Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

Evil Canadian posted:

That said, I have a question: What exactly are the key differences between classes? From what I have seen there is no class specific abilities, you just walk beside dude and swing. If any given class can use the same weapon as another class, why should I pick one over the other? I assume mounted/flying classes move further and some stats might be different but other than that I am clueless.

Example that specifically I wonder about is that your My Unit class is good with swords and spells, but so is the dark knight class, why one over the other?

Someone will be able to answer these questions much better than I can, but: there are huuuge differences between classes. A knight will learn skills inherent to knights, while mages will get something else entirely. Also, class determines what weapons you can equip - there's nobody who can wield everything.

Edit: Cake Attack, can you maybe add something to the OP please to explain how leveling up determines stat increases, and why everyone should be excited for the phenomenon of empty levels? :unsmigghh:

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

SC Bracer posted:

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMfvY1S-j67k

This is probably my favourite track so far. Polsy'd in the interest of not attracting spoilers, so seriously listen to it. :allears:

Whose sister's words are being mocked when this plays? And why are the words so mocked?

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 28, 2013

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

I straight up made a few diagrams to figure out things like pairing people off, who's being a magical or physical fighter, and just how many male children can get Lightning Speed shoved on them. It was a helpful exercise in taking the edge off anticipation, for me. :v:

Zurai posted:

It's possible they increased growth rates. We already know the Avatar's HP growth at least is increased since it's possible to get +2 HP levels in the demo if you take the HP blessing.

Growth rates this time are pretty nice. You can play around with the SF growth rate calculator to investigate.

:d:Please note: that page has every possible character and every possible class for each character in the drop-down menus, so it is very spoiler-laden. Take care in clicking:d:

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I would be interested to see what you came up with if you are willing to share, otherwise I imagine I will probably do something similar this week as well.

Big dumb PM sent to you, because this sort of thing might be too spoiler-y to discuss in the thread at the moment. :shobon:

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

No desert items in any chapters.

Really? Really really?

This game keeps getting better and better :allears:

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

theshim posted:

Okay, some eugenics questions (spoilered just in case), mostly about Lightning Speed:

Lucina is simply "don't pair Chrom with Sully". Wood, Azure, and Brady can inherit it. Degel wants one of Gaia, Donny or Avatar for it, as do Noire and Nah. Cynthia and Selena have access to Pegasus Knight anyway. So it seems to maximize people with it, Avatar, Donny and Gaia are (in no particular order) locked to Sully, Tharja and Nowi...is this correct? If so this irritates me, simply because based purely on design I was going to have a male avatar paired with Cordelia. It's also annoying in that it means forgoing another Villager - should I pass down Good Growths in that case? And with a female Avatar, does this mean it's impossible to get all three of the above with Lightning Speed?

Then we get to Jerome. Is Jerome just flat-out screwed out of Lightning Speed? Same applies to Chambray and Loran.

I have been thoroughly researching this critical topic as well, and you have come to the same conclusions I have.

cheetah7071 posted:

And keep in mind that if you pick a female Avatar, you give up on one of the children gaining lightning speed, but Avatar herself will have it, whereas a male one would not (and having a male Morgan gives you an extra character with quick slash + lightning speed).

I am so excited for my avatar to produce a son-Morgan with Lightning Speed who will go on to pick up Quick Slash. Very, very excited.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Behonkiss posted:

I asked this in the general FE thread and didn't get a complete answer, so here goes: Does Casual Mode change anything other than the omission of permadeath? I'm thinking I should choose it for a less frustrating experience, but was wondering if it lowers the ingame battle difficulty as well or omits other important features.

Nope, everything else stays the same, so even Lunatic+ on Casual mode would still be crazy difficult.

e:f,b

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Lord Ephraim posted:

Is the only way to access the Berserker class is to change your male Avatar into a Brigand/Bandit/whatever they call it here?

Yeah, Barbarians are the only ones who can 'serk, according to the SF overview of what promotes into what.

Pirate as a class is not available this time around, unfortunately, but maybe some other class got the ability to cross water.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

e; Oh, what the hell, a plot-choice in a Fire Emblem game? I have no idea what to do, why are you putting this on me?

Oh! This! I know about it, but I don't know what the outcome is, so good luck!

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Peter Bazooka posted:

Is there any way in game to see what skills are unlocked by each class and at what level you earn them at?

That sounds too handy to have in-game, but here is a list showing all the skills, what class learns them, and when they're acquired.

It would be cool if some sort of "Skill Viewer" unlocked on beating the game, something similar to the Support Viewer where you get a list filled in of the class skills your army has picked up.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Oh dang, good thing Artix reposted that, actually, because I forgot about the DLC skills rule wanted to try to pass on Love Cry/Rally/Hoot (or whatever they're calling the first skill the Bride class gets) from one or twomothers to their respective sons.

I just really want the second generation kids to have skills from classes they're barred from entering. :shobon:

Also, I am definitely in the category of people who got an XL for this game. I have two other games at the moment, and I'll seek out new titles in the future, but Awakening is what made me go 3DS in the first place.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

I got an email today saying my Best Buy preorder was ready, then I got another one about two hours later informing me no, it wasn't, we're sorry for the inconvenience. I'm guessing someone messed up somewhere and those emails just shouldn't have been sent out, and the 4th is still the date to go for. I'll be calling the store tomorrow to ask for clarification. :shrug:

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Well, I hope Nintendo doesn't gently caress up as badly with the digital release, because both preorders I put in with Best Buy a while ago (the second was when the first one failed) have been canceled and squashed. The customer support rep I called on the phone said FE:A is basically sold out in my entire state. Noice! :cripes:

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

So has anyone else been giving Henry all the super-critty magic (like Ruin and some of the tomes you get from sparkly tiles) to hear all the insane things he says when he busts out a critical hit? The way he says "I'm gonna kill you!" so gleefully always makes me lose it. And one of his post-fight lines is "Yay, blood!" He's my favorite mage by far.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

My only real problem with Henry is that he joins riiight about the point my team is fairly solidified. at least as far as parents go and so it's hard to find a place for him.

I already decided ahead of time that he's getting with Maribelle, since they're both a little nuts. Crossing my fingers and hoping for some golden supports!

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Having Cordelia marry anyone results in an ill-tempered brat. Granted, an ill-tempered brat who can kill everything and was part of my final chapter party, but still. I don't know where the terrible personality comes from.

If your Avatar marries Cordelia, you'll also get a neat kid to balance things out.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Making Lon'qu the dad to anybody is one of the best parts of the kids showing up. Be sure to get his supports with his child, because the second generation is all just a tad emotionally disturbed, and the dad reactions are awesome on Lonks.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

In CoY1 Virion rambles at Elincia about her graceful scent.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Yeah, life in an apocalyptic timeline made the second generation all crazy as heck.

Pairing them up is even more fun than their parents, cause you don't have to worry about how the kids will turn out! Owain, go out with Cynthia - you both like that heroic stuff. Brady, you should be seeing Noire, since you're both sickly people. Inigo, you flip out at your dad in an embarrassing way and get on all the women's nerves - marry Severa! Beautiful. Gerome, you can't be with anyone, you're too antisocial. Go hang out with Ricken on the bench for people never getting married.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

I just hit Chapter 12, I was wondering when the children characters show up, because I've already met the characters that show up in the main story (apparently) because there are no other blacked out characters in the relations screen

Oh you're suuuper close! Look out for the next chapter, and make sure Chrom and his wife have stats that are agreeable to you at the moment, and that the latter person has a skill you'd like to pass down at the end of her list.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Louisgod posted:

That was the plan but do the stats from the extra levels not carry over when you reclass them?

This is one part of it:

Tae posted:

Are you asking about why certain stats went down when you reclassed? Characters have stats, then the bases of a class added to make the totals.

- and also, caps vary between classes, so one uncapped stat that was really high as a dancer might turn out to be capped when she's in another class, especially a base one. But the game will remember the higher stat for when she's a dancer or any other class with a higher limit on that stat.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

"Procure", I reckon.

Edit: Here is what the Urban Dictionary has to say on the term's etymology. The definitions are fairly nonsensical.

Edit again: The post below me is correct! Listen to that post.

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 1, 2013

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Oraculum Animi posted:

Is there any support conversation that Olivia has where she isn't awkward and apologizing all the time?

Virion support: pretty nice - he puts his frivolous noble education to use and helps her out with a few dances she wants to learn, and she doesn't get (too) shy and withdrawn.

Kellam support: he gives Olivia advice and she bakes some tasty sweets!

Donnel support: She teaches him the real end of a song that's like the Ylisse version of Swan Lake, and he helps her choreograph steps for the bittersweet ending.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

Which one? I've finished the game once already and I don't remember seeing that pop into my inventory at all.

You get it in chapter 21 - one of the Mire wielders near the boss drops it if you kill that particular sorcerer. But you may have killed the boss before reaching the Mire-dropper, which means no lovely tome for you.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

SC Bracer posted:

So having Chrom father Inigo results in this wonderful line: "I've raised a philanderer!" Poor guy. He's so normal and then it turns out all their children are completely nuts.

Oh dear. All his potential kids, aside from the guaranteed one, are just absolutely nuts. Being the hero is hard sometimes. :sigh:

Inigo's C supports with either Lon'qu or Virion as his father are amazing, however. Two extremes in dealing with women, both ashamed of their ridiculous son. I don't like how his B and A ones go, because his reaction is basically, word for word, that "No YOU Shut The gently caress Up, Dad" thread tag we have. And then whoever is his dad in that support acquiesces and is like "Uhh fine whatever let's not lose each other again, freaky future-son."

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Agreed, she's definitely on a way to burnout and I kinda like Laurents support with her since he tries to get her to slow down and look after herself

Oh I totes had Laurent and Lucina get married. They both were happy and relaxed (or as relaxed as those two can get) around each other in each support level and got along really well in every conversation. He's good at keeping track of things, so he'll make a helpful spouse when Lucina takes the throne. (Maybe? I don't know how lines of succession work when there's a baby version and a grown-up version of a person at the same time.) Poor Lucina, her little bio says she's the least likely to get a joke. How is she my daughter with no sense of humor. :(

I don't know who she's gonna marry now in my second play-through. Her other eligible suitors are nuuuuuutssss

edit:

Tae posted:

Unfortunately it seems you only find out from Cherche's supports.

You can also find out about Lonks' reason for his gynophobia from his B support with Tharja! Her supports also bring out Gregor's backstory.

The Nowi/Lon'qu C-A support is amazing also.

Collectin' supports: a super duper worthwhile and fun hobby.

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 1, 2013

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

booksnake posted:

Does completing Paralogue 2 always spawn a bunch of Annas on the world map or was that just a happy coincidence that 4 of them popped up? (the ones that spawned on Chapter 2 and Chapter 5's maps had second seals and Arms scrolls so whoo, that makes this run's early game more interesting)

Just a happy coincidence. Congrats to you!

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Oh man I just finished spotpass paralogue 19. Time to take our new friend to the Golden Gaffe and EXPonential growth maps to see just what he has to remark on with all the silliness in those outrealm adventures!!

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

I wish Yarne would shut up about being the last of his kind when his mom is hanging around right there. She can totally make a replacement of you, Yarne. Chill out already.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Lissa's supports with Virion and Henry are pretty cute! Sully has some nice ones with Frederick, Vaike and Gaius.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

Is it worth demoting Fredrick with a Second Seal, or is he always going to be an experience Black Hole?

If you're embarking on the pet project of "Make Frederick Good", let him get to level five as a Great Knight so he picks up Luna for better killin', then reclass as desired. I like to eventually make him a Griffon Rider so he can give his kid Deliverer.

Does Frederick tend to end up with a crappy Luck stat for anyone else? If so, why did he get assigned a bad growth in that regard? I can understand the plot reasons for characters like Cherche, the dark mages, and Libra, but what sad background does Frederick have? Does looking after Chrom and Lissa suck that bad?

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I turned Chrom into a Sniper after having him go Great Lord>Great Knight for Luna and Dual Guard+ so he could get Hit Rate +20. It was miserable even getting him to level 5 as a Sniper, and then once he learned the skill, I was like "gently caress it" and just demoted him to Cavalier so he could then be a Paladin.

Did he look goofy as a Sniper? Cause on my second playthrough I was like, All right! Virion, Imma do right by you and make you a real good arrow shooter, instead of turning you into a Dark Knight like last time! But then when he promoted to Sniper his armor made him look like he had a beer belly and a beer back and his crazy knee boots looked like they would cut him if he took just one misstep, and it all looked way worse than his base Archer duds. His alternative as a Bow Knight, which I checked out, gave him...culottes...

I'm sorry IS hates your class so much, Virion. :(

Count Bleck posted:

I plan on using Olivia on this playthrough. By making her the deadliest Assassin Dancer ever. Why are her skill and speed growths so high and why is her strength growth pretty decent?

I feel like all I'm missing is a Shamshir..

Oh hell yes. Olivia is an awesome assassin. "OHHHHHH please let this be over!!" and "STOP STARING!!" while she crits and Lethalities left and right. It is your destiny, Olivia! Do not be afraid!

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

He really is more of a butler than anything.

His support with Maribelle is entirely about this. She insists he's a steward - a "professionally trained" one - and he's like, No really, I'm a knight, I totes do not lead a miserable existence cleaning up after Chrom and Lissa. Then he gets Maribelle to do chores.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

This game is seriously like a crack addiction. I'm already planning out pairings for a third playthrough. Oh well. I'm having fun, and that's what matters, right?

That is a-ok. I'm already on a third playthrough. First: Normal-Casual so I could zoom through everything and find out the plot super fast. Second: Hard-Classic because I've played 7, 8 and 12 on various amounts of normal/hard, so it was time for me to grow up and play on challenging stuff. Currently: Hard-Classic, again, but with no grinding and no pairing up. About to tackle Paralogue 1 (Donny boy!). Forging a nice Bronze Lance for him first. And maybe some Tonics since he ain't getting a pair-up buddy.

Renown status: just a couple thousand points away from that second pair of Boots! :shepface:

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Hey, thread! Here's a question for those of you who have managed to get Chrom to marry the nameless Maiden: How does having her for a mother end up affecting Lucina's growth rates and starting stats? When an actual character is Lucina's other parent, the game averages things across the board, but what sort of attributes does the Village Maiden have? Zeroes for everything? (Ouch.) Or maybe some low token stats and growth rates here and there?

SF reports that she contributes the following to Lucina's stat caps: Str +2, Mag +1, Skl +2, Spd +2, Lck +2, Def +0 and Res +0. However, going to the growth rate calculator and plugging in "Maiden" brings up a row of eight question marks.

Anyway, if anyone hasn't gone down this route yet, I will try this and report back.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

The only main story chapter map on the Valm continent that I like is the one that sells you Second Seals after you beat it (chapter 16).

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Color Printer posted:

The ending notes did say he was a surprisingly good father. :3: Even though the event-tile conversations (Can the married and parent/child ones even show up in the barracks if you get lucky?) are (mostly) generic match-em-ups, they still usually turn out really nice.

Yes they can! I love the parent/child barrack convos.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Color Printer posted:

It just wasn't all that fun near the end when I had to play "everyone waits for Gangrel to open the doors because gently caress these god drat walls"

Well, at least you're getting utility out of the rascal. And you're helping him make good in turning over a new leaf! Did you make him go for the chests as well? I just really like the thought of the Ylissean squad waiting, probably impatiently, for Gangrel to work his magic fingers on the locks in there.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

And yeah, I really prefer the Avatar ending; it really gives a lot more closure to the whole game.

I'm all about the Avatar Ending (and that last cutscene at the end, ahhhhhh it's so perfect, why don't they let it show up in the cutscene theater after you've seen it :(). It makes much more sense plotwise.

But the Chrom Ending has everyone saying happy stuff that's in tune with their various characters, so to me it's better, writing-wise. The Avatar choice has everyone lamenting your death, which I find a little hard to believe. I benched you straight from the beginning, Ricken. I don't think you'll miss me. Say'ri, we never said much more than "Hello" to each other once or twice, you're probably way more torn up over your brother than my death. Let's be real, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, but it's fun, and Lethality looks over-the-top gory.

Yes! YES! I love how stylish Lethality looks. If I could get it on everyone, I would probably turn the battle animations back on for even grindy Spotpass fights. (Right now they're on just for story chapters and some DLC.)

Actually, considering how so many characters have eventual access to it via Myrmidon and Thief, that might just be a future project for me. Team Lethality. I will call it...."The Red and The Black".

Also, here are two things you may have seen elsewhere, thread, but they are pretty good, so take a look. The first is a character popularity poll over on the Nintendo 3DS Facebook page. The winner gets a special cover photo, whatever that means. Unfortunately, Henry is only in second place. :(

edit: According to this tweet, the top ten will go on to cover photo glory! In one giant medley? Fairly exciting stuff!

Second: Fire Emblem: Awakening - the text game! "You assemble a team of your finest warriors, plus Chrom. You optimize their weaponry, and then tell Chrom for the fiftieth time to put the goddamned Silver/Brave/Awesome Sword down and equip Falchion. Jesus, Chrom."

:allears: :allears:

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 19, 2013

• Locked thread