Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How'd i never notice there was a podcast sub forum?

Anyways, HDTGM was the first bad movie podcast I listened too and eventually dropped it because they did a stretch where it was just live shows, they sounded like poo poo but the hosts were all "hey live show, gonna sound like poo poo, so deal with it" which just pissed me off. Not to mention their jokes really started to fall flat after a while, I can only hear "literally bonkers!" used so much. That being said, stuff like the Punisher War Zone or Road House are fantastic.

I never listened to WHM, but I did listen to their spin off skeptical podcast, Blame It On Outerspace. It was, okay, I didn't really like most of their humor style, they spent more time on dumb jokes than actually examining the topic on hand, their Wilfred Brimley impersonation boiled down to saying "god dammit" a lot. I guess that's indicative of WHM as well? basically made me never want to check it out.

So the Flophouse, well, that's by far my favorite Podcast by far, with really only Jay and Miles X-plain the X-men even coming close. It's just my humor style in so many ways, from Dan's self deprecation and eternal depression, to Elliott's knowlage of esoteric and pointless facts, and Stuarts laid back but also super nerdy stuff, it's just what I love. That and pervazoidness.

I was going to make a solo thread just for the Flophouse because it's more than the podcast, the FB group is filled with lots of like minded individuals with a solid core group, I've even been out to meetups to meet other floppers locally, including the guy who makes all those animations for them. Plus with Kalan being head writer of the new MST3K I could see Flophouse getting a lot more attention.

Example of the animations if people were unaware of their existence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0XeT3ttVEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

powerful sex moves posted:

Yeah, yikes at judging WHM based on BIOOS.

I was literally told that I should by multiple people; "if you like skeptical podcasts, check out BIOOS, and they have a good movie podcast called We Hate Movies if you like it". Yea nope. That being sad if they do these characters and impersonations that I found incredibly unfunny on WHM I can see it really not for me. I find podcasts where the hosts are less themselves are more characters I don't really enjoy.

Robert Denby posted:

When I wrote in to the Flophouse I very deliberately avoided being jokey and just asked a question (what bad movies would you preserve?).

Mine was about hanging a lantern on the dumbass plot in Cowboys & Aliens.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just dropped in here to ask if there are any Toronto goons going to the Live Show for The Flop House in April. I went to the last one which was Book of Henry (you can hear me ask a question on that!), and Elliott was fine on mic during the show.

I guess I'll have to talk to him about comics this year now that MST3k is done for now.

The big issue is catching up. I've mentioned many times I no longer have a commute so I have to make time to listen to pods. Flophouse keeps getting put off because they're so so long. Though Talking Simpsons isn't that much shorter but i always make time for that. I really need to get on it though, I really want to listen to her Rise of Skywalker and Cats episodes.

I really wish i could have time to listen to We Hate Movies, they've been great guests on Talking Simpsons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At the time it was short hand for "really bad movie" and "what the gently caress are the looney toons doing?" plus its part of the great furry awakening.