Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Can you still do simple ini-fiddling to remove the startup cinematics and pausing when out of focus? I've lost track of what was moved where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Klyith posted:

Yes, in Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Config\XComEngine.ini search for "StartupMovies=" and delete those lines or ';' comment them out.

When I did that my settings reset to default resolution and such, so apparently it doesn't like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nephilm posted:

Has he participated in anything that's not social skinner boxes in the past 5 years?

Don't forget "steal other games and slap -ville on it."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

The way you play the rookies determines what class they get.

100% not true.

Starting squad is assigned one of each class, but they may not all survive.
If you have none of a class new promotions are *slightly* weighted toward it.
Otherwise it's an equal chance for every class. No heed is given to what the character does. If you level up by shooting a guy or picking your nose, same odds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Normal unlocks some Second Wave stuff that'll make Classic interesting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Any word on naming SHIVs yet? I want R2D2 and Johnny-5 scouting for my team of Alex Murphy, JC Denton, Alita and Hue.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Dear whoever is willing to listen,

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

-Dr. Shen

Engineer's log: I'm going to Hell, aren't I?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The three faces of A HORRIBLE THREE-FACED MUTANT KILL IT KILL IT!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god. Can regular sectoids buff up the mechatoid? :ohdear:

Yup. Mind-meld gives a shield to Mechtoids and doesn't kill both units when the sectoid's popped. You know, since it was doing a shield instead of a direct brainlink.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One "bug" (may or may not be intentional), mechs cannot talk to VIPs. I took the Portent mission with everyone wounded except twin Robocops, and couldn't do a drat thing. So I punched the guy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

LibbyM posted:

Does strangle outright kill you if you don't take it off that turn?

I believe it's 3 damage per turn.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Does One For All turn the MEC trooper into cover like an alloy SHIV, or does it also apply to the MEC itself? If the former I can't see getting it instead of jumpjets. If the lattar... I probably still won't get it instead of jumpjets, but it would cover their weakness pretty well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

WYA posted:

It's both

Ooo, that makes it a rather tough choice then; offset the mobility weakness or the defense one...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jumpjets earned their keep in hilarity in the first Exalt mission. Sniper spawns on the platform hanging over everything on the map? Hop up, punch the guy, hop down next turn to punch someone else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've noticed some glitches when shooting guys, they'll do a stagger hit and then die with splorching blood a second later. Similarly when getting upgrades like new satellites my HUD won't update with the new money per month until I change screens. Loading saves leaves corpses standing until the next round. All in all it seems to be updating events oddly. Has anyone else noticed this, maybe found a fix?

Also, is there a way to make the game not pause loading while in the background? I go to start a mission and tab to my browser by reflex, only remembering later it doesn't keep going.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One last room on the terror map, what's waiting for me?
Four hovering drones
Three crysalids
Two cyberdisks (and two floaters)
And a partridge in a pear tree.

:xcom:

I think I walked in on a game of alien sardines.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rascyc posted:

So I thought the tanker with the sharks/etc mission was the first Progeny mission, but it isn't. Does the tanker mission actually belong to a particular arc? I didn't seem to trigger that particular mission in my current game.

It's a "you said we should make Terror From the Deep instead of an expansion. Aren't you glad we didn't listen?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When I got a guy named Murphy I knew he was going in the can even if he hadn't been dealt good aim but bad training roulette abilities. Then the game gives me Lewis (Murphy's partner for uneducated plebes) as a reward from an abduction. If I hadn't nicknamed Murphy myself I'd assume I had stumbled on an easter egg instead of luck of the RNG.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Why would my Operative do this. :stonk:

He's one of them now. You know what you have to do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

uh zip zoom posted:

is it more advantageous to turn your less experienced soldiers into MEC, because it changes the class?

A Colonel-ranked Sniper will turn into a Colonel-ranked MEC. MECs seem to get XP slower and have terrible stat gains (if you're not playing with random stats on levelup) so it's often better to use someone of high rank with good stats but a redundant role.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Deleter posted:

So I've just started the first Progeny mission on Classic for the fourth time. What a crock. gently caress Thin Men and their crits and massive damage forever. How do I deal with it beyond memorising every drop location? There's just not enough cover for everyone to not get flanked.

MECs are so goddamn awesome though. Had a sniper spare, and well...

I'm going to colour my MECs the colour of the class they used to be. :allears:

Keep to the roofs with Overwatch up, go as slow as you need to, and don't be afraid to circle the wagons if someone needs to reload. There's no time limit and no meld, so no rush.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

khy posted:

XCom why do you never cease to amaze?

I was doing a covert ops mission. My Covert guy had just hacked two comm relays and was on his way to the extraction point. A sniper was covering the point from the roof, and my MEC Trooper was standing by nearby.

Two EXALT spawned near the extraction close to one another - one ran to a car, the other to a garbage can two spaces away. The MEC trooper moved up to the latter and used kinetic impact on him.

Now I KNOW how the rocket punch works. It hits the person AND a few spaces behind him to destroy cover. But that isn't what it looked like. What did it look like?

It looked like my MEC trooper punched the first EXALT so hard that the corpse blew backwards into the car and caused the loving car to blow up, killing the second EXALT. It looked like my giant biomechanical monster actually blew up a car with a dead body by punching it THAT loving HARD. Like something out of a Michael Bay movie or anime or something.

It looked glorious and beautiful.

On one map my MEC punched THROUGH a wall to hit a muton, who then flew into a car which blew up and killed a floater.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sectopod waiting for a bus.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

What happens if base defense pops and nobody's around to help? Everyone's in the hospital. Auto-loss? Delayed until someone's healed?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Out of curiosity how does deep pockets stack with that one skill that lets you use a medkit three times? Do you get six uses out of a medkit?

Just 4 I assume, combining it with Grenadier gives 3 not 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Speedball posted:

Whoah, you can get SHIVS regenerating health now! I think we all need to reevaluate how awesome they are.

And the flavor text of the upgrade sounds like "duct tape a drone to the thing."

• Locked thread