Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I remember in the last thread somebody posted a mod that removed the Hit percentage and crit bump enemies got on classic, anyone got that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So I'm starting again to finish my classic playthrough. Is the DLC mission pack that came out worth it?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Spiffo posted:

Also if you go with Mind Control and the enemy you're controlling dies, everybody gets a Will penalty for seeing an ally die. Inspiration also removes this penalty.

They still haven't patched this!?

What's the point of mind control if you can't make a muton suicide bomb his squad?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

amanasleep posted:

Some new Enemy Within details on a dutch website:

November 15th Release Date.
New Storylines.
Extends some existing maps.
Adds new maps.
Doubles number of MP maps.
New Mech Trooper class (!)

It might be asking too much, but I hope there's way more than this in the expansion. I want civ 5 levels of refinement and adding content.

[e] Though I'll happily take it if it's just to tide people over for a Apocalypse remake next year

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lotish posted:

One of the articles pointed out that they're trying to make some of the "no brainer" perk choices more difficult. Up Close and Personal is being changed so you get a free shot when within four tiles of a target, so you can move, take a free shot, and then move again back to cover. I like the sound of that!

And Deep Pockets is being changed so it doubles all item usages (so does that mean six charges on med kits?) and the existing Deep Pockets is becoming a Foundry option that gives the existing bonus to all classes!

I wonder how they are going to buff the non-squad sight sniper skill to compete.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

As far as new weapons go I hope they add an intermediate rocket launcher or make the blaster launcher come much sooner. It always bummed me out that the game is basically over by the time you get an upgrade to the rocket.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think people just want a apocalypse remake already.

This DLC looks like it would be the perfect segue into the apocalypse remake.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So uh.. is there any reason to built an Shiv when you have a mec solider?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo the Crysilids infecting a fishing ship was genuinely terrifying. I hope the other new missions can keep it up.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

comatose posted:

I feel like this is something thats come with EW. When I started my new game I was getting snipers constantly (think I had 4-5 at one point) when all I wanted was an extra heavy. Games now making GBS threads supports at me and I still only have 2 heavies and 2 assaults (was 3 but exalt killed one) out of my 20 odd roster.

This exact same thing happened to me. I had to do quite a few missions with 3 non-squad sight snipers.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Those shots where everyone's taking their actions at once really makes me wish for some sort of cinematic replay for missions. It couldn't be that hard to save all the moves done in a single mission, then string them together for a quick replay. Since time pauses only for the player to get their orders out carefully, and the battlefield is, presumably, still moving in realtime, it would be amazing to see all the units moving at once, each turn lasting just a few seconds, the entire confrontation from start to finish done in like a minute. But then I imagine that's not possible because some of the moves do rely on the order of things. If a turn is someone blowing open a wall, then everyone rushing through that, you can't have everything play at once or people are going to run through the wall before it's demolished.
Still, a cinematic "real-time" replay for XCOM has always been a cool thought for me. :allears:

This was a really cool feature of frozen synapse.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I watched the XCom2 trailer and couldn't comprehend what I was seeing or why it was important - soldiers stealthily get into place and then launch some guerilla-warfare style attack on a group of hodge podge aliens, uh, sure - but it reminded me that I bought Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within in a Steam sale and hadn't played.

Four hours in and loving it, I realized all the other countries were leaving because I forgot to build satellites and had no way to control the panic. That's cool, I want to start over anyway now that I know what I'm doing and won't take stupid casualties the same way I did earlier. This time I'll start with Enemy Within now that I know it blends in to the original game and isn't "XCom 1.5".

Then when you beat EW you can play the long war! :unsmigghh:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Now that I think about it did UFO ET 2 ever come out? I remember it was supposed to come out around the time xenonauts and vanilla EU were released.

[e] They would be crazy to remove robot dudes. Maybe they are just designed more raiden-like instead of heavily armed death machines.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I love the smoother transition between overwatch shots.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think the geoscape changes are what I'm most excited for in Xcom 2. It seems like it's less trying to please others than flat out surviving.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I never went fist over flame thrower but I'm totally going to try it next playthrough.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

amanasleep posted:

Shanty Towns are ballin'.

Also hinted that XCOM destroying people's homes may have in game negative effect.

Really looking forward to XCOM 2: Terrorism Simulator.

Playing through EW I wish the game reacted more towards you're actions so I'm fine with that. Maybe the more shady/destructive stuff you do makes it harder on the geoscape because people think you're a bunch a terrorists.

[e] Are we getting a MEC equivalent? those dudes were the funnest part of the expansion.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 4, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Really liking them making the UI smaller and clearer.

The Geoscape actually looks fun this time around too.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 10, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

My computer should be able to run Xcom 2 ok if it can run the first one great right?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I like that squad sight was so good even after nerfs that they just made it the default sniper skill. That plus the pistol being a free action might finally tempt me into having some mid range snipers.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I don't want Xcom to change but I would totally play the poo poo out of a grimdark clone where you had to deal with the harsh realities of the poo poo you had to do to win. Xcom mixed with darkest dungeons could be cool.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Any time you go on a mission where you face an alien, your whole squad panics and gets PTSD forever.

How cool would it be if you had to let a otherwise good solider go because everyone on his squad hates him after he panicked and shot a teammate in?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Maybe interceptor combat would be better if it played something like ace patrol. As is it's pretty much just a static minigame.

As for the training roulette it would be cool if the equipment unique perks had alternate upgrades instead that you could never get normally.

Like, instead of the ranger's normal choice you'd have

the stealth perk (that can be changed with another non weapon perk)

or

alt blade master that adds +4 damage to sword attacks but you can't use it after a dash anymore.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Since the region map is randomly generate I wonder if it would be possible to make a mod to reshape the earth's geography to fit it. It's going to be kinda weird to have a random map overlayed on a static one.

I also can't wait until someone makes region specific assets for the combat map.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

They mentioned a gunslinger skill that lets you take a pistol shot at every enemy in line of sight.

Also, multiplayer is still in, I wonder how concealment will work there.

That sounds cool and actually on par with something like double tap

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I hope they gave the psi tree some major love this time around. Half of the powers were so bad you should never pick them which is super lame for something that's supposed to be rare and powerful.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Where would be the cheapest place for me to pre-order the base game?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Could somebody please link to the stream with jake?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I love how it seems like the design documents was just a bullet list of ways to gently caress up common EW strategies.

"Oh you like to play slow and careful do you? timed mission"

"Sectoids aren't worth your time? mega buff"
"You think you can just ignore civilians and just mob up the aliens as fast as possible? :unsmigghh:"

[e] Wow, this is coming out in almost exactly 4 weeks. I thought it was coming out the 16 for some reason.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 8, 2016

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Can't wait to play the new psi class. I'm glad my wish of the psionics system getting revamped came true and then some.

[e] I wonder if silenced weapons are a thing. Like, you can pick off enemies outside the site range of their allies during the stealth bits but they do less damage than regular guns.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 8, 2016

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Even reworked psi panic owns now.

Instead of giving enemies a 70% chance to get a free shot on your dudes they just get a random negative mental effect. the flash bang debuff that reduces aim, stunned for a turn, or even mind controlled. All 3 of those are useful in the situation where you would need to use a psi power to disable an enemy.

It kinda sucks you can only MC once though. I hope they balanced it out by letting you keep the unit the whole mission unless the caster dies.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

someone mod in telekinesis but make it act like the kinetic strike in EW tia.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Excavating rooms actually gets you money instead of costing you it this time which is great.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Speedball posted:

It does cost you time and the services of an engineer, so getting engineers is still key to expansion, but getting resources out of it instead of costing resources is pretty sweet.

Yeah I know. Doing it in the last game was a pain because you had to pay money too which sucked early game because you had to do so much with so little. This feels a bit more fair and should give you a bit more leeway when you first start a campaign.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Do we know if the game is shipping with second wave options? If I remember right I think we had to wait for them with EU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Speedball posted:

Yeah, it happened several times when Beagle was deep-teching for Magnetic Weapons early.

That's amazing. I know I tend to get hung up on the early game stuff I can do without like the carapace armor

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just hope it lets me actually enjoy the end game gear before I end the game.

[E] can't wait to see how hosed up the earth is after the end of Xcom 2. Come on firaxis lead in to apocalypse.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 14, 2016

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Kins posted:

Firaxis has bought in the Long War dudes to have some mods ready at launch. Which is pretty cool.

LongWar wasn't my thing but this is really cool and the perfect way to promote your openness towards mods.

How much did Beyond Earth's expansion improve the base game? I want to take advantage of the firaxis bundle but I already have all the heavy hitters besides beyond earth which was pretty mediore.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok, they need to do something about the Pectoid AI because those fuckers stupidly and continually choose psi-necromancery over flanking plasma shots.

I actually really like it. The sectoids are still early game units and are supposed to be easy. Making them have a preference for psi abilities still makes them way more of a wild card which is what firaxis wanted (after a certain point in EU sectoids became a non issue). They can mindcontrol you, raise additional units, or panic you in the background while your dealing with the more pressing ADVENT troops which is pretty fitting since they are supposed to be cowards.

I imagine this is also something you could fix with a quick tweak if you really wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Speedball posted:

Unrelated but I'm sure somebody in Japan made an XCOM fan-manga.

Does GANTZ count?

• Locked thread