Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Another great include is http://www.thatgoblin.com/xcom_calculator.php. This is an MP calculater that is great for theorycrafting MP builds out of game. It has a few bugs and doesn't reflect the most recent changes to MP point costs, but I find it very useful.

Also, FWIW I find MP incredibly fun even though I agree that it is a buggy, unbalanced mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

The #1 player on Xbox "Rockstar Chris" is seriously the biggest oval office I have ever seen in a video game. 300 wins, 24 losses, 105 disconnects. He is an absolutely terrible player, and I have literally beat him every single time I have played him and he pulls some loving disconnect right before he gets killed that doesn't count as a loss, every single loving time. Naturally, being the mature adult that I am, I called him out on it last night and got into a half hour long flame war with him. The toolbag literally put "#1" as the first word of every message to me. Rot in hell Rockstar Chris you absolutely worthless no skill cheater.

He keeps registering new profiles on the 2k forums, shitposting, then getting immediately slammed/banned by the mods. To avoid derailing onto some well deserved hate for that guy, I will try and draw you into an erudite discussion of the merits of XCOM multiplayer for the benefit of goons who haven't tried it out yet.

What are your top 5 favorite things about XCOM MP?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Regarding SHIVs, remember that half cover + Hunker is basically full cover. SHIVs make an utterly amazing stopover point for an Assault who's working up to a Run & Gun.

Regarding Grenades, I usually bring them on Supports after they get Deep Pockets, and Assaults prior to that. Grenades are really useful for demolitions, even on Impossible. On Imp they're also really nice for weakening enemies for capture. I'll usually keep one grenade around no matter what for an emergency demolition - if you have a Heavy with 3 rockets and danger zone that's plenty of booms, but the Heavy isn't mobile when firing, so if I need to move someone into position and throw a hot potato to kill someone NOW, a Support with Sprinter and Skeleton Armor is the ticket.

Also, holy loving poo poo @ the Combat Stims effect. I had never bothered to use them before, but that's huge.

Combat Stims are amazing at keeping your units alive. Basically you can aggro enemies without fear of death. IN MP they are currently taking over the entire metagame for the same reason.

SHIV's are even better if you research drone capture. Then you can run around with them sucking up damage, then withdrawing for infinite heal.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Edgecase posted:

XCOM is actually a 3-outcome system (miss, hit, crit), it's just communicated to the player as two "separate" considerations. Further sub-variation in damage is determined by damage ranges.

Firing a laser rifle at a unit will do one of: miss, hit for 4, hit for 5, hit for 6, crit for 7, crit for 8, crit for 9. Exactly how much more representation do you want for the range of possible outcomes?

Actually, a Laser Rifle is not capable of doing exactly 8 damage. 4 crits to 6, 5 crits to 7, and 6 crits to 9. :science:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Edgecase posted:

Waaaaaait a minute. I don't recall ever seeing a laser or light plasma do 6 damage on a critical. Only 7 and 9, come to think of it. Drat recall bias. :eng99:

Now that you mention it, there is scuttlebutt that minimum base damage for crits is always +1, so you might be right about that. I've been searching endlessly for people in the mod forums to crack the damage calculations, but the best I can come up with is that the damage distribution for normal damage is probably 50% base damage, 25% each for either +1 or -1. Crit damage is always +50% round down, and may be +1 to base damage. Headshot sniper damage is still a little puzzling.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

BurningStone posted:

I've been working on my XCom tactics. I've had two ironman games in a row messed up when I got a little sloppy and paid for it with a panic chain that ultimately led to a squad wipe. Some of that is bad luck and some of that is XCom, but I hit the books (ok, Youtube) to see what I could do better.

It seems good players, at the start of each turn, decide if they can kill all the visible enemies. If they can't, they go very defensive. Perhaps they move a few guys around to set up for the next turn, but mostly it's "nobody get hurt." By far the best defense is breaking line of sight. If you have to leave a soldier exposed to fire, look for cover, preferably heavy, hunker down, throw smoke grenades, suppress the alien - whatever it takes. But remember that the aliens only have to get lucky once in a while to ruin your game. Both my panic chains started when an alien crit and killed a soldier who had full cover.

If you do decide to kill the enemies, I hope you kept track of how many have activated, where any of them were when they ran into the fog of war, and if they're on overwatch. Then you figure how to kill them, and I mean kill for sure, not "Well, one of these two 50% shots will probably hit." Yup, 75% of the time at least one will land. And the other 25% you're screwed.

When you go offensive, you want to use really high percentage shots. Until you've leveled up your soldiers that will usually mean flanking, or blowing up the alien's cover, or at least running right up next to them. Explosives, because they either rarely or never miss and do exactly predictably damage, are excellent (even if Doctor Doesn't-Apply-Her-Morality-To-Herself complains). But they come in limited supplies and give less loot, so they aren't the first choice.

The last thing to do is to get into half cover and swap shots. It works on Normal - and gets you killed on Classic.

This explanation is perfect. This is exactly the strat I use. Every time you reveal any enemies you should immediately assess if you can either guarantee that they all die that turn without revealing more enemies or whether you can guarantee that all of your units can be retreated to unflankable positions out of LOS with at least a few overwatches. If either A or B (but not both) is true then you do that one, if neither is true you calculate cost benefit, and if both are true you usually kill. Whenever assessing kill situations it essentially becomes a big puzzle game.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Nephilm posted:

I'd ask of those people why are they letting the aliens whose cover they just blew up with the shredder live for another turn and get into more cover.

Who said anything about living another turn? Holotargeting only helps you the same turn anyway.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

This is why I maintain that heavies should get SCOPEs before snipers or assaults. They are the only class that can shoot twice below Captain. Though admittedly, you wont use them like that too much, but even shoot and grenade is a serious gently caress you.

Assaults get Rapid Fire at Lieutenant. :science:

Bullet Swarm is a serious upgrade to your tactical options, and more Heavies with Bullet swarm is even better. The nice thing about Bullet Swarm is that unlike Double Tap or Rapid Fire, you can hit confirm with it. You can shoot, and if miss fire again (if that's the best choice). If the first shot does hit and kill, you still have another action.

So in this sense, it is safe even though the Heavy's poor aim means more frequent misses. It is essentially adding a free action to your team. Rapid Fire does too, but if the first shot would always have killed the target the free action is wasted. Run and Gun also adds a free action, which is why assaults are so good--They get 4 actions in a turn with RnG + Rapid Fire.

Note also that Heavies "bad aim" is between 3 and 15 worse than Supports and Assaults, which in the grand scheme of things is not that much. It seems worse than it is because they normally do not get close range bonuses to maximize Bullet Swarm, and the can't use LPR's. However, they strongly benefit from Combat Drug smoke. This combo is available relatively early if you are smart about leveling your supports.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Jesus I have literally gotten nothing but train yard in MP for the last week. That's like 20 matches of the worst map in a row. Jesus.

Edit: Just ran into a new awesome bug in MP where dashing just wigged my guys out and made them run in completely random directions. Every time I think they've out done themselves at making the most poo poo MP, Firaxis brings it to the next level. They really deserve some sort of anti-award for making hands down the most butt hosed multiplayer mode in ANY game I have ever seen and literally doing nothing about it.

I have a strong intuition that there is a big MP patch in the works, but the mode is so messed up that it is taking a lot of time to code and QA. The reason I believe this, paradoxically, is that they made point adjustments the first 2 months after release and have done none since. If they intended to do no more for MP, they would be doing point adjustments now to shut people up. Instead they are waiting to adjust the meta until the bugs are fixed.

I expect that the major fix is a brand new PC UI (most bugs are from this). Netcode fixes would be great but I bet they are the most difficult problems to work on.

The rest is easy stuff like making disconnect = loss, better matchmaking, 120 second rounds to ameliorate the effects of remaining bugs, point balances, more maps (and fixing the map bugs in the current ones), and more MP modes.

Please note this is pure speculation on my part, but I think there is no reason why they wouldn't. They have GOTY awards in pocket and strong sales, so there would be no reason why continuing resources would be tight.

Edit: the other reason for hope is that it's clear from the promo vids in pre-release that Jake Solomon LOVES MULTIPLAYER XCOM.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not sure why he's calling Berzerkers fun. They are easily the shittiest unit in MP. Also, if you want to play ranked the only way you are going to win matches is to have a 3+ smoke jumpers, then you can have fun with the other 5500 points left over.

Also, equip chitin plating and light plasma on the smoke jumpers.

Chryssalids are the worst unit in MP. This is not debateable. Zerkers are decent, and can be quite good if Bull Rush doesn't bug out. But if your opponent has flyers that can't be killed by the rest of your squad or if your down to a roof camper on Police Station and your Zerker it's gonna be tough.

Scopes are the pro pick on SJ's, no Chitin.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Good call. Chryssalids are truly useless.

I disagree on the scopes. Chitin has saved my dudes asses from getting 1 shot hundreds of times. Scopes aren't worth the extra aim (not that scopes are bad) at the cost of losing chitin.

If you are going to spend that kind of points on an SJ item slot go Stims.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Once again I disagree? I have played over 300 matches and I know what I like to use. I don't need your advice and I wasn't asking for it.

Edit: Don't talk to people like you are some sort of zen master of Xcom it's loving annoying.

Yikes. I am seriously no zen master in xcom and wasn't trying to be. Sorry if I gave offense. I used to play a lot of chitin on my SJ's and upgrading to stims or downgrading to scopes was a noticeable improvement for me.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry that reply was probably too intense, but chitin plating rules and should not be underestimated :black101:

For what it's worth your comments here are making me give chitin another look. I can definitely see the value of guaranteeing survival of an LPR hit, and like I said while I'm no MP expert, I am probably a better player today than when I was first using chitin, so maybe I blamed the equipment instead of myself for those early losses.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

FairGame posted:

You need to be able to target dudes who are mind controlled, though. If the only units left on a map are mind controlled, the map should end. Either as a capture or as the controller telling the controlee "shoot yourself in the face"

Since most aliens have suppression, you can empty their gun clips before they regain control (unless they are carrying pistols). You can also hit them with explosives, and if you want the fragments you can bring them down to low HP and overwatch them in a flanked position.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Holy crap that combat pre-visualization video looks awesome. Seriously that should be how Xcom 2 looks.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

One of XCOM's strengths, though, is its relatively quick pace for a TBS. That's a couple minutes for what, two moves and six shots?

I agree that's probably why it was toned down. Still, the reactions of the soldiers to the situation is amazing. One thing that I would like is a greater range of animations for actions. The same canned moves get boring after a while. Also, firefights never feel intense. They can be nerve wracking, but in the same way it would be for a stealth game, not a combat sim.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Just a note: High Ground gives no defense bonus. It gives 20% aim against enemies at lower elevation. drat Good Ground perk gives +10% bonus against enemy fire from lower elevation, and flying gives +20% defense bonus.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Here is a quick and dirty analysis for Ghost vs Titan:

Presume 3 shots from an Elite Muton (105 Aim) with a Heavy Plasma (12 damage). Presume the XCOM agent is in high cover. This is a small enough number to actually happen during a mission.

With Titan armor:
Hit chance: 105 aim - 40 cover = 65% chance to hit. Implies 3 * .65 = 1.95 (rounded to 2 for simplicity) hits.
2*12 = 24 damage received.

With Ghost armor:
Hit chance: 105 aim - 40 cover - 20 Defence = 45% chance to hit. Implies 1.35 hits.
1.35 * 12 = 16.2 (16) damage received.

This would imply that Titan armor would have to give in the ballpark of 8 extra HP to be "worth it".

"But you didn't account for-" I KNOW. I did this in 2 minutes, it is not meant to be exhaustive. It does illustrate some considerations though.

Actually, this likely understates the defensive impact of Ghost, if anything. And it leaves aside the fact that for any attack you could ghost before the enemy turn and reduce the enemy hit chance to zero.

Bottom line: the only time Titan is good in this game is right after you get it, and before you can afford other armors. Even then I find myself missing the defense and grappling hook from Skeleton.

If you rush it quickly enough Titan basically gives you immunity to Council Missions, which is neat.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 19, 2013

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

FairGame posted:

3 rookies (well, squaddies given the New Guy research) can't do much of anything in late game impossible beyond "die horribly"

They can if you have a Colonel Support with Smoke and Mirrors and Combat Drugs. You can also give your squaddies Combat Stims and Ghost Armor. That will dramatically increase survivability. Even Combat Stims and Titan is really great, as you can actually tank enemy fire.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Edgecase posted:

I guess you could call it that, but the point was more about the alternative ruleset. I got a lot of blank stares and "I don't get it"s at first.

For those of you unfamiliar with watching Youtube videos of XCOM multiplayer, let me assure you that it is awesome.

For those of you unfamiliar with Edgecase's Code Black permadeath MP videos, let me assure you they are awesome.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

oswald ownenstein posted:

Have you played I/I?

Money is tight. Every dollar you can spare is critical and it isn't just squad size - you need rapid recovery ASAP as well. Surviving the first few months is the issue - not your monthly income.

There's a reason Beagle uses it on his playthroughs and it isn't for humor.

And I'm sorry if I'm coming off like a jerk I just don't want to see any new comers getting awful advice from someone who hasn't even beaten classic ironman :-)

I'm pretty convinced that North America start, 4 sats and Asia in April is the best strat. You are right about the benefits of cheap OTS upgrades but none of them are available in March so the Asia start makes no sense. In my I/I run I didn't even get OTS and sat coverage in Asia until May.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

I run a multiplayer squad of 3 basic assaults with alloy cannons and chitin plating. Thus they all have 11 HP, can run and gun, and deal 9 damage on a close range shot without a crit. They cost 2650 points each for a total of 7950, which leaves me 2050 points. Currently I have those points spent on a medic support with a medkit (duh), light plasma rifle, and laser pistol. Any recommendations for a better spending of those points?

Medics are great, but I suggest dropping it for a Smokejumper with LPR and Scope and 2 Sectoids. And after that I think I would actually drop 1 sectoid and replace all the Chitin with Combat Stims. I might also replace at least 1 of the Alloy Cannons with a Plasma Rifle.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

Any battlescape suggestions for the intro mission to Impossible Ironman? My goal is no rookie death, but all conventional strategies fail me, such as circling around the map before hitting the center, activating only one alien group at a time (although I'm not always perfect at that one), using explosives a lot, not firing from half cover unless I know I can kill the alien and another alien won't show up to kill me, not taking shots less than 45%, breaking line of site as the best cover, not sprinting unless I think the aliens might be on overwatch, killing the mindmelder, and using overwatch to lock down the alien's position to prevent my own units from being flanked. I've must have played at least 20 games today, restarting each time somebody died.

All that is good tactics, but your ability to exit mission 1 on I/I with zero casualties is also map dependent. If you get Rooftop Construction Site you might as well restart. I just started a zero casualty I/I run on Museum. I had to start over 2 times before I got there due to squad wipes.

Can you give details on where some of your attempts went wrong?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

the glow posted:

I wouldn't consider that map to be one of the worse ones, personally. There's usually the lone pod in the upper right that you can set up on ahead of time and kill safely, there's lots of full cover on the ground for breaking LOS and baiting aggressive sectoids into flank/overwatch traps, and there's also a lot of opportunities to peek around edges to spot aliens, then use soldiers on the higher levels to grenade them from out of their sight. I don't claim to be good at XCOM but I've completed this map as the first mission of I/I without any of my soldiers being hit, and with the aliens only having fired two shots.

I always have trouble getting out of the starting corner where there is no good cover.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

FairGame posted:

I have no problem with THAT construction map, but the one where you start next to the forklift and there's that massive high rise on the left?

That place is a loving deathtrap. I have no idea how to not get both groups coming after you at once. The group on the right is easy to deal with.

This map is difficult without rockets. First mission I agree it can be deadly, but at least you are at close range in full cover. I can often get good grenades off on this map and then retreat for pistol overwatches if necessary.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Captain Gordon posted:

Rapid reactions should hit the same enemy twice, that was a bug.

This is totally untrue. Rapid Reaction, like Sentinel, will grant a second reaction shot only if triggered a second time. Neither ability grants a second reaction shot on the same unit on the same move, unless that unit takes 2 movements while in LOS. There is a rare situation where a single movement can take a unit out of LOS in the middle of the move but still end its single move within LOS. In this case, and this case only, will multiple reaction shot perks allow multiple shots to hit the same target on the same move.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Edgecase posted:

I've had a Cyberdisc (back in the day) get two-shotted by some random heavy with double overwatch during a single movement. I'm sure I could be convinced something else happened, but much like Close Combat Specialist, it just seems very inconsistent.

I play with this perk quite a lot in MP and SP, and I have only seen it trigger twice in the same movement when that movement carries the unit momentarily out of LOS, in which case it will always trigger a second time (if Sentinel or the first was a hit with Rapid Reaction). CD's have a very large movement radius, so I have no trouble believing that this happened in your case.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Can anybody verify that the beta patch actually fixes the telepoprting enemies bug? I'm kind of afraid to try it given how their past attempts to fix it just made it act weirder. :ohdear:

It seems to fix the Hunker Down teleport bug (Hunker Down reduces soldier sight range to 3 tiles, Alien patrol teleports to exactly 3 tiles away even if other soldiers are not in Hunker Down), but now there are many "soft teleport" problems, where enemies will activate from across the map inside the FOW, then immediately teleport to another area, take their free move, and disappear. It's definitely an improvement, but still not ideal.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Edgecase posted:

From what I've been able to tell, they have some kind of setup where part of their QA is housed at the publisher (2K Games), rather than in-house. Their community contacts for the process, including the Steam beta distribution and presumably data collection, are definitely on the 2K side of the fence. Bug submission is also done through the 2K Support infrastructure, and not directly to Firaxis. That's not to say they don't also have an in-house QA unit, but it does make me wonder if there's some kind of division of responsibility (and more recent shuffling of roles taking place) behind the scenes that's adding to the delays.

As you can see here:

http://steamdb.info/app/200510/#section_depots

There are six seperate QA branches on Steam, not including the 2k Community Beta.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Edgecase posted:

Yes, but those can be for a lot of different things, ranging from bug testing to localization to demo code. Several of them seem to be leftover from the initial QA push, and there's a clear trail of past RTM builds.

I think I may have missed your point.

All of them have been used in the History in the past 30 days, except for qa_beta2. For instance, qa_beta, qa_beta3, and 2k_community all have the same build, so it's clear that those teams worked on qa for the teleport bug fix build for the community beta. 2k_qa stopped with slightly earlier build numbers, so my guess is they get involved at a different level in the process.

firaxis_qa is still adding builds, and the question is: what are they working on? XCOM:EW is the answer, but nobody knows what it is.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Edgecase posted:

Couldn't it also be something as simple as the different qa/qa2/qa3 drops being used to automate testing with and without the various DLCs installed? Point being, this is a lot of reading into a folder structure.

You're probably right about that. qa_beta seems to be associated with testing Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot. qa_beta3 shows up once, for Executables.

That leaves us with separate QA for Firaxis and 2K, plus the Community Beta.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Deuce posted:

Having recently jumped to I/I I can confirm that holy gently caress this is hard. Sectoids get another 10 aim and their health goes up to 4, and there are more of the little bastards. Since you can't use grenades as a backup auto-kill, some new tactics are definitely needed. What new tactics? gently caress if I know. I can barely get past a mission or two before something catastrophic happens.

You can't use grenades as a back up auto kill, true. You have to shift to using them as a damage and cover removal instrument. You also need to be really conservative with your movement. If you sign on for the current Beta it's also quite a bit better because you can now use Hunker Down without triggering more enemies.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

The will boosts might give you a tiny chance to survive all the Mind Controls you've got coming your way, too.

Drug Smoke and Stims Will boost does not protect your from Psi powers or boost your own. Only Psi Inspire, Psi Armor, and Mind Shield boost your Psi Power.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Okay, I just do not get multiplayer at all. I just lost a match to a guy who had a single soldier, an assault specialist with psionic powers, an alloy cannon, and Titan armor. The first thing he did was mind control a guy, and everything went downhill from there. I still haven't won a single thing.

What team were you using, and what map?

Also, unless his team only cost 8500 points he had more units.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

Well if anything, I almost wish some of the people asking for strategy help posted videos of them playing so we could understand if it's a style thing, lack of understanding of mechanics, or really bad :xcom: syndrome.

Also, I was a weirdo on my last I/I playthrough and went for armor first. Why? Because being able to survive an inevitable hit was critical for me in the early game because even if your damage is improved with lasers a dead soldier does no damage and I need every man doing something even if to just distract the enemy. No dead soldiers in the beginning is extremely helpful and rushing the alien base before you've got some resources built up. Even with lasers it'll require two hits oftentimes to take out a thin man, so having to double up per alien is really what makes Impossible so hard in the early game to me in terms of offensive capability, which only exacerbates the other factors of increased enemy count, better alien aim, and weaker soldiers.

Yes, I go materials first on I/I because a squaddie with a vest usually has 7 HP, which is exactly enough to guarantee surviving a Plasma Pistol hit or a non-crit LPR hit. That makes a huge difference, allowing you to go into situations and allow your soldiers to get hit at least once. This is much better than a SCOPE in April. However, I tend to go Materials, then Fragments, then Beams. Carapace is not really necessary although Squaddie with Carapace and Vest has 10 HP and LPR crit immunity. I usually skip Carapace for Skeleton.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Chakan posted:

This, and the fact that rolling a 2 on rifle damage blows against thin men on Impossible, makes me go lasers first.

Lasers can't one shot them reliably either. Rockets are the only answer. Heavy lasers are pretty good though. Running two heavies on I/I is essential.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Chakan posted:

That's not how I mean. With ballistics rolling minimum on a hit can mean needing two more hits. No such thing with lasers.

It... happens far too often for me.

Not if you use shotguns and LMG's.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

You sure? I was positive it was 9 damage, but I could be wrong. Wiki, and a few other places online, say 9 too.

Laser Sniper Rifle does 5-7 base damage, 7-10 on a normal crit, and 11-14 on a Headshot crit. It's an incredible weapon on Classic, because it can 1-shot Elite Mutons and Sectoid Commanders.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 14, 2013

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Appears to be a new patch coming:

http://steamdb.info/app/200510/#section_history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Rather Dashing posted:

Indeed - I just downloaded it. Can't find any details for it.

It likely incorporates the Teleport bugfix from the Patch 4 Community Beta. It definitely restores the ability for 2kCommunity Beta players to play MP again with non-Beta players.

Don't know what else. We'll have to test.

• Locked thread