Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Internationally, the Ducktales crew is still pretty well-known by way of the Disney comics. Scrooge got his show because of those comics, and they're still doing well today. Not in the US so much, but in Europe and stuff. So it's possible Scrooge or Launchpad could show up.

Darkwing, the Rescue Rangers, etc, are a little less likely. But they're at least still existing in comic book form, too, so who knows.

This already looks way more interesting than Skylanders just by virtue of having that Toybox concept. I hope the playsets include content that's not necessarily built into the game as well, otherwise there probably won't be enough of them to do really interesting or crazy stuff with beyond a few combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That Giantbomb video is definitely worth a watch.

If Skylanders has one major weak point to the whole thing, it's that the games are just okay at best. With this, they're really trying to put something special together. Online collaborative level/game building in the Toybox, four player online co-op and two player local co-op, and look at how stylish everything looks. The toy aesthetic looks great in-game, especially with them using the joints the figures have in the same way the toys do.

Disney's onto something here- my only worry is that it might be a little too expensive. But if each of those new level/franchise "expansions" contains another 6-10 hours of gameplay, then I'm basically sold on the whole concept.

Hopefully they push some good franchises onto this. Incredibles is a great start. I like the idea of adding new items and weapons and vehicles and stuff to the game via the tokens that might not be worth doing a full 'game' worth of content for.

Also, they should let Ralph cross over into any other franchise. It's practically his special ability. :colbert:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The way they phrase it whenever someone asks them about Marvel or Lucasfilm properties is a pretty open "maybe eventually!", which makes it pretty obvious that they'll begin dipping into things like that, but only if this is a success with the Disney/Pixar stuff. I'm sure they'll want to release something like 'Disney Infinity 2: Avengers Assemble' or 'Star Wars Infinity' or whatever they want to call it, and make those have major marketing pushes unto themselves.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So with characters that have no 'playset', like Vanellope or Sorcerer Mickey for example, are they just unable to be used in the 'main' game stuff and basically relegated to being toybox mode only?

Or is there some sort of non-franchise-specific storyline to play through as these 'independent' characters?

edit: Also, it says this is on PC in the OP but I can't find anything backing that up, is that info wrong?

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 19, 2013

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Isn't Woody part of a playset though? You wouldn't want to get him solo if you're going to buy the Toy Story playset later on. Jack should be fine solo, since he's not part of one.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 25, 2013

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Diosamblet posted:

Nope, Woody is sold seperately. Buzz Lightyear and Jessie (the cowgirl) are the figures in the playset pack.

Oh, my bad. I just assumed it was going to be Buzz and Woody since that was the combo that made sense. Nevermind then!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That's surprising, having a train and train tracks seems like a no-brainer inclusion for the Toybox mode. I wonder why they didn't include that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

5er posted:

Are you basically saying that if my kid's Randy is level 9, I steal ownership away, play him up to say, level 5, then he takes Randy back and reclaims ownership, he'll be back to level 9? And if I take ownership back again, he'll go back to my level 5?

Yes, that is exactly how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Live stream is supposed to be starting now. Really curious how they handle the Marvel stuff, since adaptions of things like Winter Soldier as playsets seem kind of... outside of the game's tone.

• Locked thread