Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
gently caress Thin Men. gently caress Council Missions. gently caress Murder Street. On to my second try at Classic in EW.

The more things change...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Otisburg posted:

So still gently caress thin men then?

Holy gently caress, yes.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

ParanoidInc posted:

Operation Portent :gonk:

gently caress Thin Men. I still have squad size 4 and I've killed at least 10 already.

Yes, my A-Squad wiped there. Then my B-Squad wiped on Murder Street. Then my last non-Rookie ate it to an Outsider that activated early and critted across the loving UFO.

I'm a little upset by this turn of events...

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

misguided rage posted:

Biggest complaint so far: the toggle to turn off 'helpful' npc advice doesn't shut up the constantly whining VIPs.

Whining VIPs don't count as 'helpful' advice; they're just douches.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Changing difficulty is apparently bugged. I've been wondering why my game has been so goddamn easy, and it's because every time I start a mission it automatically switches the difficulty from classic to normal. What the hell.

X-Com difficulty "bugs" are legacy features, made in honor of the original.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Canuck-Errant posted:

Or a broken "Rack tap bang" that shows the translators didn't actually understand the meaning of the phrase.

I thought I'd imagined them saying that last night.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Andre Banzai posted:

Guys, are you so excited about the expansion that you didn't even notice that Ananda Gupta posted this a while ago? Or did you all just choose to ignore the man on purpose?

We're too busy cursing about Thin Men to notice. gently caress Thin Men.

Honestly, I forgot who he was. Ananda, awesome job on the expansion! I blame Jake for Thin Men, not you.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

oswald ownenstein posted:

That's the assrape french convoy mission, right?

I just had my first time success at it without casualties. By abusing the fact that I've failed at it enough to know where the thin men drops are going to happen.

I thought they were Spanish, but yeah.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Also to the other poster, it was french in two of my games - it may be a random nationality chosen.

No, if you both got French it's probably French, I must have not been playing particularly close attention to the briefing.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Just got a new American Recruit whose last name is Jensen. As soon as he hits Squaddie, those limbs are coming off.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Meis posted:

I failed the first progeny mission too. Does that mean I'm locked out of it forever? I distinctly remember failing the first slingshot mission in EU and getting it again. Also I said no to the wale mission because my good soldiers weren't available and now I'm worried it'll never come back too :(

Yes, you're locked out if you fail seems to be the consensus.

That mission sucks so loving hard, and I'm about to try it again. I have a Squaddie and three rookies, and two medkits. It's likely half my squad won't reach the survivor. gently caress Thin Men.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Anony Mouse posted:

On a lighter note, does anyone else color code their classes? I use white for support, red for assault, black for sniper and yellow for heavy. :3:

I color code my four-man squads. Blue Squad's my A-team, Red Squad's my B-team, Yellow Squad's my C-team. MECs and Reserves are Black, and Rookies wear standard colors and the crappy helmets just after Guile-hair. Psychics are White. As people die, Reserves promote to full team members to fill the needs of the team.

I'll rotate teams out each mission, trying to give the team members time to heal, but that's not working out with EW's more accelerated mission frequency. Right now I'm basically throwing together ad-hoc teams to plug holes.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

gently caress you, aliens!

I'm in July in my current playthrough, and I've not managed a single capture yet. Not one. Every time I try to set up for a capture, either I fail the 90% chance, the target suicides the turn before I can try for the stun, or the captive ends up dying because of alien explosive fuckery. I'm running two assaults with flashbangs and arc throwers, and twice I've run out of charges on the throwers without a capture.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

haha We Have Ways is now a U.S. perk :allears:

We earned that perk one atrocity at a time.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Vengarr posted:

It's alternate universe according to the IGN story. X-COM never managed to get advanced alien tech, the aliens steamrolled humanity and the organization went underground (figuratively, they were already underground literally...) in response.

But I'm convinced there's going to be some crossover with Enemy Unknown. Why would Solomon throw out that "Oh yeah the Volunteer is still alive and this might be important haha" tweet? Why would they bother to point out that it's a direct sequel? The Volunteer is definitely going to show up, and maybe original-universe XCOM too. Maybe the endgame is finding some way to contact them and have them bail our dumb asses out.

Wonder what alternate-universe EXALT looks like. Maybe they're just Advent.

Volunteer surrendered in the final mission, loving over XCom and driving them underground?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Hace posted:

I'm excited about XCOM 2 and what's this about snake tits?????

This is a new enemy:

And then Internet happened.

Zomborgon posted:

It has begun

Just sit back and accept the inevitable. Here, this will help.

edit:

Coolguye posted:

Okay to be clear the actual snake tits are NOT going in the OP

This is the right and proper decision.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Pantstoid will be a late game enemy

No one alien should have all that power.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

One of the biggest problems is that the game is only moody when you play a night mission, and if you're smart you will never ever ever do a night mission

Light enough fires, and no mission is a night mission.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

This person gets it. When night fell, I'd burn the cornfields so I could see and kill the xeno by the light of the scorched earth.

:hf:

All incendiary, all night.

All HE, all day.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd like to know what that one true strategy is and how it keeps a thin man from blowing off my supports head on turn 2 of the map.

Rockets. The answer to thin men is rockets.

Less smartass answer, if you have active aliens, you either kill all of them this turn and stop them from shooting you, or you pull back and set up an overwatch ambush out of sight of the aliens. You only move in a way to reveal on the first blue move of your turn, giving you the whole turn to kill aliens, and you never end a turn in sight of an alien.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

Once you have mecs, you can play like a total idiot without consequences.

If playing a six-MEC terror mission under strict punch-only rules is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I don't feel like the One True Strategy thing is true in EW at all. There are a handful of different ways to tackle the early game, all with their own perks and downfalls, and each of them have different ramifications going into the mid game.

Maybe call it a tactic, not a strategy. I agree that there are several paths for EW strategic play. For instance, I go heavy MEC, plan to get genetics started in July or even August, push out three Sats a month starting in month 2 until everyone's covered, and use the base assault as a panic reducer when I'm about to lose a country because there're too many red countries to solve with Sats. I don't pretend that's the best or the only way; some people beeline lasers and push for five sats out in month 1, others go for squadsight bio-skinned snipers and mimetic skin scouts.

But when it comes to the tactics, it really does come down to "Can I kill everyone on this screen right now, or do I need to pull back to a better position and try again next turn?" The tools are different because the strategic side is different, but the tactical goal is always the same. Kill, or set up, but don't give the aliens free shots on your troops.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Coolguye posted:

If I had a nickel for every time I wished for death while topping up mags I wouldn't have to work anymore.

And I'm just a hobbyist shooter, not a military or law enforcement professional.

No joke, I shoot my .22 more than anything else because it's the easiest to load over and over. Make that a decision in XCom2, "No, boss, listen, it's just swoletoid, he doesn't even wear armor. Let's just take the 10/22, save our thumbs for next time."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

A D&D 4th edition mod would slide easily into an XCOM engine game. Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard as your four classes.

Everyone just runs 4-wizard builds.

Edit: Wait, 4E? Nevermind, that's the good edition.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Coolguye posted:

This is the basic formula for all games in the series and all games that are in xcom's vein. Any game where single turns can translate into a lot of damage and damage means something will boil down to this meta game. Even Chaos Gate boils down to this in Bolter vs Bolter combat because even if 8 rounds just flick off Brother Severus's power armor, the 9th can kill him instantly. You handle it by suckering the traitors into the firing arc of a set up heavy Bolter.

What I am saying is that this feels like complaining that jumpman games all have platforms.

I'm not complaining, I like vanilla over LW, but LW does add in more things to prevent it from being an either-or game.

In vanilla, either you kill everything on screen this turn or you fall back because you don't want to make a bad situation worse by triggering pods; you don't have to play this way, but doing anything else makes things much harder on you and makes it more likely for thin men to start sniping through high cover because you let them set up for that shot.

LW makes the situation worse regardless, and you're given more specialized/varied classes to deal with. It introduces more complicated decision points, but complicated isn't necessarily better. I'd argue that the reason LW removes the "One True" from the tactical game is an over-emphasis on complicated randomization that makes the game more opaque to play and impossible to guarantee success via any particular move. The multiple random systems and the changes to the strategy game are why I've never gotten further than June in a LW game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

LW claims that you can lose missions, but I haven't really found that to be the case - the best runs I've done are where everything goes perfectly and that allows me to get into september without getting assfucked - ie. I have enough troops with enough rank to get the OTS upgrades (due to good missions and not losing soldiers), the equip I need (due to not losing poo poo and being able to shoot down UFOs), and the research I need.

If you don't do perfectly well and complete all the missions you usually start on a death spiral where you're not even aware that you're going to lose the game because so far you're managing and then wham it's 5 floater + 1 muton pods or double mechtoid pods and you run into a mission where you just go "what the gently caress ever"

I'd say that you can lose a mission or two and still win the campaign if you're smart and lucky (which you can do in vanilla as well, fyi), but for me LW just isn't fun enough to put up with the bullshit that is in it.

Taffer posted:

Use battle scanners. You start the game from mission 1 with an infinite supply of them. Information is more important than that 3rd pidly grenade or that 4th mostly useless armor plating.

We're talking vanilla when we talk about the "One True" idea, where battle scanners aren't immediately available. Once they're available, they're a great piece of gear, but they're not as readily available as in LW and can't be depended on as they're tied to specific leveled-up soldiers. Mimetic skin is a better equalizer, and I think that the statement that "it breaks the game" is more because it offers the first really feasible tactical alternative to the established "One True" tactics. Also, the fact that it literally breaks pods probably ties in a little.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

tooterfish posted:

I do love how everyone's talking up this procedural "quilt" map system.

Has anyone acknowledged that's exactly how the original built its maps yet?

Jake talked up X-Com's original system back when EU came out, and made it clear that the programmers told him it was impossible and that it was the one big thing he didn't get in. I think he's going to play it coy now to avoid gloating, but he knows.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

This is something I don't agree with at all. I'd much rather play regular Xcom than Long War because Long War adds a huge amount of bloat that I don't consider an improvement. I don't think the game needs to take even longer to complete. I don't think the game needs 8+ classes with skill overlap. Does there really need to be even more weapon tiers and weapons to go along with that? I get that some people enjoy an infinite amount of options but a lot of people prefer a simpler approach, because many of those options end up being inferior to others so you don't bother with them anyways.

I'm not saying its bad to enjoy that stuff but I think saying its better balanced and designed than regular Xcom is wrong.

I feel like there's a difference between saying "I don't like LW because..." and "LW is broken because..."

You're basically saying why you enjoy vanilla better, and I agree with you. But there's definitely a loud minority of posters who flat out say that LW is broken and bad, which gets the backs up of people who enjoy playing LW because they're being told that their fun is wrong.That's what Beagle seems to be calling out. LW is an ambitious, frankly impressive mod to a game that wasn't built to be modded, and given what it's trying to do it's crazy how many things it gets right rather than wrong, and many of the things that people complain about are editable in the .ini files.

I'd recommend anyone who enjoys XCom try LW, but they should feel obligated to love it or to hate it or even keep playing LW f they don't find it fun. Vanilla and LW are two ways to play, some people will like one and some will like the other. We're goons, so we tend to fight about being right but in this case it's perfectly ok to have the opinion that it's just not your cup of tea. Posts that say that one or the other is the True Way to Play lead to fighting and make the thread harder to read, and it seems to happen about every 5 pages or so.

Moddington posted:

On the other hand this is specifically the kind of thing that I hope they do take into account, because vanilla's style of "you have literally 0 loadout options to start, and all weapon options are straight upgrades (except rifle vs. shotgun)" is just terrible.

One thing I liked with LW was the distinction between the (I'm going to get the name wrong I think) the Sniper Rifle and the Marksman Rifle. Choices like that are interesting, but I don't think you need to have a breakdown like Machine Pistols/Pistols or the Carbine/Rifle/Heavy Rifle. You can, and I hope it gets modded in for people who want it, but I think that if you get right down to it you can make a case for making a meaningful choice in weaponry by offering two dynamically different weapons for each class. With five classes and overlapping weapon choices, you could have call it six distinct gun types for the five classes. It's not complicated for complication's sake, but still gives more choices and tactical consideration.

Basically, if your choice has flat increased damage with a trade-off, I'd leave that to a mod.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

LibbyM posted:

It does break then? I wasn't sure. Yah I'm complaining about nothing then if it will actually break eventually. I wasn't sure if Lasers were just too low tier to ever break it or something, after the first dozen or so shots.

What's the UFO type? Are you comfortable exploiting bugs? I know that some UFOs have hidden holes you can walk through in the hull, though I do think you need flight to exploit them.

If you're interested, check out the LOFTEMPS.DAT page, it might give you a way to cheat through a wall.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

That LW has become the defacto 'way to play XCOM once you're tired of steamrolling vanilla' is a testament to success. Or that any of us even care to bitch about it.

It's really just a case of them having nailed so many things right, but then so many things are dumb that leaves you scratching your head.

I'd agree, LW is a success. It does exactly what it was intended to and then some.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Exposure posted:

Since some people probably want a break from the never ending Long War debates:

Sadly I have no idea who actually drew this, was just linked by a friend on IRC.

If I can go back to suiciding Rookies into aliens, I will go through so many rookies. Off hand charged grenade for every rookie, the X-Com way.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

sassassin posted:

Why does that snake have a defined and shaded crotch? And why is the armour designed to draw attention to it?

Look, if I had a defined and shaded crotch, all of my clothes would draw attention to it as well. Alas, I'm a goon, and "defined" can not be used to describe any facet of my body.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can we make a list of mods the game needs? From what I've seen in this thread the list starts with:
- No snake tits
- Bigger snake tits
- Tits on everything
- Porting EU/EW
- Aztec Jaguar Aliens
- Heroes of Might and Magic conversion.
- Time Units.

- Play as the aliens.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

raverrn posted:

Most wanted mod: Lightsabers.

Assuming that's not already in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Pohl posted:

That said, gently caress bomb missions.

I believe you mean gently caress thin men. They're the root of the problem.

• Locked thread