Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Found this thread about a week ago and have been chipping away, sad to see I have come to the end [for now].

Anyone got a good collection of obscure classic WWF Logo pics? I LOVE the logo and love seeing it on anything, gaudy blazers, tacky merch and banners. That thing is a beauty.

Meanwhile, enjoy a nostalgia filled post about wrasslin toys

poo poo there was an announce table bundle? I thought this was an ingenious idea as bein a dorky kid during this time, hardcore stuff was cool. Especially as nearly every figure came with a weapon.

Then they started coming out with changeable ring-skirts/ropes and even 'actual' turnbuckles which would replace the pre-moulded plastic posts. So goony, but I rememberi t being cool

Jesus christ when I saw this thing on the back of a figure box for the first time I remember goin nuts. The thought of getting to hear music for your figs and to get a vinnie mac fig was awesome. I remember having loads of figs with the little metal plate and thinking aw yeah I can't wait to hear too cools music. Imagine my dissapointment when it only had about 10 configured songs on it (See the images on the box of the wrestlers). Too cool came out to gangrels music :smith:

We had a 'wrestling toy shop' pop up in a weird shopping mall (one of those places where folks rent a unit and dissappear forever after time). And it had loads of stuff which blew us away, you think most stores like Toys R Us, woolworths and the like only had a small selection. I loved the ovaltron and again, HAD TO HAVE IT. It wasn't titantron-enabled or electronic, but still fantastic. I believe there was an electronic version around after though. This was on the tail end of me being a dorky kid [2001ish?] but still was brilliant.

Never had but kind of wanted. I never really liked playsets as bits always went missing (although the Jurassic Park compound is the exclusion to this feeling).

Around 98-99 there were these crap figures where the arms and legs didn't bend. I had a taker figure which was 'signed', but it was crap loooking and I couldn't wrestle with him :colbert:
Thankfully the jakks titantron style figures were commonplace after this crap. I recall all of them looking terrible. Like LJN and Jakks had a baby. Awkward times.

From the same time period as above. I remember some weird poo poo. Sweating figures, bone crunching, and some utter nonsense where the wrestlers would be in big Warhammer style armour and all futuristic mad max poo poo. STOMP I believe it was called. Utter shyte.

For some reason I never got ahold of a table, but always wanted one :(

I got this one birthday/christmas and I wasn't sure what to make of it. I 'knew' of WCW but this was pre internet and being a kid, anything non WWF was weird! I loved having the stage and trusses. You even got a little ref. For some reason I hated battery operated features as I saw them as gimmicky even back bein a doofus kid. The middle of the ring had a fabric/stretchy cover with buttons underneath. If you held it down it counted 'one, two, three'. I believe there was another button for grunts.

The turnbuckles had triggers too for noises. And you could attach a figure to the entrance ramp and slide him down like Taker at wrestlemania. Not sure if there was music, but it was cool as a kid. There's probably some kid [read; man] on youtube doing a full review filmed by a DSLR

On the subject of WCW, I also got these. I think mum and dad got promotions mixed up when shopping for lil simo. These figures had little magnets in their fists. They lock up, and you squeeze the legs to flip them up. Kind of cool I guess, but useless as a kids wrestling figure due to no real articulation. I remember the magnets falling out of their fixings, they were strong magnets though! I got Sting, Buff bagwell and DDP. I thought - who the hell are these guys. They looked so cheap compared to WWF toys.

Not really a toy, but kid related. In the UK we have 'Annuals' which are hardbound books about the size of an A4 sheet of paper with about 50-75 pages give or take? I had 91,92 and 95 [pictured] I wondered where Hulk Hogan was in the 1995 book as everything looked really different, if only I knew. These were basically just bios and stuff that happened in the year. I had no idea what any of it meant, I just loved seeing folks I had never seen before (from my fragmented knowledge, of playing the Genesis wrestling games, watching odd VHS tapes and etc). I think they still make these now?

It was cool to find uncommon figures such as jobbers and women which they did start doing more in 2000+; I remember being chuffed when mum bought Steven richards [RTC] and Stephanie mcmahon. No idea why.

The main rings at the time of my toy period were always poo poo. The ropes would make the posts bend, and they they'd loose their elasticicty. This ring I had had a rubbish steel cage. Basically 4 panels which clipped together using the weakest possible joins imagineable. You could also use it as a COOL CASE TO STORE YOUR FIGURES or weapons. Then came along the hardcore ring [see first pic]. I always hated how the rings were not scaled to the figures.

I think that's pretty much all I remember from my time. As goony as it is, I wish some of the poo poo that is around now, I had back in the attitude era

Bonus round

They started making full scale rings and with intricate parts like aprons and turnbuckles. Are you kiddin' me. Jealous. But proud to not be a neckbeard wrestling figure goon these days.

They even do/did a scale CELL for the scaled ring. The thing must be fuckin huge! Would of killed for this as a kid. Bet its awkward to play with?

Let's give a shout out to the WWF LJN range. I just was on the tail end of these being retailed, I had knowledge of the old 80s,early 90s era thanks to the Annuals and Megadrive [genesis] games.

BIG PIC [2000px Wide]

I thought these figs were quirky and they at least pawned off their lack of articulation with 'actions'. Basically twist the torso for a clothesline. Effort.

And that's that I guess! edit:[poo poo, this took an hour to compose?]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

schweens posted:

Good post. I still have that titantron and McMahon action figure in my attic. Probably my favorite toy as a kid. Road doggs theme was the best.

Also, that hell in a cell set is awesome. My youngest brother got it when I was in 8th grade or so and I definitely messed with it more than I'd like to admit.

You got me feeling all nostalgic now

Feel free to post more, I know i'm missing a good few. I always hated how outdated wrestling figures were, I remember getting bad rear end undertaker like a year and half after he debuted. Understandable now [production time etc]

edit YES:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU4YSHUB0sY

I love the internet these days, everything has a review. The dorkier, the better

edit2: Holy poo poo they butchered those themes. They must be like 10kb wav files lol.

edit3: Dieing at the Xpac Theme cut

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Special gimmick wrestlers should be banned from social media :smith:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Xenoletum posted:

Rusev's ability to improvise, his selling of long-sustained attacks, and his work ethic has really won me over. I'm gonna be sad when he loses to Cena.

Same. I thought Lana was amazing from the get go, and Rusev was just another Umaga, but I am really rooting for him now. When he does the foot sell, and especially when the flag mucked up on raw and he went nuts. A few weeks back when Henry and Big show beat him up, he should of got babyface sympathy :colbert:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

I can think of a better Seth photo to use for this

:heysexy:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

flashy_mcflash posted:

Man Zeus's logo was badass

Amazing, I miss this style of design and love unnecessary logo design. I remember the Destruction Derby games on the playstation, each one of the AI drivers would have a personality (an actual drawn and designed cartoon character) as well as their own logo. Amazing work, totally not needed, but still cool.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

schweens posted:

That Ricochet pic rules:

I saw a random episode of Total Divas and saw his house which was MENTAL. He seems like such a robot and I don't blame him being such a company man. I hear he likes cigars, cool dude. Robot dude.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Please post random vince pics

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Love Konnans little pairing with backwoods.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

I wish WWE would release a ton of old photos in high rez format. There's so many images i'd love to see that arent pixelly 220x450 pics

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

WWE put out a bunch of unseen Attitude Era photos. Lots of good stuff in there.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/unseen-images-from-the-attitude-era-photos

These are excellent. There must be THOUSANDS of raw photos at Titan towers, I wish they would just dump them all on a flickr or something. It's great to see attitude era pics that arent 480x250pixels, now for the other parts of wrestling history.

I love the black background in some of the shots too, always been a fan of that. Stupid well-lit arenas of today!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm not a FF fan but know the little jingle. You know when something is so familiar to you , when you hear it in an unexpected setting, its like whaaaat?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I love how ridiculous cenas home is from what I've seen from random clips of total divas

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I wonder how wwe wrestlers feel if they have to beat themselves up in a game?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Surprised to see a post 2000 photo that still has that 'look'. Does anyone know what I mean? I guess it's a pre-digital camera that gives it that look. A bit of haze, totally DARK crowd [sometimes], off colour magenta/cyans. I love seeing them when they pop up. I'm not too geared up on the early days of digital/film or anything of course.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
It must be a subtle dig;

Didn't Hogan say he was going to be part of Metallica or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***