Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

If you wanna play the Smash Brothers dream team and have Marth and Roy back to back, cool, here's Marth and Roy. If you don't, then you've only missed out on having Marth and Roy. Which you obviously don't want.

Aren't a bunch of the DLC characters included as part of the Spotpass roster, anyway? Like, you can still get versions of dudes like Marth or Ike or whoever for free that are different to the ones you can pay for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, no demo for PAL-land (yet).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, as much as there's talk about Nintendo going all out in advertisement for this (and it is getting fairly wide, the new GameInformer apparently has four solid pages of ads for FE:A), I'm still amused by the fact that the official website for FE:A is still this and that there's zero mention of Awakening, or even Shadow Dragon, on https://www.fire-emblem.com when we're a hair over two weeks out from this thing. Did they just not bother having the web team do anything for it? Like not even bother converting the Japanese site over?

The nintendo.com address used to be a Shadow Dragon site, but in the last couple weeks they just deleted everything and replaced it with the Awakening site. I noticed when I went looking around for the Sakurai Asks interview that was on there and had to dig it up in google cache.

I'm thinking they haven't even remembered they own that other one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RuBisCO posted:

Is perma-death still just as perma-deathy in the DLC/streetpass battles? I would assume so, but if anyone has confirmation.

It is, yes. You can just pay gold to recruit Streetpass/Spotpass characters if you don't want to risk losing any units in a skirmish.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Probably not, Amazon stopped stocking 3DS hardware for whatever reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

No, the most important thing of all is the fact they can inherit good growths from Donny, which leads to things like Nn with a 98 Str growth.

Oh man, I forgot all about that character. Is "Nn" the official localisation or is their name still "n_n" or whatever the gently caress?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

yellowcar posted:

So like Capcom, they've ran out of ideas and just went all "gently caress it, do a cross-over game. that makes money right?".

Iwata's (paraphrased) explanation was that, as game development grows in scale, they're increasingly looking to work with external partners in order to provide a steady stream of new games, and this was one of those instances.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

yellowcar posted:

I'm also spoiled by PSN in that I don't have to pay taxes on purchases.

You can just set your state to one that doesn't have the sales tax or whatever in the region settings and you won't be charged extra.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

8,577 blocks.

In real terms this is around 1.5GB, by the way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DrManiac posted:

If Nintendo breaks the street date for the US I would totally cancel my amazon order and use their lovely eshop.

Nintendo wouldn't be the one breaking the street date, if indeed there is a street date, so the eShop version isn't gonna arrive any earlier or later than previously announced.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know when Nintendo updates their store? It would be neat if I could start downloading before I left for work.

Retail releases go up at midnight.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

boxcarhobo posted:

Midnight in your local timezone? Or like PST or EST?

PST, sorry.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads-up for compulsive resetters: L+R+Start functions as a quick reset, you don't have to manually close/restart via the home menu or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Francis posted:

I like the conspiracy theory that they did it on purpose to force people to buy from the eShop and see the DLC better. :tinfoil:

People said the same thing about the new Animal Crossing game, which has now sold around 800k digital copies, so if they are understocking games in order to encourage digital sales it's working really well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Retail downloads go up at midnight.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes, it came out in Japan during the holidays and has already sold a million billion copies. It'll be out elsewhere at some unspecified point in the April-to-June quarter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Hyrule Historia book has been really successful, apparently, so maybe if you pester Nintendo/Dark Horse they'll bring over the official Awakening art book and you won't have to worry about the Gamestop pamphlet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I just which they announce the pricepoint of some of the DLC, so I can pre-load how much credit I need. I'll have $15 left over, and I think that's enough for the Demon Fighter/Bride class DLC and Drakengard Roy. :swoon:

The DLC prices look to be a direct conversion from the Japanese prices - that is to say, 250-yen DLC is $2.50, 400-yen DLC is $4, etc.

EDIT: okay maybe not?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 4, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Francis posted:

Except not, since Marth was 300 yen. Even if it was a direct conversion we'd be getting a slight discount thanks to the weak dollar, but as it is it looks like the prices will be cheaper than they were in Japan.

Oh, I didn't think to actually check it against the Japanese list, I just remembered that 250yen was the low end of the scale and assumed that;s how much the Marth DLC cost.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The "free DLC" thing only extends to Marth.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

cheetah7071 posted:

I really wish the 3DS had a download progress indicator that showed an actual number.

If you do a sleep mode download via "Download Later" (or whatever) you'll be able to see a proper percentage on the main menu.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

GaistHeidegger posted:

Hooray it's done downloading from the eShop, just fire it up an--

'An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again.'

Over and over again.

:gonk:

drat, that blows. Delete it and try redownloading, I guess.

Trouble the Cat posted:

So, there's one thing stopping me from just cracking and getting the digital download. What would happen if my 3DS broke, and like, my SD card got ruined/lost in the process? Would I need to buy the download all over again when I get a new system or is there some way of proving I already bought it so I can redownload it. I know it's not a problem with PC Digital Game purchases, but I'm still not clear on how this works with console game shops because I don't use them often. >>;

If your 3DS is lost or irreparably damaged then you're screwed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm glad the international version (or at least the NA version) is asking a more reasonable price for the DLC so far. Some of it seemed kinda lightweight and I probably wasn't gonna buy most of it at JP prices, but I'll probably end up buying all of it if they keep the prices low, keep doing bundles, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SC Bracer posted:

I was listening to the 8-4 podcast, where they talk for about ten minutes about Awakening. I think it's kind of neat that they're about as big fans of the game as anyone here. :3: I do wish they'd been able to talk a bit more about the actual localisation process itself, since I find that sort of chat hella interesting.

They did an interview with some IntSys dudes that'll be posted on the website soon, maybe they'll go into more detail there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Flameingblack posted:

Is there a reason to buy a hard copy of the game and not buy it from the 3DS store?

Some people are skittish about buying 3DS games digitally due to the fact that the 3DS doesn't have a proper account system, which means digital purchases are gone for good if you lose/irreparably break your 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Fire-Emblem-Awakening-725039.html

I'm not familiar enough with the NA version of the game to recognise how much has been dicked with, but Casual Mode has been renamed to "Newcomer Mode". It mentions the Avatar's default name as "Robin", too - is that the case in the NA version?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, okay. I wasn't sure about the default name, I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned anywhere.

Color Printer posted:

Yep, Robin is the default Avatar name in NA. A nice unisex name. They're probably going to keep Morgan's name, too, but I don't know how the European localization team does things.

Sometimes the European localisation is more-or-less the same, sometimes they completely rewrite/retranslate everything for no reason, rarely for the better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently Yosuke Kozaki is doing some sort of Q&A thing on Reddit soon? Does anyone have any info?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't NoE localizations have an option to switch between English and French and German and Italian and whatnot?

Every now and again they'll print different single-language versions of the game and distribute them in specific countries, but they only really do this when they can't afford to fit the entire EFIGS script on one cart. Awakening is, what, 1.6GB? That'd leave 'em with 400MB extra space to play with, which seems like more than enough space.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/news_2013b.html

Tonight at 9 PM EST, apparently. Wonder what questions people will field at him?

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say "yo what's with the feet?"

EDIT: oh, it's up

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1b2us7/i_am_yusuke_kozakicharacter_designer_for_no_more/

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 27, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That character poll NOA was doing has ended, by the way:

https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo3DS/app_162848913870953

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't believe someone just used Gearbox as an example of sensible development practices.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE hasn't said anything about the Marth DLC being free at launch like it was elsewhere, has it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE confirmed the same early-adopter DLC deal that NA got - Champions of Yore 1 (Marth) is free for a limited time, Champions of Yore bundle is discounted for a limited time.

Reggie also gave some info on NA sales - Awakening has sold around 240k in NA so far, with "over a third" of sales being digital. "Over half" of all players have purchased at least one item of DLC.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo UK dudes, apparently GAME has started selling digital versions of first-party 3DS/Wii U games, and they've got the digital version of Fire Emblem for £34.99:

http://www.game.co.uk/en/fire-emblem-awakening-202401?categoryIdentifier=428847

I can't vouch for the service, but I'd imagine they should be able to e-mail you the redemption code immediately after checkout.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tae posted:

That's what the 3DS update guy in the 3DS thread wrote.

The DLC isn't actually listed on the press release, so don't shoot me if it's inaccurate. Sometimes it's listed elsewhere in advance, other times (like now) it's basically just an educated guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I figure a lot of you probably saw this in the 3DS thread, but for those of you who didn't:

http://club2.nintendo.com/30/

NA dudes, if you register both Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei 4 with Club Nintendo by August 31 you'll be eligible for $30 eShop credit. That's enough to buy, what, half of the Awakening DLC?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If Nintendo was switched on they'd be doing eShop sales to correspond with each character reveal. Even just their usual modest discounts would be enough to trigger a crapload of impulse buys whenever character xyz shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm hearing rumours that Dark Horse is working on one of the Japanese FE books (Knights of Iris, maybe? I don't keep up with any of this stuff). Does anyone know anything more about this?

• Locked thread