Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Now if only everyone didn't have weird stumpy hoof feet in this game.
The art style definitely reminds me of Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Honestly the only thing that could convince me to leave people permanently dead would be something that isn't just isolated in gameplay mechanics, but rather that deaths had more of an impact on the plot and other characters. But I doubt anyone is going to put Alpha Protocol in Fire Emblem any time soon without carving the cast down to like 12.

That's always been kind of the illusion Fire Emblem games have had since as long as I can remember. People die but everything still marches on perfectly fine (well I guess not quite in Geneology). I'm not a fan of having gameplay so detached from story, so I've always kept everyone alive.

I do miss the very limited charge resurrection staves though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nickoten posted:

I rarely sperg out about games when it comes to playing efficiently, but I always reset for Fire Emblem, so I can't really shake the feeling that the games encourage this type of play. I think that it's better to offer an alternative to players who would normally walk away in that scenario you described, though. It's not like it would take away from us doing a no-death approach.
Yeah, it's called casual mode. Which does exactly what players had been asking for all this time. I think it's pretty refreshing that some devs actually listened to a lot of players and finally just implemented the simplest solution with absolutely no catches.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Philip Rivers posted:

I dunno if I really have a good reason, to be honest. I guess I would chalk it up to 7 feeling like a more cohesive package in terms of story, characters, and mechanics. 8 was a little all over the place for me with the changes from 7, and 9/10 seemed kinda bland for whatever reason - maybe the unimpressive 3D fights. I'm cool with additional mechanics so long as they feel like well thought out and integrated parts of the game, but not so much as if they're just there as additional material for no apparent reason.

I also played and enjoyed 6 until it got too difficult for me. I am terrible at Fire Emblem games.
I have a feeling that if you disliked 8, you probably won't like this one much. FE13 comes across to me as something like 8's world map approach, and taking their little class experiment in 11/12 and fixing a lot of the problems with that.

Either way you look at it though, if you haven't played 11/12, then 13 is going to feel like a pretty wild departure with its class and doubling system. If you disliked 8 because of all of its changes (which is what, the overworld map and the double split), then I'd probably fear for you if you have to buy the 3DS as well.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I feel like I'm going to have to play on lunatic or something right off the bat to get any challenge, with how broken some of these setups sound.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mr. Trampoline posted:

With Amazon back-ordered, I'm not sure if I want a hard copy, or to download it the instant it hits the eShop and always have it on my 3DS. The eShop is sounding awfully tempting at this point, though.
Honestly not sure why you'd want a hard copy of a game if you're not getting the collector's box?

I've been ignoring these backorder details, simply focusing on getting a good bargain on a new 3ds XL. I plan on just getting the game off the eShop but haven't experienced myself. Is there some bad mojo regarding the eshop (e.g., is it not hitting the eshop on launch day?)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

yellowcar posted:

Purchases for the 3DS done in the eShop is linked to your specific 3DS. So if you were to say, break your 3DS beyond repair, those purchases are gone for good. So if/when Nintendo does the smart thing and updates the 3DS to use Nintendo Network accounts like the WiiU, I'm weary of buying digital copies of games from Nintendo if not for that little liability.

I'm also spoiled by PSN in that I don't have to pay taxes on purchases.
Urgh, thanks for reminding me why I hate the 3ds as a platform so much.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Half my regular force is like 10 levels ahead of the other half cause the other half just pairs up and serves as stat sticks. Do you get to field more than 10'ish units later on?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Flame112 posted:

I dunno about the force limits, but you can switch who's in the lead so you balance out the XP more.
Yes but there's really no point unless you need something in particular (or just find it fun).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Your selection of advanced classes is locked into whatever your current class is right? So if I reclass a mercenary to a knight (I don't know if anyone can do this, I'm just using it as an example), my advanced classes will be locked into the knight path?

Is there an exception to this rule in regards to the avatar or is it possible to miss Grandmaster until you reclass back to Tactician?

vvv then I guess the smarter thing to do would be to go Tactician -> Grandmaster and then start reclassing. Thanks.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 7, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SC Bracer posted:

I think the most "efficient" grindy method for getting skills is basically to get to level 10 in as many base classes as you want/can, and then move on to promoted classes, while never going back to the base ones. I mean, I did that for the kids after I got the hang of the process, and even Brady became a monster post getting his parent and S-rank supports.
Yeah, it's not at all immediately obvious that once you hit 10 in a promoted class, you can reclass into a new promoted class. At least I think you can!

Honestly it's pretty annoying to play this game without at least looking at the skill page at Serenes at least once to see if it's worth spending any time at all in a base class.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Relatively quickly? You have to go through at least 20 base levels before you can actually bump it off, more realistically 10 base and 15 advanced probably. Well, maybe with a skill manual. Are there skill manuals?

Does Underdog use your current level or internal level? [e]This is a dumb question when I sit here and think about it for more than 2 seconds.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 7, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Terper posted:

Apperantly, Giant Bomb's idea of a Quick Look for this game include major spoilers. So yeah, do NOT check that, or even the main page, unless you're a good bit into the game.
You can figure that one out yourself in the first 2 hours of the game (tutorial included) if you are not wearing blinders/read the dialog. People say the voice gives it away but the dialog does just as well. The game even makes fun of Chrom (or the player) for not realizing it sooner.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

I did 3 playthroughs but each playthrough was around 20 hours and I spent so much time on it because I travel on public transportation a lot and thus have spare time with literally nothing else to do.

I'll probably do more once the DLC is out. :allears:
This game feels so much more replay friendly too. I'm probably going to hoover up all the DLC just to keep adding to it as my one stop shop for Fire Emblem.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Alkydere posted:

It really is. Between the standard FE random levels, the absolute glut of people it gives you, the DLCs or risen for if you want to do some grinding, to the absolutely random shiny spots on the maps there's definitely lots of re-playability available in the game.
For me, it's mostly a byproduct of all the content they finally put in. It just feels a lot more open than any previous FE game and a lot is pretty optional and all of the optional things are not carbon copies of each other or recycles of the maps (except the risen stuff). I've actually got a taste for the Risen battles since they don't play like plot missions - everything aggro'ed right from the start has its own fun.

And I'll keep playing the DLC stuff as long as they keep re-using the classic bit-remixes of the games they're reproducing. That Fire Emblem 1 theme, and the battle theme! :allears:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is the duel team stuff basically local co-op with a second 3ds? There's no matchmaking service or a way to fight them by myself?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

I tried to recruit Jaffar. Henry abusing Nosferatu was managing to survive all the ridiculously quick Assassins.

Then Jaffar decided to pop lethality. :smith:

EDIT: Haha, Nino's team is just her a Hero, a Swordmaster, and an Assassin.
How are you seeing all of the new teams so fast? Aren't they on a 24 hour lockout for each character?

Oh I saw your previous post. Since they already put the FE7 teams as ended you can summon whoever you want? Neat.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

404GoonNotFound posted:

And the FE7 stuff is there for those of us still waiting on Gamestop, right? Good to know.

(Oh god why isn't it tomorrow afternoon yet)
Spotpass teams should never go away. All you need to worry about missing is getting the Marth map for free.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

404GoonNotFound posted:

So the only randomly spawning teams on the map are from the current week's content, but the previous content is still there, but only if you pay gold for them at a merchant?

What about the item packs from the Japanese schedule, any idea what the situation is gonna be like regarding those?
I don't have my 3ds in front of me but I'm pretty sure you can summon the teams from the previous sets for free. You can pay them gold to join you right there, or just fight them. If you want to then use a snapshot of the characters on a different playthrough or whatever, then you pay gold through the logbook (much like the compendium in Persona/SMT games) to resummon them.

Also I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure the spawning teams are not random for the new sets. My friends and myself all had Matthew this past Tuesday.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Really wish one of the children wasn't forced so early. Having to power level my Avatar to 15 to get the Grandmaster skill is kind of annoying.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

BlondRobin posted:

If you're inheriting something from the Tactician class, you could just have the kid reclass into it later and pick it up themselves. Kids get full class access from their parents... which means all kids of the Avatar have full class access to every class in the game (save possibly lord), including Tactician/Grandmaster.
That sounds like even more work! Haha.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is the Troub/Valk line pretty lovely? I was thinking of reclassing my Lissa to Troub out of boredom due to lack of master seals, and the fact I like my current sage/war clerics but utterly despise Marabelle (who leveled like poo poo anyway).

However, the skill line doesn't look very impressive. +10 avoid to males is all right but it's the +support skill that has me wondering if it's worth the stretch.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

UmbreonMessiah posted:

So am I like, the only person here who's played 4 Fire Emblem games who keeps getting his face stomped in on Hard Mode? I refused to play Normal because it said it was for beginners, but even with my units Paired Up I'm getting relentlessly hammered. One iota of imperfection and one of my units dies (not to mention all the 3% crits I've eaten). Is it just me? :smith:
The game lets up around scenario 8'ish. All you really need is one or two units to get lucky, or use Donnie.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

UmbreonMessiah posted:

This is an understatement. I cannot even accomplish Donnel's chapter. I did it once, but the AI really must be programmed to hate the player. I tried to feed Donnel the last kill so he would level and instead of going after the defenseless pegasus knight, the boss suicided himself on my Tactician :smithicide:

I'm really at a loss to explain how they managed to make the "real" game so mind bogglingly hard. Normal mode is absolutely pathetic, but the mode for veterans of the series makes me want to chuck my 3DS against a wall? :iiam:
Sounds like you're just out of practice. Donnel's chapter is mostly an exercise in proper bottlenecks. If people are dying in the bottlenecks then do better pair-ups. Lean on Fred and your two Cavaliers for pair-ups at this point in the game.

Don't get too frustrated, or you're really going to hate life when you hit the mountain pass. Maybe consider casual at this point in the game. Honestly even on hard, it becomes a "don't fall asleep at the wheel" difficulty after the first few chapters so I don't really see much point to classic if you want to just play the game. I quickly forgot about challenge and just found fun in building fun characters and exploring dialog.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is eugenics min-max'ing really required for lunatic? It seems almost impossible to screw up children, and the min-max'ed gains really don't seem all that great to me unless you are really bending over backwards to get the right set of skills.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've honestly found Hard pretty easy so far. Nothing like Radiant Dawn Normal. My Unit was a level 1 Grandmaster by chapter 5 :v:
Yeah basically as soon as you get one power couple the game kind of folds if you keep choosing to abuse it. It's kind of a weird curve since the game feels inadvertently harder in some cases if you deploy everyone, whereas a power duo can pretty much solo maps.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

cheetah7071 posted:

It's not even useful. They start too low level to be usable in any pairing.
That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me in a game with infinitely playable DLC maps.

Maybe I just need to play there myself to see what's up. Basically I just don't want to micro manage who I pair up in lunatic cause I still want to explore various other support dialogs without going out of my way, unless I get some horrific RNG screwage on a character.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah they kind of missed basic class design 101 when it came to nosferatu. Oh well!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Donny feels almost like cheating.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Speaking of Sumia, why does she have so little S Supports unlike the rest of the cast? Mine RNG'ed fantastically but I have nobody to really pair her up with since I put the avatar with Chrom and everyone else is claimed.

I do have Henry but I never bothered with him. I guess I could try.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WrightOfWay posted:

Plus you need to spend forever dancing just to get a Lucina that isn't complete trash.
I literally just did this in 20 minutes? Middlish strength, lower defense, great in skill/spd. I benched Lon'qu forever after that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It stays pretty easy, although to be honest, I still reset from time to time cause I fall asleep and an archer snipes someone or a hero doubles someone with a forged silver axe.

The paralogues are always semi challenging if you do them at an appropriate level and choose not to solo them with whatever super pair up you have.

My next hard playthrough I'll probably just not use the pair up system and see how it goes. The bonus stats from pair-up, and probably Donny, are primarily what seem to be breaking the game wide open for most of the main game, unless you intentionally just reclass/grind.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hobo Siege posted:

You should wait 'til 20 or you'll be boning yourself out of 10 levels.
No you're not. The levels come easier in a base class so feel free to keep gaining a few extra levels if you want them, but master sealing as soon as you get your second class doesn't mean you miss out on levels. You can repeat the process however many times you want, when you want.

Honestly just promote as soon as you have your second skill and never look back. The game is way more fun when you're not putzing around in a base class at the start of the game.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 10, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

cheetah7071 posted:

Excuse me, but Tiki is the master of snoozefest dialogue.
I have no idea why Tiki or Say'ri were created as joinable characters.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've noticed my reset count going sky high ever since I decided to actually use Chrom for fighting instead of back line supporting. He's such a lovely front line Lord.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zore posted:

MWhat? Chrom is a fantastic unit. He's easily one of my best first gen characters, and with the exceptional of Kellam the sturdiest by far.
He has slightly better than average growths in Lord/Great Lord, except for kind of sucking at defense but excelling at luck. Coulped with his middling base stats, he's only slightly better than Sully. The 45% defense growth in particular has pretty much made him a risky gamble to field in front of a pair-up that doesn't boost his defense. Dracoshields also seem to be the most elusive stat up items for me too.

He has the potential to be good, don't get me wrong, but he's pretty fragile even with aether.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It definitely triggers on counter attacks too.

Artix74 posted:

Okay, so I just got a Master Seal from a travelling merchant, and got the Second Seal from the Renown rewards. Kellam, Chrom, and my Avatar are all at or around L15, so I really want to get some reclassing done soon, but those are my only seals (I just finished Chapter 7). Kellam's options look awful for a Knight (though I guess Thief might work to get him some extra speed, even if it would put Gaius out of a job temporarily), as do Chrom's. I'm thinking to just promote Chrom once he hits 20, and toss Kellam my next Master Seal while I reclass the Avatar around a bit. I have absolutely no idea what to make him, though. Too many choices, and I hear Second Seals are kind of rare until a lot later in the game, so I don't want to put him in a class with useless skills. :ohdear:
Characters are normally in the 14-18 band when master seals hit the shops. If you want to keep people on an level playing field, you can aim for that level. I like using early master seals on staff users simply because they pull experience out of thin air.

Silver seals really aren't that late game though so just have fun with it.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 11, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WrightOfWay posted:

Plus, this game more than any other in the series revolves around having two or three super units just due to every map being a route or defeat boss objective and how broken pair up and nosferatu are.
I think it's more the fact that the game really tries to swarm the poo poo out of you as its main source of difficulty.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

cheetah7071 posted:

Those two are the boring kind of difficulty, they're just full of enemies with high numbers. Inigo's, Gerome's, and Brady's are the interesting kind of difficult if you want all the loot.
I don't remember any chests on Inigo's stage? Did I blank out and miss something? It's just a hold that you proceed through right to left, surrounded by a lot of fliers and a weak boss outside the hold to the west.

It's a fairly interesting map thanks to all those assassins with forged weapons, but that was about it. Nah's chapter annoyed me more thanks to Waste/Ruin. My most recent lunatic attempt on it ended on the last two enemies standing and one of them pulled a Ruin crit at 8% chance to hit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Serious Frolicking posted:

Promoting at 10 can work for children with trained parents. Otherwise, second seal at 10 or master seal at 20ish. If dealing with a horribly rng-screwed character you are determined to keep using, take them through basic classes however many times it takes for them to stop sucking before promoting. The supply of second seals kind of puts a damper on doing this to excess, which limits your ability to grind up a god character aside from Donny for the first half of the game.
I think the real beauty of this game is that everyone has a pretty different opinion on when to promote because everyone's goal/needs are pretty different from player to player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't remember. There was at least one stat booster in there, and I think a fortify? He only needs the finishing blow, so it's not too impossible on normal at least. I haven't attempted that chapter on hard mode since grinding supports is a losing proposition there with expensive reeking boxes (and of course on lunatic you should just give the items up as a lost cause).
Out of curiosity, are you limiting yourself from the DLC/Spotpass stuff?

• Locked thread