Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Oh my God! Gimle and Dark Tome Gimle are localized as Grima and Grima's Truth! The English localization is just amazing all around! :allears:

I can legitimately not tell if this is sarcasm or not. :v:

(Man, they changed Krom to Chrom probably to avoid legal action from the Doyle estate, how the hell did Nintendo Legal think Grima would pass muster?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Alacron posted:

I think some people are getting Rob Liefeld flashbacks.

The Lyn DLC will obliterate them in that case

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, as much as there's talk about Nintendo going all out in advertisement for this (and it is getting fairly wide, the new GameInformer apparently has four solid pages of ads for FE:A), I'm still amused by the fact that the official website for FE:A is still this and that there's zero mention of Awakening, or even Shadow Dragon, on https://www.fire-emblem.com when we're a hair over two weeks out from this thing. Did they just not bother having the web team do anything for it? Like not even bother converting the Japanese site over?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Does anybody know if Awakening has side levels or towers you can choose at any time to fight in? I really enjoyed the inclusion of a multi-storied tower you can turn to instead of relying on chapters to level up your characters.

No towers, but there's buckets of side missions, not even counting the DLC. It is, in fact, how you recruit a number of characters.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Slate Action posted:

You know, two days ago I swore I didn't have the money to buy a 3DS to play this game, but all day today I kept thinking that I do have that Amazon gift credit...and there are some games I could trade in...hmm...

What is happening to me

The true Fire Emblem begins now. :q:

Also the chat about FeMC and Chrom is a little ironic to me, as while the FeMC actually has the lowest "priority" for Chrom's plot-mandated marriage, I've had at least one person tell me flat-out that, far from feeling "forced", FeMC+Chrom is practically the only way to go as it makes a good portion of the latter half of the story far, far more poignant. It's definitely what I plan to do.

It is very much not mandatory, however.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Anyone else really like the battle scenes? It feels like the first time since the GBA games that battles looked fun to watch. Not to mention the 3D looks particularly good.

The animations have an energy that's generally been lacking since the GBA titles. There's a reason there's so many GBA avatars but virtually no Radiance series ones.

On a somewhat similar tack, as a bit of interesting trivia - here's how the various FE titles have sold in Japan over the years. I pulled up/compiled these numbers while doing a bit of posting on NeoGAF.

FE Japan Sales according to Famitsu posted:

20/04/90 [NES] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - 329,000
14/03/92 [NES] Fire Emblem Gaiden - 325,000
21/01/94 [SNES] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - 776,000
14/05/96 [SNES] Fire Emblem: Bloodlines of the Holy War - 429,763 (498,000 according to other sources)
28/08/99 [SNES] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 158,695
29/03/02 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - 345,574
25/04/03 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade - 265,286
07/10/04 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 246,719
20/04/05 [GCN] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 156,413
22/02/07 [WII] Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 171,924
07/08/08 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - 252,309
15/07/10 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow - 247,248
19/04/12 [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - 453,672

Basically, up until Awakening, 3D-model Fire Emblems always sold poorly, with PoR basically tying within the margin of error with Thracia 776 for worst-selling entry in the series. (Thracia did so bad mostly because it was the last SNES game ever released. Even the comparatively terrible Shadow Dragon DS remake pulled in more sales when it went back to handheld/2D.)

The aesthetics have helped a lot, I suspect. What it does make me (and others) wonder is whether or not future installments will appear on the WiiU at all, as it seems like the franchise has performed far better on handhelds in recent history. The irony being that it would be far easier to replicate the spiffy Awakening interface on the WiiU than it would the original Wii, as you basically have a touchscreen.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 19, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Iceclaw posted:

I think, but don't quote me on here, that it was at that time that consoles were declining while handhelds were becoming dominant. It might hve played a role.

That hasn't stopped being true. Handhelds are the predominant platform in Japan now; the 3DS, for example, has already outsold the PS3 in Japan. The DS sold very nearly one unit to every household in Japan, going by volume.

The Radiance games actually didn't too too badly, given their systems' market penetration at the time (~3 million units for PoR, and not even that for RD) but they were selling to systems that were no longer dominant. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the 3DS play exclusive host to the next FE game, as well, given how well it's done so far (and the DLC made a killing in Japan, too - over 1.2 million downloads served, and that number comes from months ago).

But yeah, I agree it's kind of sad, but it's understandable - it's what happens when the games are released to a non-dominant system.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Veev posted:

It's funny they were trumping up "You're actions have consequences!" when this is the first game where perma death is optional.

To be fair, they're talking about more than just permadeath with this particular title.

Fake edit: gently caress, beaten.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Anyone know if I can make MU into Canas again in this?

Fairly easily, though it's worth remembering that magic works a bit differently in this game as opposed to the GBA games. The "magic wheel" is more or less gone; element is now more about weight and damage. There is basically no actual "holy" damage magic, and "dark" magic is largely about special effects like drains and poo poo.

You can definitely class change over to Dark Mage if you want to, though.

Captain Oblivious posted:

A) Is Sallya as annoying as she sounds? I read her description on the Fire Emblem wiki and it had "obnoxious tsundere crazy lady" written all over it.

She's not really tsundere so much as she's just distant and kind of "emo" to everyone... EXCEPT the protagonist. Of either gender. :v: So she's super nice to you and cooler to everyone else. While having the most goddamn ridiculous outfit in the game (though admittedly, NPC Dark Mages wear the same stupid outfit).

I'm also given to understanding that the ultimate reason she's so attached to the PC ends up being fairly sweet.

I have no idea why they made her name "Tharja", though; people are gonna mispronounce that so hard. :psyduck: What was wrong with Sallya or even Sariya?!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh so what you two are now saying is that there in fact is no monocle and/or purple hair in this game.

Well now I'm sad.

Oh there's absolutely purple hair. I think there might also be an eyeglasses option? Not sure. You can deffo create a glasses-less Canas though, there's a billion hair color options.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait is this saying that hairstyles and faces are limited to body styles?

It's due to how the Avatar 3D models are put together; so yeah, each body type has its own selection of looks.

There are a goodly number of hair color options, though.

For Regy: Male Average, Face 4, Hair 2 should produce a reasonable facsimile of Canas. The only problem might be that he's a little shorter than intended (I always got the impression Canas was a fairly tall dude).

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 22, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Nakar posted:

To be fair, there's really only one or two instances of this actually being workable. Most of the characters aren't in any way related, so it's largely impossible to engineer any kind of incest.

(Minor spoilers up ins)

Yeah, the "kissing cousins/aunt-uncle&nephew-niece" is largely a result of IntSys not really thinking through the consequences of the Avatar being able to marry every single opposite-gender character. As a result, you can actually end up with one or more third-generation characters, technically, or with a certain character who is related to another in one specific pairing but not in any other and the game script sometimes just does not know what the hell to do in these cases and just defaults to "they're romanceable".

In 95%+ percent of cases, though, the game will catch that something weird would happen and prevent anything other than a "good friendship" from occurring. In anything remotely resembling "normal play", you won't come across anything creepy or :japan:-worthy.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Rueish posted:

Okay, I haven't read the entire thread but I wanted to ask a question. I've always wanted to get into the FE series and just.. never did, would I be okay jumping into this or would it be better for me to play some of the older titles first?

This is the perfect place to jump in. Everything is explained, there are links to the older games but you really don't need to understand them at all to enjoy the plot, and the gameplay has been refined greatly from previous FE titles.

If anything, Awakening might ruin you for previous titles in the series. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Still chuckling at the fact that they really have forgotten the fact that http://www.fire-emblem.com/ exists :v:

Also a few of those name-changes are surprising and probably not what I would have done working on the project myself, but there's nothing wrong with them.

The one thing I AM going to complain about, having looked at "Say'ri"'s page is that they seem to have gone nuts with the apostrophes for everything concerning the land she and Lonqu are from. I hate hate hate HATE when people do that because that isn't really the correct use of an apostrophe and looks very contrived (even if, in this case, I think I see why they did it). It's a personal complaint, but a significant and distracting one.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

Chrom marries a random villager, if, and only if, all of his possible pairings are either dead or paired by chapter 11. His pairing options are Sully, Female My Unit, Sumia, Maribelle, and Olivia, for the curious, so that requires pairing up or killing off at least four units by chapter 11. Five if you have a female my unit.

IIRC, Chrom also goes for the nameless girl if, somehow, he does not have a single level of support-affection for any of the candidates. This pretty much means having him stand next to exactly zero female characters, ever. It takes effort. In the event of a support level tie between candidates, one is apparently picked out of a priority of Sumia-Maribelle-Sully-Olivia-Avatar, Sumia being first. Of course, whoever has highest rank with Chrom gets priority over anything else, so if Avatar has A or S rank with everyone else at B or below, Avatar and Chrom will enter blissful matrimony.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Does anyone have any information about this?

Amazon's run through their initial allotment of the game and are working from backorders at this point; the point being that people who order now are going to have to wait for the second printing/shipment.

Which will happen because Awakening is selling out everywhere. It is glorious to see.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The most important question is: does the cartridge still have the awesome pixel art the Japanese version did? http://tinycartridge.com/image/21266353753

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Well, as far as "what will the next FE game be", I can't help but notice that Seisen no Keifu got twice as many characters as any other game did when it comes to SpotPass challenges... :allears:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Tae posted:

Just say the mask is Magic and changes voices, it's not that hard writers.

The thing is, it's supposed to actually be rather obvious she isn't Marth, in-universe. Even the characters pick up rather quickly on the fact that a lot of things don't add up and she isn't doing that good a Marth impersonation, Falchion or no.

Also, Vaike time, best time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mordecai posted:

(Marth DLC "plot" spoilers) Anyone else notice that your allies are all men and your enemies are all women? All this trouble is going to come down to Hubba being a loving idiot, isn't it?

The second DLC, wherein we get the Drakengard-inspired Roy at the end, reverses it and has you fighting all of the male leads of the FE games with the help of Lyn, Eirika and Celica from FE2.

Assuming Hubba is a bit of a doof is generally a good idea, however. :v:

EDIT: Speaking of the DLC, if you bring certain units, they can talk to certain other units on the map. For Champions of Yore 1:

Chrom: Eirika and Marth
Lissa: Julia and Alm
Virion: Elincia
Miriel: Lilina
Kellam: Caeda
Maribelle: Micaiah
Gregor: Lyndis
Henry: Dierdre
Owain: Nanna

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 1, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Lotish posted:

How do Great Knights stack up against Paladins? In FE8 they couldn't move as far and were vulnerable to two kinds of effective weapons, so even though I thought they were cool they had some serious marks against them. Is that still the case?

The big gimmick with Great Knights is that, theoretically, they can always have triangle advantage in a melee encounter. Which, you know, counts for a lot, both offensively and defensively. I'm not sure what the exact adjustment is in Awakening, but in the GBA and Radiance FEs it was usually plus or minus one damage and +/- 10% hit, plus applied to you and minus applied to the enemy.

The trick, of course, is whether or not you really need that much versatility. I think they ultimately fall a bit behind Paladins in Awakening still, though I'm not super familiar with what skills both get offhand. In general, though, unless you REALLY REALLY wanted a mounted axe user (who wasn't already an Axe Knight in the games that allow that), Great Knights aren't actually that great.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

So.

As far as full-price packaged video game software is concerned.

Fire Emblem is now literally the #1 selling item on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-...&pf_rd_i=468642

Literally. #1. Everything ahead of it in the "all items" list is either point cards, a free MMO, said MMO's super-cheap precessor, or bundle deals.

It's outselling Dead Space 3 on preorders at this point.

:stare:

This is beyond "amazing" and into "I'm not really sure what to think anymore" territory. The Q4 sales report for Nintendo is going to be interesting, if nothing else.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Fantastic, thank you.

e: Actually, one more question. Is "luck" a viable priority stat for the protagonist? I wanted to go for a high crit character who ignores magic, but if my RPG experience tells me anything it's that luck is almost always a trap stat.

Luck's primary role is as crit defense. Which, while important, is not really a priority stat. I would just leave it alone, making it neither a priority nor deficient stat.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

How big is it going to be?

8500 blocks, so around 1.5GB.

And... people haven't gotten a nice, fat 16GB SD card for their 3DS? :psyduck: They cost less than $20 if you know where to look. Storage is one of the 3DS' best features because it uses a very standard, cheap format! If anything I want more digital releases because I can put FE:A on this card ten times over and still have plenty of room left!

Anyway, so excited for this :3: and at this point I'll be going digital too. I wanted to support a local independent game shop with a physical copy, but the shipping situation has made things too crazy for that, and I kind of prefer digital anyway. It helps that my left foot is still not in the best traveling shape :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SC Bracer posted:

I was listening to the 8-4 podcast, where they talk for about ten minutes about Awakening. I think it's kind of neat that they're about as big fans of the game as anyone here. :3: I do wish they'd been able to talk a bit more about the actual localisation process itself, since I find that sort of chat hella interesting.

Depending on the client, sometimes you have to play those sorts of cards really close to the chest because the client for this sort of project doesn't want to reveal much about their practices. I can definitely see Nintendo being like that, so the 8-4 crew may not be able to say much.

Also, while 99% of the loc work is absolutely great, there's a few name choices that seem really hurf. "Bolganone"? "Lodestar"? :what: Really, guys?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Bolganone is latin for volcano.

I'm 99% sure it isn't - the word for volcano in Latin is vulcanus in every reference I can find. It isn't a huge deal but it seemed sort of obvious to me and others that IntSys was going for "Volcannon".

Speaking of volcanos, though, Chapter 18 :aaa:. Don't think I've ever seen THIS in a Fire Emblem game before. I'm actually a little confused about the mechanics involved here: will the hazard parts of the map eventually "cool off", allowing you to retreat back? Or is it purely down to driving you forward before the entire map is engulfed in flames?

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 9, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Artix74 posted:

Oh god, Marth's DLC is a perfect recreation of chapter 1. :allears: I assume the rest of the DLC is similar? I know I remember seeing something that was based of Light (FE7).

Yes; the next set (Archanea vs. Jugdral) uses the first map from Geneology. The Elibe & Magvel vs. Tellius DLCs use the last chapter of Blazing Sword for their map, and the Heroes vs. Villains missions use Chapter 8 (the fort siege) from Path of Radiance. The other, less nostalgia-based DLCs use new maps, though it tends to use classic music.

With the exception of the silly beach DLC, but I will say no more about that one and I encourage people to not spoil themselves. :allears:

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 9, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, I've managed to unlock all the paralogues, but several are still beyond my confidence in my current strength, and with others I want more levels to pass on the parents' skills. I guess I should take the high-level enemies as a hint that it's okay to focus on the plot for a while longer, but I'm beginning to wonder if it'll be too late to even use Gerome by the time I get Bowbreaker on his dad. All my other plans are much more modestly attained, or not planned at all because I don't expect to care that much, but that particular combination I had to try.

I've had folks familiar with the Japanese version tell me that, ultimately, the kids outside of Lucina are really largely a gimmick when it comes to the main plot; they all come in at level 10 unpromoted, thus necessitating grinding just to get them up to anything approaching usability. They're a fun eugenics side-game (and/or quite necessary for the hardest of the hard DLCs) and the interactions with their parents are a lot of fun, but ultimately you shouldn't worry too much about it; it is likely that, no, outside of tons of grinding Gerome won't be very useful by the time he can get Bowbreaker. It will likely be the first generation who comprises your final assault team for the last few missions unless you grind the kids up; Seisen no Keifu, this isn't.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Flame112 posted:

It's 5th or last.

This exactly. If they don't have a fifth skill, it's just whatever is at the bottom of their list. You can reorder the skills for maximum eugenics purposes.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

(speaking of sacred stones who is l'arachide and what the hell is going on there)

I'll field that one, as it's mostly my fault :v: Basically in the Sacred Stones LP I sperged out a little bit about L'Arachel's name because, to me, it is fairly obvious that it's supposed to be some kind of version of "Rachel", but the Japanese screwed up the original transliteration thanks to L/R funkiness and Treehouse then just rolled with it, and she ended up with a fake-French title for a name. Another poster, however, pointed out that it's very close to "L'Arachide" - "The Peanut". :3: So now I can no longer call L'Arachel anything other than a peanut.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 13, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

It's like they were written by someone who has only ever had valentine's cards and jokes described to them before.

The Walhart one is amazing, though. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

You know it's been a good week and I still can't find a drat copy from any retailers or game stores. What's going on at Nintendo? Are they kneecapping physical sales in order to maximize download profits and keep used sales from undercutting profits?

I think they honestly were just caught with their pants down by the demand. It actually seems like the print run was decently sized, it was all just spoken for on pre-orders and they're scrambling to catch up.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man, pairing Chrom with Avatar really makes for a hell of a lot more trauma for Lucina; first, you have the whole "I know this is matricide, but if you hold any love for Chrom, then let this be done" convo, then it actually looks like her mother killed her father again, and if you choose Avatar's ending, then it looks like her mom is dead. :sigh:

This is totally why both myself and BlondRobin maintain that Chrom/Avatar totally has to be "canon". Normally I don't get fussed too much about such things, but the entire story is just so much better (and, on certain levels, makes a lot more sense) if you take that route.

Daerc posted:

I love Missiletainn because it always makes me think of Ghost Trick when I see it. The fact that it can only be used by Owain makes it even better in my mind.

All of a sudden I have an image of Owain wielding Missile like a weapon in my mind. It is glorious.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Nakar posted:

I should note that at the end of Fire Emblem 4, this is more or less exactly the situation with Seliph and/or Julia. To the point that I'm taking it as an intentional callback.

Yeah, that's another level on which it works: "the second lord being a product of the union of the two main characters from the first generation and having traces of both Naga and [evil dragon] in them, along with their amnesiac sibling" is literally how Geneaology of the Holy War plays out. In a game full of callbacks, it feels way, way too deliberate to NOT be another one.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, there's a couple maps which are basically survival maps in all but name - the Tiki one is one, and the Port Ferox mission is another wherein the goal is to "rout the enemy", sure, but they all come at you and on Hard or above, if your lines break, you're probably hosed.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Roguelike posted:

Day 2 of no pair up lunatic. True Fire Emblem starts here.

http://www.twitch.tv/roguelike

This is an absolute meatgrinder. :stonk:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, a few of those are a little :raise:. I can totally get behind Saias, Larcei and Ulster (especially since the latter two fix the gendering problems Ayra's kids had), but I was hoping the 8-4 team would realize that The Gen 1 Princess is supposed to be Lachesis. Also not sure about Quan. :psyduck: Also diggin' Raydrik for the villain of Thracia 776, but I'm a little disappointed with "Arvis". It's a totally valid reading of the name, but I think "Alvis" rolls off the tongue a bit better.

Of course, hard to know how much of it is 8-4 and how much of it was mandates coming down from higher up in the Nintendo chain of command. Still mostly pleased as a Spergy Longtime FE Fan, though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SC Bracer posted:

Those names for the legacy characters... I don't know how I feel about them at all. Julia and Julius are absolutely improvements over Yuria and Yurius for example, but "Ced", not to mention "Larcei" and "Ulster" are kinda confusing. Oh well, at least I know how to spell these things now.

Well, for Ayra's Kids, the problem was that it was eventually deduced and confirmed that they were named after St. Lachtain (ラクチェ) and Scathach (スカサハ)... the issue being that the girl was named Lachtain, and the guy Scathach. If you didn't do something about it, you might run the greater risk of annoying or offending Irish folks or anyone passingly familiar with Irish mythology. The names given are as good a solution as any (I would have done similar in such a position), and largely keep the Irish/Celtic themeing of the Isaach folks intact.

"Ced", though... that one left me scratching my head.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

Oh I was supposed to reclass them? Well I hosed up.

Nah, it's just an option. They end up getting better stones that allow them to "upgrade" their passive stat boosts even further to keep up.

Frankly I kept Nowi as a Manakete simply because she was one of the few good anti-caster units I had while still maintaining good defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

avlein posted:

How in the world did they get "Baldur" right, but translate Valhalla as "Belhalla?" :psyduck:

The in-game Engrish on the Seisen map likes to call it "Barhara".

Personally I would have called it "Valhall" or something, but.

• Locked thread