Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Isn't Woody part of a playset though? You wouldn't want to get him solo if you're going to buy the Toy Story playset later on. Jack should be fine solo, since he's not part of one.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Kelp Plankton posted:

Isn't Woody part of a playset though? You wouldn't want to get him solo if you're going to buy the Toy Story playset later on. Jack should be fine solo though.

Nope, Woody is sold seperately. Buzz Lightyear and Jessie (the cowgirl) are the figures in the playset pack.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Diosamblet posted:

Nope, Woody is sold seperately. Buzz Lightyear and Jessie (the cowgirl) are the figures in the playset pack.

Oh, my bad. I just assumed it was going to be Buzz and Woody since that was the combo that made sense. Nevermind then!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Oh, my bad. I just assumed it was going to be Buzz and Woody since that was the combo that made sense. Nevermind then!
They're probably figuring that more people would buy Woody separately than would buy Jessie separately.

Then again, in that case they could have done Woody + Jessie for the playset and sold Buzz separately. I'm not sure how it is for kids these days, but when the first Toy Story had just came out I remember way more kids being into Buzz.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I've let my kid loose on the game and he hasn't left toybox mode since he got out of the tutorial. This is since Friday night. While I'm chagrined at how much I know the collectibles will run me, I'm pleased and entertained with his creativity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just prepare for the horrific shock of him making his first gigantic dong.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Endorph posted:

Just prepare for the horrific shock of him making his first gigantic dong.

I haven't had my turn to play yet.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Please be aware that you cannot have multiple save games within the playsets themselves - my brother today began a new game in the Monsters University playset after having found everything and completing every mission, only to find his progress completely erased and a new game in its place. For what it's worth, all the toys he unlocked in the playset that made themselves available in the toy box were still there after he started the new game in Monsters University.

Cuhullin
Feb 12, 2012
Pro tip: Power discs can be read through the packaging. So if you are looking for particular discs, buy several packs with a gift receipt and just place the package on the stand in toy box mode. Even with this method tying for a full set and avoiding doubles is unlikely as discs do seem to be packaged at random. Also the scratch test for rares does work, but you will get questioning looks from store workers as you compulsively check every pack in stock.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Shhhhhh you're gonna make Disney start packaging discs in aluminium-lined cardboard boxes and then we'll never get our ultra-rare Remy the Rat's Chef's Toque which grants us extra health

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
I resolved not to care about collecting all the discs. But then I get a toy disc like Mickey's Car and the music makes me grin like an idiot, and my resolve falters.

No really, I just want Rapunzel's Birthday sky and then I'm set... :ohdear:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I bought a pair of Power Disks alongside the game just for the sake of it, but other than that I'm not bothering with them at all. I'd like the Alice in Wonderland texture/sky, but not enough to gently caress around with blind bags.

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008
Those packs are most likely going to end up completely worthless in a few months. If not they'll just move them to the front of the store like other TCGs.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fine, but you all will go buy the Tron skydome/texture discs when they come out whether you like it or not.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Because I'm a lazy manchild, is there anyway to permanently add the hexagonal power discs to my Toybox, mutata? Also, I see in the Hall of Heroes there's going to be a Tron Uprising disc (Extra EXP?) at some point. Even though the show was a flop (Still loved it), will we see any ideas from the show?

I got the Rapunzel sky the other day. It's just amazing and I love it.

Meanwhile, my favourite Playset by FAR is the Lone Ranger. I haven't seen the film and after playing it, I kind of want to. I will say that whoever voices Red in the game is just dreadful. I'm guessing it's not Helena Bonham Carter.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
All these great deals in the US that you guys are getting, is there gonna be anything like that over in the UK? Because I'm not seeing anywhere selling these toys for less than £12 each, the kits for £28 and the starter set for £52.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Doubt it. The best deal I got was preordering it from ASDA's site and getting a free figure for £52. The best offers are currently: Amazon having the starter pack for £47, PC World have the power discs for £3 and the cheapest triple character bundles and playsets and Toys'R'Us have the individual figures for £11.89.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Anyone getting a hard lock up on the Incredibles Zoo mission?

It always seems to bug out on me

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Diosamblet posted:

Having played through almost all of the playset content: Some of them are a lot of fun, The Incredibles sucks. Cars and Monsters University are my favorites so far. Both Cars and Pirates of the Carribean would likely be a lot funner with a second player to race or man a ship with, respectively.

Just to give another point of view, I found the Incredibles one pretty compelling and hated Monsters U. Here's my take on each, in the order I tried them in:

The Incredibles makes me feel like a comic book superhero. Yes, that does mean that sometimes there are too many random enemy encounters, but the powers are just so much more fun to play with than most of the other playsets' figure powers. I liked the challenges, and I enjoyed how differently each figure played. Mr. Incredible throws everything at everyone, Mrs. Incredible's stretchy powers were great for navigation and fighting, Violet is SO powerful, and Dash can run through all but the strongest enemies. I suspect I would have enjoyed the playset a lot less if I didn't have all of the Incredibles figures.

Monsters U was so boring to play and watch. I haven't seen the movie but loved Monsters Inc., so that may be my fault a bit for not expecting that you wouldn't scare humans at all during the playset. I haven't quite finished it yet, so maybe that changes, but so far, I'm mostly just TPing trees, changing paint schemes on frat houses, and getting slapped by newsstands. The missing sound effects (on Wii U, it happens every few minutes) and lack of emphasis on the characters' actual abilities (scaring) made it just feel a bit crappy to me. I love the toys from the MU playset, and I recommend playing it to unlock them. But I did not like playing the playset except for the paintball challenges. Those were fun.

Lone Ranger felt, to me, like a kiddie Red Dead Redemption. I liked it through to the end.

Cars is so fun that I have been putting off playing it more so that I have something left in the game I know I'll enjoy. I love the way the cars handle, and the world is built quite well for interaction as a giant, four-wheeled, sentient monstrosity. Pulling over speeders and setting up the towable ramp for a big jump, trying out my secret agent car weapons, and just all the races...oh man, if you like Mario Kart but wish the weapons didn't piss you off every race, you will probably enjoy the racing style here.

Pirates, I did not expect to like. I'm only about an hour in, but it seems to be the most polished. The waypoints don't just point to the ultimate destination like most of the playsets, they show you where to go next on your way to that mission. The sailing has been fun so far, and I like the simple puzzles and such that they've thrown at me.

I'm sure others will be like Diosamblet and prefer Monsters U, but I want to make sure people don't watch a clip of someone playing it, say "that looks boring" and skip the game. I've found the other playsets a lot more engaging.

On a side note, in case anyone was wondering, when you are down to < 16 toys left to unlock in the vault, it throws in any block themes you haven't unlocked yet as regular unlocks instead of bonuses. And no big surprise for unlocking everything in the vault, just a "No items available" blurb on the vault screen from then on.

Edit: I loaded up Monsters U again to see if I had been too harsh on it. Within ten minutes, the game cut off mission audio four times to harass me for not making my way through the Fear tunnels. I forgot to mention above, but it's been doing that sort of thing for the entirety of the playset. This is an exploration game. Why does it nag you, even while you're doing missions, to go through the game faster?

Bionic fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 25, 2013

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

They're probably figuring that more people would buy Woody separately than would buy Jessie separately.

Then again, in that case they could have done Woody + Jessie for the playset and sold Buzz separately. I'm not sure how it is for kids these days, but when the first Toy Story had just came out I remember way more kids being into Buzz.

You put your most putting the most popular character with a less popular character in the two pack, then putting the second most popular character in a single pack seems the best way to move both packages.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Bionic posted:

Just to give another point of view, I found the Incredibles one pretty compelling and hated Monsters U. Here's my take on each, in the order I tried them in:

I do love the Incredibles as characters - they seem to be the only ones that are actually unique from each other within the playset group. Violet would be amazing if she didn't bring the already cruddy (on PS3) framerate in that playset to its knees. Mr. Incredible is ridiculous in the arena battle adventure, too.

The insistence on telling you about the tunnel in MU really bothered me too. It's one of the more care-free, move at your own pace playsets so it's a little baffling. They probably just found in testing that younger kids weren't sure where they should be to advance the story. Otherwise the set is just really charming.

Andrew_1985 posted:

I got the Rapunzel sky the other day. It's just amazing and I love it.

Seriously, this is the one disc I really want. A skybox that will immediately evoke an entire movie (and the most emotional scene) is pretty fantastic.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Five bucks for two disks (not taking into consideration retailer mercy like sales and whatnot) is some wretched Disney merchandising bullshit at its worst, and I'm in support of anything anyone recommends to reveal the secrets.

In the one pack I got for my kid, we got the Finding Nemo skybox, that puts everything seemingly underwater and has really pleasant music. I'm happy with it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I picked this up to explore and it's actually much better than I feared it might be. The only playset I've really tried so far has been the Incredibles, but the Toybox is a lot of fun too, although it's awkward that there seems to be no way to decide which enemies an Enemy Generator creates. Some odd enemy choices too (the broom out of Sorcerer's Apprentice? I mean, there were a pain in the backside but I don't recall them walking up to Mickey and punching him in the head)

Also, the NFC tags on the figure bases are MiFare Classic Minis, which apparently means you can quite easily hack and otherwise mess with them if you have an affinity for shady hardware and/or Android apps. Haven't tried it, though.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

hyphz posted:

I picked this up to explore and it's actually much better than I feared it might be. The only playset I've really tried so far has been the Incredibles, but the Toybox is a lot of fun too, although it's awkward that there seems to be no way to decide which enemies an Enemy Generator creates. Some odd enemy choices too (the broom out of Sorcerer's Apprentice? I mean, there were a pain in the backside but I don't recall them walking up to Mickey and punching him in the head)

The Enemy Creator (the Basic Toy) is pretty much only useful as a "random arena" toy - there are much better ways to create enemies if you want something specific.

The Enemy Generator (creativi-toy) lets you specify a particular enemy when you assign it a trigger from another creativi-toy. Also if you use the wand on it and choose "properties" you can assign a "battle team", allowing you to make enemies fight each other. I think the "Team Toys" pack allows you to assign players to teams as well so orange enemies will attack blue players, etc, but I haven't unlocked that yet.

The most control and "seamless" method would be to use a Replayer, record placing specific enemies in specific locations, and then play it back when the situation you want triggers it. This way there aren't pads sitting on the ground telling the player "enemies will appear here" and you can even set up formations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Diosamblet posted:

The Enemy Creator (the Basic Toy) is pretty much only useful as a "random arena" toy - there are much better ways to create enemies if you want something specific.

The Enemy Generator (creativi-toy) lets you specify a particular enemy when you assign it a trigger from another creativi-toy. Also if you use the wand on it and choose "properties" you can assign a "battle team", allowing you to make enemies fight each other. I think the "Team Toys" pack allows you to assign players to teams as well so orange enemies will attack blue players, etc, but I haven't unlocked that yet.

The most control and "seamless" method would be to use a Replayer, record placing specific enemies in specific locations, and then play it back when the situation you want triggers it. This way there aren't pads sitting on the ground telling the player "enemies will appear here" and you can even set up formations.

Wow, the documentation for the Creativitoys is really abominable, isn't it?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

My nephew's grandma is thinking of getting him this game for his 6th birthday. He has a Wii U, but it isn't hooked up to the internet. Are there any day one updates or anything that need to be downloaded? Are there any disney toyboxes on the disk or do those all needed to be downloaded?

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

hyphz posted:

This guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/cstliddell works at Avalanche Software and has been creating Creativi-toy videos for the nerdier among us.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

I have a question about the Lone Ranger playset... how do you reach the toys that are very high in the air? There are some high above buildings that you can't jump to... my son and I can't figure out how you are supposed to reach them.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Ebenezer posted:

I have a question about the Lone Ranger playset... how do you reach the toys that are very high in the air? There are some high above buildings that you can't jump to... my son and I can't figure out how you are supposed to reach them.

If you find the five shrines hidden around, you'll be able to buy an ability later on which lets you transform into a crow. It's quite fun.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
people bought the Lone Ranger set? How is it?

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Samara posted:

people bought the Lone Ranger set? How is it?

Not really worth the full price I paid for it (I doubt any of the playsets will be - that MSRP is just egregious) but I'd say if you like the game as a whole, it's worth the half off price I've been seeing in some locations.

As people have said, it's kind of like a kiddie Red Dead Redemption. Lots of riding around on horseback and shooting bandits with your pop-gun. There are a few (literal) "rail shooter" missions, as you can put a cannon or gatling gun on your train. You also shoot the train switches to make it travel on different loops.

If you're looking for toybox content, it has some great stuff - gritty-looking wild west buildings, the only "summon" item I've seen, the easiest to use flight toy (that crow pack is really relaxing to just fly around with). Unfortunately one of the coolest parts of the playset, the train doesn't carry over into the toybox.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That's surprising, having a train and train tracks seems like a no-brainer inclusion for the Toybox mode. I wonder why they didn't include that.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Alex WS posted:

Couldn't you just reset the level of your toys and unlock eight new spins with them?

mutata posted:

I'm *pretty* sure that resetting the figures' levels should work. Someone should see if that's the case, that'd be an interesting way to game the system.

Has anyone tried this yet?

hyphz posted:

You don't understand! This game is emergent! All the good strategies will come from the players! Emeeeeeeeerrrrrrgeeeeeeeeennnnnnnt! (wiggles fingers mystically at you until you walk away)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 26, 2013

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Bubba77 posted:

I bought this for our WiiU with my 3 year old daughter in mind. When princess stuff comes like repunzel it will blow her mind.

I havent had her play it yet, have many of you tried it with really young kids yet like 3? Ive only played as jack sparrow so far and I think its great but way above her head. Whats the best one to start with for kids?

I have cars, monsters, incredibles, pirates.

I play it with my 3.5 year old. He runs in circles and into walls and acts like he's controlling my character. It's pretty rad.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
It's nice that you can get each quest to point you in the right direction.

Helpful for a young kid playing solo.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Is data stored on the figure like Skylanders? Or should my wife and kids be able to use all of the figures int heir own game? (I will "test" it of course!)

Also, I have all 3 current gen consoles, does it matter which one you get it on? They all seem to be the same to me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

LumberingTroll posted:

Is data stored on the figure like Skylanders? Or should my wife and kids be able to use all of the figures int heir own game? (I will "test" it of course!)

Also, I have all 3 current gen consoles, does it matter which one you get it on? They all seem to be the same to me.

Characters claimed by another profile appear as 'guests' in other profiles and won't unlock anything like a presence in Hall of Heroes. If you change ownership it wipes level data, unlike Skylanders where it's preserved. Pretty callous poo poo.

What also is seeming callous to me is that anything resembling actual game content is on those expansion pack things. Unless you give a huge gently caress about toybox mode, all it seems you buy with the base pack is a gutted engine that you have to buy the actual game for.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

5er posted:

What also is seeming callous to me is that anything resembling actual game content is on those expansion pack things. Unless you give a huge gently caress about toybox mode, all it seems you buy with the base pack is a gutted engine that you have to buy the actual game for.

That's what it sounded like to me.

For anyone that actually bought this for their kids to play, what age range feels like this is the minimum for?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

chemosh6969 posted:

For anyone that actually bought this for their kids to play, what age range feels like this is the minimum for?

My sons are 8 and 2. I don't mind letting the 2 year old watch him while he plays... but (bearing in mind a responsible parent moderates ANY child's play schedule) I think you could even let a 4 year old take a crack at this.

edit to clarify that I think a 4 year old wouldn't have a clue how to properly play, there'd be no harm in letting them screw around and do whatever they like. The narratives for how to use build mode aren't that shabby.

5er fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

chemosh6969 posted:

7.5yr old no sweat playing.

5yr old may need a bit of parental support.

• Locked thread