Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Veotax posted:

The GMG page for Xcom 2 lists 2K games as the source for the keys, so they probably are an authorised distributor for this game.

Also they list the pre-order DLC as included. When GMG sends their keys out probably depends on when 2K sends them out. There is little reason for GMG to hold the keys back, it's not like you'll be able to play the game earlier if you get the key earlier.
Oh right, they actually do list the pre-order bonus on the GMGstore page so that seems like it should OK, I didn't mean to scare people :)

I just felt really burned when pre-ordering Battlefront from them, but my love of XCOM and my love of discounts has me giving them a second chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I got my Rise of the Tomb Raider key today from GMG (it releases tomorrow) and it included pre-order stuff for Steam. They've always been good for me, though of course it's only from personal experience.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Was the recent Long War patch significant? I just started a new game after not playing for over a year so I'm curious what I'm in for.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Was the recent Long War patch significant? I just started a new game after not playing for over a year so I'm curious what I'm in for.

If it's been over a year then you were probably coming from some flavor of Beta 14. Beta 15 (and V1.0) have some very significant changes.

Look here for the changes that debuted in Beta 15 and later.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Affi posted:

So can I turn off ironman in long war? I've just spent so much time now that if a save fucks up I'll cry

Yeah. Use the console, setmedalpowerA and then whatever number ironman is should do the trick.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Affi posted:

So can I turn off ironman in long war? I've just spent so much time now that if a save fucks up I'll cry

You reeaaallly shouldn't have ironman on with a bloaty mod like that. Use the honor-system ironman so you can reload in case of crashes or glitchy bullshit.

For some reason, about half of every time one of my xcoms gets maimed and falls down, his or her bleeding body gets flung into the sky and can't be hit or stabilized by a medic standing next to their tile. When I save and re-load, the squaddie body falls down from the heavens and flops around a little and I can revive it again. Shrug.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CrazyLoon posted:

To clarify, you download the game FIRST via Steam and the order number you get 3-4 days in advance and THEN you input the key to unlock it on the date of release. It won't work before that date, but you will have downloaded the game already so you won't have to wait on that. At least, I think that's how it went with Enemy Unknown and it definitely allowed me to preload it, but it was 3 years ago and I could be misremembering the details, so Iron Rose will prolly know more on this than me.

This is not nor has ever been how Steam works :v:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like mentioned earlier, Green Man Gaming has changed their policies in a number of ways since the last few years, which includes not giving keys for most games ahead of time, and thus not enabling pre-loading. Actually, I am not even sure if you will qualify for the pre-order bonus content, since I know that for "authorised distributor" keys they actually source a lot them the day of release so they are not technically pre-order even if you pay GMG ahead of time.

Pre-orders are hit or miss on GMG, but they mention the pre-order bonuses in the store page. Usually if they do that it means they're pretty sure they'll have the pre-order bonuses.

Whats really shady is sometimes GMG sells keys and just says its the game and half the people get pre-order bonuses and half don't, just have to treat it as a 'nice to have' but nothing that was guaranteed.

Like I said before, GMG isn't steam. That said the store page says they're getting XCOM2 keys straight from the distributor so the pre-order should be good I think.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

GMG have always had the same policy for pre-loading- they'll give them out if they get given them by the publisher. For the last few 2K releases they have gotten keys before release and I see nothing that suggests otherwise for XCOM 2.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Zaphod42 posted:

This is not nor has ever been how Steam works :v:

Okay, you got me.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Pre-orders are hit or miss on GMG, but they mention the pre-order bonuses in the store page. Usually if they do that it means they're pretty sure they'll have the pre-order bonuses.

I made this mistake once and they were perfectly happy to refund my purchase when I just said "Woops, sorry, I didn't see you guys weren't offering the pre-order bonuses, my mistake!"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I would normally not mind getting the key on release date but if this game really is 45 gigs, I would need at least a day to download the game, geez

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As long as we get the pre-order bonus I'll be okay at least. I mean they do advertise it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think I'm losing the war in my longest war campaign.

I keep just losing nations in the middle of the month. Aren't they supposed to leave at the end? I mean it can't all be the overseers?

I guess I still have a solid roster and after a Base assault, landed assault carrier and landed supply barge I have resources out of my rear end and quite s few foundry projects coming in. Way too many injured after those missions though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I would normally not mind getting the key on release date but if this game really is 45 gigs, I would need at least a day to download the game, geez

Pretty sure the 45GB listed is just how much hard drive space you need to install the game, which also includes the space needed to unpack game files. Basically the actual download size won't actually be 45GB and will potentially be significantly smaller.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...&authorName=why

Has this been done yet? I assume it has.

If not, why does this mash up so well.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Rookersh posted:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...&authorName=why

Has this been done yet? I assume it has.

If not, why does this mash up so well.

Not really. Better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJ7eCiWY7M

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I remember when Max Payne 3 came out and everyone was HOLY poo poo 30GB

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

I remember when Max Payne 3 came out and everyone was HOLY poo poo 30GB

And they were right because IIRC it was mostly multiple copies of uncompressed pre-rendered cutscenes that only had the subtitles/language changed.

It took me a an entire week (~72 hours, can't use the internet while downloading) to download GTA V. PC gaming blows when you have bad internet.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 28, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't want to be spoiled too much so I'm just looking for a yes or no answer. In the preview material we definitely know what happens to a few of the characters from XCOM1, but have they mentioned anything about Vahlen

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't want to be spoiled too much so I'm just looking for a yes or no answer. In the preview material we definitely know what happens to a few of the characters from XCOM1, but have they mentioned anything about Vahlen

No.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

VDay posted:

Pretty sure the 45GB listed is just how much hard drive space you need to install the game, which also includes the space needed to unpack game files. Basically the actual download size won't actually be 45GB and will potentially be significantly smaller.

Eh? My general Steam experience is that it's the opposite: the listed hard drive space is what the final game will take up. and isn't the space the compressed files that have been downloaded (and the space required for that is doubled for decryption if one is preloading) takes up.

Like I think GTA V was a noticeable demonstrator of this since even its compressed download size was 59GB out of the 65GB required, so those that pre-loaded found out they needed over 100GB free for Steam to successfully decrypt the game and make it functional. It's possible Firaxis will have much better compression on XCOM 2 for whatever reason, but personally I'd rather not take any chances.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks!

Yeah, on the hard drive space issue the original XCOM store page says 20 gigs, which is how big the directory on my hard drive is. the XCOM2 page says 45. I guess the assets must be of much higher quality/quantity!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I was mixing some things up, but point stands that the actual download should be smaller than the 45GB listed, which is what the person was worried about. Granted, it might be like a 43GB download instead of 45, but still.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The map generator assets have got to be pretty fuckin beefy

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I finally finished EW for the first time with about a week to spare. Not a bad final level but it ended up being very anticlimactic for me. I got into the final room with the Ethereals and the Mutons, started setting up along the railing, got all my psychic defenses in place, fired a rocket... and then my sniper with 120 Aim got a critical headshot on the final boss and killed it in one hit.

Psionics are really fun to play with, I'm excited that they're gonna be a major part of the second one.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Will there be a mapmaker?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

amuayse posted:

Not as far as we know, maps are randomly generated this time.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Rochallor posted:

I finally finished EW for the first time with about a week to spare. Not a bad final level but it ended up being very anticlimactic for me. I got into the final room with the Ethereals and the Mutons, started setting up along the railing, got all my psychic defenses in place, fired a rocket... and then my sniper with 120 Aim got a critical headshot on the final boss and killed it in one hit.

Psionics are really fun to play with, I'm excited that they're gonna be a major part of the second one.

This is the proper ending.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

Not as far as we know, maps are randomly generated this time.

Actually they did say you could make static maps and the random generator uses pre-made setpieces you can make in the UDK they'll provide.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Not allowing for static custom maps would let a lot of air out of the TC / story mods they're trying to facilitate

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!
Re: Greenmangaming.

I purchased the game after getting the 27% off code. When I went to the check out, I noticed it was $80 and assumed that it was $AUD since it was selling me an ANZ code and that's about what you'd expect for a 27% discount on a $110 game..

It wasn't and I paid $80 US for a 27% discounted copy of a game that I can get for $75 US on steam.

At least we can use this as a case study on how good they are at refunds I guess.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Yes - 2K games have poo poo awful pricing for ANZ on GMG - they're usually way more expensive than the US price AND they charge in USD rather than AUD or NZD.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Yeah for any other ANZ buyers take a look at ozgameshop or just go straight from steam, GMG is pretty fukt for us now

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I got a mate of mine in the states to buy me the game and season pass from GMG.

Think it came to about 80 aud that way?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I got it from G2A for 53 AUD, but G2A's pretty shifty from what I've heard. So I don't know if I'll even end up with it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Ideally, a South American goon would buy it from Nuuvem at half the price.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Ragingsheep posted:

Ideally, a South American goon would buy it from Nuuvem at half the price.

Sadly, since last monday their XCOM 2 keys only activate in Brasil, but if you bought the game before that the keys are supposed to be region free.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

amuayse posted:

All the tools that were used to make the game will be publicly released. That includes their UnrealEd, so custom levels will be extremely possible.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Heliotic posted:

Re: Greenmangaming.

I purchased the game after getting the 27% off code. When I went to the check out, I noticed it was $80 and assumed that it was $AUD since it was selling me an ANZ code and that's about what you'd expect for a 27% discount on a $110 game..

It wasn't and I paid $80 US for a 27% discounted copy of a game that I can get for $75 US on steam.

At least we can use this as a case study on how good they are at refunds I guess.

They are fine with it as long as you have not got/used the key. I already refunded Xcom2 from them, took a day (decided to get the deluxe version instead when it was announced).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
Where did GMG say they wouldn't be giving out keys in time for pre-load? I had a look and couldn't find any statement from them saying this?

• Locked thread