Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I dunno if its really fair to say Manaketes have been unseen since Fire Emblem 8 when we had Tiki and Bantu in FE11 and FE12. And Dragon Laguz in 9 and 10.

Besides that, really solid OP. You may want to drop in a mention that classes have lost their inherent bonuses, like the Swordmaster/Berserker crit bonus, in the new skill system.

Oh, and detail more how the new Support system works with the bonuses. Like infinite A supports, how almost everyone can support with the entire opposite sex + 2 token same sex people, the Avatar can support with literally everyone etc.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think I'm the only one not really looking forward to recruiting DLC characters.

The missions and rewards? Hell yeah. But, I'd rather use the actual cast instead of a bunch of people with almost universally terrible art styles, generic Avatar models and no supports or interaction.

I dunno, I just feel like the novelty of having 'Lyn' or 'Ephraim' on my team would wear thin when they're just a silent version of an Avatar I could have constructed. And they have a horrifically bad portrait (with one or two exceptions).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Man I still need to finish 12. I got turned off by the stupid map design since I was sick of dragging Marth all around the map.

Important question - I hate reclassing. Can I completely ignore it in Awakening without seriously hindering myself?

Reclassing is very different than it was in 11 or 12 and this time around its both better integrated and more necessary.

First gen characters are only going to get four skills if you level and promote them, and they're probably not going to do so hot stat-wise if you're going for the optional difficult DLC content, or higher difficulties. Skills are incredibly important and are going to require class switching if you want to mix and match the best ones.

The game should be totally beatable on normal and maybe hard though even if you completely ignore it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aren't a bunch of the DLC characters included as part of the Spotpass roster, anyway? Like, you can still get versions of dudes like Marth or Ike or whoever for free that are different to the ones you can pay for?

All of them are available through spotpass too, along with 108 other characters (120 total) made up of teams of the ten most popular characters enemy and ally from every previous Fire Emblem.

Hell, including a character that you recruit in-game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nakar posted:

My understanding is the anti-grinding features are not in Normal or Hard at all. However, you do earn less experience in Hard for various things (healing for example).

Additionally my understanding is that the hidden "internal level" cap from reclassing is higher for higher difficulties, meaning the absolute minimum experience you can get is potentially higher on Normal. That said, you apparently can't get less than 8 exp for a kill, which can be doubled with Paragon, so it's not unbearable to grind characters to max stats.

Lunatic intentionally tries to discourage this, but DLC can get around it.

The Lunatic measures are pretty rough; 1 EXP from Spotpass teams, Scent boxes (trigger random encounters and cost 500 g) cost 4800 g, regular random encounters in Chapter 3 have enemies with stats in the 20s and forged weapons, internal levels tracked goes from 20->70 and enemies are just nastier all around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Assassins are now a better combat class than Swordmasters, in terms of better caps. Once you've learned Sword Expert, there really isn't any reason to keep someone as a Swordmaster.

Sort of a reversal of Fire Emblem 8.

Plus Thieves get Movement +1 as a skill which is pretty nuts.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 19, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Huh, really? Guess I was misinformed then, my bad.

EDIT: Also, how 'unique' are the spotpass character models? I doubt much at all but I hope they at least bothered making Oliver as tubby as he is in FE9/10.

Literally all of them are built with the same options as you use to build your Avatar.

Odds are pretty good that a good 20+ old characters are going to be dead ringers for whatever Avatar you build except for maybe the hair color.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

How do you even get the Black Knight out of those options, then?

You don't. You get a mild likeness of (spoilers for FE10) Zelgius.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

theshim posted:

Chrom got a 1 for me and I wholeheartedly agreed with his "Well, that was underwhelming..."

Just beat the demo on Lunatic. Honestly my biggest worry with the higher difficulties lies simply in one question - how the hell am I supposed to get people experience? Chrom managed a couple levels, as did Lissa, and Frederick got one, but Avatar couldn't get much at all, and screw trying to level the other two doofi that roll in. This game's gonna be brutal on higher difficulties, isn't it? :(

Wait, how did your Avatar not gain any levels? They get 1.5X exp from being in double, and since you should always be doubling on Lunatic, and since they have one of the only 'safe' attacks you can make with their ranged magic, I don't get how you didn't get like 5ish levels on them. That was the only way I got through the chapters, and by that point my Avatar had mostly superior stats to Frederick which helped a ton.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Not quiet to that level. There's actually quite a few cases where there are noticeable absences from each character's list and several characters who basically have very small numbers of available supports.

The vast majority of the cast has 12 or more supports, which is more than double the average amount from FE7-9. There are only seven non-DLC characters that have less than that, and they range between 2 and 10.

Same sex supports are slightly limited, with most people only having 1-6 total (depending on the Avatar's gender).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

What are some incredibly silly and overpowered class builds?

If you spend roughly one hundred levels you can grab Axe/Sword/Lance/Bow/Tome slayer which gives you +50 hit and dodge against those weapon types then prance around as the world's dodgiest General or anything you want really.

Or be a flying class with Carrier, move +1, pass and the boots and have the ability to move 13 squares and through enemies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Veev posted:

Can you still send people streetpass teams in the post-game?

Yeah, the post-game isn't really post. After you beat the game, it just kicks you back to before the final boss and the only things you have left to do are any sidequests you haven't completed and DLC including street/spotpass.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

So okay, Awakening people

Lets say I have Cordelia as a waifu and I get her to learn Lightning Speed and My Unit learns Quick Slash from Demon Fighter. Can I pass those skills, one from each parent, onto the kid?

You can't pass on DLC skills. Female characters can never have Quick Slash.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Francis posted:

Of course, all the kids are basically Est/Nino/Whatever so they're all kind of dead weight regardless.

Not really, they come at level 10 with high inherited stats from their parents, c ranks in their weapons and with four skills halfway through the game. You can promote all of them immediately and have them start wrecking faces, or change seal them etc.

And unlike Est/Nino their growths tend to be slightly worse than their parents (though more well rounded). Its just their stat caps which can be significantly higher.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 27, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I thought stat caps were determined by your class?

Everyone has personal modifiers on top of that now too. For instance a +MAG -DEF Avatar has +4. to magic, +2 to speed, +1 to resistance, -3 to defense and -1 to luck caps. Most other characters have less dramatic caps.... except for children who inherit the sum of their parents caps +1 in every stat. Pairing that Avatar with Tharja will give their children +8 to their magic cap, among other things. Certain pairings with the Avatar can get ridiculous bonuses.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

KoB posted:

How do skills work exactly? Can I just earn as many skills as I want then equip the ones I want when applicable? Or do you only get a max of 5 at any time?

You can learn as many as you like then swap them around as you please. The only limit is that only 5 can be active at once and the one in the last slot of those 5 is inherited by any children the character might have when the time comes with the exception of Chrom who always passes down Aether or Royal Weapon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Alacron posted:

I'm guessing that it would mostly just be Chrom going, "What's that Avatar? Lissa fell down a well!?"

Essentially, yeah. It goes from,

"Who are you?"

"I don't remember my name."

to

"What's that? You don't remember your name you say?"

Also supports become ridiculous.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I've only just got to content outside the demo, and I got to say, Fredrick owns. Best Jeigan ever.

e: How does support build up? Is it GBA style stand next to each other forever, or PoR style deploy both units?

Neither, they have to participate in battles near each other either by Doubling, or standing next to each other, or healing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
And S supports are just 'Will you marry me?' in support form so you really aren't missing out on much.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

JackDarko posted:

This is extremely important to me. Does reclassing in this game change my character's 3d model?

Yes, everyone keeps their own head model but the body will change to the class' body. So all Great Knights will be wearing armor, and riding horses, very similar to Frederick's etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, I was thinking of making my Avatar +Magic and -HP, I was debating speed, but I'm sure I'd want my guy to cover more ground, and since I'm planning for her to be a mage she'll be attacking from afar most of the time anyhow. How much of a difference does it make in the long run, and should I consider taking a negative in another stat?

Speed is Fire Emblem's Uber-stat as it is the primary factor in your unit's ability to damage enemies, through double attacking, and their ability to dodge/prevent enemies from double attacking them. Picking Magic as your best stat actually adds to your Speed and Resistance as well as your magic, by about half as much. If you want to totally focus on magical attacks, taking Strength as your worst stat might be better than tanking your defensive stuff. Luck is also the least penalizing overall because it spreads the negavitves over a variety of stats instead of concentrating them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

I was told it's better to hold off longer on reclassing, at least early on, because class change items are expensive. If you don't do the extra grinding you wont have the extra money to keep up. That apparently changes lategame though.

It also matters if you want to pass on anything specifically to the children characters and still have them usable. Their recruitment opens up about halfway through the game, but if you don't get Galeforce until the end of the game then they're pretty useless coming in at level 10 unpromoted with two chapters left to go and the difficult optional DLC months away.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

The only repeatable "maps" is the Tower that will unlock later in the game. It's basically a dungeon with 4 floors or so that fully unlocks about chapter 16 IIRC. It's the only FE that you can grind freely without using money or an arena.

Any Skirmish that spawns on the world will let you replay the map with monsters instead of whatever was there originally too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

How long do sidequests remain open?

Until you finish them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

I'm sure someone asked this earlier, but I'm still waffling about what flaw to pick, and I'm wondering if a low resistance growth is a good idea. I like the idea of +Res/-Luck because it's pretty balanced looking, but the slightly more lopsided +Luck/-HP also looks pretty strong except for the low def and res growths. Is a res growth of 25% just asking to get stomped by mages and staff assholes?

There are no status inducing staves in Awakening, and the only seige tome is a really rare dark tome. And all bad growths can be worked around wiyh reclassing, especially with your Avatar. 5% here or there really isn't going to kill you. The bigger concerns should be for your starting stats and caps which will make a bigger difference than a few percentage of growths you can manipulate in other ways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hobo Siege posted:

I'm hoping for something roughly as difficult as Fire Emblem 7. Is that gonna be hard mode?

Depends. Normal is roughly FE8 Hard mode or Hector Normal, Lunatic is harder than anything in the GBA Fire Emblems and Hard swings a little between the two depending on how well you understand all the new mechanics.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

WhiffleballDude posted:

Is that taking into account the ability to grind or not? Because I've found that FE8 Hard Mode can actually be kind of brutal in spots if you avoid the Tower completely. There are a lot of units in FE8 who start out squishy and only a couple that come pre-loaded for rear end kicking, like Joshua and Gerik.

You can grind in FE13 too, especially in Normal. It has a better difficulty curve if you ignore the skirmishes/spotpass/DLC too especially since there are about fifty chapters if you include all the sidequests and they don't ever throw anyone as helpless as Ewan at you two thirds of the way through the game. So pretty much everyone is viable. But they don't throw enemies with like five speed at you in the second to last chapter so it evens out

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 1, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Fisher King posted:

I don't know what your Gerik is smoking but...

Since you're playing it on a Vita are you sure you're not playing a romhack/illegitimate dump? Gerik cannot have those stats in a regular copy of the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Dear lord that sounds hilarious. Serenes says that hes liable to ram into his caps harder than...I can't think of anything appropriate. Still funny.

Yeah, Donnel's only real issue is his classes. Villager is... terrible with awful caps and only one good skill. Fighter and Mercenary are good choices on their own, but their promotions overlap with Hero and neither gives any lance access so he's stuck with a lot of useless weapon EXP. Only having access to Warrior, Hero and Bow Knight kind of sucks when almost everyone else has double that to choose from or more.

Still he's pretty hilarious and his growth modifiers are insane.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Even if Donny were complete rear end, I could still see him being useful just for the facts that he can pass on Good Growths and that, since females don't get the Villager class, he passes on Pegasus Knight to his female children instead. That's pretty huge for reasons already discussed (Galestorm weeeeee).

Oh yeah, he's an amazing father for Nah, Noire or Kjelle. Especially since he passes Mercenary (Armsthrift!) as well as Pegasus Knight. He's just not as good overall as, say, Gaius who also passes Pegasus Knight and more Classes/Skills and better cap modifiers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Well ok then, luck it isn't! Does anything help crit rate, or is that fixed by class and weapon?

Also Fighter, Barbarians and Berserkers all get skills that will massively boost your crit rate. They're also male-exclusive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I think I'm going +Magic/-Def. Magic adds to speed and cancels out the resistance negatives and ending up in Sorcerer means defense will be higher than about half my other characters in the end. The beginning may be a bit rough, but I can't see a better negative that doesn't hurt mag/speed/skill.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ern Malley posted:

I got an email today saying my Best Buy preorder was ready, then I got another one about two hours later informing me no, it wasn't, we're sorry for the inconvenience. I'm guessing someone messed up somewhere and those emails just shouldn't have been sent out, and the 4th is still the date to go for. I'll be calling the store tomorrow to ask for clarification. :shrug:

They changed their policy so if they have the game in stock they'll sell it to you today, they just mostly won't be getting it in stock until monday. At least that was the case with my local store.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Green Bean posted:

Any mechanics experts know how multiple [Skill%] skills work on the same character? Say I get Astra and Sol on the same character; will Astra give me five chances to proc Sol, or can only one of them activate each attack? If it's the latter, are they 'rolled' separately (i.e. with 30 Skill, I'll proc one or the other 45% of the time)?

Each combat skill (Sol, Luna, Astra, Vengeance, Ignis, Lethality and Aether) has a mutually exclusive activation on each attack, but the game rolls for them in order from most likely to proc to least likely. So with 30 Skill and, say, Sol and Astra you have a 30% chance of Procing Sol. If it doesn't proc then you roll your 15% chance to Proc Astra.

Serenes has the order the skills are rolled in somewhere in the Awakening section or forums.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zurai posted:

It's the other way around, I think. Lowest activation rate is checked first, so basically Lethality -> Aether/Astra -> everything else.

Yeah, mixed it up in my head. It has to go lowest to highest or someone with Vengeance (Skill*2% chance of proc) would pretty much never hit any of the other skills.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Galeforce and make sure Chrom gets a daughter.

What?

Rightful King Lethality/Sol/Luna is way more useful than just Aether. At anything below 40 Skill, you activate Lethality more than you would Aether and you have a boosted chance of activating Sol and Luna as well.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 3, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

How long do I have until the whole kids thing happens, anyway? More specifically, what chapter is the cutoff date I need to have S-Rank conversations by? I really haven't been working much on supports at all-- been too focused on surviving. I've got My Unit and Stahl close to S-Rank but other than that I barely have anyone beyond C-Rank.

Chrom is the only one with a cutoff, at the end of Chapter 11 he'll be paired with the support partner he has the highest support level with regardless if they've even gotten to C rank.

No one else is ever cut off; the sidequests begin popping up after chapter 13, but you won't be able to get to some of them straight away unless you advance a few chapters or connect through other children sidequests. For instance, you need to have Cordelia and Sumia married off before you can reach Lissa's sidequest until you get to chapter 15 when you can reach it from the regular chapters.

Some minor spoilers if you want to see how the connections thing works for yourself.
World Map
Paralogue Requirements

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 3, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Boondock Saint posted:

It is currently on the eshop!

What?

The Demo's available, but the game isn't yet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Boneless Jogger posted:

I haven't played this game yet, but what sword were you using? If there's a Devil Sword in this game and you were using it, that's probably why. It sometimes inflicts damage back at you instead of killing the enemy.

You can see the Levin (magic) sword she's using.

I figure Counter is probably responsible? That looks like the enemy Warrior sprite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

I'd just like to go on record by saying Chapter 10 was fantastic. Neat map, amazing music, great story. I was enjoying the game up until that point but Chapter 10 just kinda blew me away.

The game was pretty challenging for a while on Hard but once I finally got a couple of promotes and leveled up a few more weaklings through DLC and challenges, it's definitely become a lot more manageable. Especially now that I finally understand all the intricacies of Pair Up. It's such a ridiculously good thing to do most of the time, I find. I would normally rarely ever use any mounted units in FE games because I typically found them to be relatively weak in exchange for more movement but being able to cart a Knight eight squares across the map and immediately attack with him is just so useful. This is the first time you'd ever see me playing FE with two Wyvern Knights, a Pegasus Knight, a Cavalier, and a Troubadour. Hell, when I first heard about re-classing I figured I would just go with as many Swordmasters and Berserkers as I possibly could because I'm a whore for innate crit bonuses but I can't bring myself to change half of my team away from being mounted units.

No class has innate crit bonuses this time around. Fighters, Barbarians amd Berserkers are the only ones who get skills to improve crit rate this time around and you can carry them to any class.

• Locked thread