Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CombineThresher posted:

I'll see your Four Horsemen tribute and raise you this.

I GISed this to see if dude in the middle was a goon that posted like ten years ago (I don't think it is) but ended up finding a circa 2001 INDIE WRESTLERS DIRECTORY.

THE SHOWCASE OF THE IMMORTALS

WAR (Indicted into the United State Martial Arts Hall of Fame)

"Mr. Terrific" Tim Lawler

Mac Diddy (Stands 6'4" and weighs in at 290 pounds,and he claims no fat either)

Bulldog Bob Brown Jr (In the past year he has rekindled his feud (ongoing since 1994) with midget wrestler Little Nasty Boy.)

The Bravehearts (The two massive lads of this awesome tag team make all of thier opponents tremble with fear and sorry they even showed up.)

DZ Hyde (PLACE OF BIRTH: NEITHER HERE NOR THERE)

Peter White (He was trained in the Funking Dojo under Terry Funk and the Power Plant under WCW.) (Mostly hired as a Vince Russo impersonator)

Colt Cabana (Currently involved in the hottest angle going in indy wrestling today with Adam Pearce, Ace Steel, Danny Dominion, and Hellraiser Gutts for St. Paul Championship Wrestling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Cromulent posted:

I'm pretty sure days after Young came out, he tweeted a picture of himself in an airport holding the Divas title, so I would imagine he just has a good sense of humor and it isn't WWE putting the screws to the gay guy.
Even before that during Wrestlemania weekend, there was a WWE.com photoshoot of PTP in the big on-site merch store, and Darren was mugging with the Diva's title.

Couldn't find the photos, but he first shows up wearing it around 1m10s of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBjA-1lYec

So if it is a rib, it's probably something self-generated within PTP, not Vince or someone breaking his balls.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Basically his original Global Wrestling gimmick anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpj-L1ZYOZY

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think it was some sort of convoluted demonstration to lay groundwork for the WCW lawsuit they were pursuing. Like, the idea that since Scott Hall was acting like Razor Ramon on WCW broadcasts, it was copyright infringement even though a more realistic way of looking at it was "Scott Hall used to work for WWE and imitated Scarface, but now he is working for WCW and imitating Scarface" but if the idea is "Scott Hall was hired to play a role for us, he left and we've filled the role but he's off playing the same role for our competition" I guess maybe they thought a judge would buy it?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Looking at them all at once, it is kind of interesting how the posters pretty accurately reflect three decades of booking philosophy and pushes.

Wrestlemanias 1-8: HOGAN, HOGAN, HOGAN (plus whoever he is feuding with I guess?)
Wrestlemania 9: HO-- Bret Hart? fffffff
Wrestlemania 10-13: gently caress it, let's just sell it based on the name Wrestlemania basically
Wrestlemania 14-17: STONE COLD, STONE COLD (and the Rock and HHH is on their level right? He isn't? poo poo.)
Wrestlemania 18-21: Aww man, Rock and Austin are gone*, and to replace them we have... uh... the Wrestlemania brand again!
Wrestlemania 22: JOHN CENA IS THE NEW FACE OF THE WWE
Wrestlemania 23-27: Okay that's not really working let's not commit to anything and just put fifty people on every poster but let's make sure everyone realizes John Cena is #1
Wrestlemania 28-29: THE ROCK IS BACK ONLY HE AND CENA MATTER
Wrestlemania 30: Okay Rock's gone, back to default

* I realize that Rock was in a top match at X-8 and Austin/Rock III was at 19 and Rock tagged with Foley at 20 and Austin made a few appearances but between injuries and movies the writing was pretty much on the wall as of 18, certainly 19, that neither of them were ever going to be full time or potentially not even part-time going forward

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

sticklefifer posted:

What was Wrestlemania XI's design supposed to be? I mean nothing says Wrestlemania like a glowing purple cosmic blob, but still.
I assumed it was supposed to be Undertaker rising out of a grave, symbolically or otherwise (it kind of looks like a round tombstone in the background) and I know they had done a number of Undertaker COMES BACK feuds in the early/mid 1990s. However the build up for WMXI was that IRS stole his urn in the name of The [Original Dibiase] Corporation and Undertaker had to fight King Kong Bundy with a baseball referee keeping it fair. The year before at the Royal Rumble was the whole "Undertaker is stuck in a casket and buried alive but then takes over the Titantron to say he's unkillable and rises to heaven. He missed Wrestlemania X, and considering they did long term WM to WM booking back then maybe Wrestlemania XI was meant to be his triumphant return but when he came back early to feud with Kamala or whatever, and they went with Lawrence Taylor/Bam Bam Bigelow as their main event, someone just went "ehhh, purple blobs are still pretty sweet."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jerry Lynn's real name is Jerry Lynn, Jerry Flynn's name is neither Jerry nor Flynn. YOU GOT WORKED, SIGN-IN SHEET

Also Scott and Rick put down their gimmick surnames. I am trying to remember which wrestler was on a podcast recently and INSISTED on calling Rick Steiner "Robbie" the entire time and the host gently tried to pipe in "you mean Rick Steiner" and the dude just wouldn't acknowledge that and go "no no no, Scott's older brother, Robbie. They were a tag team."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The best part about the Wiki article on him is that it makes it sound like he was brought into WWF just so they could have someone touted as THE WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN while Ken Patera was in prison.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

SIck Boy and Lodi are apparently wrestling as "The Flock" in some southern indie, trading tag titles with the Bravado Brothers as recently as last month.

Reis's last match was for Vince Russo's inaugural GLORY Christian wrestling federation, which as best as I can tell lasted two whole shows. The whole thing is worth recapping briefly:

MATCH 1: Heel distraction/foreign object finish
MATCH 2: Tag team partner turns heel on partner
MATCH 3: Surprise heel turn run-in
MATCH 4: Unannounced challenger wins via heel miscommunication
MATCH 5: Jeff Jarrett runs in to cost Chris Harris an intergender match*
MATCH 6: Jeff Jarrett wins clean
[[Jeff Jarrett is converted to Christianity backstage]]
MATCH 7: "Joshua the Carpenter" defeats EVIL (a masked Ron Reis) via Jeff Jarrett guitar shot, all glory to Jarrett
*It was Kwee Wee doing a crossdressing gimmick, not sure if it was supposed to be intergender or 'intergender'

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Nut Bunnies posted:

I heard that place is really bland and lovely but people keep giving it chances
It's the sort of restaurant willing to almost kill itself when all you really wanted was a decent chicken sandwich, so a lot of people give it credit for its risk-tasking elan.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Carl "Crusher" Creel was a jailbird that Loki used to mess with Thor. He got retconned into an ex-boxer because someone in the 1980s decided he looked kind of like the guy Daredevil's dad fought.

Charlie "Crusher" Hogan was the wrestler that Spider-Man beat in a shoot fight in his first appearance (which was retconned into some sort of weird Montreal Screwjob situation in a 2000s comic co-written by Raven)

Harold "Happy" Hogan is an ex-boxer (also retconned into having boxed Daredevil's dad) that Tony Stark hired as a bodyguard, got married to Pepper Potts, and then died.

Harold H. "HHH" Harold was a schlubby newspaper reporter who tried to get a scoop by interviewing Dracula and got the interview but also got turned into a vampire by Dracula and didn't want to whistleblow on vampires existing once he was one himself. Then later he got a gimmick change and became Elliott Gould as Philip Marlowe in The Long Goodbye, except also an android.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I thought he had some real trouble remember if UWF is supposed to be a work or shoot but I probably just hate Nick Spencer.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

rovert posted:

Brodus Clay getting promoted above him (I think it is called contributorship) was what made Gavin McInnes quit Fox News. Gavin was I guess a freelancer for years and got passed over time after time. Clay was the final straw. Gavin was largely a mainstream Republican or play one on TV up until that point. Immediately McInness went on the track he is now on.

Cliff notes: The Funkasaurus is responsible for the Proud Boys.
Pretty sure this isn't remotely true, McInnes was an ironic hipster racist dating back to the 1990s and was writing articles for explicitly white nationalist journals (and saying stuff like how he hopes Williamsburg "stays white" and how he couldn't vote for Obama because "he's the same color as poo poo") and all sort of other toxic bullshit since the mid 2000s, which piled up to the point that Vice cut ties with him over a decade ago. Even on Fox News his role/slot was to be the "guest, simply a guest and not reflective of Fox News's views" who would crack jokes about how maybe women are just bad at their jobs and that's why they get paid less, or how maybe gay people are mentally ill, or maybe someone should shoot at Obama to make him more pro-gun, or how maybe black people are apes, ha ha who knows, I am not a newsman I am just a funny jokester weighing in on a panel and no one is arguing against me!

He had also, for what it's worth, formed the Proud Boys a solid eight months before he left Fox News, but :shrug:

Also I had to check, Brodus/Tyrus *is* getting his own show but it's on Fox Nation which is just Racist Hulu it looks like. The show was announced in November 2018 so it's been cooking for over two years to let Tyrus do ten minutes a week a single ten minute profile video on the Internet if this is what got Gavin to leave Fox News.

https://nation.foxnews.com/meet-tyrus/

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 7, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

rovert posted:

Words matter. And yes Brodus was the reason McInnes quit.
My understanding is that Gavin was going to actually run for President as a Democrat with Bob Backlund as his VP on a platform of denuclearization and Medicare for All and a revival of the triangular trade but then they pulled Daniel Bryan out of the main event of Wrestlemania 20 and that was how he became a Republican. My scoop is longer than yours, therefore superior and more words-based.

I do understand that you're probably basing this on a game of telephone where (after being let go from Fox in large part because he had started the Proud Boys and literally the week after he encouraged his Proud Boys to use violence against protesters at NYU and after a decade of being a lovely white supremacist) he posted a video explaining that he "quit" Fox News because of Tyrus, in the sense that in this video (which I am linking for evidence but surely do discourage people from clicking) he says:

quote:

That's the new Fox News contributor? That loving wrestler? That's it, I quit! I quit Fox News. Jesus Christ, I don't know how many times I've seen women and gays and blacks just go *rocket noise* past me. I am done with that loving station.
And then he spends another ten minutes calling pretty much everyone he can think of at Fox News a closet homo or an ugly bitch or a dumb bitch or an ugly dumb secret liberal lesbian bitch. I guess this means that the Funkasaurus bent time to create a monster, stranger things have happened like Enzo seeing King Kong Buddy rip up them turnbuckles when he was nine months old.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

"Out on the town having the time of my life with a bunch of puppies. They're all just out of frame, laughing too."