movie was.

Glad they mentioned the "Who da man? Yoda man!" ad campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d1dR2170o

bobservo fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 18, 2013

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

This commercial is like the last dying gasp of the 90's.

That one's for the DVD release, but The Flop House was correct in noting Fox hastily assembled the whole "Yoda man" campaign for the original release after everyone freaked out about the Yoda fight. I think that commercial was the main reason I never bothered seeing it.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

Only recently listened to that Ghostbusters II episode of WHM and it was so good. It's strange that film has any goodwill towards it because it's loving dreadful. It's a poor rehash of the first movie, with a bunch of poo poo that makes no sense (I totally didn't clock that everyone has seemingly changed professions for no reason). It's a classic case of "We don't have a script in shape. But it's ok, we'll just make it funny on set!". It also feels oddly mean spirited sometimes.

I was born in 1982, so, like Andrew, I saw Ghostbusters II first and didn't understand why everyone thought it was so bad. But with a little perspective, I quickly realized it's a miserable, cynical, cash-in that overwrites the events of the first movie because the writers couldn't think of any better ideas.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The latest We Hate Movies about After Earth is phenomenal -- I can't remember the last time they've been so mad about a movie.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I hate to be a butt, and the WHM guys seem extremely resistant to asking for money, but if it would make these live episodes listenable, I'd gladly donate. It's frustrating because each one has been consistently unintelligible, which means I have to wait another week to hear a new episode. I'm sure they could scrounge together $100 - $150 to buy a mixer to run their mics through whenever they do a live show.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I might be alone in this, but I prefer the WHM episodes about romantic comedies because these movies seem to be the least aware about how messed up they are (Addicted to Love, The Pallbearer, Babycakes, Date with an Angel). I know sexual politics were a little different in 1984 but GOOD GOD what were these people thinking when they read the script?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

In case you missed the announcement, WHM has a new episode of Animation Damnation about the Teen Wolf cartoon: http://whmpodcast.bandcamp.com/

OldTennisCourt posted:

I truly think Blame it on Rio is the worst movie that We Hate Movies has ever done. There may be films that were produced worse, filmed worse or had worse acting, but holy poo poo that line everyone here has already quotes was stunningly bad. The writer HAD to know that line was going to totally destroy the rest of the movie right?

Definitely the most vile comedy they've done, and WHM has covered some bad ones. I suggested Overboard (1987) during their first listener request month, and I was bummed they didn't use it, because that so-called "comedy" has a premise that could easily be rewritten into a horror movie.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 10, 2014

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Is is just me, or has Dan gotten noticeably drunker during the last few years of the show? Not that I would want it any other way.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Guys, I'm pretty sure Hamburger: The Motion Picture is just casually racist in a way that was permissible in the '80s.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I really enjoyed the Retronauts episode about the Spirits Within. I had never seen the movie but they did a great job of explaining the production background, the story, and the reception it had. Definitely an episode worth checking out, it was Retronauts Live Episode 51.

Hey, thanks for the shout-out! I loved doing those episodes and was happy we hit the major video game movies before all of the big podcasts did.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Jupin's Mark Wahlberg was really top-notch.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Halloween 3, I think.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

"You've crushed all of her invisible bones! And the doctors can't put her back together BECAUSE SHE'S INVISIBLE!"

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

DrManiac posted:

I finally got through the 'yeah it's that bad' archive. It's a shame the show had to end because of a single shithead because it was pretty good.

Yeah, hard to believe it's been more than a year since it died. People in the podcast forum were pretty hard on the show, but I loved hearing those guys make dumb jokes every week :(

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I think we're about due for a Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey episode.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

radlum posted:

Is The Flop House the first of the bad movie podcasts to tacke this movie? It was pretty much made for them. The only dissapointing thing about the episode, no House Cat =(

They never mention the house cat anymore. I was surprised when their song contest involved him (her?) last year, since the cat only seems to come up in letters.

Also, the Secret Window episode of WHM was great, especially that tangent about the taste of combos. "YES, I LIKE PIZZA THAT TASTES LIKE DOG FOOD."

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay, the "Johnny Mnemonic on Nick Arcade" bit is probably the hardest I've ever laughed at WHM.

"Oh nooo, I forgot to move Mikey!"

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Sometimes a random YITB catchphrase will pop into my head, and then I get sad. Fuckers On The Internet really have to ruin everything, don't they?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

This is a pretty exhaustive blog post about the demise of YITB.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

That's great, but I was hoping they'd end the year with Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey—I think it's the last movie they keep referencing (like SMB) but haven't done yet.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I can understand that, but I still think having June around is great because of the batshit insane theories she comes up with. Infuriating, but hilarious.

I love that Jason loves it too, and shushes everyone when June starts to go off so they can all hear every last syllable of crazy.

I kind of get the feeling the cast of HDTGM is really playing up their podcast personalities based on feedback from listeners—the earlier shows were a little more organic, instead of how they now clear the runway for the obligatory crazy observation by June. I also get that vibe from The Flop House: Their older episodes felt a lot more natural, but now that they're pretty huge, it very much feels like they're playing out roles due to audience expectations. The amount of letters they read that basically force them into their typical schtick only reinforces this. I still love both shows, though!

I'd also recommend everyone avoid joining The Flop House's Facebook group—it's like GBS circa 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

I'm in it, what's wrong with it?

It's really just the volume of posts. It didn't seem that bad until recently, and now it's mostly "hay guise I'm bored" posts and a bunch of poo poo that has nothing to do with movies or the podcast.