Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Save/load all you want as long as you don't do it during combat. Get the result you want or replay the whole thing imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Can I enable the other modes without having beaten the game and without installing anything? Just editing an .ini or something?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

oswald ownenstein posted:

Take Two earnings reports came out (today , I think) and it looks like XCOM did very well. We'll definitely get a sequel, that's for sure.

X-Com 2: Enemy Pretty Familiar By This Point

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

To give Red-Text-Woman-Hater some credit, I did kinda wonder about the Female Saudi Arabian recruit I got in my second game.

Before the events of X-COM the USA invaded the middle east and brought freedom and democracy to the region.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

My friend bought me EW and strongarmed me into playing Classic/Ironman. I was doing the Gangplank Battleship and a cyberdisk activated through a door, flew over to my squad, deployed into killdozer form, and instakilled one of my assaults.

Do disks and other robots not have a "scramble" move that normal enemies do? Even assuming it was a bug that allowed it to float through a closed door I was shocked when he burged my guy. It has been a very long time since I last played though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In Portent I was stuck to the side of the map and a thinman shot over everyone and killed the VIP. Then I lost another person killed and another wounded as I ran back to the skyranger to abort the mission. So I guess no DLC arc for me, oh well.

I think a lot of ironman players alt+f4 and redo their turns when poo poo goes badly. I remember watching streams of the game at release and everyone always died. Streamers had hundreds of failed runs but amazingly everyone on youtube does amazing. I wonder why.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Are there only 3 EXALT covert mission maps or am I getting really unlucky? I do kind of like the roof-top patio but it feels like I was just here.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I hate that MECs sound like RoboCop even though they only received leg and arm amputation.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Indecisive posted:

First time tuning into Beagles stream and goddrat

Haha same here. I never watched it but heard a lot about it. When he was outside of the UFO and he kept saying how bad it was I was rolling my eyes because I figured he was just being dramatic.

That was really entertaining.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I have never played Long War before and did not heed the suggestion of starting on Normal and started on Classic instead. I lost 2 men on the first mission. It is now day 4 and a Large UFO landed, how hosed am I if I attack it?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Suitaru posted:

You would be hosed either way. Long War intentionally has a large UFO land in the first month, and depending on what type it is the command pod alone could wipe a squad. It's supposed to demonstrate that you can't win every battle.

Well, I assaulted it since I was curious. I figured I could just poke toward the UFO and run away once I saw something dangerous. It's been so long since I played XCOM that I forgot the transport maps land you right next to the UFO. There was a pack of 1 sectoid and 2 thinmen right at the landingzone but there were only a few pieces of low cover around since I didn't want to go running up onto the UFO. I ended up killing 2 with grenades and then spawned a pack of 5 thinmen which sent me quickly running away and I aborted. Two people were gravely wounded but it was fun.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Am I supposed to get hit and lose guys on the very first mission? Is it possible to play smart risk management like vanilla or am I playing a long game of loss management? 3 turns in and there's a web of overwatching aliens who don't advance or flank. It's kind of dumb!

I lost 2 guys on the first mission playing on Classic. I think a lot of it depends on what map (cover) you get and how willing you are to throw your grenades (always).

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Does anyone else have really long load times? Sometimes (not always?) when my turn starts the game autosaves and it hangs for ~10 seconds and after the mission I see the skyranger flying back for ~10 seconds before it cuts to the geoscape of it flying and it STILL has to continue saving.

I did a fresh install so not sure what the deal is. My computer is new and I don't have anything strange like that happen with other games and see that streamers like Beagle don't have their game lock on save like that.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Am I just bad at keeping count or can enemies despawn? I'm almost positive I only killed 2 floaters in a pack of 3 and after waiting for a time very cautiously pushed into the UFO and ended the mission without having killed it or heard it again.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I thought in Long War you got Van Doorn as a soldier after doing his mission. Does he show up sometime later or do I not get him since I ran him back to the skyranger with him without killing the aliens?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Antti posted:

I have bad news. You need to linger and kill all the remaining aliens to actually complete the mission and to get the reward. "But I saved Van Doorn!" you might say, and you'd be right, but that's the way the game works. Van Doorn wants to kill all the aliens and disapproves of your cowardly decision to retreat without eliminating that last pod of Thin Men on the other end of the map.

I guess I should have just restarted then.. oh well. Losing a good soldier and huge continent wide panic. :cool:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Levantine posted:

Wait, really? They stop spawning eventually? How long does that take? I'd much rather set up kill zones than retreat paths.

In vanilla classic it was like 30 or something on the mission.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

The more I play Long War the more I am understanding why people edit the air war ini files. What were they thinking with this :stare:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Sober posted:

Personally I like the brighter colours for soldiers in vanilla because at least then I can remember who is what class right away.

The red shirts is a nice touch.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Pistol in one hand and a primed grenade in the other was my go-top UFO breacher.

On missions where I valued human life.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I just had my first terror mission... it took place in an densely populated urban cemetery. Floaters just flew around the map murdering all of the civilians and I could only reach 2 before they were all dead.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I am in mid April and just finished my second satellite to put me at 3. My base is in North America and I have a satellite over USA, and Canada, and Mexico has withdrawn. I don't have enough money for interceptors over other continent so should I hold onto the spare satellite for now or does it still benefit me to launch it over mexico even for $0? I know eventually I would need to for the base assault but was wondering if that is something much later I need to worry about or not.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Is anyone who ever played XCOM happy with the Will loss from being gravely wounded?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

He just means there should be a popup like the "FRIENDLY FIRE?" one since you are literally killing your guy by pressing the wrong button, by not being patient. But I guess that is par the course for XCOM, play in a slow, particular way or lose your guys.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

Starting a new Classic game because I've ragequit three times on my first one, it's like Football Manager all over again, for having 24 shots to 1 and losing 1-0, read missing 3 75% shots and having your best guy insta-killed on the next turn.

gently caress Thin Men.

I was Steam Streaming a mission for a friend and I missed a 99%. :getin:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Fuzz posted:

I'm coming up on Portent in my current Classic game, and getting scared. That Supply Ship mission I posted about earlier was a clusterfuck, but somehow I survived it without a single fatality. 100% casualties, which may in some ways be worse, but still.
End count for MONTH 1 Supply Ship:

1x3 Seekers
2x4 and 2x3 Floaters, 14 total
1x4 Sectoids, 6 total (1 mixed group)
2x3 Drones, 8 total (1 mixed group)
1x3 and 1x4 Thin Men, 7 total
1x7 Outsiders

Wow you are even better than Beagle!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

95% huh how generous of them.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Flamethrowers are hilarious and make me wish there were Incendiary Rockets like in the original, though. Not as much fun without Reapers, though... Berserkers basically fulfill the same role, but come on, a big red Muton vs a hairy cyborg Violator from Spawn... I think it's obvious which is more intimidating. :colbert:

*gets stuck between the garage door and white picket fence*

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

When did "the large landed is meant to show you not every battle is winnable" become "if you don't take the large landed you will fall behind."

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Is normal LW where the aliens make obviously bad and wrong moves or is that just vanilla? I keep getting my rear end handed to me on LW Classic and want to turn it down (because I am a babby) but don't want to go too far.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Moddington posted:

That's normal and easy on vanilla. LW disables all of that stuff on all difficulties.

Awesome, thanks. I'm going to try that then.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

If they wanted a reasonable approximation of are troops, there'd be a lot more gay sex in the barracks.

I think are soldiers would not die to a single blast of alien plasma. :colbert:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

FairGame posted:

OK, I give up. Impossible is aptly named.

Will try again on classic.

But the SHIV suppression and flush strategy is absolutely viable, and I think it'd be powerful even without red fog.

Will probably try it with rapid reaction rocketeers.

Can you explain the shiv thing to a complete newbie (me)? What makes it better or more viable than using soldiers?

I have never even gotten SHIVs. :shobon:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

The first time you shoot down a UFO is a really cool cinematic thingie. SIMMER DOWN PEOPLE WE JUST SHOT DOWN AN ALIEOEN

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Has anyone said snaketit Rules of Nature yet

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I am ok with waiting until XCOM3 to go to the Collector BaseCydonia.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Firaxis is remarkably good about its portrayal of women.

Even Heavy women are represented well in XCOM.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

The Kins posted:

According to IGN, Snakegals and Swoletoids are officially called Vipers and Evolved Sectoids.

I'm sorry but evolution is not real and it is clearly the result of Ethereal Design.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Eimi posted:

I reload if I get a code black, but that's more a save at the start of mission then reload type of deal. I try very hard to take my losses of individual soldiers on the chin, even if my natural desire for everything to go perfect makes that very, very hard.

I liked losing 14 men and the SKYRANGER and still being ok in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

If you can't do the first large landed the game throws at you then you are hosed and shouldn't even bother continuing.

• Locked thread