Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You need to let a Scout-class ship escape. Then a Battleship will turn up to kill your satellite. Judging from videos I've seen(Slingshot and a standard takedown), there's a damm good reason they're 'optional'-they're horrific slogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

No. Checks Hit first, then Crit.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Somehow it's kinda a shame. Yes, when you think Heavy, you think rockets and things, but you also think 'mass pain with heavy guns' and they don't DO that because they have the worst aim. Aim Is God(Rightly so) and they don't get any, nor do their weapons help with this.

The Heavy is as much 'support' as the actual Support class. They aren't something to fear on their own, it seems.

Feel free to counter this brutally.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

No one's ever explained quite what's going on. Yes, that's the result. What's causing it?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'm still annoyed that they modeled the moon in the geosphere and yet there's no alien base on it that needs destruction.

Still holding out for that in the next DLC, if there is such a thing.

When you have a baseship, why bother with planets? I still question why and how they had a base on-planet.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

scamtank posted:

A whodunnit scenario where multiple governments are suspect. Raid the wrong presidential palace for reptilians and be denounced by the entire world as an insane cadre of terrorist Icke fanboys.

I'm calling back to this because of my own thoughts about Enemy Within. The XCOM Squads are in Civ 5-Brave New World(Where 'Denouncing' is a mechanic). Armed with Plasma. They're basically the ultimate 'normal' unit with absurd power and strike range...in a world of Giant Death Robots. How are the Giant Death Robots around? Well, I guess they handed the alien tech about.

...This wasn't just a 'reference'. It was a hint. Expect to see Shaka and Isabella handing out missions. Anyway, it allows them to use those 'Special Forces' models for something other than running away or standing there.

The only way this could be 'better' is if on launch day or a little after, we get a Civ 5 DLC/Mod thing that adds the Aliens into Civ 5.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 14, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

euphronius posted:

Fighting enemy humans will make up for only adding a few new aliens I guess.

It kinda makes sense given we've had 'military' dudes as civilians and contacts, so the models are there already. What needs doing is setting them up with actual gear. Which they are doing.

Path of least work.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I want classic snake men back. :colbert:

There's truth here. Yeah, yeah, Thin Men, but they're vipers. The old ones were large and practically Cobras. Look how the Mutons ended up and imagine a classic Snakeman given the reimagining they were.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

They'd probably make something out of that egg-laying bit mentioned in the autopsy.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

There's no way said tech in your soldiers brains can go wrong when psionic aliens arrive.

Note the shot of an upgrade that prevents Panic and Mind Control(Stun is bad, but not as bad as Mind Control). It'll be interesting to see how compatible these mods and mechanisation is with the Psi upgrades. Could be these bar you somehow.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

euphronius posted:

That's why I was hoping only grievously wounded soldiers could become mechs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7h2IZQetVU

"Legally they're dead. We can pretty much do what we want."

It's no 'better'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Both, if I recall. Of course, the tank is a pure human creation. Here, we're messing with 'us', which we're still confused about and lack understanding of. Similar, yet different.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Coolguye posted:

The thing is, they don't. It's a pretty sketchy thing to claim there's a dark theme when nothing dark ever happens except in your own head. Now, if the SitRoom ticker had a blue-color followup that said American dissidents were being cracked down on due to the police's new walking battle tank...that'd be another thing again.

I wonder if there'll be new news tickers in this? You may get that or something other.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

That roughly matches the original's timeframe, mind you.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Supernorn posted:

They look a lot like...

Flying, Invisibile, Cybernetically enhanced Cryssalids :stare:

The proper word is Tentaculat. Only...these ones are on land. I guess the Mechtoid may be the equivalent of the Lobsterman.

...Actually, what with all the Genetic Engineering(Basis of Aquatoid tech) and the MEC suits(I'm suddenly reminded of the Bio-Drone, which was a brain in a jar that screamed it's opponents to death), we are the ones going Terror From the Deep, it feels like. Especially since it's possible to edit people so they all look the same(One of the major things is that the base Aquatoids are all clones).

Interesting twist if so. Though a lot of it is wild guessing in a way.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 31, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

All that really needs to be done is the fix that was modded in early on. The Abduction/Terror UFOs are usually invisible and untargetable. That was changeable, and people did. And much more fun was had by all, because it was possible to stop them in their tracks.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

You'd expect that to occur more often. "We've been shot down! All hands, get to the front on the double and prepare for enemy contact!"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

Believe it or not, there almost was. Hasbro owned the rights to the X-Com IP for a while and tried to turn it into a children's cartoon with a tie-in toy line. It fell through pretty quickly after Hasbro execs realized just how seriously loving dark the games are, but for a brief moment in time it was within the realm of possibility for there to be a half-hour Saturday morning show featuring hordes of grey-suited rookies getting brutally slaughtered by an implacable alien menace. Wonder how they would have handled Chryssalids.

Hell, imagine the toys! "Buy the new Rookie Stevens action figure, featuring realistic panicking action! Comes with 'Stun Rod' and 'Primed High Explosive Charge' accessories!"

Exo-Squad(Which I think WAS a toy). Or maybe Ulysses 31. Or, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. It's not impossible for a cartoon series to be serious, or even dark as gently caress, whilst still being heroic. Hell, given UFO's intro, the basis is ALREADY THERE. Complete with invented character-Red Muton.

...In a way that's the charm. You can go as light or as dark as you like.

I suddenly have an image of Thin Men doing paperwork in an office and lambasting the computer systems.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 28, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

Now, the genemod troops, they rejoin society with superpowers. That's the program you want to volunteer for.

Not convinced. Mostly because they've still got those implant jacks on their arms. Which implies they're getting treated and retreated for rejection.

Lord knows what happens when they stop getting the treatments.

I realise we got Meld, MEC and Gene Mods early as a gameplay thing, so you get to really use the stuff. But I can't help but feel they should have shown up later in terms of the story. EXALT with these weird abilities should be big.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 1, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Brotato Broth posted:

I'm just going to start ignoring council missions entirely from now on. Thin men are poorly designed bullshit regardless of difficulty.

Thin Men are Sniper-analogues. It's as simple as that. You love having them, but can't stand the same being used against you.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

more friedman units posted:

I love that EXALT's base also has a Geoscape hologram, but in red instead of blue. COMMANDER, PLEASE REPORT TO THE EVIL SITUATION ROOM!

Shows the depth of the corruption-they wouldn't have Geoscape unless they had actual details of how that thing was made.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a single-play scenario of some sort where Exalt takes the protagonist role. Since they basically are 'X-Com RED' and use the majority of 'standard' stuff with only a few quirks. They've also tried to double-cross(And thus can potentially work against) the aliens by plot.

And they've certainly shown they can do decent plot maps.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Incerased size means little without stats to back it up, especially given the base beast is melee and has it's own issues.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

...Maybe I'm a dumb outsider, but looking at the notes, why exactly are pistols given such a massively harsh aim penalty? They're already your bottom-of-the-barrel desperation weapon with barely any damage, why make them even worse?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

To his credit, in the first alien interrogation cutscenes, Bradford does say "we've already met that thing!"

Which you have. The tutorial is always presumed to have happened-which was vs a Sectoid Commander.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Lots more. This is just the ones you start with, and most of them can be put on anyone, including rookies:

Every class of weapons has a similar number of guns to it, and there's a couple extra classes, too.

The real question that should be asked is 'How many of these do people actually USE, and WHY?'. Depth of weaponry is pointless is you don't use half of it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

With the creation of EXALT AKA X-Com Red, there is possibility for such a thing. Differentiate the EXALT Gene Mods sufficiently, give them advancement to Plasma or something similar, hash out what they want, give them support staff.

...The problem is the setup you've posted sounds way too much like the so-called 'free-to-play' cash sinks. And that's a way that is foul in and of itself. The things are often barely games with how much gets tied to money to advance.

The base idea isn't entirely foul. Hell, Microsoft tried Age of Empires Online. It even worked for a little while. If it doesn't fall into that 'free to play hole'.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 4, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

The game feels like a rush in the first 2-3 months to see who enters the "death-spiral" first; either you or the aliens.

So effectively, after everything, all the changes and new choices and new monsters and new powers, little has changed. The supposed point of the mod was to prevent it being 'rush to X: the game' and be a longer and perhaps more measured game because beating the damm thing in a few months 'game time' was 'unrealistic'. And they have seemingly 'failed' at this.

As an outsider, that's how it seems from talk here.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 4, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Why Heavy Floaters? Ethereals makes sense, Heavy Floaters does not.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The thin men are definitely cheating motherfuckers on Classic+. gently caress thin men.

Yet you cheer at your snipers going postal on the enemy. Why whine when the sniper equivalent does the same?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

If the LW people have figured out how to inset new models, I fear what the Nexus community will come up with if they release it publicly.

Wrestlers. Lots and lots of wrestlers.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Renounced posted:

You mean "Beagle Rush", since he probably has muscle fiber density too. :eng101:

I don't believe he would be gene-modded.

This despite the fact 'Depth Perception' is classed as a Gene Mod.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Which is why he said Peter Molydeux, presumably his Jungian Shadow given unholy life on Twitter.

The two have interacted. Supposedly it helped the real one get his groove back.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Is it utterly sad that I imagine the Rocketeer just screaming, and a Muton(I don't know why a Muton) either patting him on the shoulder, or getting Intimidated?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

In what sense? Too much or too little?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Ah, we've managed to intercept the enemy's transmissions. Useful.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

No. It will never come up again if you refuse.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

What am I even looking at?

I sound sarcastic, but I ain't.

Sometimes I really hate the whole 'Dark=atmosphere' thing. Even with the health blob showing where 'it' is, I'm confused. Whatever it is looks like it's occupying 9 or even 12 squares. Unless it's all smoke.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 14, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

How can you have negative will, being suicidally depressed?

You say this with such a joking manner. Seeing members of your squad burning alive(Plasma), barely surviving by the skin of your teeth, laid up in the hospital for at least a month(Which is shockingly fast under the circumstances)...and then there's MECing. Hell, the hit would be worse if youy had the mods or MEC, because it means it's all been worthless.

It's easy to be blase about the mental effects of such, especially repeatedly.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

What the hell happened to snakemen, they were loving cool. Just look at this cute fella:

Then you get into their in-game entry, especially concerning the autopsy:

quote:

Live specimen

This race developed in an extremely hostile environment. They are extremely tough and can resist extreme temperature variations.
Their mobility depends on a snake-like giant "foot" which protects all the vital organs.
Their objectives appear to be purely predatory and they appear to be under the command of some other Intelligence which directs their military-style incursions on earth.
Autopsy

Snakeman - Autopsy
The skin is extremely tough and heat resistant.
The cardio-vascular system is part of the muscular system which uses the hydraulic principle to create motion. The only true muscle is the "heart".
The reproductive system appears to be very efficient. Reproduction is asexual, with each snakeman carrying up to fifty eggs inside its body at any one time.
Left to its own devices this species would be a severe threat to life on earth.

loving things are a complete alien invasion all on their own and they have something controlling them(Of course, the Ethereals and Alien Brain).

I appreciate the Thin Men. I appreciate their role. I still miss Snakemen. Add a laying mechanic and explosive resistance you've got a half-decent unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Zomborgon posted:

I know I'll be vilified for this, but a word on why it's alright if the canon requires that you lost, somehow:

Meh. I say the base defence failed. That'd explain the whole 'decimated and scattered'.

• Locked thread