Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I remember why I don't watch this show now, I'm way too prone to sympathetic embarrassment. There has been more than one moment I either hid my face or had to fast forward through something. That's part of why I like The Voice, everyone we see is already vetted and is at least half way decent enough to not be made a mockery of.

I feel bad for Keith. He's just a regular dude sitting between two psychos. He should have stayed on The Voice Australia. I do laugh at Nikki rolling her eyes every time someone comes in and says how much they love Mariah. We hear it every other contestant so you know it's said a million times a day. I don't know why she'd be surprised though. Mariah has been around forever and is legitimately a legend, even if she's not your cup of tea. The horrid, fake British accents need to stop though.

I really hope Johnny Keiser goes home early, I agree, he was loaded as gently caress. Looks like he has been for awhile too. I loved the guy that stuttered and I'm on team Kaz Ban all the way.

Sigh...one day I'll stop watching these horrid shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

raditts posted:

In past years I could be bothered to at least watch the audition phase because I guess I'm the opposite of KilGrey and love watching people making asses of themselves overestimating their own talent, but I think I'm done with the season after watching half of the first episode. It's just so boring now, I couldn't find anything to root for or mock about the contestants and the judges barely have a personality between the four of them.

I don't mind the cocky assholes getting brought down a peg or two, but there are always a few people that you can tell are just kinda clueless and fragile and my heart kinda hurts for them.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Christopher Irvine posted:

I'm optimistic for the season, somehow.

Famous last words.

Then again I can't imagine it being worse than XFactor.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Between that, Zoanette, and the heartwarmingly mediocre CF kid I just don't even know what the gently caress was going on this episode.

I couldn't believe that CF kid was 16. He looked like he was 12 at most. Does CF cause you to not go through puberty?

And Zoanette...why? Do they think they can't create a big enough train wreck in Hollywood week without her? I feel bad for whoever has to be her roommate.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

It seems like they are going to try to rig it hard for a girl win this year. Seems like they realize unless they do that they'll never overcome the 'Boyfriend Idol' train.

I still feel bad for Keith. He's the only one of the 4 that seems like an actual real, normal human being and he's in the middle of the insane asylum.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 15, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I feel like Zonette is a practical joke everyone is in on but me. What the Christ. I couldn't understand a drat word of her performance. She sounded and looked like a possessed Daffy Duck.

Why the gently caress am I still watching this show? I'm going to blame you, Christopher Irvine, for lack of anyone else.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 28, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I didn't entirely disagree with the judges last night save for maybe one or two and I wasn't that married to those two anyway.

I actually really liked Burnell and how he moves. Yeah, it was a bit weird but it was natural movement to him. I appreciate that much more than the over dramatic and rehearsed/staged movements a lot of the people have.

I really, really like Lazaro. I think I'm being affected with what I'm sure every other girl who is going to pile on votes for him is. He has this adorable lost puppy thing going on and you want to hug and protect him. He's a good contender for Fantasy Boyfriend too. I think part of his problem last night was exactly what Mariah pointed out, he got really emotional when they were showing his video and was welling up when they cut back to him to sing. If I were on the show I'd hate to have that stuff playing when I'm about to go on stage.

I also really loved the last guy whose name I can't remember. I enjoyed that song slowed down much better than the original.

I really wish Turbanator had been better and gone through. I think it would have been good for someone of that ethnicity and religious background to be on the show and educate Amurica a bit that brown+turban != terrorist. And he seemed like a cool dude.

It's weird they are cutting ten next week. Top ten is who goes on tour and it usually takes longer to get to that number. I'm guessing they extended the auditions because these shows always lose viewers after the auditions.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 1, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Obeast posted:

Holy gently caress, I think Charlie might kill someone if he doesn't get through... :ohdear:

My boyfriend and I voted him "most likely to bring a gun to the studio and go postal". I honestly feel bad for the kid and I'm kinda pissed at the judges. It was obvious from his first audition, and just became more obvious as the show went on, he's the weird kid that always got bullied and doesn't have a single drop of self-esteem. They didn't need to tear him apart as bad as they did. They should have pulled back a bit the moment they saw him cracking and falling apart.

As much as I hate Zoanette I'm irritated for how they went after her too. Zoanette has been awful since her first audition and the only reason they put her through was so she could be wacky on TV. Now that we are down to brass tacks they cut her off at the knees after always praising her bad performances, even though she's been consistent the whole time.

So, no real shocks on who made the final 10. I'm happy with who made it. The only person I'm 'meh' over is the country girl they brought out first. I can't even remember her name. I'm really happy Angie, Amber, Candice and Kree got through and I'm happy for the guys as well. Especially Lazaro. He wont win, but I'm glad he's getting to stay around awhile. I laughed when Randy said, "It's the girls season to lose and I haven't said that in awhile". You've said that every year for the last 6 seasons, dude. I will say that a girl has the best shot of winning than they've had in awhile though.

I'm glad they are all going to be performing together now and aren't separated by gender. I don't know what it is, but I'm always more interested in hearing the guy singers. My boyfriend teases me that it's because I'm a straight female so of course I like the guys better but I don't believe that. I don't find any of the guys attractive on this show and I'm too old for Fantasy Boyfriend. Maybe the guys sing more varied songs than the girls do? I dunno, does that make sense?

I will admit though, every time Keith Urban says "baby", it does something funny to my girlie parts.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 9, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

The top 3 girls were one billion percent correct. Those three murdered it last night. My god Candice, can she just win right now? I think I watched her performance at least five times last night.

I'm okay with Lazaro in fourth for now. He won my heart with his vulnerable puppy dog thing. I don't want him to win but there is still other cannon fodder for the moment to make keeping him okay to me.

I'm shocked as hell anyone, let alone multiple people, sang a Scotty Mcreary song. He's at the bottom of the idols list to me. (i don't count Taylor Hicks because I consider him an awesome troll and it was worth it just to see how baffled and incredulous Simon was at his win).

I'm honestly shocked Curtis went home because he's the only one in that genera so I figured he'd clean up those votes for a bit while the others were spreading votes between them. And I liked him. It really should have been Devon.

And while Jenelle Harris isn't the sort of music I'd listen too, I think she's adorable as all hell. She takes to the camera really well.

Edit: also, Christopher, I love your write ups. Even if I don't post in the thread I always come back to read them after the show. Hell, sometimes during. I need something to do while Devon performs.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 15, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm sorry I abandoned you guys. The Voice came back on this week and I happily forgot Idol existed. Are you gonna make a Voice thread Christopher or should we make this one an all inclusive singing competition thread? I'll be interested to see how the ratings fall between these two shows.

Edit: I just heard an Adam Lambert song on the radio and it made me remember when the Idol threads would move so fast you couldn't keep up with them.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 28, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'd just have a mod change the name of this thread and put a link to the start of the page with the all inclusive stuff on it first thing in the OP.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I really like Usher and Shakira too. I'm fine with Christina never coming back. She just always came off as a self centered shrew. I hope Tony Luca sends her Christmas cards every year just to annoy her. I found it funny as hell that all her contestants got eliminated last season. Serves her right for picking nothing but interchangeable girls that reminded her of herself. Shakira is a vast improvement, I hope she stays.

I really liked Midas Whale and I think Adam will be a good coach for them. Judith Hill was awesome however I have a bad feeling she's going to fall out early for some reason. I also find it odd that she hasn't gotten a record deal before. While it sounds honorable that she didn't want to take peoples calls after Michael Jacksons funeral, I don't think it would have been bad form if she did. She just sang in front of every big name in the music industry, nothing wrong with taking that opportunity as long as they are recognizing your talent and not just trying to pimp you as "the girl who sang at MJ's funeral."

The XF is the only place I know Demi Lavato from. I might recognize a song or two of hers if you played it. I just feel like she's kind of limited in who she can mentor. If I were one of the Over 30s I'd feel weird having someone half my age as my mentor. From what I understand (and could very well be wrong) she hasn't really spread her wings past a Disney show and one album? Just seems odd for her to be giving advice to people who have been working and trying to make it in the industry almost as long as she's been alive. I'm sure LA left because he knew the show was a train wreck and didn't want to be a part of it anymore. And Britney...she was a train wreck all in her own right. Her eyes are so vacant. It's like she's been so commercialized from being in the industry so long that she doesn't know how to have independent thought anymore, not that she was ever that bright to begin with. I can't really even laugh at her, it's just sort of sad. How did the XFactor do ratings wise?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Nice new OP! :) Thanks for going through the trouble of remaking it. I also had heard the Sing Off was canceled, I'm glad it's not. I'm a sucker for Acapella groups. I blame Where In The World is Carmen San Diego.

The Voice UK also started last week. No huge stand outs yet. Isn't X-Factor UK pretty successful? Why is it managing well there but not here?

Should American Idol be taken out of the thread title or maybe change it to Singing Competitions: etc? If I were scanning through threads and saw "American Idol: words words words" I'd assume the thread was still just American Idol.

Probably doesn't matter and I'm just being pedantic and should shut up.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 2, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'd PM someone since yeah it's a bit confusing but I don't have PMs :(

I can PM Aatrek for you. You should also have PMs, Mister. I may have an extra gift cert laying around I could send you.

RE: the Voice tonight - how the hell did no one turn around for Sam? Maybe because he sang "Feelin' Good", a song that's become seriously overplayed on singing shows ever since Lambert elevated it in Idol 8? I was seriously confused. Either way I'm so ingratiated by how much FUN the judges are having.

If I'm being objective, he had a good voice. However that's one of the songs that I absolutely can't stand to hear sung in these competitions anymore. I feel like it's a song contestants are always using at home, at Karaoke bars, in front of girls etc to try to impress people. Like they are actively thinking, "This will blow them away!" but all the really do is try to mimic Michael Buble's phrasing and tone. Then everyone does swoon because they either don't know any better or because they are in a non-objective setting. Then they come into the auditions over confident and don't sing it to the level that it should be sung.

Yeah, that's a lot of personal projection and words to just say, I don't think people ever sing it as well as the original.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 3, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I tweeted him tonight, so no worries. Thanks though!

Oops, already did. I acted too fast, should have waited for you to respond. Sorry, hopefully he's not irritated. :(

Haven't watched tonight's episode yet, just finished last nights. I really liked that nerdy, introverted girl that sang I Kissed a Girl. I'd like to see where she can go. The guy who went last, the country guy, I didn't find him to be as amazing as everyone else made him out to be. :confused:

Nobody has completely wowed me yet, hopefully they're waiting until the last few episodes to pack in all the really good people. Still better than most seasons of Idol though.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I agree, I like the Battle Rounds if it's an actual good pairing but more often than not you can see the judges trying to manipulate the teams. Like purposely putting someone in as canon fodder for someone they really like, which backfired last season on Cee-lo when he paired Amanda and Trevin together. Thank God they included the save so we got to see more of Amanda. Her blind audition wasn't that great so he wasn't expecting her to tear it up in the Battle Rounds. The Battle Rounds is the time you can definitely see the judges start to play favorites. The save does make it much better though.

I also hope they don't do the public voting rounds by couch again and do it like they did last year where highest votes go through. I still think they way they multiply itunes sales as 10x votes is sketchy as hell though. It wouldn't be so bad if the multiplier wasn't so high but it can definitely gently caress with the results. You might get more votes for someone but if another person makes more itunes sales you're out. I guess from a business perspective it makes sense, they want someone whose been proven to sell but it sucks from a viewer stand point. I'd rather them do their sketchy business stuff behind the scenes where I'm blissfully unaware.

I just caught up with the newest episode. I really liked the long haired redheaded guy, if for no other reason than he reminds me of Budnick from Salute Your Shorts. :neckbeard: Also really enjoyed the guy who sang Walking in Memphis. I might be biased though because that is one of my all time favorite songs and I'm a sucker for a deep raspy voice.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

This is really stupid but it tickled my tummy to bits, because I have far to much time on my hands I've been watching The Voice UK and The Voice Australia. On the US and UK version the chairs turn counter clockwise but on the Australia version they turn clockwise. I don't know if they did that on purpose or not but I giggle a little every time a chair turns.

Also, since Keith abandoned The Voice Australia they replaced him with Ricky Martin. Needless to say drat near every girl he turns for picks him, much to the irritation of the other judges.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm so relieved Lazaro is gone. Not because I hate Lazaro or anything, but I think it just would have been plain cruel to him to leave him in the competition. I know all the little girls had their crush, but they weren't doing him any favors voting for him. They were essentially just setting him up to be mentally and emotionally eviscerated every week. When he made it over Burnell last week and walked over to the group not one person congratulated him or even acknowledged him, they were all in tears over losing Burnell. He just kind of shuffled over and awkwardly stood there alone off to the side. The last few weeks I think the person most upset to see Lazaro go through was Lazaro.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 12, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Kree Harrison: "All By Myself",

If you were to ask me what song I hated more than any other in the universe, to the point I will run screaming from the room so I don't have to hear it, it would be this one. I don't care what golden throated canary sings it, I'll want to cut their vocal cords. I don't know why this song hits my irritation zone so directly but it does.

gandlethorpe posted:

Amber Holcomb: "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going",

Amber is good but I'd rather hear Candice sing this. She'd tear it to shreds and we'd all be going J-Hud, who?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm really hoping your list is the wrong one. Or that Candice worked some magic and flipped those songs to be completely different because I'm as baffled as you. Straight Up? Really?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Joel Madden is actually really good on The Voice Australia. He's very knowledgable about lots of different genres and enthusiastic. I think it was a smart pick for Shakira. She's been in the business long enough and has enough musical know how on her own to coach the contestants but Joel gives her someone who has done The Voice before and can help guide her with that. It kind of evens the playing field between her, Adam and Blake.

The Voice Australia has a good couching panel and they get along better than any of the other casts. The UK show can be pretty snarky to down right mean to each other.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Holy crap. I just watched an episode of the UK voice and this chick got a 4 chair turn and then took over 30 minutes to pick a coach. She just stood up there sputtering "um..er...you're all so nice...um...I don't know what to do" for over half an hour. I don't think any of the coaches cared by the end of it.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 25, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Schiavona posted:

gently caress that, Christina was such a catty bitch all last season. They should bring back Cee-Lo but replace Christina with another female vocalist.

If she comes back I want Tony Luca to co-host or somehow be there to irritate her every show.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Shakira mangle her words and colloquialisms all she wants, she's still cute as a button.

Danielle is so loving generic it hurts. Yes, she can sing, but she's blander than vanilla. She's young and will probably get more nuanced as she gets older but I don't think she should win. I'm sure will do fine in the country market, even as she is right now, but this competition was made for people like Michelle.

I also want her to win for Ushers sake. I've really, really been impressed with him as a couch. I've always liked his music but I've never pictured him as a mentor. Yeah, he does have Justin Beiber under his belt, for what he's worth, but I figured it was more of a "I could make money off this kid, sign him to my label, let me people deal with him, take the credit" sort of thing. But he appeared to take this whole thing really seriously and invested a lot of his energy into it and helped Michelle. I have nothing to base this on, but he really seemed more hands on than the other coaches.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

X-Factor officially starts 9/11/2013 - Who else is masochistic enough to watch with me?

I...I don't know if I have it in me. I just now finished the season finale if the voice. I might watch the auditions to see how the new judges are but I'll more than likely bail after that. Who do they have taking over for L.A. again? I basically just want to see if the train wreck can get worse. It's hard to imagine a train wreck worse than Idol this season but I know X-Factor can do it. The Voice really is the only singing competition I think I can stomach any more.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Keith Urban is the male version of J.Lo when it comes to critiques. So the two of them and dude I've never heard of...yeah, I think I'm done.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Obeast posted:

I thought Keith was okay, especially when compared to the other three. He was definitely one of the better judges they've had ever since Simon and Paula left (and even during the Simon/Paula era when they had Ellen and Kara(?)), so I'm kinda happy to have him back. :shobon:

I thought he was too nice. That could also be because he was sitting next to Nikki who had no issue eviscerating someone. (I'm pretty sure the kid that stutters is going to be in therapy for the rest of his life.)

Obeast posted:

I do wish they could have a past Idol contestant who ended up being successful like Adam Lambert or Carrie Underwood judge since they have a really good idea of what the contestants are going through (especially in the early live shows when the contestants are nervous as hell) and could give pretty valid critiques/praise/ideas for the following week.

This would probably be the only thing that could have gotten me back.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

ltr posted:

Kelly Rowland was good on the UK X Factor. But with only 4 actual auditions so far who can tell.

I caught a few episode of her on the UK show and the only thing I can remember of it was how obvious it was she and the other female judge hated each other.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Wizardryo posted:

Here's Bella Ferraro singing "Skinny Love" during her XFAU audition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3lMTyIjXo

This is so beautiful. Probably my favorite cover of this song.

Wizardryo posted:

THIRD D3GREE debuting during Arena Bootcamp with "No Diggity." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n8o8ESkV2k

This on the other hand is horrible.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

I skim-watched the first half of XF USA's chair episode and only had two thoughts the entire time.

1) I wish we had a version of this in S1 with Nicole Scherzinger and Steve Jones, I'd love to watch her take aching vain minutes to make every little decision, she'd have looked so pained and on the verge of tears even when deciding to put her first contestant on an empty chair. Steve would be apoplectic and rip his earpiece out to bellow into Nicole's face.

Why the hell is she still allowed on these shows? She's absolutely horrible!!! Whenever she goes to judge or make a decision she get this completely vacant, lost look on her face and you can almost see the air breezing through her ears. I can't recall her ever saying anything if depth or intelligence either on XF or Sing Off. Not to mention, like you said, it takes her hours to make her choices. Either that or she wouldn't shut up. I actually felt bad for Steve trying to host and direct the the flow of the show around her. I'm surprised he didn't scream at her at least once.

shadow puppet of a posted:

2) the audience storms the stage over a bad cut like they showed when Diana Karazon won her qualifier season in Pan-Arabian idol to make it onto World Idol.

Whoa, what? For reals? Is there video of this?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

The final 3 will probably be Adam vs Adam vs Adam because his team is stupid strong.

Adams teams alway seem super strong then flame out early.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Just finished watching the last season of The Voice UK. I can't believe that little blind girl won. The best part was the look on all the coaches faces when her name was announced, even her own coach. Danny looked so awkward jumping out of his chair to cheer. What the hell UK?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm really glad Blake saved Nic Hawk, I couldn't stop looking at him. He might not have the best voice but I really really like him.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I really likes Lyric 145. Especially the girl, she reminded me if MC Lyte.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Lyric 145 was a wet fart compared to Astro and were the death of hip-hop artists making an impact on XFUSA.

But yeah I liked them too.

I don't blame them for that though. Simon should never be allowed to touch anything hip-hop.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I also never want to hear Midnight Train to Georgia ever EVER again on a singing show. That's another one that gets reused every "Motown Week".

So I just finished watching season 3 of The Sing-Off. This show is so loving fantastic. These people can actually sing and I think Ben Folds is the best singing competition judge out off every show ever. He's funny, he can be critical without being a dick and he understands music both as an art form and from a technical, studied level.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I really liked the long haired air force kid on Cee-lo's team. There is something so wonderfully '90s about him to me.

I've also meant to say, I'm so glad that sharpie dinner plate design on Cee-lo's head wasn't a preferment tattoo. Bring back fanciful animals instead!

Ironic Twist posted:

Amanda Brown had a few showstopping performances. So did Sarah Simmons, Nicholas David, Judith Hill, Cody Belew, Michelle Chamuel, hell even Cassadee had an on week that one time. Honestly, to me it seems like the contestants on TVUSA have always been miles ahead of the ones on AI or XFUSA (the seasons airing at the same time, anyway). No one on the Voice, even at their worst, has ever pulled a Lazaro and not known what a key change was.

I agree, TVUSA is the best out of the crop of singing shows. It's funny that it's different in different countries, I didn't realize until this thread that it was a hated show in the UK. I think TVAUS is pretty okay. Any Aussies around to confirm how well it does in your country? I really liked Karise Eden. It is kind of funny only one of the judges is Australian though.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Yeah, there is no country boy band right now. I've honestly stopped watching USXF and am relying on you two to recap for me. I can't bring myself to care for an hour to watch the show.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I don't know where all The Voice hate is coming from, it's a million times better than XF and AI.

Also, Pentatonix is amazing, gently caress I'm in love with Avi's bass: http://youtu.be/3MteSlpxCpo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

No Shups, I'm out! You will not sway me back into watching AI with that adorable sizzle real! :colbert:

• Locked thread