Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I bought this game a week or so ago, and I'm loving it. I tried out classic to begin with, but was losing at least two or three soldiers per mission and bleeding out countries left and right, so I decided to drop back to normal to learn the basics. Now I'm about halfway through a normal run (I think? I've invaded the alien base and found the whosits or whatever it's called) and finding it a bit too easy. I hardly ever lose dudes, I think I've only lost 2 or 3 soldiers total and they were all rookies. I've got like 10 soldiers at pretty high levels, and everyone's rolling with plasma weapons and I've just finished researching titan armor. How far into the playthrough am I? Do you guys think it's worth finishing my normal run, or should I start a classic run instead now that I have a much better understanding of the basics of the game?

I'm planning on playing classic after this whether I finish this normal run or not, and I'm toying with the idea of playing on ironman too. I really like the idea of everything being final and having to deal with the consequences no matter how badly everything goes to poo poo, and not even having the temptation of savescumming as an option. My question is, how does ironman actually work in regards to glitches and stuff? I'm playing on 360, and so far I haven't seen any of the teleporting or whatever. I did have one mission where a muton had its turn and then the mission froze up. I couldn't have my turn, I couldn't get to the pause menu, and I ended up having to go back out to the Xbox dashboard and restarting the game. If I play on ironman and something like that happens am I absolutely hosed? Would that mean I'd have to start again all over from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I posted in this thread a while ago asking for advice on whether I should finish my first normal run (which I was finding too easy after the alien base) or stop and switch to classic immediately. I ended up finishing the normal run just to see the end video and stuff, and then jumped straight into classic ironman.

It's going okay so far. I lost at least 3 or 4 rookies in the first month or so to sectoids and thin men, and I had 4 or 5 countries bail out in the first two or three months. Since then I've managed to stabilize things pretty well, I have sattelite coverage on all the remaining countries except for one (which I've left open for abduction missions) and I've got a pretty strong squad with a few decent rookies waiting in the wings if poo poo hits the fan. Rolling with two double tap snipers, a 3 rocket heat ammo heavy, 2 supports (a medic and a combat support) and an assault. The assault and one of the supports are replacements - I lost my original ones in two missions in a row a month or so back. They're the only two troop losses since that initial rookie slaughterfest month. I'm really appreciating the missions that have an experienced soldier as a reward, after thinking they were worthless on my normal run.

Overall I'm really enjoying the switch to classic ironman. I don't regret playing normal first at all, but classic ironman is leaps and bounds more enjoyable now that I know what I'm doing. I'm having to really concentrate, employ different strategies, fall back quite often and panic like a motherfucker when poo poo goes pear shaped. I just assaulted the alien base without taking a scratch, and now I'm on a supply UFO mission. I spawned right outside the entrance, and I haven't been able to move even ten meters forward yet because every loving alien in the ship is just pouring out of it at my half cover starting position. It wasn't so bad at first when it was just sectoid commanders and floaters rushing out at me, but now that I've killed them I've just had a platoon of Mutons and a loving sectopod both come out together on the same turn. And half my dudes need to reload. I'm pretty sure they're not all supposed to be rushing out at me like this and it's a glitch, bit I'm on ironman and its loving tense as hell and I love it. Wish me luck!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Everyone talking about the slingshot missions made me bite the bullet and buy them last night. They're pretty cheap and I know exactly what I'm getting, so there's not much room for disappointment.

My first ever classic run (on ironman too) is getting pretty intense at this point. The aliens are fielding heavy Mutons or whatever they're called and shitloads of sectopods, and while I have a solid A team of six colonels, a few of my better rookies I was leveling up have died so I don't have many good soldiers waiting in the wings, and haven't had the funds to research and buy some shivs yet.

So when I finally built my psi labs and finished testing all the scrubs, I managed to test half of my A team all at once without having any missions pop up. Then I had the other half to test, and was really dreading a terror mission or something. Luckily a council mission popped up, and it was the first slingshot mission. Nothing but sectoids, thin men and one chrysallid (which actually turned out to be a lone muton for me... Is that a thing?) was exactly the kind of mission I needed at that point. I sent a bunch of scrubs in titans with plasmas without incident, and managed to finish testing my A team. Only one of them gifted... At least it's my assault I guess.

• Locked thread