Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
To be even more pedantic, the hyphen is implied in the negative space. I believe it's actually included on the patent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shalinor posted:

... that said, I may feel that way mostly because I never run grenades. Does anyone run grenades? I can never convince myself to outfit a heavy (or really anyone but a flying sniper, once I have enough) with anything but the extra carapace armor.

Grenades are basically the cure for the early game, and the best way to keep your initial soldiers alive to get levels is to ignore Dr. Vahlen completely and throw one out whenever the fight looks even remotely dangerous. Their usefulness does taper off quite a bit once you stop fighting Sectoids all the time, but they are amazing in their prime.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Neal! posted:

Have you guys ever run a kamikaze squad member next to a sectapod to get it to blow itself up with it's laser cannon? Because I just did that and it saved my arse.

I think it makes me a HORRIBLE commander though so it's a Pyrrhic kinda victory

You can stim up an assault trooper with endgame gear and have him just run up and headbutt Sectopods into submission.

Stims are ridiculous bullshit basically, but they're your bullshit so let the loving aliens see how it feels.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Nephilm posted:

Never not ghost everyone. Well, except snipers who're happy with archangel.

Give ghost armor to Snipers for even more guaranteed crits. With double-tap, headshot, and ghost armor, a Sniper can basically murder anything in the space of a single turn.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
That was also my experience with the temple ship. Final boss is triggered, delivers his speech, and is immediately killed by a sniper using a ghost armor crit into a doubletap headshot. Everything in the room goes poof, the temple ship goes boom.

Given that I had spent the midgame of my Classic Ironman run circling the drain after wiping most of my A-Team on an early Muton mission and had thus been neck-deep in Muton Elites and Sectopods by the time I could actually get around to finishing the game, it was the easiest mission I had seen in months.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Furism posted:

So I just started my first Classic difficulty game. I'm certainly learning to let some soldiers die. How the gently caress are you supposed to play when you can only each half-covers and Hunker Down because 4 Sectoids are on Overwatch and you only have Rookies?

Remember that aliens in Classic have substantially boosted critical chances. Simply by statistics, if you let them shoot at you a lot it's going to result in dead soldiers. Even with everybody in high cover, you want to do everything possible to prevent the enemy from ever getting to shoot back. Grenades solve a lot of your early game problems in this regard. They are guaranteed death to a Sectoid in cover or in tightly packed groups and can blow up cover for Thin Men so that another rookie can finish them off with a high percentage shot. Be very risk-averse and utterly unafraid to make Vhalen cry.

For some examples, I would likely throw a grenade if it was my best option to prevent a Sectoid from taking a shot at a soldier in low cover, since on Classic that's reasonably likely to be a dead soldier. If I had more Sectoids in firing positions than I was comfortable with (which on Classic means ~3), even with everybody in high cover, using grenades or maybe even a rocket to thin out their numbers before their turn would be a sound option. Heavies are very important, especially early on when you don't have any good Snipers, because their rocket is a Get-Out-of-Jail card for when you have too many enemies on the screen to thin down before they start killing people with simple volume of fire.

Getting and keeping levels on your soldiers so you can start building momentum on the ground game is a lot more important than some weapon fragments.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Control Volume posted:

so i dropped into an abduction at the gas station and after moving my guys to the station itself to clear it out, 3 pods of aliens decide to patrol into view from all angles and the turn after that thin men have used acid on 4 out of 7 of my troops while a floater was two squares away from flanking the 4 guys huddled behind the only car that would keep them from being flanked by the thin men. i somehow got out of this with only one guy getting mildly wounded. i don't know how or why. was the game being nice to me, is it going to be extremely mean later, im worried guys

If you dealt with this situation by telling Vhalen to gently caress herself and immediately blowing half the enemies to hell with rockets, that's actually just good planning paying off.

Early-game aliens are also quite fragile, so a little friendly rolling can cut down their numbers to manageable levels quickly.

I'm actually just getting into Vanilla EW after beating Vanilla EU right around release, playing both settings on Classic Ironman. Part of this is probably just me being better at the game than I was on my first playthrough, but it seems like EW makes things significantly easier. You have a whole bunch of new ways to rack up miscellaneous stat bonuses on your soldiers that can add up to a significant advantage and a second inventory slot that lets you slap a Scope on everybody in addition to their normal loadout, and this is without even looking at the huge boosts in combat capabilities from MECs and Gene soldiers. Seekers and MECtoids don't seem like nearly enough to make up for how much new stuff you get, especially since the latter shows up when you'd be dealing with similar opponents like Cyberdisks anyways.

EDIT: I really do like the way meld/operative recovery pushes you to take calculated risks in advancing quickly across the map instead of the tediously methodical and incredibly gamey safe advances of EU.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 24, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pohl posted:

If you are playing on Ironman Impossible on your second playthrough and you think the game is easy then gently caress you.
Oh, poo poo you said Classic. I take that back. That is still difficult and you should be proud.

My basic strategy is that experience points are the most valuable resource in the beginning of the game. Getting a team of useful not-rookies ASAP and keeping them alive makes everything that follows much easier, which basically means doing everything possible to minimize the number of aliens that get to take actions during their turn by being extremely liberal with explosives. For example, if I activate a pod of 3 Sectoids and can't get reliable killing shots, I won't hesitate to blow up two of them rather than risk three chances for my rookies to get :xcom:'ed on the enemy turn.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think we should all just be thankful to the aliens for giving Valen a (relatively) safe, healthy outlet for her darker impulses.

In other news, I hit a nice bit of X-Karma. After loading up as save from last night, I went to scan for activity and was harshly reminded of the landed UFO contact I had decided to end my previous session on. Now France is about to leave, and they already have a satellite so there's not really anything I can do about it other than hope they've got some EXALT activity!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pohl posted:

If you played on normal you should replay it on classic before you jump into long war.
Seriously, Classic is a completely different game.

If you play long war you are going to hate the game and yourself.

For emphasis: on Normal the game cheats for you in little ways. In Classic, this is replaced by giving the aliens lots of little bonuses to things like aim and crit chaince while giving all of your guys less health, such that Sectoids getting mindlinked and then critting one of your dudes out from full cover is a totally ordinary experience and Thin Men are terrifying assholes who can live through a grenade and alternate between a guaranteed bullshit poison attack and casually one-shotting your soldiers.

Like seriously if you leave someone in light cover against a Thin Man on Classic they are going to die.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Vanilla EW storytime, continued:

I managed to save France by live capturing a Sectoid and an Outsider from a landed UFO, interrogating/investigating them with the South America bonus for a ~2 day skeleton key, and blitzing the Alien Base with my Colonel stack (my roster has actually gone up without ever recruiting any soldiers because I have gotten more new soldiers from abduction rewards than I have lost) in the last week of the month.

Now I'm getting hosed a little bit on the Base Defense because it happened immediately after I sent some B-Teamers to clean up an EXALT mission. Everyone was home safely with no injuries, but I couldn't be bothered to juggle equipment between every mission so half my Colonels were unequipped. It's not fun trying to take down Berserkers with ballistic rifles. It's kind of a lovely mechanic, since the only way to deal with it is to either never change up your squad between base attacks or to obsessively micromanage your inventories between missions, which is a callback to the original that probably wasn't what the developers intended.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Back in my first EU playthrough on release, I ran my Snipers with Ghost Armor not for the actual invisibility, but for the free crit on decloaking. Decloack Crit > Doubletap Headshot gibbed the Ethereal the instant he appeared.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Gyrotica posted:

Yet again the world has fallen victim to the alien-industral complex.

See also: leaving up discovered alien bases in the original X-Com so you could farm the supply ships coming to them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Internet Kraken posted:

Not directly related to this, but I think flashbangs are a trick once you get too anything with alien grenades. Cause it seems like flashing them is a great way to make them decide to just chuck a nade at you instead of taking a shot. Which is a problem because even if that shot would of hurt more, getting your rear end blown out of cover is going to get you killed by the next alien.

This has also made me wary of smoke or suppression. Giving an alien aim penalties is just asking for 5 guaranteed damage and a followup crit from his friend behind the next rock over.

Early game it's asking for the Thin Man to spit at you.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My base defense has crashed trying to resolve the same turn twice in a row now. I suspect it's related to a LoS bug regarding stairs, MECs, and boxes, lately featuring a Sectoid Commander mind controlling a MEC that didn't have line of sight to any aliens. Fortunately the game crashed before resolving the turn and the last time it did so it brought me back to the start of my previous turn, so everything will probably be okay.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Help me out, goons. Ever since the post I made about crashing during alien activity, I've been having constant instability issues. Typically what happens is that the game will crash somewhere during Alien/EXALT activity, and on a reboot will kick me back to the beginning of my turn before that (which is weird, since I thought Iron Man autosaved constantly). Replaying my turn will send it into another crash, though not at the same point during alien activity, and the aliens are prone to mixing up their moves. At one point I even tried doing a manual save at the end of my turn, if only to save myself from having to repeat it, but that caused the game to freeze without saving the data. The crashes are consistently repeatable, but restarting my computer seems to fix the issue until the next crash sequence begins.

Lately, a finished crash has been bringing up a new instance of the launcher.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cythereal posted:

Can the grogs please confine themselves to I/I runs and Terror From The Deep?

TFTD wasn't so bad until the first Cruise Ship Terror Mission, which involved two hours of me futilely combing the ship for the last Lobsterman before piling the survivors back into the sub and flying away to better games, never to look back.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Internet Kraken posted:

But If you could hire the security dudes I might feel bad about using them as cyberdisc bait.

Or intentionally getting them killed after they run out of grenades so I can get a reinforcement wave with a real soldier and maybe some fresh blueshirts with more grenades.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Is this the place to discuss the mechanics of the first (firaxis) XCOM? I looked for a thread dedicated to it and could not find one.

My questions is if the game weighs its difficulty in response to the players actions. I had a shot lined up the other day, 84%. Took it and missed, that's XCOM. Had another at 87%, missed as well. My third shot was at 99% and I couldn't believe it when it didn't hit. Either it was an incredibly large chance I missed all three in a row or the game told my characters to miss even if they would have normally hit, sort of like how Left 4 Dead spawns more zombies if the players are doing well in order to add tension. Has anyone missed several "banked" shots in a row? Thanks.

The game will never cheat against the players in this fashion, though I believe I have heard of bugs making it possible to miss 100% shots and the like. It was a string of :xcom:, possibly including a bug.

And don't worry, this is still the general XCOM discussion thread. You can even talk about the oldschool X-Com games as well, if you have any particular horror stories.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The design choices that went into EW show they've definitely learned their lesson about that. All the original missions designed for EW at the very least feature some kind of time pressure to keep you from inching through the map one pod at a time, and the addition of Meld canisters to normal missions provides you with a similar incentive to make calculated risks in order to move forward quickly instead of going for 100% safety.

Looking back, the cargo lander where I accidentally triggered a Cyberdisk, Mechtoid, Sectopod, and Sectoid Commander in the same fight with my squad partly spread out certainly made for some fun times (thank god for EMP).

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Microcline posted:

There's a reason both of the "guaranteed good" missions I listed were from Enemy Within. It did a lot to keep the game from getting old, even if some of the problems are baked into the game (interception, the geoscape, fixed enemy spawn story/council missions) and some of the fixes were one step forward and two steps back (seekers slowing down the pace and mimetic skin creating invisible spotters).

It's still amazing how much they got right in EU given how much of the gameplay they had to build from the ground up.

Oh, I know, I'm agreeing with you and also suggesting that they took steps to correct those gameplay issues in EW is indicative that they won't repeat the mistake in XCOM 2 and we will instead see more missions with active, engaging opposition. Hell, from what they've shown us so far it looks like a lot of the missions will be daring raids where holding the field flat out won't be an option, so the EU slow-clear mold should be pretty thoroughly broken.

For what it's worth, I actually like seekers and think they are a good addition to the game. If they were in EU they would have been a boring "mash Tab>Y until they decloak" kind of opponent, but when you're trying to push for the Meld you don't have three turns to stand around waiting for their cloaks to run out and that conflict of priorities creates interesting decision making for the player.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 4, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cythereal posted:

And to serve as an introductory mini-boss for UFOs before sectoid commanders and ethereals. Outsiders are old hat to pretty much everyone in this thread, but they are rather mean to new players and their guns hurt quite a bit more than floaters and sectoids.

The first outsider you encounter might be the most dangerous opponent you've seen up to that point. On Classic they have 90 aim and a weapon that can one-shot Squaddies on a normal hit.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

poptart_fairy posted:

It should be pointed out that in the vanilla EW at least, EXALT have no idea how to handle an agent with mimetic skin. They can sit in a control zone doing their thing and EXALT troops will just dash about not having the faintest clue how to solve the problem. It's cheesy as hell but, hell, war ain't fair.

Too bad I already killed EXALT, because doing this is a mimetic operative and 6 x Squadsight Snipers sounds hilarious.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shumagorath posted:

Does anyone have a system for picking which troops to turn into Mechs? I read that Heavies get the best stat growth at Lieutenant and everyone else gets their best aim at Colonel, but my main problem is that all the human classes are so good it's tough to give up a Heavy who's got Suppression / Dangerzone / Mayhem let alone someone who's able to load four alien grenades and 2+1 rockets.

The wiki goes into good detail on it. Basically, MEC troopers have similar aim progression to heavies (worse than everyone else by a significant margin), and everyone gets a bigger-than-average aim boost at Colonel. Notably, a Colonel Sniper who gets augmented will have nearly 30 base aim over a soldier who was augmented as a squaddie, with the potential to get another +10 if they shoot without moving. This is important, since MECs don't get Scopes to make up for lackluster aim stats like human soldiers and that extra aim makes them a lot more reliable at knocking enemies out of cover or compensating for the high defense stats on lategame opponents. Even a normal MEC is still a significant boost in power when you first get them, so you shouldn't be waiting until you have spare Colonels to put into Paladin suits before you start using them. Rather, if you wanted to get optimal about it, lategame MEC duty would be a good use for your first batch of officers who were primarily trained before the Iron Will boost. As they get phased out by new psychic officers with 100+ will, you can swap out your original 80 aim MEC dudes with the 90 / 105 aim retirees, and being a MEC will even give them a bonus to their subpar will stat to help them not get BDSM'ed by every psychic opponent they encounter.

Too bad about the first batch of guys to bravely make themselves into quadriplegics who now have nothing to do but mill around the base figuring out how to jerk off safely with their prosthetic hands, but nobody said this war wouldn't have casualties.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 7, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hey, so I've made a few posts about this already that flew under the radar, but my stability problems are getting worse and google hasn't turned up anything useful. Playing a totally unmodded copy of Enemy Within, the game will occasionally freeze while saving. This most commonly happens during an alien activity autosave, but I've had it happen on my turn after doing something save-worthy, immediately at the start of a mission, and even simply scanning the geoscape. Restarting the game and attempting to continue will cause the game to freeze at the same point, and trying to save manually beforehand will also result in a freeze. The only way to break the freeze cycle is to restart my computer. One final oddity is that, after closing the frozen program from the task manager, the XCOM launcher will initiate itself without my input.

This started out as an occasional annoyance, but it has now reached the point where I can't finish a play session and my most recent mission has encountered the freeze bug twice in what was probably less than an hour of actual XCOM.

Verifying the game files found and fixed one error but did not prevent the game from freezing, disabling cloud syncs did not help the issue, and entirely reinstalling the game has been similarly unhelpful. My game is, again, entirely unmodded.

Please help, I really like XCOM but it's reaching the point where I can't really play anymore.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Just gave it a shot at my current freeze position, it still froze. Makes sense if disabling cloud syncs also wouldn't help. Steam already runs with administrator privileges and it can save most of the time, so it shouldn't be a write issue or anything like that. The only thing I can imagine is that I have also streamed XCOM from my account onto my girlfriend's laptop, so maybe that's somehow confusing it with savegame locations, but the freeze has no correlation with whether her laptop is even on.

The most salient thing seems to be that the freeze is 100% reproducible. Once it starts freezing, it will freeze at the same point every time until I restart the computer (or if I manually save before it freezes itself), which always fixes the issue until the next time it starts freezing.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Iron Rose posted:

It might be a dying hard drive honestly. Check to see what SMART errors there are.

Plausible, since my HDD is going on 6 years old, but no other game is having issues like this. That does remind me though, that EW is also having rare texture issues where hires versions of textures will refuse to load. I've only spotted it a few times (and played for an hour or so with one of my MECs trapped in a lowres body) and I don't know enough to make guesses based on what it means. Again, this is an issue exclusive to XCOM.

Give me a little bit to find out how to view my SMART errors.

EDIT: cmd > wmic > diskdrive get status turns up OK.

Here's the windows crash info:

quote:

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: XComEW.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.9040
Application Timestamp: 531774e6
Hang Signature: 43ff
Hang Type: 2048
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 43ffcb3d99c0dc72168bf0a42505a052
Additional Hang Signature 2: 1c93
Additional Hang Signature 3: 1c9365d55b16a534f79f4ad0796fa944
Additional Hang Signature 4: 43ff
Additional Hang Signature 5: 43ffcb3d99c0dc72168bf0a42505a052
Additional Hang Signature 6: 1c93
Additional Hang Signature 7: 1c9365d55b16a534f79f4ad0796fa944

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 8, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shumagorath posted:

You won't like this but when Dawn of War 1 started hard-locking my machine it was the first indicator of a failing motherboard. I don't know what the average age of your PC parts are but at the very least the texture issues could be GPU related. Start saving up for a completely new box if you want to avoid wasting dozens of man-hours and restocking fees when replacement part X doesn't solve the problem.

It's possible. My machine is six year old gaming rig, so it's pretty much at the end of its operational lifespan as is and the parts in it are generally far enough out of date that replacing any one component would need a new everything else to match. However, I just did a scan with a trial copy of HD Tune and everything came up green and I have yet to have similar problems with any other game, so I'm not hitting up newegg just yet.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Martello posted:

I dunno, I guess because I play pretty aggressively, I find the Heavy is usually left so far behind the front line that he/she doesn't even get to shoot that often.

Also my Assault COL once killed a Mechtoid with one Rapid Fire.

I think MECs have stolen a little bit of the Heavy's thunder. Collateral damage is basically infinite grenades with rocket range, they have tools for AoE damage and terrain clearance, and an even harder-hitting primary weapon that can also shoot twice in the same turn. A lot of that stuff was exclusive to Heavies back in Vanilla and I wouldn't have dreamed of going on a mission without one, but in EW I usually have a MEC or two on every mission so bringing a Heavy or not isn't a big deal unless I'm expecting to need rockets for some reason.

The other thing is that Heavies only really come into their own when you're struggling. A rocket can absolutely save a mission when you've got too many enemies on the board in a way that no other class, not even a MEC, can replicate, and HEAT ammo is a lifesaver if you're struggling to take down mechanical opponents. If you're ahead of the curve on tech rocking a full squad of Majors and Colonels three months into the game you might not feel the urgent need for those abilities, but my first Classic playthrough was won on the back of rocket launchers.

EDIT: HEAT was also 100% bonus damage in Vanilla, though you should still take it every time since the alternative might just be the worst ability in the game for the class it's given to.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 10, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shumagorath posted:

Having just come out of a mission with a Sectopod and Mechtoid standing back to back, I can definitively say that Heavies will always have a place in my squad even on Army of Four. An Alloy Cannon, at point blank, tops out around 5 damage. A Heavy with HEAT ammo beats that even without a Shredder rocket applied first, and the only weapon that can beat them is an Assault MEC in close combat where they'll invariably be hurt by the death explosion.

Army of Four has made Classic difficult just because it's impossible to have a good cover for every group of enemies if you want to bring even a single soldier along to train them up.

I'd venture that Army of Four and similar challenge modes are when you're going to need the Heavy's pocket full of "oh poo poo" buttons the most.

As a general combatant they're a bit inflexible and they have a hard time just making shots, but when you need a Heavy there is no substitute.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's really janky and weird that vanilla XCOM handles rocket accuracy by giving them a 90% chance to be pixel-accurate and let you do ridiculous 360noscope trick shots with one of your soldiers and a civilian both a hair's breadth out of the blast radius on opposite sides and 10% chance to go totally wild with no middle ground whatsoever in between, and that there is also no such thing as an easy or difficult shot. Either you are unerringly accurate down to the millimeter or you are nowhere near the target and distance to the target or partial obstructions are total non-factors. It makes a lot more sense to have a cone of accuracy, such that a rocket will probably land in a given area and a safe shot will still hit close enough to do its job, but you would be very cagey about using them anywhere near your own troops. Grenade Bankshot Allstars is another weird one.

I mean, I shudder to imagine how hard it would be getting through the first two months if explosives weren't the reliable tool we have now, but it is definitely a weird mechanic and I would be happy to see it revised in XCOM 2.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Let me also pop off a huge thanks to Internet Kraken for the tip on smoke build supports. I'd been sorta autopiloting towards Medkit builds because that seemed more intuitive, but holy poo poo, AoE heavy cover that stacks with normal cover and applies to MECs is totally loving nuts. It's almost a rocket-tier "oh poo poo" button, and you still get two hits off the medkit in the end anyways so it's not even a big sacrifice to take it. Lategame statball enemies like Muton Elites are a lot less bullshit when your squad can spend half the mission in a cloud of equally powerful bullshit.

Smoking saves, always smoke.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 11, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think the beginning of the game sorta pushes you towards medkit builds. Early on Smoke is only a +20 bonus and limited to a single use per mission, so it's not nearly as powerful, while a soldier at <full health is in serious danger of getting one-shot by the next enemy they come across, so being able to keep people topped up is an intuitive and somewhat reliable way of bolstering squad longevity. You don't get pushed towards learning how to use smoke, so when the game offers you more medkits or more smoke it seems like an easy decision.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Suspicious posted:

So huh, missions full of thin men on classic. Wow. It goes really well until it goes terrible wrong. Drops from the sky, runs half a mile, jumps 5 stories up and 1-shots my main gal under cover + smoke from across the map like it ain't no thang.

My question is how? On ironman, I mean.

Thin man drops trigger reaction shots from your own soldiers and often leave themselves out of cover. Contrary to what the game implies, the VIP is actually in no danger whatsoever until activated by XCOM, so take your time clearing out the map thoroughly and have your soldiers set with good visibility to take shots at the thin men as appear before you begin the escort session.

You really want to do everything you can to kill them before they get to take an action, and with their naturally high aim from classic difficulty combined with the aim bonus from light plasma light cover is basically a death sentence against them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Vib Rib posted:

Except in Long War where they decided it would be a good idea to have them drop down only into high cover and automatically go into overwatch. :downs:

That's still workable, you just need to be more proactive about using grenades to clear out their...oh...

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
*hits Muton Elite with disabling shot*

*Muton Elite destroys Meld canister with grenade*

It's almost funny how much strategy comes down to riding the line of how much you can gently caress with the enemies without provoking a grenade toss.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Alien progression is tied to the month, not your own advancement in the story. Milestone missions can trigger other changes like the command pod in UFOs, but you will otherwise be facing the same opponents on the same timeline.

If you have panic locked down (full satellite coverage, EXALT destroyed) there's nothing stopping you from farming aliens until you have a full barracks of genetically modified psychic colonels and Paladin MECs, but if you are already at the point where you can clear out a battleship full of Muton Elites and Sectopods there's not really any reason to keep dragging your heels since the Temple Ship will be the easiest mission you have seen in a while.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Welp, my instability reached a header. Somehow the Rift power bugged out so that it's aoe remained active after use, causing one of my favorite colonels to get blown up by an invisible psychic maelstrom over the course of two turns (taking initial damage moving into the area later in the turn where it was cast, and then again at the start of next turn, which killed him while prompting a bleed out notification).

RIP XCOM, probably RIP my motherboard too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Corvinus posted:

Uh, that's how Rift actually works. It sticks around through both side's turn and then disappears at the start of the caster's side next turn, seemingly doing a damage roll at the same time.

Oh. It would have been nice if it played a graphic.

Guess I can just suicide my squad and start over.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

IronicDongz posted:

The Ratchet and Clank games implemented dynamic difficulty tuning exceptionally well.
Part of this is how almost no one who played those games seems to be aware that they had it

Some form of adaptive difficulty can be really good game design. People have a bad taste about it because it's usually only noticeable when it's done badly.

The issue with XCOM is that it has a difficulty hill. Increasing the difficulty or downloading Long War or turning on second wave options can make the hill longer or higher and thus increase the amount of time the player spends climbing it instead of coasting down it, but the player will ultimately spend the end of the game in victory lap mode. This is a good and intentional design decision, but the nature of the difficulty hill combined with the fact that progress in the game is largely a feedback loop means a player can spend too much of the game coasting and not enough playing.

• Locked thread