Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OK Octopus posted:

I'll chime in with Alcohollywood. It's a drinking game movie podcast that tends to hit about as often as it misses. There's some actual mixology talent on display here, but they tend to get a little holier than thou with their movie choices and their attitudes towards films in general. Can't say I totally support anyone who builds up Rubber and Throw Momma From the Train, then slams Labyrinth and Neverending Story.

I'm the cohost/co-creator of Alcohollywood, and I wanna chime in to say that we've gotten a lot better in the intervening episodes that OK Octopus mentioned in this post - we do good, I promise :smith:. We've got a persistent thread here in CineD where I post new episodes/answer questions, and we got nominated this past year for Best Food/Drink Podcast at the People's Choice Podcast Awards!

As for other bad film podcasts, I can definitely echo the sentiment that HDTGM gets progressively more irritating from episode to episode, especially during the long stretches of time where they lose sight of the real movie and just blather on conversationally. Still, they do have quite a few gems, and I still love Jason Mantzoukas.

I also want to recommend Rewatchability (http://rewatchability.com/), a great podcast based out of Canada that focuses on nostalgia-based films in general; they've got great chemistry and maintain a wonderful energy, without it being hyperactive or overly wacky. Their Fifth Element and Hard Target episodes, in particular, are really good.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OK Octopus posted:

Aww... I'm sorry. I hadn't even realized that that post had been singled out and put in the OP. You guys are great and I love hearing your podcast. You even did an episode I suggested once. :unsmith:

Hey, it's all good, and the criticisms are more than fair - thanks for mentioning us in here at all! Yeah, we also have you to thank for naming our Hard Science segment. :hfive:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It not only doesn't matter if you've seen it or not, it may make you want to see the movie despite (or because of) what they've said. I ordered Invisible Child a bit ago because of the episode of WHM on it. I never thought I'd have a Lifetime movie on DVD but there you go!

That's all well and good but seriously, slamming Labyrinth and The Neverending Story? Care to explain yourself? :colbert:

It's pretty simple, really; those were, respectively, a very early episode and our horribly-done 50th episode (where we had too many guests and too much alcohol), and for some reason those movies didn't resonate with us whenever we watched it. Like for reals, our Neverending Story episode is a nightmare we shan't soon be repeating. As for Labyrinth, Jared gets a li'l cranky about nostalgic movies, especially when he hadn't seen them as a child (he waited till he was 18 to watch it, and I had no really close relationship to Labyrinth though I had seen it as a child).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OK Octopus posted:

I will say I'm totally peeved at you for doing that whole Steven King somekindofgoblin running gag AND THEN NOT DOING MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE! Holy Hell, how in the god did you miss that? ARGH!

Well, I don't want to tip my hat too early, but be careful what you wish for....

Re: HDTGM, I will say I really want to listen to that Nothing But Trouble episode, if only because I love when other League cast members guest, and I adore Steve Rannazzisi in particular.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 23, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

weekly font, great start with your first episode! I usually hate that kind of Skype-esque conference call, but the rapport makes it worth it. Count me in as a subscriber.

Since my podcast has been mentioned in the thread before, and we're talking goon critiques, I'd love to hear thoughts on our latest episode of Alcohollywood, which I think is one of our stronger entries. (Crossposted from the CD thread:)

quote:

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

This week, we have one of our best episodes in awhile, as we take a close look at A Fistful of Dollars. Seriously, after the past couple of episodes, where we had to deal with bafflingly bad or opaque films, we are able to dig into quite a bit of content with this one - surprise, surprise, a good movie gives us a lot to talk about! It also helps that we had on one of our better guests, our good friend Todd, who's always good for discussion (and suffering through my obscure quiz questions). Take a listen!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OK Octopus posted:

It's a good week for movie podcasts:

Cat People on WHM, Mindhunters on Yeah, It's That Bad, Anaconda on Film Sack, and I think :clint: Hewlett might :clint: have something, but :clint: I'm a little fuzzy :clint: on what, exactly. They :clint: should really be :clint: clearer about their scheduling.

Haha, sorry bout that - I try to post schedules in the CineD thread whenever possible, we mention what we're doing next week at the end of each episode (and their corresponding post), we post trailers for the upcoming movie on Facebook each week, and we keep COMING SOON thumbnails on the All Episodes page. Is there a better way to keep listeners apprised of our schedule? I'd honestly love to know, if listeners are fuzzy on what episodes we're doing next.

By the way, we're doing Jurassic Park; we've recorded, and we try to get the finished product in every Thursday (in slow weeks, we'll get it out by Friday night at least).

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 3, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OK Octopus posted:

Robot Jox on "Alcohollywood"? Hewlett, you glorious bastard.

:buddy::hf::buddy: I do what I can.

Crossposting for potential feedback:

quote:

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

As OK Octopus already pointed out in the RGD movie podcast thread, We decided to take on Robot Jox by popular demand. We had a hell of a lot of fun on this one, especially since the movie is just so amazing to talk about. Our guest, Derek, is a huge fan of the film, so he was a wonderful resource, and the quiz is relatively entertaining (though I had to make some last-minute additions since, in our break before the quiz, Jared offhandedly rattled off the answers to the Nightmare Round without knowing I was going to put them on there). All in all, pretty proud of this one.

Next week, we're gonna get back into some noir territory for the first time in awhile with The Third Man!

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 11, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TTBF posted:

Alcohollywood covers bad movies, but I can't really think of them as a bad movie podcast since the bad movies are outnumbered by the good.

I will admit, I feel a bit bad posting about Alcohollywood at times in here, since we legitimately don't want to bill ourselves as a "bad movie podcast," just as a "movie podcast" with a particular gimmick. We love to tackle movies both good and bad, and we have placed moratoriums on the Big Bad movies (Troll 2, The Room, Birdemic, etc.) that have been talked about to death. At the same time, those kinds of flicks are the most conducive to drinking games/cocktails, so that's question we have at times. We also work hard to try to toe the line between obnoxious yukking it up to keep things entertaining - since I agree that that overt wackiness can get obnoxious at times - while trying to make sure we're not too dry and academic.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 17, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Al! posted:

Just watch the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROQ9nplxIY

Jesus loving Christ.

Funny thing is, the animation in that trailer is better than in the actual movie (because their data got stolen at some point and they had to start from scratch).

I've been trying to bug Jared to let us do it for Alcohollywood, but suffice to say it's a tough sell.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

On an unrelated (related?) note, I haven't posted in here in awhile, but we've got our newest episode of Alcohollywood up, where we make a drinking game/cocktail to, and discuss in depth, the 1999 superhero parody Mystery Men. If anyone wants to check it out, any feedback is much appreciated!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I just posted our latest episode of Alcohollywood, where we blab about Sucker Punch for about an hour with fellow CineDer General Ironicus. It actually turned out to be a pretty great discussion if anyone wants to check it out.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

As someone who's probably on the level of who the gently caress ever posted that threat, what a terrible thing to do. That's so ungodly lovely and selfish, and not in the spirit of community that I've experienced (in my own limited ways) with other podcasters (like weekly font and the like).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

weekly font posted:

I got paranoid and removed all the last names of my crew from our website. The terrorists have already won.

It wouldn't be hard for people to find out my full name, to be honest, but yeah it's pretty lovely to try to 'force' people into outing themselves out of some misplaced, needy sense of 'transparency.' It's just the weirdest, most useless crusade.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

In case anyone here listens to Alcohollywood, we've figured out our lineup for the next three months:

quote:

5-Nov 112 The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure
12-Nov 113 The Lady Vanishes
19-Nov 114 Fight Club
26-Nov 115 THANKSCONNICKUH SPECIAL: Dolphin Tale
3-Dec 116 Day of the Dolphin
10-Dec 117 Black Lightning
17-Dec 118 Popeye the Movie
22-Dec 119 CHRISTMAS SPECIAL: Jingle All the Way
30-Dec 120 Pi
7-Jan 121 Mothra vs. Godzilla
14-Jan 122 Mean Girls
21-Jan 123 Ichi the Killer
28-Jan 124 TBD (dependent on whether we go to the Podcast Awards this year)

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

weekly font posted:

http://netflixmartyrs.blogspot.com/2013/10/episode-10-branded.html

Over at The Netflix Martyrs we covered "Branded" this week, a movie that is so batshit crazy and off the rails that I couldn't even begin to describe it in a coherent thought. So here's some free association: cow sacrifice, Russian reality TV, evil mascots, awkward car sex, Jeffrey Tambor, marketing superheroes, Max von Sydow, the greatest actress of our generation (Leelee Sobieski).

Ooh, gonna listen to this.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Alcohollywood's got up our Oogieloves episode now - some of you were wondering about how we might fare with this fucker, so I thought this might interest you. The results were...intresting, and possibly quite sad. :eng101:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

What's the criteria for picking a movie for Alcohollywood? It doesn't follow the "bad" theme that most other podcasts do. Is it just anything that you think would be interesting to talk about?

Also, I hate to tell you, and it's a nitpick, but puffins can fly.. I think you were thinking of penguins. So..what do you know - the Oogieloves actually got something right!

Thanks for the nice words! As for our criteria for picking movies, there are many different factors we go into - first and foremost, we do have listener requests, which take up the vast majority of our picks (sometimes we even get suggestions from people who think we're actually "Hollywood"; basically, they're pitching movies to us like "nat king cole's life story"). Other than that, though, we try to frame them around holidays, what movies guests would like to do, and our own wish lists. We also celebrate Connickuh (we watch a Harry Connick Jr. movie every Hanukkah), so that's another determiner. Hell, we're doing The Lady Vanishes and Fight Club the next couple weeks, so we are definitely no strangers to watching quality films - though talking about what you LIKE about a movie is often harder than ripping apart a bad one, so I understand why most movie podcasts focus on hilariously lovely movies.

Yeah, I feel bad posting in this thread sometimes, as we're not a "bad" movie podcast per se, but we're basically of the opinion that every single movie can have a drinking game made for it - and by God, we're going to try.

Also: Thank you SO MUCH, I loving knew it was a puffin! :buddy:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

It's always nice to have some kind of criteria. I have a review show (video reviewing, not podcasts), and my criteria is LGBT movies/TV, and period dramas (there's also an overlap - you'd be surprised how many LGBT movies are also period pieces.) There's something to be said for having a theme other than "bad", and I'm not just talking about market share - while attacking a bad film can be a lot of fun, if all you ever do is watch bad movies, after a while you start losing the will to live. Good movies do present a different challenge though, I agree - but I bet you're really looking forward to Hitchcock and Fincher after the Oogieloves.
The drinks thing is really awesome - do a lot of listeners report that they try the drinks, or do the drinking game? Do you tend to get a more positive reception for reviews of good movies that everyone loves, or for notoriously rubbish movies?

I'm sure you get a lot of suggestions for stuff to review, but if I'm ever going to suggest one thing to you, it'll be my favourite (so) bad (it's good) movie - The Watcher - which stars Keanu Reeves as a gay dancing serial killer, stalking a drugged-up James Spader, who is the FBI agent trying to stop him. It's every bit as special as that sounds, and it's bad in just the way that I love. I've never yet heard or seen a comedic breakdown/review of it, apart from the one I did myself, but that was my second video, so the production quality is really quite bad. I'd absolutely love if someone else took a crack at it.

Yeah, there are definitely genres of film we tend to stay away from; we have a minimum of foreign-language films on there, for example, and some films with social issues we feel it might be gauche for two white guys to pretentiously talk about. Basically, I don't think we'll feel comfortable tackling Do the Right Thing or 12 Years a Slave anytime soon.

As for listeners trying the games/drinks, it honestly doesn't happen too often, as far as we know - we've had people make the cocktails and send us stuff, which is nice, but otherwise the drinks are more of a gimmick to see what wacky thing we can come up with to fit the film. Sometimes, Jared has so many goddamn ingredients in the cocktail I can't imagine anyone actually buying the stuff to make them. I'm not even a fan of some of our drinks; our Oldboy drink has carrot juice and sake, so blech, and the Fifth Element one has clam and beet juice (for two of the five 'Elements', get it?), but they fit the motif we're going for.

We will admittedly get a lot more traffic for well-known 'bad' movies (like our Oogieloves episode is doing well), but our biggest hits are ones where we have crossover traffic from our guests. Fellow CineD goon General Ironicus has a fairly admirable following from his Let's Plays, so the episodes in which he guests (Sucker Punch, The Breakfast Club, O Brother Where Art Thou?) absolutely get the most listens. It's a pattern we're still struggling with; we want to get to the point where we have enough of a following that we'll be appointment listening for a lot of people. :3:

Also, if you want us to consider The Watcher (which I think I've heard of), head here and put it in the mailbag; that's usually where we keep track of our official requests. GThanks!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

parasyte posted:

Speaking of, I did listen to the episode of HyperComboCast where you guested on Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li, which was pretty hilarious. More hilarious was how you basically took charge and more or less hosted the episode (which was not a bad thing).

Haha, thanks! I don't think either of us expected it to turn out that way, so I'll just chalk it up to both of us just being flabbergasted at the film's very existence; it was a lot of fun though.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Hewlett, I'm quoting you just to point out the fact that I've been listening to several Alcohollywood episodes, and I absolutely love your style. I have just one criticism, which you're probably going to ignore, but it's just one thing that bothers me. I'm not particularly fond of when podcasts/video reviews suddenly get derailed because the hosts have to go on at length about how sexy one of the characters is. It's one thing to mention that a character or an actor is attractive, especially if it's relevant to the plot (like if the actor is really nice looking but the movie treats them like they're hideous looking), and it's probably just me who gets bothered by it, but I did find those bits in the Fight Club episode, where your guest couldn't stop going on about Brad Pitt, or the Clue episode, when everyone talked about Yvette's breasts for 5 minutes, a bit...unnecessary (that goes for any gender or sexuality, I'm not trying to claim that it's inherently a sexist thing, more of a pointless thing).

Thanks for listening! I'm glad you like it for the most part, and any feedback/constructive criticism is more than welcome.

As to your point, I can definitely respect that you might get uncomfortable when it happens. For the most part, I'd say that the stuff about Brad Pitt/Yvette's various assets were relevant to the discussion of the movie, as their sex appeal were huge components of their respective movies. I wasn't aware that it went on long enough to become uncomfortable necessarily, but I do think I want to do better about reigning in guests when we talk about the attractiveness/unattractiveness of people in the films we cover. I agree it did go a bit too far in the Fight Club episode, and our most recent episode on Dolphin Tale features a fabulously gay friend of mine who couldn't stop talking about how Harry Connick Jr. would be cuter if he didn't have chicken legs, etc.), but the combination of alcohol and the exuberance of the conversation can make it difficult at times. That being said, I'll definitely watch out for it in the future if I feel conversation is getting too far afield in favor of that stuff. Again, I highly appreciate the feedback, and I'm just thankful you like the show enough to take the time!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Do you do much editing of the show? It seems very well put-together, but at the same time it is relatively conversational. I'm assuming you chop out any awkward pauses though (I'm only used to video editing, not audio on its own.)

Also, Hewlett, I know this isn't the right thread, but I just thought I'd say...with the help of another goon, I recently was able to rediscover the thread for SPEEDING UP: ON THE STREETS - IN THE AIR, which I was looking forward to not just for the original text, but also, your amazing dramatic readings. Seriously, those things made me crack up so much at the time, and they're just as funny now - especially since..in text format, when you're reading it, your brain skips over most of the horrible, incomprehensible stuff and makes sense of it, but when I heard you reading it...it truly struck me just how batshit insane the writing style of that book was. I did much of the illustration in that thread, but I'd say you put a lot more work in than I ever did.
(Also, how hard was it to read that book without cracking up?)

Holy poo poo, you found that? What's the link, I've been looking for those since I lost the recordings. I've been meaning to get back to that sometime and finish the book. Come to think of it, I do also remember your illustrations, they were pretty great too!

As for your questions, there's a fair bit of editing that goes on; most of the time, it's awkward pauses, the occasional obnoxious taking of breath or stammering, etc. Sometimes, it's even useful to take out the times when one just says a lot of meaningless words just to buy time before your actual statement (kind of like Perd Hapley does in Parks and Rec), which I'll cop to. Our raw recording sessions typically last about 75 to 90 minutes, so I like to get it down to between 60 and 70; luckily, there are usually enough unrelated tangents I can safely cut out. I'm glad it's rarely noticed though, I try to make the edits as seamless as possible.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 2, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

The link's right here - but you'll need archives (I think) as it wasn't Goldmined. I would be so goddamned happy if you finished the book, it's not even funny. That thread really deserved more love than it got, but the few people who went there were definitely devotees. (I actually got archives *just* so that I could see it again - because I had all these illustrations I could show people, but very little context as to what batshit insanity I was actually illustrating.)

Edit: gently caress, new page. Suppose I better say something about podcasts about bad movies then!
Hewlett, how many requests do you get - and do you turn many of them down? I'm assuming that if the movie is just..really lame and boring, or really hard to get a hold of, you don't do it?

I'd say we get a fair amount of requests each month; sometimes it's hard to differentiate between serious and not-serious ones (about a week ago I think spambots tried to infiltrate the mailbag since we'd keep getting ones that are just strings of letters). Sometimes we'll turn ones down - like I think it'll take us a while to actually get around to The Avengers (since we have a running gag that we'll never do it, during Marvel Month leading up to the movies we did all the pre-Avengers flicks, then ended with the 1998 Avengers). Otherwise, we'll mostly try to get around to everyone's mailbags unless it's clear someone's try to game the system - there's one guy who keeps sending us similarly-formatted movie requests and signing his name a character from said movie. In those cases, or cases where a mailbag has multiple movies, we'll pick the one we want to do most out of it and discard the rest, since it's not fair to the other people making requests. (These are all ignoring the surprising number of mailbags where people actually think we're Hollywood; like, they pitch movies to us...for us to make, I guess? We've had everything from 'nat king cole's life story' to 'a movie about those Fat Boys from Alice in Wonderland. I think it'd be neat!!')

The hardest movie request that we just couldn't get a hold of was "Town & Country," the infamous flop from 2001 with Warren Beatty. It went so far as having the guest over, thinking we'd have it, but not actually being able to get it; I think that turned into our "I Hate Valentine's Day" episode.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Beeez posted:

Do it. Tiptoes is one of those movies I want to hear as many takes on as possible because of how bizarre it is.

We've got ours here, including our drink, the Short Island Iced Tea.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

It's kind of a relief to hear that even the more popular movie podcasts will pad out their mailbags with messages from relatives and people they know.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

To be honest I was a bit disappointed that WHM did a movie for Listener Request that they would have done anyway. I would have preferred they watched something they hadn't heard of, or did another ridiculous Lifetime styled women's drama or..I dunno (I guess I'm really hanging out for someone to review my favourite bad movie, The Watcher.) Mind you, I still really enjoyed the episode - it just seemed like a bit of an easy pick for them.

You're in luck, we're actually doing The Watcher sometime in April!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh my god thank you thank you thank you I am SO happy. You have no idea how much joy The Watcher brings me. brb going to draw you some ridiculous fan art or something to say thanks.

Edit - yes I know that was a weird post, but I feel some Speeding Up level kinship with you, as both of us struggled through trying to represent that book. Anyway. The Watcher. I look forward to it.

Hey, if you make Speeding Up-level fanart for it, it will go up on the site, and we will audibly react to it on the show.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere/anyone else who might care, we decided to talk about the weird, weird Keanu Reeves movie The Watcher this week on Alcohollywood! Also, Infamous Sphere made some awesome fanart for us:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

:words:

Thanks for the comment! (sorry it's so late, it took me awhile to get around to responding)

Yeah, we were definitely taken aback by the movie, and since Jared had accidentally double-booked himself on another podcast we just ran with the "Keanu kidnapped him" thing, and we might have been able to use his perspective on this episode. Still, we had a blast reviewing it, and when Jared came over the next day to record the intro/outro/drink hostage video I showed him the final scene, the cemetery scene and the lighting-his-own-car-hood-on-fire scene. Jared simply replied that he was glad he could sit that one out.

That FYD line is probably a better one, honestly, but so often our eyes would just glaze over at the sameyness of the over-the-top yet somehow banal dialogue, we just decided to end it on that note.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just wanted to say that I finally went and checked out your show, and I'm now working my way through the archive. It's awesome and it's among my favorite podcasts now.

Thanks so much! (Y'all should follow suit :ssh:)

Be wary of our earliest episodes; we're pretty sloppy at first, but I'd say I'm pretty proud of the work we do from about episode 51 on without fail.

By the way, we just released our Bicentennial Man episode a few days ago, so check that out too!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

The definitive podcast on Mystery Men is already out anyway. :colbert:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm quite surprised to hear so many people actually liked Mystery Men - I never saw it when it came out, I always just assumed it was crap based on... Well, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmHBFgIoX0

Talk about a dogshit trailer. It actually has Smashmouth's All Star. And god drat Disco Inferno.

To be fair, the film has All Star too.

For me, Mystery Men has a lot of fun charm to it, but doesn't ultimately hold together - it's the ultimate uneven movie. I also think the Tim Burton rumors are ironic, since the film's look seems to be overtly referencing Schumacher's Batman movies (which would have been the most contemporary Batman movies to mock/homage at that point).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

That episode was fantastic! I'd rather never see the film ever, but oh boy, was it ever ripe for taking down and they did a wonderful job.

Thanks you guys! I feel bad, because our latest episode is decidedly NOT a 'bad movie,' but I'm actually really proud of how it turned out - we did the Peter Sellers movie Being There.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

It's funny, all this video game talk coming out, since we just did a whole month of just those on AH - Mortal Kombat, Wing Commander, Silent Hill, the aforementioned Super Mario. We even threw Cloak & Dagger in there.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Final Fantasy movie is just deadly boring. There's almost nothing to talk about.

Au contraire.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Drunkboxer posted:

I was surprised Clan of the Cave Bear didn't come up in the Alcoholywood episode about Quest for Fire.

We ALMOST talked about it, especially since Quest for Fire actually has a scene in a CAVE with a BEAR in it, but it must have just slipped our minds during the podcast itself.

Also, get ready for a surprisingly even-handed response to The Patriot in our 4th of July episode. It's damning with faint praise, but mostly because Jason Isaacs is a magnificent bastard, and the movie tries REALLY hard to avoid saying that Mel Gibson owned slaves.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Since Alcohollywood gets brought up occasionally on here I thought I'd reveal our lineup for August through October, since we've got it figured out:

quote:

5-Aug 150 150TH EPISODE SPECIAL: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
12-Aug 151 SHARK WEEK SPECIAL: Deep Blue Sea
19-Aug 152 Dune
26-Aug 153 Sleuth (1973)
2-Sep 154 Hard Candy
9-Sep 155 UHF
16-Sep 156 The Horse Whisperer
23-Sep 157 Wargames
30-Sep 158 HORROR OCTORBOR: Nightmare on Elm Street 3*
7-Oct 159 Saw III
14-Oct 160 The Omen III: The Final Conflict
21-Oct 161 Paranormal Activity 3
28-Oct 162 Halloween III: Season of the Witch

*That's right, for our third Horror Octorbor it's all the third parts of several different horror franchises.

The UHF episode will see the return of former AV Club head writer/writer of Weird Al: The Book Nathan Rabin.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Great line up! Well..I'm not too fond of horror movies, but it's Halloween, so that's to be expected. I wish you were doing NOES2 instead of 3 though, that movie's so hilariously homoerotic. But yes, if you're doing the third of every movie for your third Horror October that makes sense too :p

I never watched The Horse Whisperer but I did read the book a whole bunch of times when I was young. I'm sure if I were to revisit it, I'd realise it was kind of terrible, but for an 11 year old, it was pretty great.

Haha yeah, I am all too aware of how gloriously homoerotic NOES2 is, and we'll likely bring up as much knowledge as we can/have on the other films in the series for each episode.

As for The Horse Whisperer, that actually was borne out of a desire to do a Robert Redford movie for whatever reason, and we chose that over Sneakers. I think just because we haven't done a housewife-friendly movie in a long time, if ever(Notebook?), and we wanted a little something for the ladies.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, we did a whole Stephen King month a year or two ago for Alcohollywood, and Creepshow was the one we picked for our actual Halloween episode. It's bonkers in the most delightful way.

"METEOR poo poo!"

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Drunkboxer posted:

The old episodes aren't up on itunes are they? Also, I've noticed a weird thing when I try to stream your podcast or download it with cellular data. Streaming usually cuts off a minute or two in, and if I download it it'll give a really weird progress bar and eventually fail. I have to get your podcasts whenever I'm connected to wifi. I use the iphone podcast app, which amittedly has its problems, but ALcohollywood is the only thing I've noticed it doing this with.

That's strange; we used to have problems with the Apple podcast app, but to my understanding they'd worked themselves out a while ago. Is it still happening?

As for the old episodes thing, you're correct; unfortunately, we have to cap our max results or else our RSS feed gets too big for iTunes to read and it won't put new episodes up. After all, RSS feeds aren't meant to act as an archive for your podcast, just a way to update the newest stuff - our King stuff, for example, was posted all the way back in 2012. They're all still available on our site or where we host them on Tindeck, if you want to grab old episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah. I just tried to stream one, and it said it was only 2 minutes long, and cut off at the end of that. Weird.

edit: although I did try to stream an old episode.

Hmm, that is strange; I just tried to do an old one on my podcast app and it was fine, but it was on wifi. That's SO strange that it only doesn't work on 3G for you. I'll ask my gf (who has an iPhone) to download an episode again on hers and see what happens.

On a related note, Nathan Rabin joined us again to talk UHF; the results are pretty fun, considering he literally wrote the book on Weird Al.

I'm also trying not to be bitter about WHM's Spooktacular, since this year's Horror Octorbor is going to all be sequels as well - since it's our third year, we're covering the third installment of several horror franchises (Nightmare on Elm Street III, Saw III, Paranormal Activity III, The Omen III, Halloween III: Season of the Witch).