Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

coffeetable posted:

Getting this in on page one:

ANY ISSUES WITH THE PRNG ARE IN FACT ISSUES WITH YOUR lovely MONKEY-BRAIN PATTERN RECOGNITION ABILITIES

Anyone who has issues with the PRNG simply are Pattern Recognition Not Good types.

*rimshot*

Okay I'll show myself out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

1337JiveTurkey posted:

So if aliens won't move when they know a soldier is overwatching

Luckily the aliens don't share information. So if one ran in and got killed, then the next one will run in and get killed too.

Sentinel still kinda isn't worth it.

Plus Chryssalids don't care and just run in anyway.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 19, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I've heard that it can on Normal, but are Ravens able to shoot down the Overseer on Classic or Impossible, or is it completely mandatory to build the Firestorms? I can't tell if it's just bad luck or what, since I ran out of track/aim/dodge buffs trying.

Depends on your guns I'd say. With "just" Plasma they certainly can't.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, plasma's best I've got. What gives EMP Research again?

The same tech that gives you the Firestorm =(

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Don't get me wrong, starting in Africa is not a bad idea (I'd argue that the only truly 'bad' place to start is SA), but I just don't prefer it since the bonus only makes a lot of sense after you've got some steam going

I personally dislike the EU start the most. You don't even get to have Russia for free!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I've been playing Classic Marathon mode to see what it's like and it really does make the game easier rather than harder.

At first it's crazy because you can't even get a single satellite up in the first month but then you start getting so many goodies (I've sold a ton of Alien Alloys and Elerium) that it's not so bad by the second month.

The OTS really pays off because having extra squad members early is more useful than trying for Beam Weapons or Armor since you'll be facing Thin Men and Sectoids for a long time. I'm running two Heavies and two Snipers, going willy-nilly with the explosives because I'll be killing more Sectoids in a couple days so I might as well play it safe.

Did the Alien Base in June and now that I'm starting to roll out Plasma, it's really rather easy since Mutons _just_ showed up. I'll probably just finish researching the Firestorm and then try to finish the game whenever I find a Psychic (I have More Than Human enabled so it's going to take a while).

It's interesting to be making most of my money via selling instead of satellites (I don't even have half coverage of the globe yet). Feels a lot more like the old X-Com in that sense.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I've run into a weird bug several times where I get to watch aliens reposition in the Fog of War. I was confused at first because I didn't remember activating them and then when I actually revealed them, they got their Free Get Into Cover move.

The interesting thing is that the Aliens do not appear to teleport anymore but actually run into a different position.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Iceshade posted:

Also when the controls glitch and decides to move my Rocket Launcher one pixel to the left, from 90% to 0% blocked. Bye squad.

I avoid this one by positioning the rocket, letting go of the mouse, and then when it's stable for a second, pressing spacebar to fire.

(And then I get "Rocket Off Course")

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

GenVec posted:

I'd like to know whether anyone has been able to finish a campaign playing under Classic / Ironman with both Marathon and Diminishing returns turned on. I've beaten Classic twice now, but racing to complete satellites that cost up to 2k and require 68 engineers to build (not to mention a month for each uplink) is beyond brutal. I haven't lost a mission yet, but even so it seems like I'm going to lose my eighth country even with a beeline for the "high ground".

I don't have Diminishing Returns enabled (More Than Human Marathon Classic) but I have precisely three satellites flying right now (Japan, Brazil, Argentina) and none on the way for at least another month.

But I'm rolling out Plasma, done the Alien Base, doing the research for the Firestorm (before I do the Hyperwave to shoot down the Overseer) and I've been getting so many missions that panic is low anyway (I have lost three countries though).

I'm thinking that it might not even be necessary to have complete satellite coverage to finish the game at this rate (most of my money is made by selling the huge stocks of Elerium and Alien Alloys).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

If I capture a outsider alien early (Before I interrogate my first alien) Will that break the game at all or screw something up?

It won't break the game but you'll be annoyed by Dr. NoFun telling you to stop killing Outsiders despite you already have the crystal back at base.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Not a Step posted:

Later in the game though letting a scout UFO go will summon a battleship instead of a medium scout, and nothing short of a Firestorm with EMP/Plasma can take it down.

You can take it down with 3-4 Ravens armed with Plasma using boosts.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

MrDude posted:

Something I've been curious about : If an enemy leaves cover and your unit has them in Overwatch and immediately fires, does the enemy still have the cover bonus? Logic would say no, but then, it's kinda goofy how often aliens can dodge 4+ Overwatching soldiers.

Overwatch has a -20 Aim penalty. You should only rely on your Snipers to reliably Overwatch.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, I don't bother with maxing out the satellites in the first month (you need some luck too to get the missions early enough so you have the resources to build them before the month ends).

Then again, I don't sweat about losing some countries because it really doesn't make it harder to finish the game.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shalinor posted:

OH. I was wondering why it seemed like I had more of those.

Normal kind of taught me to never sell them, because they were a bitch to get in the quantities necessary. I take it selling weapon fragments isn't a horrible idea if you're at Classic difficulty or above? Does the same apply to Elerium, or any of the other hard-to-get stuff?

For the first month you can sell them to get more satellites. I wouldn't do it after that though because they'll be scarce until you've gotten Plasma.

Also, check if you're actually set to Classic difficulty. A couple of people have started what they thought was a Classic game but it wasn't lol (Classic isn't really that hard though).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

He usually acknowledges the mistakes as he goes along though. It helps to see what happens if things go wrong too anyway.

The more important thing it's really hard to NEVER make mistakes and seeing how he deals with errors is important too. It also adds verisimilitude that he's not acing everything as some save scummers do.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Scopes + Ghost Armor. Come out of cloak at point blank range to kill them. Then recloak like the Predator.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

I think all of us heavy... heavy users would agree though that we'd take a talent that makes rocket accuracy 99% over either Holotargeting or Bullet Swarm.

There is one: Blaster Launcher. It even increases damage and is 100% accurate even around corners.

BTW, does anyone know how rare More Than Human makes the gift? Because I'm thinking I didn't think it through properly when I turned on this option...

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 23, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I've been playing Marathon Classic too and I ended up doing the Alien Base at month 3 to reset the panic levels. Interestingly enough, after this, I've been able to manage the panic levels and now have all countries covered but one (deliberately uncovered). I did lose three countries though but that's normal for my style of play (I don't like to bother with the min-maxing to have perfect coverage).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Zandar posted:

Normally, the percentage chance of someone being gifted when put into testing is: (Will/4) + max(0, 75 - 20*(number of soldiers in barracks with higher Will) - 40*(number of soldiers with the highest 6 Wills which are already psionic)).

With More Than Human, the percentage chance becomes: (Will/8)/(1 + number of psionic soldiers in barracks). I think you'd be lucky to get 2 psionics in this mode.

This is good information. I just want a single psychic so I can beat the game.

About 12.5% chance my guys are psychic huh? Lucky it's Marathon and I have a dozen Colonels. But half of them have already tested negative =(

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Zandar posted:

Hmm. There does actually seem to be a failsafe that ensures the sixth soldier you test will be gifted if you haven't gotten a psionic by then, and I can't see anything that would indicate More Than Human turning that off, but if you've already tested that many I must be misreading something.

Oh yeah? I'll test a couple more then. Perhaps I had only tested 5 (I was doing them sequentially). If the sixth is a psychic then I'll know if the failsafe works =)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Zandar posted:

Hmm. There does actually seem to be a failsafe that ensures the sixth soldier you test will be gifted if you haven't gotten a psionic by then, and I can't see anything that would indicate More Than Human turning that off, but if you've already tested that many I must be misreading something.

Huh, I didn't have 6 after all and I seem to be able to get a psychic no matter who I put into testing. I even put rookies with 50 will multiple times and one always comes out psychic.

So there's a failsafe to get at least ONE psychic after all. Looks like I was worried about my psychics for nothing.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The teleportation bug is really bugging me (no pun intended).

I attack a supply UFO. No biggie, I bring my A-team just in case.

I take my first move forward and trigger an Ethereal (and a muton elite); they do their reveal. Okay, usually those are holed up in the bridge but whatever, I can easily handle this.

Sent one Ghosted Support beside the Ethereal to keep an eye on it and had all my other guys move into concealment, snipers in the back Overwatch.

The Ethereal and Muton Elite, despite being RIGHT BESIDE my Support inside the UFO, teleports outside directly behind my guys and knocks a guy down to critical with the Ethereal Laser. The Muton Elite inflict grievous harm to another soldier.

Rather depressing because this isn't me making assumptions about accuracy (like those who complain about Thin Men) but actual bullshit behavior. It's as if because they couldn't see any of my guys, they decided to teleport instead.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Iceshade posted:

Chrysalids aren't nearly as scary as they were in UFO:EU .. and it's really hard to lose someone to them.

Unless they charge right into your squad, then scatter to move even closer. Then I throw my hands up and say "That's loving bullshit."

You mean :xcom:

But it was similar in X-Com too. In the best case scenario, they just died too.

It's the not-ideal scenarios where it's crazy because of the way they multiply.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Has anyone else noticed that with the latest patch, Ethereals and Sectoid Commanders have a greater tendency to be lazing around somewhere random in the map instead of being holed up in the bridge of UFO's?

Nothing like spotting an Ethereal as your first alien on the map =(

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Spiffo posted:

Personally I think it would make more sense that way. Maybe not for landings, but for shot down UFOs I'd sure as heck be out there helping the troops prepare for the inevitable loving human search party.

Yeah, in the meta sense it works. It's just that I liked having them holed up inside ready for all my guys to bust in and kill in one turn. The psychic blast beam of the Ethereal is painfully powerful.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

j4on posted:

Until I played Marathon, I never had a 100% chrysalid mission. They are scarier in large numbers. Last terror mission I just left all my guys outside and systemically had two danger-zone, 3 rocket heavys destroy the entire building while two snipers picked them off at max range. Civilian casualties were a bit high, but no soldiers were hurt.

I tend to do that on missions that have large numbers of Chryssalids. I just rescue one civilian to make sure I can't fail the mission and then I just hang back to shoot the bugs safely using liberal amounts of high explosives.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

But honestly, I think the real reason I just managed to have a 0-casualty Ironman Impossible run is because I've basically memorized all the maps and events now, which is a massive advantage over someone that's barely seen more than a handful of maps.

*claps*

Seriouslu, I can beat Impossible Ironman but I don't think I can do it without casualties.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

A Violence Gang posted:

That's the thing, I don't really have a research order, I was just trying different stuff. Went towards armor in my last game and that seemed to help. UFOs I can't shoot down seem to be the most common reason I lose a country (which doesn't happen all that often on Normal), should I be making interceptor techs more of a priority? I can't even tell from the game text if the Phoenix Cannon is an improvement or just a sidegrade. That kind of stuff is my problem with the geoscape -- it's cool that there are options rather than a single path but I don't see any signposts to tell me whether I'm on schedule, whether I'm prepared for something like the base assault, when I need to improve my interceptor fleet vs. my ground troops.

Phoenix Cannon is a definite upgrade especially if you have the consumables. It's conveniently shallow in the research tree too. I find that with consumables and the Phoenix Cannon, I can skip Laser Cannons altogether. Just have two interceptors for every continent and you'll handle things.

Usually, I go for Beam Weapons research first so I can roll out Laser Pistols and Rifles before grabbing Armor and Capture techs.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Scirocco Griffon posted:

I've always gone for at least carapace armor first, mainly because most times I can keep squad coverage good enough that defending from a lucky critical hit is more important than having stronger weapons early on. Beam weapons aren't too much of a rush since you get a research credit from capturing a Sectoid, which is a requirement to move the game along anyway, so the time investment isn't that big of a hit if you wait a little.
Well it's not that good option on Impossible. The earliest you can get a mission full of Chryssalids is the second month. If you don't go for Beam Weapons first, you won't have Lasers ready by then since it's actually slower to Laser Rifles to attempt to do the tech to grab a Sectoid first. Facing Chryssalids with Laser Rifles is a more pleasant prospect compared to facing Chryssalids with Rifles even if you have armor.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The Heavy's niche is Danger Zone exploding ALL the cover so your ITZ Sniper can kill everyone. Multiple times.

The Heavy's _other_ niche is Mayhem Suppression which guarantees 3 damage on regulars and 6 damage on robots (splash). While also exploding ALL the cover so your ITZ Sniper can kill everyone.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Another thing they can do is Shoot then Ghost like the Predator which is more for cool points.

Also, someone once told me I could use a Shredder Rocket to inflict Holo-targeting. I either heard wrong or that someone is a dirty liar.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

I said that based on the ufo wiki. Are you sure? I made a holo-shredder combo heavy at one point but I think I just assumed it worked, without directly testing it. Maybe it only works if you're directly targeting an alien with the rocket? (In which case it's still mostly worthless) Sorry.

I wasn't actually mad, it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek.

With that said, I didn't actually check the accuracy numbers before and after, I only didn't see the Holo-Targeting popup show up. I'll double-check afterward to see if direct targeting makes a difference.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Or you could fire a single HEAT rocket at it and kill it and its drones.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That reminds me. I need to try a gimmick squad of all Snipers. I'm sure it'll work =D

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The Game Over screen is a mark of honour really. It shows that you have the guts to brave through what XCOM's really about!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
IIRC, panic reduction is improved as you go from Poor to Good to Excellent. An Excellent rating basically reduces panic massively on the whole continent while a Poor rating only does a small reduction.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Makes it more like original X-COM. It doesn't make that much difference to my playstyle though.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's an alternate universe. All vehicles use Pinto(TM) engineering. Even tanks.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I carry two Heavies so I have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Cyberdiscs have never failed to grenade me at any opportunity. My rule for them is to kill them dead.

• Locked thread