Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Regy Rusty posted:

I guess I'll have to see how it's integrated. It does sound more important and hopefully it'll make natural sense as to when it should be done. One of the reasons I don't like it in 11 and 12 is that you can just do it whenever, and I had no way of deciding when it was a good idea, so I just chose to ignore it.

It doesn't change the fact that characters feel less like individuals when they can just swap sideways to be another class which is the other reason I don't like it.

This is my sole problem with reclassing also. It's less interesting when Haar is no longer Haar, badass Wyvern Lord, but instead Haar general amorphous badass who I should probably reclass repeatedly. I liked it more when class was integral to character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Francis posted:

"I like Fire Emblem, but I wish more of the information about game mechanics was hidden from the player," said no one, ever.

As far as I can tell support bonuses are completely hidden unless you leave animations on. And as always, what effect if any weapon skill has on your stats is hidden even though it changes nearly every single game. I want to see what skills do without using the stylus, but I guess that's not possible either.

As for the rest, well. I know Fire Emblem has always been anime as gently caress, but it had a kind of 80s throwback charm to it. This pandering moé bullshit can die in a fire.

What

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Don't get me wrong. I think the art style in this game is kind of bad and Nono is kind of awful but

Pandering moe bullshit?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Now if only everyone didn't have weird stumpy hoof feet in this game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I hope they don't continue to let stat creep get out of control in future games. Way I see it, the smaller numbers were better. Easier to take a quick glance at two units and see exactly how their fight is going down.

Transparent, easy to parse mechanics are one of the highlights of Fire Emblem.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I agree with what you're saying, but stat caps would need to get much higher than 30-50 before it becomes an issue. A lot of the transparency comes from how easy calculations are - a point of strength is a point of damage, a point of defense is one less point of damage, and you double if speed > enemy speed +5. Even with stats in the 40s, none of that really changes.

It's more of a "I'm concerned for upcoming Fire Emblems" thing than a concerned for the current one thing. Kind of like the increasing anime levels in Awakening. It's fine right now but I'm a bit wary of where this is going.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Two questions:

A) Is Sallya as annoying as she sounds? I read her description on the Fire Emblem wiki and it had "obnoxious tsundere crazy lady" written all over it.

B) Isn't there some class skill that increases the activation chance of other skills? I seem to recall that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

She's not really "tsundere crazy lady" so much as she is "evil gloomy witch."

You're thinking of the promoted Lord's second skill.

Dang. I was hoping for something I could put on My Unit. Currently trying to think of a decent skill set up for My Unit with a minimum of reclassing jackassery :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

If all else fails, female Avatar in this game has an eyepatch option. You can be Canas's pirate sister.

Are the portraits listed on the Fire Emblem wiki all there are?

And can I change their hair color?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

Not sure, and yes. You can mix and match options, you don't just have five portraits per character. That said the options are pretty limited and I don't think there's a monocle.

Good enough.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It sounds like My Unit is a better mage than any Mage could ever hope to be, so I can't think of a decent reason not to pick Magic as his strength.

The flaw though. God drat but I don't want to give anything up :negative:

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE GAME

Edit: If I reclass the MU out of Strategist, then back in, does he begin at level 1 again for Strategist or does he return to his old level? How does that work

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 22, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shiny777 posted:

Reclassing always starts you at level 1 in whatever class you switch to, it doesn't remember what level you were last time you were in that class. Though there are invisible internal levels it won't reset that'll keep him from gaining EXP like a completely fresh level 1 dude again. Those can only be reset by promoting with a Master Seal, if memory serves.

Seems like I need to reclass him out ASAP then.

Edit: On that note, can you reclass into promoted classes? Like lets say I've reached Grandmaster once, can I reclass back into it or would I have to reclass back into Strategist to level all the way back to 20?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shiny777 posted:

Depends on what level you do it at.

Unpromoted units, promoted units under 10, and special classes under 30 can only reclass to their unpromoted or special options. Promoted units over 10 and special classes at 30 can reclass directly to promoted classes as well. Promoted units at 20 and special classes at 30 can also use a seal to reset their level to 1 while staying in the same class.

Aha

This makes the whole process considerably less of a BOONDOGGLE.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

There are videos floating around for the Avatar customization.

Male/Female (JPN): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-7UMfe0uw
Male-only (ENG): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLfmFibF_5I

It's going to take a while for the feet to stop being so distracting. They seriously look like they're clipping through the goddamn floor.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

I seriously never notice the feet and have never noticed the feet, even with people pointing them out to me. It's an art thing. The sprites in the GBA games didn't have fingers. Heck, the sprites in the SNES games didn't even have eyes.

It's because the rest of them looks so reasonable. Then you get to the lower torso and it's like what

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

It's stylized. They couldn't do big ol' character models like Radiant Dawn's that were nicely detailed, and Path of Radiance's were honestly kind of poo poo. They settled for simplified yet exaggerated models, overemphasizing the head (since that's most of the 'character' in the models, and helps distinguish them) and arms (since that's where the weapons are, as well as most of the motion).

It's not an anatomy class, jeez.

I actually edited my post because after looking at it longer, I realized it wasn't that their arms were too long it's that their lower torso is weirdly tiny.

I'm not sure if simplified is even a valid defense, because their art is completely reasonable...until you get to the lower torso. It's just bad art :v:

Not bad enough to be a deal breaker by any means.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I find it hard to believe that adding feet to their character models would have been that resource intensive, when they already had plenty of detail to spare for My Unit's coat.

Edit: I don't care about your opinion of the art's quality, I'm just interested in the claim that it's a decision in the name of hardware limitations. That claim is more than a little hard to believe. The lack of feet seems more likely a stylistic choice irrespective of memory constraints or what have you. The character models are already generally higher quality than Path of Radiance's. The only thing missing...is feet.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 22, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ah right I see, I was thrown off because your claim of it being a decision in the name of memory was more in response to my old post about the arms, before I'd realized that the arms seeming off was more symptomatic of the lower torso than a problem with the arms themselves. Carry on.

Zurai posted:

The problem with that is the lack of feet actually draws attention to the legs, rather than decreasing the emphasis on them.

Also this. The hooves make me think of Chinese footbinding, which is mad creepy poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

From the OP

iv) Chrom and your Avatar have slightly unique inheritance. Your Avatar will always have an specific opposite gendered child, on top of the mother-dependant child (assuming a male Avatar). Similarly, Chrom will always have a specific daughter, on top of the mother-dependant child. Furthermore, Chrom’s daughter(s) will always inherit Aether, and his son will always inherit Royal Weapon.

Okay now here's my question, is there anything stopping me from passing on Magnificent Flame to the Avatar's children?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Do skill scrolls exist at all in Awakening or are skills gained entirely through reclassing around?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

The only one that really confuses me is how we went from Tiamo to Cordelia.

I mean Cordelia is a nice enough name but what.

It's a bit of a bizarre leap I agree.

But a good name so sure why not. :shobon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lotish posted:

I just noticed: Are those spikes on the bottom of her bustle? Why!? It just seems like she asking to stick one in her calf. Does she need to use her dress as a tent?

Stuff like this is why I'm not overly fond of the art direction. Just a lot of really stupid, Nomura-esque pointless fobs and poo poo on outfits.

Like the fact that Frederick appears to be wearing some kind of tux/formal suit underneath his armor? And Chrom's pants.

On an unrelated note, Walhart is a pretty solid localization. I imagine it's meant to evoke a German accent.

Edit: And while we're on the topic of ridiculous looking outfits, pretty much everything related to Cherche

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 25, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lotish posted:

Well the "toilet armor" portion of Sully's outfit is just a form of gorget or bevor neck armor, so I actually kind of like it. And Kellam's armor is just an extension of the ludicrous shoulder pads we're used to seeing in other games, really, so no one even really notices it. It's the overdesigned bits and bobs like the awkwardly placed spikes on the bottom of her dress that stick out for me. The rest of the costume I can just kind of accept, but those just push it over into stupid for me. They also don't matter because as far as I can tell they don't even appear on her character model, so :geno:

THe real deal breaker on Lissa's thing is not only that it has spikes, but that the spikes are curved inward. Why would you do that? :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

Virion's design is great. I will fight you.

EDIT: Also it's not like old FE games didn't have their over-designed moments.

Virion is great, and there are plenty of good designs in Awakening. Particularly, Basilio strikes me as stylized in a way that doesn't tip over the edge into "THIS IS STUPID". Stahl and Sully look great, as do the Pegasus Riders. The issue is that those who offend, do so in remarkably bizarre ways.

Lissa, Frederick, Chrom, Cherche what the gently caress is going on with your EVERYTHING.

Edit: Gangrel has some strong design to him as well. Take one good look at him and you immediately know that somebody made Mark Hamill's Joker a King.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_growth_all.html

This page is tearing me apart. I can't settle on a strength and flaw for My Unit! I can't settle on a waifu! What do I loving do! :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Currently planning on playing the game on Hard since it sounds like Normal is way too easy. Especially in light of the many sort of power creep-y features in Awakening.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So okay, Awakening people

Lets say I have Cordelia as a waifu and I get her to learn Lightning Speed and My Unit learns Quick Slash from Demon Fighter. Can I pass those skills, one from each parent, onto the kid?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zore posted:

You can't pass on DLC skills. Female characters can never have Quick Slash.

Mother fuckers! :argh:

There has to be a more thorough write up on the rules for this poo poo somewhere.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Question.

What the gently caress is a waifu?

Also, related, is there a generally accepted pairings list for the best results for children? Just out of curiosity, because I know FE4 has something similar.

It is a silly phrase for wife. Originally used to make fun of weeaboos who got worked up over dating sims 'n stuff, I believe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zore posted:

Not really, they come at level 10 with high inherited stats from their parents, c ranks in their weapons and with four skills halfway through the game. You can promote all of them immediately and have them start wrecking faces, or change seal them etc.

And unlike Est/Nino their growths tend to be slightly worse than their parents (though more well rounded). Its just their stat caps which can be significantly higher.

I thought stat caps were determined by your class?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Can you adjust the order of your skills, or is that sort of thing fixed?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

Yes, of course. You are free to swap around between any you have unlocked at any time.

Thank god. I wasn't sure how much Intelligent Systems hates me. I mean they act all fine but...but sometimes they hit us :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Welp, I was trying to figure out who I thought would be best for the Villager guy to pair with and this has got to be it. Speaking of manaketes, do they still have to rely on a limited use non-replenishable item for their attack or are things a little nicer in that regard now?

Too bad the only Manakete Donny can be paired with is incredibly terrible and impossible to justify using ever.

And her daughter is just as insufferable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I kind of regret preordering the bundle online now. Should have raided a local store! :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hard Mode best mode.

That may just be Radiant Dawn talking though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So where does Awakening Hard fall in comparison to Radiant Dawn Normal (North American)?

Harder or easier? If it's about the same I'm going for it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

The big gimmick with Great Knights is that, theoretically, they can always have triangle advantage in a melee encounter. Which, you know, counts for a lot, both offensively and defensively. I'm not sure what the exact adjustment is in Awakening, but in the GBA and Radiance FEs it was usually plus or minus one damage and +/- 10% hit, plus applied to you and minus applied to the enemy.

The trick, of course, is whether or not you really need that much versatility. I think they ultimately fall a bit behind Paladins in Awakening still, though I'm not super familiar with what skills both get offhand. In general, though, unless you REALLY REALLY wanted a mounted axe user (who wasn't already an Axe Knight in the games that allow that), Great Knights aren't actually that great.

Luna. Luna is a strong strong argument in favor of the Great Knight.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

My bundle still hasn't shipped. I ordered it from Gamestops website well in advance and now I'm left wondering when the thing is actually gonna move :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gamestops website still lists my damned bundle as Open. Not pending, not processing, no update whatsoever :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Artix74 posted:

20 is your max level. This is a little different since Awakening has reclassing, but by going to 20, you get the maximum stat gains before promoting. So a unit that goes 20/20 (max before promotion, max after) will have better stats than someone who went 10/20 by promoting as soon as they could, due to the first unit having rolled 10 more levels before promoting.

With internal levels and the fact that you're presumed to be doing more levelling anyway, wouldn't it be better to reclass out the moment you have your relevant skills?

• Locked thread