Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

EGSunBro posted:

I cannot wait for this game, I bought a 3DS for it. Although I was still using my original DS so it was time for an upgrade anyway.

So, is spotpass essentially free DLC or what? I still haven't really caught on to 3DS lingo.

Spotpass is the free set, yes. Paid DLC is another beast.

It's been a long, long time since I've been this stoked for a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Eddain posted:

They really need to announce the bundle retailer(s) already.

For once, Canada comes out on top.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT66kLCNx8U

First 20 minutes of the game, if anyone is inclined.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I think one important distinction to make about Awakening's class change system is that each character can only class change into a limited set of classes based on their personality. For example, one character's gimmick is that he has an incredible lack of presence. He can class change into a thief.

edit: yeah well balls to her
vvvv

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 17, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Demo is up (Canada) go wild :supaburn:

edit: Classic version not available in demo version what the poo poo is this NoA.

edit2: aw shucks the character creator is completely gimped in the demo. Only default male is available.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 17, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I would love it if all level ups in the demo are amazing across the board.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Demo ends after Chapter 1.

Tried it out on Hard mode, looks pretty good in terms of difficulty balance, at least from what I gathered. Definitely couldn't blindly rush in and enemies actually rushed you instead of standing place until you entered their range.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Eddain posted:

Is there any sort of penalty to playing Casual? Is it like FE12 where the character becomes unusable for the rest of chapter and loses any level-ups they might've gotten? Does it affect their ending dialogue or your ending stats in any way?

There is no penalty (aside from the unit leaving for the rest of the match). The only thing that you'll miss out on are character specific death quotes, which, whatever.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 18, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Is perma-death still just as perma-deathy in the DLC/streetpass battles? I would assume so, but if anyone has confirmation.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It is, yes. You can just pay gold to recruit Streetpass/Spotpass characters if you don't want to risk losing any units in a skirmish.

This is excellent because I'm going to pack my streetpass team with nothing but Vantage, Wrath, and Lethality :shepface:

edit: Pass, Lightning Speed, also got all five Slayer skills on one character.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I went ahead and took a look at the skills list in the OP and drat, it seems like you can really make some devastating units with a little reclassing and some patience. The min/maxer in me is pleased.

Also, a question: does anyone know where to see decent pictures of all the various classes in the game? There's one in the OP for I think the Battle Cleric, but when I went to look on Serenes Forest they had small pictures in ovals and you couldn't see things as clearly.

Not a picture, but here is a class roll (character/class spoilers I suppose):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ_41CmPwRQ

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 19, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

On topic, if I for some reason chose the girl avatar, would there be a shoehorned love story between her and Chrom? If so I'll stick with the bromance.

Only if you choose to support those two. The Avatar can marry any character of the opposite gender.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Come on guys, the game isn't even out yet there should be no reason for dropping massive spoiler bombs.

edit: I absolutely love the battle scenes. They feel incredibly dynamic to me, especially once you get Dual Strikes going at a consistent rate.
(Especially if you stock both your dudes with Brave weapons and completely wail on the enemy with like 6(!!) attacks in a row :ssh:)
vvvv

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 19, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Zurai posted:

I hadn't thought about it til now, but does it work with staves?

It does not.

edit: In addition you can combine it with forged weapons with massive stats and go to town, forever.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

To just talk about how insanely stacked you can build your own team, here are some mechanics that I've spoiler'd in case no one cares:

The Pair Up system can make for some hilariously one-sided battles.

To give an example, let's say I have a female Avatar with +Spd/-Def at S-rank support with Chrom. Given an Assassin Avatar (designated A) and a Great Lord Chrom with Dual Support+ skill (designated B), Chrom has a ~93% of Dual Striking per round.

This means that in a single battle, if you can double, the attack order could go:

A1, B1, Enemy, A2, B2

However, given Brave weapons, both Avatar and Chrom can attack twice per round:

A1, B1, B2, A2, B3, B4, Enemy, A3, B5, B6, A4, B7, B8

With the fact that Armsthrift could feasibly allow a lot of classes to use Brave weapons all day, and forging can give a +5 Mt, and that each of Avatar's attacks can proc a skill (Astra :supaburn:), you can wail on the enemy for a good long time. This sort of ties in why I love the battle scenes so much, as your units can end up hopping all over the place proc'ing anything under the sun.

This is all just theory-crafting about nerdy video game poo poo though. In practice, forging weapons can get really pricey and grinding units to get Armsthrift is kind of really tedious.
That said, some of the tail-end DLC looks to be insane.

Endorph posted:

Question. If you give a character, Say, Aether and lethality, will it roll once for Aether activation and once for Lethality activation? Or will it only roll for one of the skills, or can you not have two Activation skills at once?

It will roll for both, in order of least likely to most. In the case of a 50 skill unit with Lethality (Skill/4)% and Aether (Skill/2)%, it would roll:

(1) Lethality: 50/4 = 12.5% chance of proc'ing.

On the 87.5% chance it doens't proc Lethality, it will roll for Aether:

(2) Aether: 0.875 * (0.50/2) = 21.875% chance of proc'ing.

So, in total, you'll have a 34.375% chance of activating something.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 19, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Terper posted:

Of course, poo poo like that can backfire if you're not careful. (DLC spoilers, I guess. Nothing big.)

This is what I love (about the later DLC in particular), is that despite how powerful you can build up your own guys, Fire Emblem will still be Fire Emblem and punch you in the dick.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

You can only have a total of 20 spotpass/DLC/streetpass characters with you at any given time, as well.

I really hope they upped the limit or something for the localization. 20 is way too low for how many characters you can recruit.

It isn't going to happen :(.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Also, how 'unique' are the spotpass character models? I doubt much at all but I hope they at least bothered making Oliver as tubby as he is in FE9/10.

I could tell you the answer to this but I'm not because it would make you sad.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Man is the leveling in the demo indicative of the actual game? Because I keep getting perfect or near-perfect levels.

Growth levels in this game are a lot higher than the usual Fire Emblems.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Y'all are lying about them growth rates

(courtesy of some poster on NeoGAF)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I have a good feeling about this one, guys. It's going to sell like hotcakes I can feel it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Silly question but dudes can also have eyepatches, right?

Negative.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait is this saying that hairstyles and faces are limited to body styles?

Yes, each gender has three body types (tall, medium, short) that come with different sets of hair and faces.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Man I started looking at the skills link in the OP again and suddenly I was planning out how I wanted to make a Female Avatar and turn her into a harbinger of flying magic destruction and how I could use Lightning Speed to score a kill and then use the second turn to Rainbow Cry buff the rest of my army. This game can't come out soon enough.

To pass the time, what Class/Skill combinations are people here looking to try with their Avatars? I think it'd be interesting to see how many go all Strength or all Magic, or who tries something more balanced.

I'm going to be rolling a +Spd/-Def glass cannon Assassin because :black101:.
She will have the lowest Def/Res score in the entire army so I'm pretty sure if someone even looks in her general direction she will crumple over and die.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

It's pointed out in the game, too. For fun, do sidequest 4 before sidequest 2.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

They are making up for Radiant Dawn in spades as this is the supportiest Fire Emblem by far.

Outside of a couple special exceptions, every male can basically support every female.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Arbitrary Coin posted:

You could also try getting mothers to pass it down to their male kids if you can grind that much before pairing shenanigans for more MURDER.

This is me, I am doing this.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 23, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Alacron posted:

Mara-chan :syoon:

Wow, that. That sure is a penis.

Resisting buying a WiiU is becoming more and more challening, but I just don't have money to blow :(.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Does Astra work like PoR where all the attacks only consume 1 weapon use, or is it like RD where each hit consumes a use? I also heard that each hit of Astra can miss, is this true? Can each hit crit too?

Astra only consumes one weapon use in this. Each hit of astra can crit, although inversely each hit of astra can also proc an enemy's Great Shield/Holy Shield skill. Additionally, if you proc a Dual Guard during an enemy's Astra, you will proc it for all five hits (making for some rather goofy animations).

I am unsure about whether each hit can miss individually or not.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Full site is up now, go have a look see at all the names.

Now where's my Fire Emblem streetpass puzzle, nintendo :argh:.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Walhart
Tiki
Say'ri

Some extra characters you can access by messing around with the url.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

One other important difference between Normal and Hard is that on Hard, enemy reinforcements will move the same turn they arrive.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Here's a brief "How to Eugenics" in case anyone just wants a quick cliff notes sort of deal on what to watch out for:

1) Stat Caps
Each character has their own individual set of stat cap modifiers. This is added to normal class stat caps, giving each character a little diversity in their portfolio.
For the kids, their stat cap modifiers are the sum of the father's and the mother's, +1
Father: +1 Str, -2 Mag, +0 Luk
Mother: 0 Str, +1 Mag, +1 Luk
Kid: +2 Str, +0 Mag, +2 Luk
Stat Cap modifiers for all the parents can be found here, courtesy of Serenes Forest (some character spoilers).

2) Class Sets
For the first generation, each character has a total of three base classes they are free to class change to at anytime, along with their respective advanced classes.
For the kids, they will inherit the class options of both their father and mother. There are a couple of caveats to this:
- Dancer and Lord classes cannot be inherited, but Manaketes, Taguels, and Villagers (Villagers to sons only) can.
- Gender-specific classes will be changed. For example, a father that would normally pass on the male-only fighter class to his son will pass on pegasus knight to his daughter, instead. This is actually character-specific as opposed to class-specific, as one father may have fighter --> pegasus knight while another may have fighter --> knight.
- Since the Avatar can swap to any class (again, excluding special classes and gender specific classes), so too can their kids.

3) Skills
Each parent will pass on their fifth and/or last slotted skill to their kid. This is decided as soon as you enter the sidequest that you recruit their respective kid from, so you have all the time in the world to grind up your skills before you start the mission**. The important note about this mechanic is that you can pass on skills that are normally tied to gender-specific to kids of the opposite gender. For example, women with access to Lightning Speed(!!) can pass on that skill to their sons, who normally would be unable to class change to pegasus knight and unlock it. This also applies to skills that are tied to special classes as well, (outside of DLC classes).

The real spergy part of it, is that some parents will pass on better classes to kids of the opposite gender than others. Here's a quick list of the important ones:
Gaius --> Will pass on pegasus knight (lightning speed) to daughters
Donnel --> Will pass on pegasus knight (lightning speed) to daughters
Vaike --> Will pass on mercenary (armsthrift) to daughters

**There is one special exception to this, where there is a time-limit: While most other kids are recruited in sidequests that can be done at anytime, Chrom's kid will auto-join by Chapter 13.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 29, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can you adjust the order of your skills, or is that sort of thing fixed?

Yes, of course. You are free to swap around between any you have unlocked at any time.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I'm assuming you've played all the DLC? How are they? Would you say it's worth it to shell out for all of them?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

So there's some buzz going around that the street date has been broken in Toronto and EBGames might start selling/shipping copies a bit early (whether or not this applies only to the Toronto area is unclear).

Fair warning, my only source is GameFAQs.

edit: i am crossing all my fingers that this comes to vancouver.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9FWGJx69E

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

I'm 90% sure Female 2 and Female 3 are the same voice actor.

I had this exact same thought until a friend of mine called me an idiot.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/EBGamesCanada/status/296288264309051394

Gonna head to EB after class aaaaaaaaahhhhh :supaburn:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Hey Vancouver goons, ebgames just called to say I can pick up Fire Emblem today. Additionally a friend of mine got confirmation that his copy has shipped.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Just picked mine up in Surrey at Guildford mall. Bonus: Didn't get shot!

Looks like they had about 10 copies shelved with 10 books. I'm so proud right now :canada:.

• Locked thread