Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddain
May 6, 2007

NEW Eccentric Girl posted:

I bought the bundle on Gamestop's site Monday night, just got an email saying it shipped.

If any of you are still hunting for it you might have to do the same, seems like a lot of places are only getting enough to cover preorders.

I've actually never played a Fire Emblem game before; I bought the bundle because I like the design and I'm anticipating Soul Hackers/SMT4. The more I read about Awakening, though, the more it seems like something I'd enjoy, so I'm pretty excited to try it out!

Mine just shipped as well. loving finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
You lucky bastards, I envy/hate you so much right now :negative:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Is there any way to speed up supports?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I so wish the chapter 16 boss could have been an ally.

"My Whiskers give me super powers!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MotU posted:

Is there any way to speed up supports?

There are Trust Seed items which are worth large support bonuses. Also glittering spots have a good chance of giving two paired units a large support bonus.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Good god, my Cynthia has Rally Spectrum :stare:.

And is a blockhead, so that's contrasting as hell.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm just playing the whole reproduction game blind for my first (and possibly only) playthrough of the game. Is it supposed to be this difficult to get Support ranks going? I only have one pair past rank B (Chrom and Avatar) by Chapter 10 or 11. Is this a hard mode thing or am I just Bad at Unit Husbandry?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Count Bleck posted:

Good god, my Cynthia has Rally Spectrum :stare:.

And is a blockhead, so that's contrasting as hell.

Is she your Avatar's kid? Because that's the only way I could see that happening.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Is she your Avatar's kid? Because that's the only way I could see that happening.

Well, My Avatar is married to Sumia, so yes, because she's also a Pegasus Knight.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Now you have her hang out with Owain because let's face it, they're perfect for each other.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Agh, passing anything good down to Lucina seems to be really dumb - how am I supposed to get Sumia to level 15 promoted? Probably just gonna stick with Speed+2.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Now you have her hang out with Owain because let's face it, they're perfect for each other.

:allears:

Now all I need to do is grind up so my characters don't get hosed by the mobs of enemies.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Half my regular force is like 10 levels ahead of the other half cause the other half just pairs up and serves as stat sticks. Do you get to field more than 10'ish units later on?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Half my regular force is like 10 levels ahead of the other half cause the other half just pairs up and serves as stat sticks. Do you get to field more than 10'ish units later on?

Fifteen is the limit in the last 7 or 8 chapters.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Jesus christ Donnel is so loving good. I got him to level 15 villager and just reclassed him. I honestly think that he is going to cap like everything except magic and resistance before I'm even able to promote him.

Rascyc posted:

I dunno about the force limits, but you can switch who's in the lead so you balance out the XP more.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

theshim posted:

Agh, passing anything good down to Lucina seems to be really dumb - how am I supposed to get Sumia to level 15 promoted? Probably just gonna stick with Speed+2.

If Sumia is the mom, then she can just go Dark Flier herself and you wont need to kill yourself grinding. :ssh:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Flame112 posted:

I dunno about the force limits, but you can switch who's in the lead so you balance out the XP more.
Yes but there's really no point unless you need something in particular (or just find it fun).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wait, does my character need to be promoted Lvl. 15 by the time they get married for the kid to inherit the skill, or do they need to be promoted lvl. 15 by the time the respective paralogue pops up?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Wait, does my character need to be promoted Lvl. 15 by the time they get married for the kid to inherit the skill, or do they need to be promoted lvl. 15 by the time the respective paralogue pops up?

The paralogue, but one kid joins in Chapter 13.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 7, 2013

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Calaveron posted:

By the time you enter the paralogue. The one exception is Chrom's kid, who is locked in inheritance-wise at chapter 13 automatically.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Calaveron posted:

By the time you PLAY the paralogue, IIRC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

404GoonNotFound posted:

By the time you PLAY the paralogue, IIRC.

Hell you can go in, check them out and retreat then reset the parents skills and when you come back the kid's will be updated too. I did that with one kid when I realized I was about to let her inherit armsthrift instead of Aptitude.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Quick question for clarification: When you get a character to level 10 in a promoted class, can you change them to any of the other promotoed classes they can access from all their base classes, or only to the promoted class corresponding to the base class you accessed their current promoted class from?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Any promoted class for any base class they can access.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Chapter 11 spoilers:
Dammit Gangrel, why'd you have to suicide yourself against Tharja? I wanted that Gold Bullion (L) and the other chest. :sigh:

Edit: Oh wait. I guess I've got to play clean up before the fight ends. Nevermind!
Edit 2: Oh wait. I don't have any Chest Keys and I can't catch the thief before he escapes. I wanted that money to forge more tomes.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 7, 2013

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
Uh oh. Sumia died to an archer I didn't notice in the first paralogue. To restart or not to restart.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Your selection of advanced classes is locked into whatever your current class is right? So if I reclass a mercenary to a knight (I don't know if anyone can do this, I'm just using it as an example), my advanced classes will be locked into the knight path?

Is there an exception to this rule in regards to the avatar or is it possible to miss Grandmaster until you reclass back to Tactician?

vvv then I guess the smarter thing to do would be to go Tactician -> Grandmaster and then start reclassing. Thanks.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 7, 2013

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yes.

Yes. You need to be a Tactician in order to be a Grandmaster.

E: From what I can tell, yes. The less "steps" it takes to get your characters the skills you want on them in the class you want them in, the better.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Can someone explain some of the reclassing stuff and promoting stuff to me? I haven't really thought about it because in the Fire Emblems I have played before, I thought you just went to level 20 for stat gains, then promoted and went to 20 again, but here people are saying you would want to reclass sooner, or even multiple times, plus you can then promote that guy. I always considered Fire Emblem as having finite levels, and I have gotten some dudes up to level 10 and they learned a skill, should I be thinking about reclassing or promoting them? Do classes have an effect on stat growths like in some other strategy games (FFT)? I'm guessing second seal is for reclassing and master seal is for promoting, right? Except I haven't really run into too many "random battles" so I don't have a lot of money (well, I have like 6K or so), and grinding on that Marth DLC is annoying because the green player AI is so loving awful. If it isn't stealing my kills then charging into the next enemy, it's blocking me from getting to enemies them by moving right up to where you would normally put like a mage character or an archer.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Devoyniche posted:

Can someone explain some of the reclassing stuff and promoting stuff to me? I haven't really thought about it because in the Fire Emblems I have played before, I thought you just went to level 20 for stat gains, then promoted and went to 20 again, but here people are saying you would want to reclass sooner, or even multiple times, plus you can then promote that guy. I always considered Fire Emblem as having finite levels, and I have gotten some dudes up to level 10 and they learned a skill, should I be thinking about reclassing or promoting them? Do classes have an effect on stat growths like in some other strategy games (FFT)? I'm guessing second seal is for reclassing and master seal is for promoting, right? Except I haven't really run into too many "random battles" so I don't have a lot of money (well, I have like 6K or so), and grinding on that Marth DLC is annoying because the green player AI is so loving awful. If it isn't stealing my kills then charging into the next enemy, it's blocking me from getting to enemies them by moving right up to where you would normally put like a mage character or an archer.

Every character* has two other tier 1 classes they can reclass into, using a Second Seal once they reach level 10. You get you get your level reset to one, your stats change to reflect the new class (no penalties despite the level reset though), and your growths change to reflect the new class. Tier 1 classes learn a skill at levels 1 and 10, tier 2 classes learn skills at 5 and 15. Promotion still works the same.

e: For example, Lissa can reclass into a Pegasus Knight, or a Mage. If you wanted to, once she hit level 10, you could use a Second Seal to move her into Pegasus Knight. She'd get some boosts to her offensive stats, and her growths would change somewhat. She'd also be level 1. Now, once she hits level 10 in Peg. Knight (or 20 if you want to wait), she can use a Master Seal to promote to either a Dark Flier, or a Falcon Knight. Say you level her in Dark Flier, all the way up until 15. Then, she'd have learned clerics' two skills, Peg. Knights' two skills, and Dark Fliers' two skills. If you wanted to reclass her from Dark Flier into War Monk (one of her original class' promotions), you'd need to use a Second Seal once she'd hit level 10 in Dark Flier.

*Kinda. Your Avatar can be any class, and children characters can be any class either parent could be.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 7, 2013

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

NEW Eccentric Girl posted:

I bought the bundle on Gamestop's site Monday night, just got an email saying it shipped.

If any of you are still hunting for it you might have to do the same, seems like a lot of places are only getting enough to cover preorders.

I've actually never played a Fire Emblem game before; I bought the bundle because I like the design and I'm anticipating Soul Hackers/SMT4. The more I read about Awakening, though, the more it seems like something I'd enjoy, so I'm pretty excited to try it out!

Same here, loving finally. I should get it Friday!

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I think the most "efficient" grindy method for getting skills is basically to get to level 10 in as many base classes as you want/can, and then move on to promoted classes, while never going back to the base ones. I mean, I did that for the kids after I got the hang of the process, and even Brady became a monster post getting his parent and S-rank supports.

e: I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the tougher spotpass and DLC map since right now, all I have is the penultimate map to train on for supports. It gets dull after a while.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 7, 2013

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

^^Most of the unpromoted skills aren't that great, though. Armsthrift is fantastic, Movement +1 is great and Locktouch and Discipline have their uses but they aren't really worth delaying access to stuff like Galeforce, Sol, Luna, the -breaker and -faire skills and the like.

How does the Dark Knight skill Life Absorb work? Does it recover 50% of the user's HP? 50% of damage dealt? 50% of the enemy's total HP?

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 7, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

WrightOfWay posted:

How does the Dark Knight skill Life Absorb work? Does it recover 50% of the user's HP? 50% of damage dealt? 50% of the enemy's total HP?

Should be 50% of the user's max HP. It's worded the same as the other self healing skills like Renewal and Relief.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I so wish the chapter 16 boss could have been an ally.

"My Whiskers give me super powers!"

Dude don't I know it. He is the best character in the game as far as I am concerned(sorry Sully!)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SC Bracer posted:

I think the most "efficient" grindy method for getting skills is basically to get to level 10 in as many base classes as you want/can, and then move on to promoted classes, while never going back to the base ones. I mean, I did that for the kids after I got the hang of the process, and even Brady became a monster post getting his parent and S-rank supports.
Yeah, it's not at all immediately obvious that once you hit 10 in a promoted class, you can reclass into a new promoted class. At least I think you can!

Honestly it's pretty annoying to play this game without at least looking at the skill page at Serenes at least once to see if it's worth spending any time at all in a base class.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You can eventually buy master and second seals, so don't worry too much about the scarcity. While your exp gain continually gets slower based on your total levels, there is a maximum beyond which your exp won't slow down any more. Really though, as far as I know you can't ever permanently lock yourself out of a class. You can even go back to basic classes from promoted classes if you want to pick up some skills, though it won't get you much by way of stats except in cases of exceptional rng screwing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
When I was checking out what my dudes could swap into with a Second Seal (not actually USING the thing, but just looking at stats) I definitely saw examples of stats dropping when changing classes. Sumia for example can go from Peg. Knight to Knight, and her resistance would have dropped from 12 to 6. Is that temporary? Or is it just showing the base stats for the prospective class? Or do the stats actually drop?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Fisher King posted:

When I was checking out what my dudes could swap into with a Second Seal (not actually USING the thing, but just looking at stats) I definitely saw examples of stats dropping when changing classes. Sumia for example can go from Peg. Knight to Knight, and her resistance would have dropped from 12 to 6. Is that temporary? Or is it just showing the base stats for the prospective class? Or do the stats actually drop?

The stats drop because each class has a "base" set of stats which are layered on top of the characters actual stats. Changing your class alters those base stats. You'll lose the stats but only because those stats were a bonus from your class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

The stats drop because each class has a "base" set of stats which are layered on top of the characters actual stats. Changing your class alters those base stats. You'll lose the stats but only because those stats were a bonus from your class.

Ah, that makes sense. I figured it sounded too good to be true to think that you took exactly the stats you had as class A into class B...

• Locked thread