Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Momomo posted:

The series is in an odd position for people dying, because while the plot takes into account everyone that can die (by simply not having them be relevant), people still feel attached to the characters just because they know about permadeath. I'm not really sure how you can balance out giving a "prize" for death and not feeling gimped by having all your guys alive, but they need to do something. I think Shadow Dragon had a good idea, but people seemed to take it the wrong way. The gaidens we not supposed to be the same as gaidens in other games, it was the game saying "Wow, you really don't know what you're doing, here's some weak guys to get some EXP on".

My main issue with the gaidens is that the character limit gets waaaayyyyyy too small later chapters, especially that one that dumps Midia and useless pals on you right before one. Sure you could just ignore them, but it really chafes to have to miss game content for not playing awfully enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

SpaceDrake posted:

The true Fire Emblem begins now. :q:

Also the chat about FeMC and Chrom is a little ironic to me, as while the FeMC actually has the lowest "priority" for Chrom's plot-mandated marriage, I've had at least one person tell me flat-out that, far from feeling "forced", FeMC+Chrom is practically the only way to go as it makes a good portion of the latter half of the story far, far more poignant. It's definitely what I plan to do.

It is very much not mandatory, however.

Yeah doing FeMc/Chrome really does seem like a sure way of making certain parts of the plot more special and darkly hilarious.

Snip, yeah probably still too early. Need to stop looking at game plots before they're released in the US

Arbitrary Coin fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 19, 2013

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing in the world is a Dark Flier with Aether. :allears:

Even better? By default any character with that class and access to that skill will also have access to Bowslayer.

:unsmigghh:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

The Timely Howard posted:

No matter how awful a name Dark Flier may be, you're still going to want to have lots of the units you use regularly become one at some point. At level 15 they learn a skill that allows them to take another turn after defeating an enemy unit (limit once per turn), which is just dirty as hell.

You could also try getting mothers to pass it down to their male kids if you can grind that much before pairing shenanigans for more MURDER.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Undead Unicorn posted:

Marvel VS Capcom was pretty dang good. As long as it has Hitler with the lance of Longious, evil YVWH, and Teddie hitting on all the Fire Emblem females while spouting bad bear puns it has potential.

YES. I need Teddie being fabulous all over the place like now please.

MASKED DUDE SPOILERS Can I dream about Persona characters making it in and Lucina and Naoto being crossdressing bros while I'm at it?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm pretty sure my skill-flawed Avatar could be clinically diagnosed as blind at this point, lv 11 or 12 with a 4 in skill. It's a good thing he gets an exp boost from pairing up because he isn't hitting poo poo otherwise. If only the character creator had a glasses option...

Yeah skill is most definitely not a dump stat in this game.

Also the game looks loving amazing and I really love what I've seen of the localization so far, including the supports. Tharja still sems like an awful, awful character though.

One thing that I do have a complaint about is how much fanservice, pandering there is in this game. It's been gone over before andFE as a series hardly has the best portrayal of female character I've seen but for all of Micaiah's faults she never seemed objectified.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Oh man, I am currently passing the time by weighing pros and cons of various parent combos for making children capable of the most asskicking. Monday cannot come fast enough.

Galeforce. Galeforce all day everyday.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Heavy neutrino posted:

Nope; the only one that comes to mind is that one character needs to gain one level in the map he joins in or he'll leave (you don't want him to leave, he's basically an unstoppable bio-weapon with a bit of babying), but the game explicitly tells you about it.
Ehhhh, I wouldn't quite call him that. He can pass down a good skill, but otherwise his class tree is kinda sub-par.

Also, I'm kinda relieved by how they'e tried making Nowi a little more mature in the translation. It'll make playing the game a little less cringe inducing and maybe I'll even consider getting Nah...

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

ImpAtom posted:

He gains access to both axe users and mercenary and can pass a daughter down Pegasus Knight. He is ridiculously good.

Well yeah, he's a great dad to a girl, but one of his three classes is "villager" which honestly sucks and everyone else who gets mercenary and axe users tends to have a mounted class too. Also the entire wasted lance rank thing rankles at me

Artix74 posted:

Called my local Gamestop, they said sometime between now and Friday, definitely not today. :negative: I'd cancel my order and just download the drat thing, but I'm getting the bundle, and I'm going to be pissed if I can't take that sexy new 3DS for a spin before Friday.
Same here, my local Gamestop says that inventory doesn't have anything yet and it'll start shipping tomorrow or Wednesday. Argggg as much as I want to just cancel and download from the e-store right now, I really want that bitchin 3DS

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Mordecai posted:

Just got my rear end kicked by Paralogue 17. Anyone done this yet on Hard? It's not the enemies, but the combination of bodyguard duty with nearly limitless waves of rear end in a top hat reinforcements.

I just couldn't keep up with 10 reinforcements spawning every turn. I think I may need to surround Tiki with my four best physical tanks, unpaired so that I can have the maximum number of paired units out killing the enemies with ranged weapons.

Someone mentioned how this map is essentially a defense map in disguise, you wipe everything out after x turns of defending from reinforcements

I personally think its pretty clever

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
So out of curiosity, what sort of pairings have you guys been doing? I think I'm going to go for

Chrom/Sumia (maybe Olivia?)
Henry/Olivia
MU/Tiki
Ricken/Nowi
Vaike/Cordelia
Gaius/Sully
Stahl/Panne
Virion/Cherche
Donnel/Tharja
Libra/Mariabelle?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

NEW Eccentric Girl posted:

I bought the bundle on Gamestop's site Monday night, just got an email saying it shipped.

If any of you are still hunting for it you might have to do the same, seems like a lot of places are only getting enough to cover preorders.

I've actually never played a Fire Emblem game before; I bought the bundle because I like the design and I'm anticipating Soul Hackers/SMT4. The more I read about Awakening, though, the more it seems like something I'd enjoy, so I'm pretty excited to try it out!

Same here, loving finally. I should get it Friday!

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

WrightOfWay posted:

I have no idea why Int Sys thought it was a good idea to give the class with access to a life stealing 1-2 range weapon arguably the best mixed defenses and a skill that increases damage dealt based on HP lost with a sky high activation rate. It's ridiculous.

This. Holy crap, Sorcerers are physically defensive and get access to Tome-breaker for more brokenness.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Zore posted:

The skills are pretty bad, but the class itself is awesome because mount+magic+staves are a pretty killer combination. In that sense its a bit like Assassin, its a good class to end up in after you grab some skills you want from other places.

But Assassin has awesome skills and good offensive stats?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
Arg, I'm going to get this game on Monday, but I still haven't figured out what couples I want to use. I have Cherche/Virion and Gaius/Panne based on support convos but I can't decide for the others and I know that Chrom/Henry are going with Sumia and Olivia but I don't know who to who yet

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Cake Attack posted:

Nah, there are a couple like that. Tharja proposes to Donnel for example. It's also pretty hilarious.

Also, Cordelia not having a support with Chrom, is like many things in Awakening, a callback. She's supposed to be like Catria from 1/3, who was in love with Marth, but never ends up with him. (Because a different Peg. Knight ends up marrying him, just like how Sumia is Chrom's "canon" wife.)

Ironically, there was some creators notes/sketches of Cordelia that indicated she was supposed to be Lucina's mom based on appearance and authors note

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Tae posted:

Somehow Gregor/Nowi is far more mature and understanding than Gregor/Panne. In fact, the latter may be the most childish marriage I have ever read.

Yeah, they've done surprisingly well with localizing Nowi. Honestly I get the feeling that Sumia is more infantile in some ways than she is with her entire "helpless innocent animal child" thing

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Strange Quark posted:

I took it as more severe self-esteem issues than helplessness though, and that trait definitely isn't limited to children.

True, but then again I've always been less fond of her anime archetype than the others

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Krumbsthumbs posted:

A dirty rule for the kids is in order of when you meet the mothers. It doesn't always work, but it is relatively close.

I paired Donny with Sully because of inertia more than anything else. I have yet to be disappointed with the resultant child being a Juggernaut chewing through enemy lines.

I ended up doing Vaike/Sully and the resulting Kjelle is now a tanky as hell Assassin who can fill up my coffers while Luna-ing everythingp

She was taking down knights with a bronze sword in her joining chapter.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
It's really struck me how gloriously messed up the kid characters seem to be.

Lets see, off the top of my head I can think of Mr fatalistic, loner, emotionally repressed Gerome, MUMMY ISSUES, insufferable, BPD Severa, Owain, willingly deluded Cynthia (I want to believe that the past is just like my epics and the world would be a great shining place if only there weren't zombies!), Noire, and "mongrel child" uptight Nah

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Ern Malley posted:

Yeah, life in an apocalyptic timeline made the second generation all crazy as heck.

Pairing them up is even more fun than their parents, cause you don't have to worry about how the kids will turn out! Owain, go out with Cynthia - you both like that heroic stuff. Brady, you should be seeing Noire, since you're both sickly people. Inigo, you flip out at your dad in an embarrassing way and get on all the women's nerves - marry Severa! Beautiful. Gerome, you can't be with anyone, you're too antisocial. Go hang out with Ricken on the bench for people never getting married.

Christ, no one deserves Severa.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
So I just finished the game and got to say that I liked the first act waaaayyyy better than the rest of it. There we have a family of nobles trying to make up for mistakes made in the past, despite the costs and hardships involved and the human tendency to lut for revenge, not to mention pretty cool, theatrical villain in Gangrel.

And then comes Varm, which I pretty much just plowed through without giving any shits. Like seriously game, who the gently caress cares about Yen'fay. He's lame, and the "blackmail" was lame and stupid. And we also have the curious FE4 "lets randomly invade and destroy the command structure of another nation! lolol" without the consequences that came with it (and Chrom and co are supposed to be the rulers of their nations instead of just random rear end lords at that) and the FE10 "lets burn huge amounts of people!" without any moral ambiguity that came from that scene.

Like ugggghhh. That whole continent was just kind of miserable.

Edit: added spoiler tags

Arbitrary Coin fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 21, 2013

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
Talking about great dialogue, Severa has slightly grown on me after reading her mom support and part of her Kjelle one

Severa-Kjelle C is essentially

S: Uggg, cover your self up when training, no one want to see--holy poo poo those are some mighty fine abs
K: The tickets to this gun show are free :smug:
S: What! I totally was not staring at your wonderful rock hard abs!

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Nakar posted:

Lucina is most certainly not normal. She's basically a nervous breakdown waiting to happen. She's a neurotic Chrom.

Agreed, she's definitely on a way to burnout and I kinda like Laurents support with her since he tries to get her to slow down and look after herself

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Zore posted:

Sumia is... weird in how the game treats her. She's basically the 'default' romance option for Chrom, especially since she demonstrates the pair up options with him and its hard to avoid gaining a bunch of support points with her without actively shunning her.

But Cynthia is absolutely nothing special and most of her fathers pass her nothing, or almost nothing, worthwhile. Kjelle is the one who gets special treatment among the kids, with her automatic four classes to start.

Also, Sumia's 'romantic' supports are weird as hell. Her supports with Frederick are all about him learning how she fucks up literally everything while he's being more serious and boring than usual. Her supports with Henry read like they're both in separate rooms having separate conversations with other people who were cut out of the scene. Her supports with Gaius are her loving up honey collection for three supports. And her supports with Chrom are just kinda generic.

I dunno, its like they wanted to make her a major character but then cut out about half of her potential for character development (supports) and then filled the rest with really generic stuff that doesn't reveal anything new or interesting about her and depend on her two or three decent story moment to carry everything. They just keep playing the 'She's clumsy folks!' joke into the goddamn ground. I mean, even most of the other fairly one note characters have some supports with more interesting things or depth to them; like Miriel and Gregor, or Cordelia and Kellam.

And I'm pretty sure Henry was added as a last minute 'Oh poo poo, Sumia only has 3-4 potential supports. What if people don't pair her with Chrom and marry other people off before they realize!' He comes at the perfect point in the story, when you finally see what getting an S rank support does, to be a last-ditch option for her if you married off/killed all her other options.

I'm not fond of her romantic supports, but Sully/Sumia is one of the best damned things and makes we wish we could have the two of them adopt kids to be the best asskickers ever.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

avlein posted:

Pretty much every Morgan (F) support is pure :allears: and :3: combined. Due to how absolutely hilarious Morgan acts around the other kids, with her relentless optimism and the callous way she treats everything.

:allears: Laurent, let's play Tome Stackers!

Morgan in general is just amazing. She/he manages to be a sweet, special kind of crazy in a cast full of nuts.

As for the ending I actually didn't like the "kill Grima" ending. Bringing the Avatar back was just way too cheap for my tastes. Having to sacrifice, make hard decisions and face consequences? Not in this game!

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
Out of curiosity does anyone know how Nowi exists? I'm pretty that Tiki being one of the last divine dragons was a pretty big thing in FE3. Did more spontaneously pop up in the meantime?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Bongo Bill posted:

Not all dragons are divine dragons.

She's aesthetically a match and (spoilers for an old game) all non divine dragons except for those who dropped their dragon properties lost sentience and became mad mindless beasts so that doesn't really fix the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, I should have made that more clear: why he invades you in Ferox instead of recently-defeated, friendless Plegia.

In addition to what everyone else said the plot kinda goes to poo poo after chapter 13 or so. See: Yen'fay and why should we give two fucks?

• Locked thread