Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Finally, it's top 3 night, and the three best contestants are the last ones standing. I'm going to admit that I'm completely bored by this season at this point, as though there is something inherently disappointing about Idol seasons going exactly how it should without any massive heartbreaks.

Also, I don't like most of the songs that are happening tonight. I hope to be pleasantly surprised! I also hope to win the lottery someday.

ROUND ONE: THE WILY MACHINATIONS OF JIMMY THE DICK

Kree - "Fuckin' Perfect": 6/10 Song Choice: F It's not really entirely her fault that this wasn't very good. She didn't miss any notes but she brought zero energy to a song that relies entirely on the performer to sell it. Pink's catalogue is proving to be poisonous to singing contestants. This isn't a good start for good ol' Kree, nor the night.

Candice - "One": 8/10 Song Choice: B- Candice did her Candice thing on a pretty weak song. She connected well with it, and her pitch was infallible. I wish they'd stop calling her a diva when she's anything but. I'm not saying she isn't talented (obviously) but she's not up her own rear end like that. This wasn't unique, just very well done.

Angie - "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word": 7.5/10 Song Choice: C Terrible arrangement. All of the songs have felt unusually brief tonight and this was the most blatant of them. I'd be surprised if it went the full 90 seconds, really. She did her Angie thing on, again, another pretty boring song. It feels now in retrospect that Iovine was trying to show a different side of the contestants, and his placement in the first round speaks to that. It was a failed experiment that felt more like a top 8 theme night than the first round of the show that determines the finale.

Jimmy confirms my suspicions and gives the round to Angie. I think it's a draw with Kree trailing by a few lengths but I can see where he's coming from.

ROUND TWO: BECAUSE THEY'VE DONE SUCH A BANG-UP JOB SO FAR THIS SEASON

Candice's hometown visit is one of my favorites ever. Elliot Yamin will forever hold that crown but drat was this sweet.

Candice - "Next to Me": 7/10 Song Choice: D+ I was really excited by the start of this performance, because I thought she was going to turn an annoying song into a jazz experiment. Alas, it was not to be. I find the chorus of this song insufferable, but she played with it just enough to make it good. Not great, but good. Again, she's hamstrung by the material she's been given. Nicki has a genuine emotional moment and it's so sweet. Then Randy shits up the joint, prompting a save from Nicki. Gosh drat do I love her.

It's really surreal how there's nobody around for the first part of Angie's hometown visit. Then it got hilarious because her and her friends were clearly annoying the other patrons of that café. At least a lot of people showed up in that nice open field for her free show.

Angie - "Try": 6/10 Song Choice: C Another Pink song, another crappy chorus. The real star was the Idol drummer, quite distractingly so. It felt like a showcase for his chops rather than a singer's song. I mean, Angie did fine enough, but that closing chorus was something special for the rhythm section. Angie doesn't do well at anchoring herself without a piano there to help her, but I strongly suspect she'll close the night at the keys.

Kree is a motherfuckin hug machine. I'm momentarily grossed out by the crawfish boil when they poured the cooked food into unlined cardboard boxes, but whatever. Her childhood home visit was heartbreaking, and I can't believe the turnout for her free show.

Kree - "Here Comes Goodbye": 10+/10 Song Choice: A FINALLY, something deserving of the top 3. Kree comes from behind to win the poo poo out of round two. If this happened at the end of the night she'd be a lock for the finale. Seriously impressive and so emotionally raw that... I simply have no words. Amazing.

Jimmy gives round two to Kree, obviously.

ROUND THREE: "IDOL PRODUCTION PICKS", WHATEVER THAT MEANS

Angie - "Maybe": 5.5/10 Song Choice: F- This sounded like someone who's pretty talented doing karaoke for the first time and picking a song that is absolutely out of their depth. This was a shouty, messy performance of a terrible song, but it wasn't bad by any means. More of a last gasp than a case for making the finale. She has a ton of momentum going into tonight, but I wouldn't be shocked to see her go after that.

Kree - "Better Dig Two": 5/10 Song Choice: F The instrumentation was overwhelming, and Kree came off as desperately struggling to overcome it. I also suspect her voice was tired at this point. I know mine is. The judges and Seacrest phone it in as well. They should have switched rounds three and two because this poo poo is falling flat as a week-old soda.

Candice - "Somewhere": Candice/10 Song Choice: A+ Candice's post-Idol Broadway career started in earnest tonight. Absolutely perfect. She took an ancient musical selection and made it sound current. She's the champion of this season. She should and must win. I don't want to watch a finale without her, and I sincerely doubt I'll have to.

Jimmy calls it down the middle onstage to close the night.

This has been a boring, mixed bag of a season that somehow has also had several of the best performances of the show's run. Tonight rang true to this trajectory, and really it's harder to call than any of the previous seasons going into the finale. Angie should have been a sure bet going into tonight and surely had the most momentum, but Candice simply cannot be ignored since there aren't any cute boys to steal her thunder. Kree is the wildcard and the underdog, but the question has to be this: who could beat Candice? Who makes for the best story going into the finale? I want to say that it's Kree, but I could see a case for Angie, especially if her finale set list includes her original song or another one like it. But again, that's just a question of what would be the most interesting thing that could happen, not what probably will. The producers are pushing Candice and want whomever else is there to be the underdog.

BEST OF THE NIGHT: Candice
SHOULD GO HOME: Angie
WILL GO HOME: Kree

What say you, Singthread Goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I think Usher wants to keep the model on as long as possible as his pet project but he doesn't realize he can let someone go and still help them. Hell, Blake eventually let RaeLynn go on season 2 and he LOVED her/is still part of her career.

Blake, Shakira, and Usher all made the wrong calls. Adam got it 100% right.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No more shall the Dawg yo; Randy Jackson is leaving American Idol. I know the death toll has been ringing for this show for the longest time, it keeps losing viewers every year, and the money it costs to run it (and it's bastard child X-Factor) have got to be taking a toll on Fox. I wonder how many more seasons they can keep it going on.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I actually really like Angie and am sad she's not in the finale though that may be the fact that I'm a little :swoon: for her to be honest. Also they should just kill Idol.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Candice to Angie: There's no one I would have rather been in the top three with than you!

Candice to Kree: There's no one I would rather be with in the final two than you!

Congrats on winning the show, Candice. I'm watching the show for the first time since S2 for Mariah Carey and I thought Angie was a shoo-in for the grand supreme champion. Not sure why Kree is still around, and judging by the atrocious pants she was wearing tonight I think the producers feel the same way.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Yoshifan823 posted:

No more shall the Dawg yo; Randy Jackson is leaving American Idol. I know the death toll has been ringing for this show for the longest time, it keeps losing viewers every year, and the money it costs to run it (and it's bastard child X-Factor) have got to be taking a toll on Fox. I wonder how many more seasons they can keep it going on.

This is actually the second season in a row he's been reported as being out so who knows. Idol still gets good enough ratings and they've downsized the production by hiring monkeys to run the live broadcast quite a bit in the last few seasons. It'll be around for a few more seasons, minimum. If they get rid of Nicki (which would SUUUUCK) the ratings will tick back up.

the truth posted:

I'm watching the show for the first time since S2 for Mariah Carey

I can only imagine your disappointment.

Results time! Major audio hiccup at the start of the group number, which was limp as a damp rag anyway.

Jimmy repeats himself. No one cares.

Widdle Wauwen Awaina is seemingly frozen in time with her dubious fake tan and Grown Up Now hairstyle. I can't fathom that she was the runner-up, but then again if Scotty won then anything's possible really. The song is way out of her depth but that's nothing new.

Alicia Keys is here to sing "Girl on Fire" again, probably.

Mariah Carey's so current, her new single has the word "hashtag" in it. Come on everybody! She's MODERN!! SHE'S RELEVANT!! AAAAAAGGGHHHH!!! Miguel's pretty cool though. I also won't deny that Mimi looks absolutely amazing even if the video beat that over our heads for what felt like a week.

Adam Lambert status: still pretty interesting.

At least Alicia's doing a new song. And it's okay.

Finally results first in the finale is... Candice! And that's that, she's won the season. I kind of don't care who else is there, but I hope it's Kree.

And I get my wish! My dream finale from months ago is actually happening. As long as the song choices are on-point we're going to have an all-time-great finale. Though come to think of it, there hasn't been one that was any good since Lambert-Allen.

Angie Miller is the prettiest crying person ever. That was still painful to watch. Great job, Angie. Sorry they made you do that.

Even though Candice is running away with the crown this should still be a great watch. See you next week!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Why do you think getting rid of Nicki would help the ratings? My impression is that she's widely perceived as one of the few breaths of fresh air this season.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
She doesn't sit well with the housewife demographic, and anecdotally every single person I know who watches Idol skipped this season because of her presence. Now, that might just be my demographic (25-35 in the Midwest) but her personality/appearance grates on people. I love her to pieces and think she's the best part of the show that isn't Candice Glover, but I'm not about to pretend that her appeal is universal, which isn't a good fit for an ancient franchise like Idol. People don't like change or new things.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Why did Blake and Usher poo poo all over Sasha Allen tonight?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mons Hubris posted:

Why did Blake and Usher poo poo all over Sasha Allen tonight?

Her vocals suffered at the expense of her obviously intense emotional connection to the song. Ursh and Blake were making GBS threads on Adam more than anything.

Swon Brothers finally impressed me tonight. Kris Thomas did the opposite.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I have to think Garrett is gone, since Shakira seems to be his only fan. After that it's Vedo or Kris Thomas, both of whom did fine but were pretty dull. Josiah would be my ideal other elimination, but that is admittedly because I can't stand his face.

Right now I think Amber is my favorite to win the whole thing.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
America got it right. Garrett was horrible and Shaki must be kicking herself for letting Karina go. Special thanks to NBC for replaying last night's show so I could see a no-frills version of the first 30 minutes :) Holly was freaking amazing.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I love the Swon brothers and Michelle. And Danielle is as cute as a button. :3: But that Scream mask face from the Swon Brothers... will haunt me. :gonk:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah, I think the right people got eliminated tonight. Vedo has one of the more impressive tragic backstories but was brought down by poor song choice, and Garrett got two rounds farther than he had any business advancing. I was pleasantly surprised that Holly didn't get lost in the country shuffle and managed to survive. I like pretty much everyone who is left, and if Josiah gets eliminated next week I'll be set.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

hollylolly posted:

I love the Swon brothers
I didn't think fans of the Swons existed!

America got it right, but I really hope Michelle wins it all. She's my favorite this season.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Why does everyone like Karina? She has no presence, no personality, no vocal talent. I'll grant her that she did something I thought was impossible and made a Lenny Kravitz song even more boring. But that's not a reason to keep her on. What do you guys see in her? I don't get it.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Atticus Finch posted:

America got it right, but I really hope Michelle wins it all. She's my favorite this season.

I don't like country, but I think Danielle should win. Her voice just sounds radio-ready to me.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

Man me neither :stare:

I feel like Older Jedi Swon could be legit as a solo act but PadaSwon is awful.

Michelle is cool, I'd be down with Amber winning. Sasha Allen too, but she's just this year's Amanda, sadly.

Glad that Garrett is finally gone though, that friggin lip ring.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

I like their sound and I think they're funny. :blush:

eta: this doesn't mean I think they should win

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Welcome to the performance finale, both of you! We're in the 'Nok, and everything looks pretty okay. Seacrest remarks on the heaviness of everything involved and you guys I'm so happy I could cry, because tonight's show is only one hour!

ROUND ONE - THE INCREASINGLY POOR DECISIONS OF SIMON FULLER

Kree, "Angel": 7/10 Song Choice: D+ Let's get it out of the way that this is approximately the most overplayed sad song of the last 20 years, even among the other singles from Sarah MacLachlin's catalogue. Kree sang it with her clear tone and it was pretty, but is that enough against Candice? I'm guessing she kept herself from fully connecting to the song to keep from being overwhelmed. No judge critiques this round, I guess. Huzzah!

Candice, "Chasing Pavements": 7/10 Song Choice: C- Also not a great song for the truncated Idol format, and she didn't connect to the material if you ask me. It seems like the gigantic stage environment is swallowing the contestants up a little. Again, capably sung, not a note out of tune but given her run this season, it feels underwhelming. Mariah says nothing. Randy correctly calls Fuller out for boring, boring selections.

Round one's a draw. This is dull as dishwater. Maybe my expectations are too high? Whatever.

Carly Rae, "Lipsynched Horseshit": F- I feel dumb for kinda liking "Call Me Maybe" now. I feel like somehow I made this possible. Do you hear that sucking sound? That's the sound of millions of people tuning out to see what's good in repeats on another channel.

ROUND TWO: THE ORIGINAL SONGS, ALWAYS THE BEST PART OF THE FINALE

Kree, "All Cried Out": 6/10 Song: F Dear lord this song is horrible. I'm half-asleep. She is in no way engaged with the nearly passive-aggressive lyrics and the melody is totally uninteresting. Again, sung in tune with a nice tone is par for the course at this point, and there's nothing more than that here.

Candice, "I Am Beautiful": 8/10 Song: D Another crap song. There was a few interesting parts and obviously Candice sang them very well, but yet again she's not engaged with the material as much as I would expect at this point. And now there's horrible feedback happening as Nicki and Keith exchange platitudes.

Candice takes round two for trying just a little harder than Kree.

ROUND THREE - CONTESTANT'S CHOICE TO REPRISE... WAIT THEY'RE CLOSING WITH THIS?!

Kree, "Up to the Mountain": 8/10 Original Grade: 9/10 This was fine. It was the same as the first time, but without the spark of the first time - as usually happens during this round of the performance finale. The judges said something but I wasn't listening. I didn't remember her singing this before.

This is the worst Idol final I've ever watched. I didn't see season 2 or 3's finales but I'm pretty comfortable with this assessment.

Candice, "I Who Have Nothing": 10000+/10 Original Grade: 10+++/10 Starts the song a capella? Check. Single spotlight bathed in fog? Check. Outdoes herself with new runs and plays with the melody right where it needs it to be more, and better, than the first time? Check and checkmate. The only outstanding performance of the night, and how. It's funny to me that Jordin Sparks reprised this song during her season 6 finale as well, but Candice transcended that bit of trivia. The judges put her way over in what is likely their collective last gasp on this show.

Fun fact: Kree's summary montage sounds like one long song.

Well this is about as lopsided as finales get, and in the worst way. This was one long nap (with a brief moment of severe embarrassment courtesy of Carly Rae Jepsen ft/America) with one amazing performance to close the night. Wikipedia's page for this season has Candice listed as the winner, which is probably just saving time. Good job to Kree, but this one is all too easy to call. Does anyone watching this show see any other possible outcome?

SHOULD, WILL, AND MUST WIN: Candice Glover

See you tomorrow night! In the meantime, read this excellent post of suggestions for next season by Vulture's Dave Holmes. Tedgewick, wherever you are, I can't thank you enough for bringing Holmes to my attention.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 16, 2013

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

hollylolly posted:

I like their sound and I think they're funny. :blush:
:lol: Sorry, didn't mean it to sound critical. I just haven't heard a ton of positive things about them since the beginning of this season. Plus, I don't like who they beat out to get to this point. But the dude's Scream face was spot on.

Schiavona posted:

Sasha Allen too, but she's just this year's Amanda, sadly.
When I think of ringers brought in to "win" the competition (Jermaine Paul, Amanda Brown), I think Judith Hill.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Idol didn't get their annual finale bump at. all. In fact, not only was the show flat from week-to-week, the ratings were down by about half from last season. It still won the night but that was all but a given since none of the other networks really challenged it. Tomorrow night's finale is running against BBT's season finale and The Office's series finale, so we're probably going to see a lot of "all-time low" headlines Friday morning. If that happens, the writing's probably on the wall for Id--oh who am I kidding, it's still Fox's number one show. It'll get cancelled when the network goes off the air.

Atticus Finch posted:

When I think of ringers brought in to "win" the competition (Jermaine Paul, Amanda Brown), I think Judith Hill.

If they don't start giving her some more intimate and personal numbers and cut down on the bombast, she's going to be an early shock elimination.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
According to Wikipedia, "Following the episode, iTunes sales, which were counted in the final voting process, showed that eliminated Team Adam contestant Caroline Glaser appeared to have earned more votes than her teammate Judith Hill, who was credited on the show along with Amber Carrington as having received the most votes."

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

According to Wikipedia, "Following the episode, iTunes sales, which were counted in the final voting process, showed that eliminated Team Adam contestant Caroline Glaser appeared to have earned more votes than her teammate Judith Hill, who was credited on the show along with Amber Carrington as having received the most votes."

They only count the iTunes sales up to ten am in Tuesday though - I suppose it's possible the rest of her sales were after that cutoff? Still, I don't like the idea of the contest being rigged - even if it's laughable to assume that any reality contest isn't skewed somehow (legally of course) by production.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Maybe that's what Carson was addressing during the first part of the live results broadcast? Dammit I really like The Voice and I don't want to see it get sideswiped by controversy like this :(

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Candice will fall into mediocrity like the rest of them. All the women sounded horribly generic, and I literally could not tell their singing apart without actually looking. Another terrible year of American Idol in the bag.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just saw that little Randy Jackson montage on Idol a little bit ago (west coaster here) and the most surprising thing for me so far tonight is that they actually showed clips of Simon and not a split second of him from the back like they have been doing for little clips of past contestants. That was actually the most interesting thing I've seen on here tonight (I've been going back and forth between the actual interesting parts of Idol and old goon-translated episodes of Game Center CX on my 360, which has definitely passed the time well).

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who laughed at Jordan Sparks telling the guys that none of them have a chance of winning because none of them play the guitar. I thought that was hilarious. :shobon:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Here we go! The Top 10 group pre-recorded song was amazing. They weren't even trying to lip-synch correctly except for Janelle. Brilliant work, everyone!

Thanks for the reminder that this poo poo is two hours, Ryan.

It isn't The Band Perry's fault that the camerawork for their song was terrible, but oh boy was it ever. Is chorus line unison hopping a thing now? This was probably pretty exciting in the room but it didn't translate to television at all.

The conspiracy montage started off a little sluggish, picked up when Janelle was writing the notes wrong, and capped nicely with Jordin Sparks reminding them that none of them played guitar.

Obeast posted:

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who laughed at Jordan Sparks telling the guys that none of them have a chance of winning because none of them play the guitar. I thought that was hilarious. :shobon:

Yeah buddy :respek:

Boys auto-tuned pre-recorded medley was an absolute joke. Frankie Valli shows up to take revenge on the boys for loving up his songs. At least he's singing live. I think? During the last segment it sounded like a weird electronic kazoo was accompanying him.

Mariah Carey is apparently on a delay of some sort. Or she's doing an even worse job of lip-synching than the contestants. Either way this medley makes zero sense whatsoever and the production is loving up something fierce. I know she's a professional but even legends gotta breathe and she just isn't. Then they show a section of the crowd that gives no poo poo immediately afterwards. This was really jarring.

They've tightened up the sync a little bit better for Amber and Emeli. This is odd since Candice sang this song during the competition, but whatever. It's fine. The more shots they can have of Keith Urban rocking out in his judge's chair, the better.

Ford Filler segment. Yawn.

You can be mad at Psy all you want, the dude knows how to put on a show and work a crowd. This is the first thing that's woken me up tonight. Also at the end it sounded like the sample was saying "I'm a loving gentleman" and that tickled me.

Keith's getting a number obviously. We've got two hours to fill! Yet again it's pretty clear that this isn't being sung live. If there's one thing I've learned from this season, it's that I don't much care for Keith's musical output.

Well this is something of a dream duet between Candice and J-Hud. It sounds exactly as you might expect, but then the band drops out for Jennifer's stellar run, and Jennifer turns it over to Candice for a flawless run, then closes with a sweetheart harmony. Sublime stuff. Seek it out if you didn't watch.

The last person I ever would have expected to duet with Angie Miller has to be Adam Lambert, and yet here we are, and they complement each other marvelously. This is better than anything Angie's done all season during live performances. Jessie J's here! And I guess bald now. It's really awkward how they keep showing Angie's dances. I gotta say though, if this is was what Angie was capable of they really dropped the ball on her song choices. She easily could have made the finale if she had this energy level every week. And whoops Jessie J just made her the first success story of season 12 as she's going on tour with her in the UK to perform her single. Congratulations, Angie! You deserve it.

Judging the judges ended with Devin rocking a fake booty. That's all I have to say about that.

The crowd looks pretty bored. I don't blame them. Nicki's caught on her phone by Seacrest.

I can't understand why Travis Barker's there and I've never associated him with country or Idol but whatever. I won't complain about listening to a really good drummer be really bored for a few minutes. This is a good performance of a song I don't care for.

The Dawg Pound segment was embarrassing from start to finish. I guess they have to pretend that anyone gives a poo poo that he's going away. We're all just relieved, right? Wait, what? No, don't tell him the door is always open. It's closed, locked, and sealed.

Aretha live via satellite? Logistically this is probably a nightmare but it's pretty cool that they pulled it off.

PPP's song is here to accompany the season montage but not the man himself. He already put his time in earlier this season.

J.Lo ft/Pitbull for what feels like the hundredth time on the Idol stage. Is this even a new song? Oh who cares. At least it isn't boring. It seems rather long though... okay it's boring now that we're hearing the same breakdown for the 5th or 20th time.

I just noticed that we're TV-14 tonight. That's probably something that hasn't happened yet.

The Top 2 duet was largely representative of the season as a whole: well-sung and pretty sleepy.

And the winner is... Candice Glover. #CandiceWins popped up VERY quickly after that result. Lazaro's smacking gum like a total rear end in a top hat. Candice holds it together to do her single and it works a lot better this time even though she's fighting tears. Her story is amazing and it couldn't have happened during a worse season.

Time for a well-deserved break from this slog. See you next season with a clean slate of judges and minor tweaks that don't make anything better. Congratulations Candice!

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 17, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Christopher Irvine posted:

The last person I ever would have expected to duet with Angie Miller has to be Adam Lambert, and yet here we are, and they complement each other marvelously. This is better than anything Angie's done all season during live performances. Jessie J's here! And I guess bald now. It's really awkward how they keep showing Angie's dances. I gotta say though, if this is was what Angie was capable of they really dropped the ball on her song choices. She easily could have made the finale if she had this energy level every week. And whoops Jessie J just made her the first success story of season 12 as she's going on tour with her in the UK to perform her single. Congratulations, Angie! You deserve it.
I didn't watch Jessie J's part since I really don't care for her, but the Angie/Adam part actually got me interested in an actual performance segment since I was kinda rooting for Angie (even though it was obvious Candice had it in the bag), and Adam really was one of the the last constantly awesome Idol finalists way way back when he was on (there have been a few pretty decent people, but he still sticks out in my mind as being amazing). They actually seemed pretty great working together, which made me a little sad that they decided to go from Adam to Jessie J with Angie. :(

But yeah, outside of that, Jordan telling the guys that none of them had a chance due to a lack of guitar, and Psy (who is never not fun to watch IMO), this was a pretty boring finale and predictable result. I dunno why they didn't bring back some of the really bad people from the auditions since that used to be a tradition for past finales, but I remember those segments making fun of them (including giving them awards) were pretty entertaining... :shobon:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 17, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
VFTW made their farewell post and it's a pretty fun video tribute. They've been irrelevant for years, but I'll never forget the Sanjaya saga and what a sensation it became.

Voicenews: CeeLo and Xtina are coming back for the Fall cycle, and Shaki and Ursh will be back next Winter. I approve of this announcement.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

gently caress that, Christina was such a catty bitch all last season. They should bring back Cee-Lo but replace Christina with another female vocalist.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah they can replace her. I was mostly pleased about the other three.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Schiavona posted:

gently caress that, Christina was such a catty bitch all last season. They should bring back Cee-Lo but replace Christina with another female vocalist.

If she comes back I want Tony Luca to co-host or somehow be there to irritate her every show.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well, this is going to be disappointing when Josiah moves on.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'd say Josiah definitely deserves to go, and even though I like them I think the Swon Brothers are gone too. Judith Hill and Kris Thomas are both in the "I know they're talented but they haven't blown me away" category, while Sarah Simmons is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
News nobody cares about : Our new judges for The X Factor are Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio. I guess Rowland was a judge on UK XF a few years back, and Rubio's cutting her teeth in preparation to judge on the upcoming La Voz Kids in Mexico. I don't know how much of a draw they're going to be stateside, but it gave me an excuse to update the OP so yeah.

Oh yeah and there's a new limited-run celebrity singing show that's going to show up soon with Debbie Gibson, Darrell Hammond (?) and TVIV Darling John Barrowman as judges, with contestants featuring Jon Lovitz (oh that's why), Sebastian Bach, Lisa Rinna, a hockey player named Landry Fields and someone called China Anne McClaine. This sounds too bad to possibly miss out on, and it's only 6 episodes and will probably air during the winter doldrums so I'll be there.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 21, 2013

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

I'd say Josiah definitely deserves to go, and even though I like them I think the Swon Brothers are gone too. Judith Hill and Kris Thomas are both in the "I know they're talented but they haven't blown me away" category, while Sarah Simmons is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Last night was the first time I liked a Swon Bros song. I was quite surprised.

It'd be nice if at the end of the show they did a quick 15 second recap of each performer. I feel like people like Judith are going to get screwed because they went early.

I want to see Holly and Kris go, but who knows what'll happen.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
My best guess is a combination of Holly/Josiah/Kris.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I think Judith's gone in a shocker. Colton deserves to go. Kris really improved over last week so he's safe. Michelle was my favorite of the night, really impressive considering who she followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

According to the Itunes charts, Josiah and Kris are in the most danger. Danielle finished in the top 10, so this might be the week that carries her to the end Cassadee Pope-style.

This result would also leave the Swon Brothers as the only male competitors left, not to mention reducing the new coaches' teams down to one each while Blake and Adam keep their full contingent.

Edit: Nailed it. I think the right two went home tonight.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 22, 2013

• Locked thread