Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

This will be my first Fire Emblem game because I was always turned off by stupid perma-death and now with the option to be rid of that, I am interested to play.

That said, I have a question: What exactly are the key differences between classes? From what I have seen there is no class specific abilities, you just walk beside dude and swing. If any given class can use the same weapon as another class, why should I pick one over the other? I assume mounted/flying classes move further and some stats might be different but other than that I am clueless.

Example that specifically I wonder about is that your My Unit class is good with swords and spells, but so is the dark knight class, why one over the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

If you go to hard right away does that disable tutorials? I love a challenge but my knowledge of how everything works is a bit limited. I know for FE12 picking anything but normal disabled tutorials.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Picked up my copy today, really stoked. This is the first time I can remember Canada getting a game before the US since Kingpin for PC, and that was in friggin 1999.

Now time to agonize which difficulty I should start at.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Start at Hard. Normal is a bit too easy.

Okie dokes that is what I am gonna do then.

I picked +Skill -Resistance, hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ok so Sully is totally the coolest character.

Now that I said that, Is there anyway to get master seals besides from the rare shopkeep? Most of my dudes are eligible to promote but I am limited by seals.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ok now that you normals got the game, I have to say watch out for Sumia, she is cursed for levels or something. Me and 2 of my friends are all 20 or more hours in and none of us have a Sumia that has more than 13 str or 10 mag.

Also everyone use Sully, shes the best.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

YorexTheMad posted:

So, for those in the know, can you make your Tactician unit into strong magic user, or should you stick to poking things? What Perks/Flaws combos would make the most sense, +Magic and -Skill?

I've never had to make my own unit in a FE game before, I'm clamming up at the possibilities.

You can absolutely make a strong magic user, in fact I probably use the ranged magic option about 8 times out of 10. However I always did like the option for Melee so once I got the level 15 ability for grandmaster I am now sticking it out as a Dark Knight for swords/tomes.

Now that I know more about the game works I would say skill and speed are the 2 things you would want to - the least. It is very frustrating and has caused a few game overs when a random unit has a slight speed advantage on my MU and gets to attack twice due to it. For a proper mage I'd prob do +Mag -Def or Health, although I went for a more generalist approach myself.

ImpAtom posted:

The most absolutely ridiculous class in the game is probably the Sorcerer since you can buy Nosferatu.

Yeah even on hard, Tharja(with nosferatu) paired up with Kellam for defense trivializes the difficulty at most points, no amount of damage can break that wall down.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Hobo Siege posted:

I just cleared Chapter 10 and Hard Mode's looking like a joke right now. My duo of Sully and Frenchman von Ruffles have decided to stop taking damage from arms now that Sully is a Great Knight, Chrom and Robin would be breaking 200 damage a turn if things didn't die well before then and Donny is shaping up to be one hell of a mercenary. Fred and... Uh, bunny lady are no slouches either. Pair your guys up, cap their supports and laugh all the way to the bank.

On hard I was blasting through everything like it wasn't there until I think it was chapter 17, at that point the game suddenly got real on me with tons of valkyries with thoron practically 1 shotting all my guys.

Then I was forced to grind for a bit to beat the mission and the game is trivially easy again.

Will also state that I find flying units fully useless in combat, I keep 1 around simply as a Kellam taxi, that is it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Is spotpass stuff exclusive to your save? I am almost done the game on hard and will probably jump right into lunatic after, and I wonder if I will keep who I collected on spotpass from there.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Lord Ephraim posted:

I so wish the chapter 16 boss could have been an ally.

"My Whiskers give me super powers!"

Dude don't I know it. He is the best character in the game as far as I am concerned(sorry Sully!)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

The Fisher King posted:

So, I got my first S rank support, between Avatar and Panne.

I gotta say, I'm kinda disappointed. There was no real transition from acquaintance>friend>ally>lover. Even within the S rank convo, it just like

Panne:"Awesome carrot soup, I shouldn't focus my dead tribe"

Avatar:"Here's a ring. I love you, marry me"

It just seemed a lot more unprompted than top-level supports in say FE7.

Yeah that is pretty much Kellam and Tharja.

Kellam: Thanks for letting me know how my brother is.
Tharja: no problem, also you are really weird.
Kellam: you are really weird too, lets get married.
Tharja: That would be weird, so yes.

Brought a tear to my eye.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Hey, so say a character has both Luna and Sol. I know only one can trigger at a time but is there any way to give one more priority(like, make it take the dice roll first?) over the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ah excellent, so basically gently caress Sol unless it is the furthest ability down that chain.

• Locked thread