Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Terper posted:

GOTY, all years. :gay:

Oh my sides ahahaaa his name's Hubba.

I'm so terribly hyped even for the demo tomorrow I don't know what to do. Thank god the full game releases after midterms at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I made a terrible mistake in getting the demo. Feb 4 is too far awaaaayyy

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The prologue on Lunatic's not that bad. At least, if you let Fred do most of the heavy liftng. Chapter 1 on the other hand is going end up with my 3ds on the wall at this rate STOP RUSHING ME YOU CORPSE-THINGS :negative:

e: VV I beat it by letting Fred kill all the myrmidons and the mage, since he can one-shot them even on Lunatic.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 18, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I do believe Olivia has lowest priority with him though. Unless it's the other way around; I could totally be wrong. Considering how the plot goes though, it makes sense that FeMC is the best choice plotwise though. Also optimal for Lunatic, or so I hear.

e: VV The most depressing thing possible. I like that character ughh.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

DrManiac posted:

Aww that was a pretty cool little thing in the last one.
VVVV

Everyone else freaking out whenever you picked a new look was the best part I think.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I wouldn't mind going on hibernation till the 4th really. I can literally beat Lunatic in my sleep right now in the demo, and it's stopped being exciting. :(

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
These are amazing, thank you. The FE4 commercial is still my absolute favourite though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9767sCU4zsI

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It has Basilio and Flavia, who are rather less walking stereotype than Devdan/Danved. They're also supposed to be really cool I believe.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Where did those localized old FE character names come from? I looked around a few pages back but I didn't see anything.

Zigludo and Serlis come from an amazing article on Nintendo Power. Serenes has it, as usual.

http://serenesforest.net/gallery/magazine.html

e: ^^ or that too, I guess.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It's almost merciful of IS really. I mean, sure their reinforcements exist just to gently caress you up but they did warn you! :suicide:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Iceclaw posted:

There is something I don't understand, though: Is it like in FE4, where there is a time gap between playing as parents and as children, and the parents don't fight with their kids for whatever reason? I'd prefer not to have the plot spoiled to me, though, I just would like to know how it works gameplay-wise.

The parents do fight alongside their children.

Well, I've been listening to the soundtrack (since I need to hype myself up even more) and I'm really hoping that the 92 track CD makes it over internationally because it's legitimately a wonderful thing. It feels quite different from the older OSTs, with vocal (uh chanting anyone?) bits, and an emphasis on strings.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMfvY1S-j67k

This is probably my favourite track so far. Polsy'd in the interest of not attracting spoilers, so seriously listen to it. :allears:

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 27, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is casual and classic a toggle-able thing or a one-time choice at the start? If it's something you only pick at the beginning I might just have to play on casual. I can't see myself playing Katarina's dlc with permanent death.

One-time thing.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Just the lack of bonuses/awesome bundle I think. I'm nowhere conveniently close to a GameStop so I'm going digital too.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
NY and CT seem to have the game too. Nintendo what are you doing!?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Terper posted:

Well, they changed the Character Recruitment theme to be more subdued and majestic, rather than HECK YEAH NEW PARTY MEMBERS. Whether or not that's good or not, well, that's up to you. It's called Crossroads.

I like it. :allears: Then again, I like this entire soundtrack.

Now all I need is the streetdate getting lifted on the eshop too aaaaaaaa

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Uh well, someone linked me a reddit post saying that the street date's been lifted, and GameStop will be selling as soon as they get their shipments. So it depends on the store now.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I'm friends with a dude working at gamestop, and he just explained the whole situation to me on facebook (for anyone not entirely sure what's happening).

quote:

mkay, so. FE:A was dated for Feb 4th on the gamestop computers
but this wasn't the "street date"
that date actually varies store to store
so certain stores will have the system and game before the 4th
and because there isn't a street date
the game can be sold upon delivery

its just that Nintendo didn't set an official sale date
if they had, it would have been either this past sunday or next sunday

So anyone getting it shipped from Gamestop is boned because that shipment date isn't going to be weirdly early. Everyone else- go hogwild.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Levantine posted:

Well drat, I checked my local gamestop and they had it but wouldn't sell it. Street date is back on I guess.

If you really want it now and now alone just have then look at their store informer; hopefully they'll sell. There isn't a street date of any kind.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/01/fire-emblem-awakening-review-3ds.html

This review is pretty amazing. I dunno, am I biased or is this just hating on the game for being a Fire Emblem game.

e: VV I know. I know. But you should still read it if only for the criticism that FE has a byzantine interface.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 31, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I have to say that I'm kind of in love with the localisation, and it makes me want to email Vincent about reworking the FE12 patch since it hardly compares.

Also Lucina is totally the coolest and I'm not entirely sure why I'm so sure of it but I am.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Mine's about a 3rd done too, though I'm mooching off my rather-valiant-tonight campus internet, it's like 12 bulbs a second whatever that is. I think it'll be done by 10ish PST. I'm so terribly excited right now how will I sleep :ohdear:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Is anyone having trouble downloading the DLC? I keep getting the same error code.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Kaidyn posted:

I have a question re: supports in general. Braindead question but I didn't see an answer milling through the pages. Is the only way to gain support levels in Awakening to actively do something with a person you can support (ex support them during an attack or defense; also healing) or is it still like the old games where pairs just standing next to each other gain support?

Yeah you need them to actively take actions either while paired or while adjacent to each other. Healers and dancers are a tad different in that they gain points only for whoever they act on. But if, say, Chrom kills a dude with Lissa next to him, they'll gain points regardless.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
He's infinitely more of a murderbeast if you give him a dragon :getin:

I can't quite describe how much fun this game is, seriously. It's wonderful. I've finally got the hang of using the reclass system too so I'm getting ready to make my army of insane war machines. Too bad the grinding dlc isn't out yet.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

TheQat posted:

So this is my first FE game (aside from like an hour of FE GBA that I played to decide whether I was interested in getting this one) and I have a few questions:

1) I'm pretty married to the idea of making it through the game on Hard/Classic and it's going okay for the most part, but I'm wondering what you're supposed to do if you seem to be chronically under-leveled. I'm on mission 5 and have done the DLC map (I'm assuming there's just one for now) and the Paralogue part 1, but I still have no level 7s and as you all probably know, mission 5 is full of level 7 dragon knight dudes.

I tried that mission probably ten times before realizing there was seemingly no way to finish it without losing 3-4 characters, and though that was before I did the paralogue/DLC I don't think it will have gotten much easier. So, any tips on keeping up with the difficulty curve of the game? Or any tips specific to mission 5, in case I'm missing some trick to it?

2) Why does no one have feet? :v:

3) There was a question 3, but I forgot, so I'll leave this as-is for now.

Uh for 1) I'd recommend picking your favorite badasses and making a small focused a-team that you can use for story missions and the harder paralogues. Also, levels don't matter as much as stats so as long as your team can match up in that department you're all good. That's one way of going at it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Never make skill a flaw. Never.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I have Maribelle and Libra spawning Brady. I suppose the personality isn't impossible but drat, poor kid got all the ugly genes in the family.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
This game has the most amazing fascination with pies. I swear half the supports involve them in some way.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I think the most "efficient" grindy method for getting skills is basically to get to level 10 in as many base classes as you want/can, and then move on to promoted classes, while never going back to the base ones. I mean, I did that for the kids after I got the hang of the process, and even Brady became a monster post getting his parent and S-rank supports.

e: I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the tougher spotpass and DLC map since right now, all I have is the penultimate map to train on for supports. It gets dull after a while.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 7, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Yeah, you can't use Chrom to pass down skills. It's all about grinding up the mother, in which case, one child will get screwed a little, unless you grind like a maniac.

e: Galeforce is absolutely a post-game skill. No way it's worth killing your stats for it, since the extra attack is useless if you die :colbert:

...There is one thing I find amusing about this game and the level up comments. I think the characters can tell the difference between an empty level when you haven't capped any stats, and an empty level when it's because you have no stats left to gain.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Yes it does cover that part too. It's quite streamlined, and the bundle means you're getting a pretty good overall discount.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Don't make skill a Flaw since a good deal of your skills will run off that stat. Though seriously I made a magic focused avatar and he still has a good enough strength growth that I can use swords just fine. I don't get it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Oraculum Animi posted:

So +magic -strength?

I'm doing that currently, and it's working quite well so far. Serenes has a drop down menu thing that lets you get an idea of the growths (though the NA version is supposedly different) so you could play with that.

If all else fails, +speed -luck. Madness.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I was listening to the 8-4 podcast, where they talk for about ten minutes about Awakening. I think it's kind of neat that they're about as big fans of the game as anyone here. :3: I do wish they'd been able to talk a bit more about the actual localisation process itself, since I find that sort of chat hella interesting.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Flame112 posted:

Wait, so it'll turn something like two 6/20 weapons into one 12/20? :stare:

Yeah.

The optimise function does about the same thing, while equipping all the characters you're fielding (and taking away equipment from the bench). I think it's pretty handy, though you do want to just look over them in case your nosferatu tome's been replaced by 3 thorons or something.

e: VV

Renown is more or less a "rating" of your team, and what it's done so far. A story mission, or risen encounter, gives you some renown, while the DLC and spotpass give you more. You can grab a bunch of rewards from the wireless section based on how much renown you have, and it carries over to future playthroughs.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 9, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

SpaceDrake posted:

Depending on the client, sometimes you have to play those sorts of cards really close to the chest because the client for this sort of project doesn't want to reveal much about their practices. I can definitely see Nintendo being like that, so the 8-4 crew may not be able to say much.

Also, while 99% of the loc work is absolutely great, there's a few name choices that seem really hurf. "Bolganone"? "Lodestar"? :what: Really, guys?

Lodestar fits for the reasons given, and I don't think bolganone is so much 8-4's fault as it is Treehouse's since that's been a tome since 9.

Mm I'm aware of that. Just kinda disappointed.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

cheetah7071 posted:

It wouldn't be too hard to just rush the boss down before the reinforcements spawn. Especially if you skip the non-boots treasures.

That chapter has reinforcements? :psyduck:

I ran two thieves every time I've played that chapter (a grand total of twice but anyway), so I've never not killed the boss before they show up. Wow.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Miriel says "Well, someone has to maintain the status quo." which got a laugh out of me, even though she is the most boring character bar Say'ri.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

cheetah7071 posted:

Excuse me, but Tiki is the master of snoozefest dialogue.

I just decided she was the best dragon after the Mar-mar episode :shobon:
Well that and her stuffing an apple into Say'ri's mouth because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Wait what? I'm pretty sure it triggers whenever.

• Locked thread