Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holotargetting will do more for you than a second 40% chance to hit. Come mid-late, Heavies become irreplaceable with Heat Ammo, and at that point I start taking two on every mission. The 2-4 rockets that come with them work as a nice "reset" button as well. 2 support/1 support+rookie, 1 assault, 1 sniper, 2 heavies got me through end-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Coylter posted:

What is the point of being able to make multiple save game if you can't get away from lovely RNG? Isn't it basically just letting people save/load but using a sneaky programming trick to make sure you can't really change the outcome.

I mean wouldn't it be simpler to not let you reload at all and just antosave in real time. At least you wouldn't be under the illusion that the save / load function serves a purpose. Am i missing something?

It's not a programming trick, it's just an RNG seed. You can change the outcome by reading the loving OP.

To your second question, there's an option for that when you start a new game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mustang posted:

I missed this on sale yesterday for $10, is there a good chance of going on sale again for $10 by the end of the sale? I really want to play it and it's temping to grab it for $20.

The last day of sales is typically a wrap up of the best sellers during the sale. Xcom went on sale like three times, and topped the charts each time, so theirs a decent chant it will show up.

I keep crashing when I try to suppress with my supports, is this common?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Red Crown posted:

Unlikely, yeah. Then I missed again, which is a statistical absurdity. Must have been something up with that mission.

It happens. What is with people treating high numbers like a guarantee? :psyduck:

I'll never stop getting annoyed at people asking things like "how did that 90% shot miss?'

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MechPlasma posted:

If you're talking about TBSes, I am required to profess my undying love for Massive Assault.

Why do people love Thermal Generators anyway? They're not as cost-efficient as stacked regular generators.

They save you space and time in excavation.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I played this game before on PS3 but stopped due to the bugs, so I ended up selling my copy and buying it on Steam during the summer sale. Do you not have to opt in for the beta anymore to get the patch with the bug fixes? When I go to the Beta tab for the game, the drop down doesn't have any choices, just "none, opt out of all beta programs".

You have the enter skyr@nger

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlRvnwHuYA

An impressions video about The Bureau with footage he recorded at some press event, interspersed with fedora talk. I can't tell if it's actually difficult, or if he's just really bad.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, it took hundreds of hours spread across the year since release, but I beat Ironman Impossible. What do I do with my life now?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MechPlasma posted:

Oh, well that's not so bad after all then. Especially since the cooldown from two missions is 2 weeks total anyway.

I'm calling it 'cooldown' because 'fatigue' is just too stupid.

I'm not really sure how "cooldown" makes more sense when fatigue would be the actual technical term for what your soldiers are dealing with.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My only customization scheme is -

1) Rookies get jack poo poo

2) Everyone else gets Guile's hair and are assigned a Power Ranger's color.

3) It's not my a-team, it's HERO SQUAD

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

What gets me the most is that snap shot gets an aim penalty on top of the base ability being inferior.

Yeah, I feel like it squadsight should have the aim penalty.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MechPlasma posted:

Haha, yeah. I'm sure this time they'll fix the big bugs! We just gotta believe!

At no point in my XCOM career have I ever equipped anyone with a LPR. Why you'd even research it is beyond me.

Because they're good on rookies, who can't hit poo poo.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jet Jaguar posted:

For me, it's that they only recorded a handful of lines for him, and I am really tired of every terror mission being in a "densely-populated urban area."

Wish they'd recast him as Zapp Brannigan for Enemy Within. "We'll take out this UFO and it will collapse like a house of cards. Checkmate!"

I didn't know I wanted a Zapp announcer in dota until the post and now my life feels empty.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 30, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is it November yet?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The deeper military game is why I was never able to go back to Civ 4. 4X Advance Wars was too much fun.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

I recently got back into this, and got pretty much the worst UFO crash (so bad it had to be a bug).

It was one of the larger ships that has a big opening in the back that you start at (but not the battleship). I make my way in, and 2 overlords. I move up a little farther to get a shot and against the wall were about... 10 enemies. Heavy Mutons, Berserkers, Cyberdiscs, drones, and that huge mech thing. I played 1 more round and said gently caress it and reloaded, and I haven't seen those mechs otherwise in my game yet, so I'm definitely thinking bug. I should have grabbed a screenshot, it was pretty terrifying. About 2 or 3 solid minutes of reveal animations.

Abductors can clown car pretty hard. I like to handle them by wrapping around to the side, going up onto the roof, and work from the command room to the front. Better lines of sight for you, and better cover. You just have to blow up the final bump whatever on the roof, while having everyone stand 3 spaces back. The commanders won't have poo poo for cover, and will melt before they have a chance to retaliate as long as you have an assault to catch anyone who really books it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

aegof posted:

I've decided that I don't mind Thinmen.

Sectopods, though. gently caress Sectopods.

I've literally never lost a soldier to a Sectopod. By the time they show up, you've got a double tap sniper, danger zone heavies, and assaaults making GBS threads out alloy cannons. I didn't even know what a sectopods attack looked like until the final mission.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thrilled to get Xcom'd in the late game. Once I'm running around with colonels and titan armor nothing even lives long enough to shoot me back.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
More intelligent enemies won't solve "Almost everything is dead before it ever has a chance to shoot back," which is what ends up happening to everything past the alien base, even on impossible.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah seriously.

Dude begins a mission, moves a Heavy first (??) though thankfully into hard cover, runs into a pod of three EXALT who immediately flank her, then he decides "hurr let's overwatch"

Literally said "what the gently caress are you doing!?" out loud.

Like, if they start out by loving up the existing game mechanics that badly then I doubt they're going to put in a good showing for the rest of the mission.

Is there a video of somebody who has actually played this game before playing EW? because this is just painful. At least when the developers demoed it in PAX they were deliberately making bonehead moves and joking about it in order to make things more interesting.

Only 5% of the playerbase have finished the game on Classic. Most people don't play like us, people posting on forums about the game are probably the only people who actually use the auto-win tactics we take for granted.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/XCOMEnemyUnknown/achievements/

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Huh, the achievements list makes it look like there might be a couple of arena-style minigames wrapped up with EW.

I'm actually super stoked about one achievement hinting at a horde mode. Everyone dies :getin:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TalonDemonKing posted:

Go to deviant art.
Type in X:Com.

http://si-fu.deviantart.com/art/XCOM-Fifi-La-Fume-001-400616885

I don't understand

edit: I'm reminded of how much I would be all over an X-com cartoon. The premise is already a saturday morning cartoon, it would just need some atmosphere and tension to capture that X-com feel. Aim it at teenagers or something.

I mean, come on, this is 100% kid's cartoon intro, and it rules for it.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 17, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

"Americans. :rolleyes:"

Why are minorities always killing machines in my games.

I have fond memories of my first Hero Squad, which ended up consisting of five black women and some German dude.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been saying this for years, so who do we have to kickstart for an Xcom cartoon?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really don't want to see another xcom expansion. I'm kind of bummed we're getting this one. I'd rather see them make a totally new game with the core mechanics reworked and improved.

That's exactly what most Firaxis expansions are, though?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Before I pre-order the expansion, previous talk around Games has given the impression that GMG always has a 25% off code or something. Is there one right now I could apply to EW?

Edit- RE: Reviewers and difficult; the game becomes loads easier once you have experience under your belt, so I think it's plausible the reviewers are just better at the game than they were when EU came out. Even early game, nothing short of ironman Impassic gives me a challenge anymore.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 7, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
100% broke and all I wanna do is play EW :negative:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can we talk about the little crouch waddle Mecs do getting out of the transport? :allears:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nnnotime posted:

I'm in month 3 of Ironman Implassic and doing terrible due to RNG and some dumb tactical mistakes. Being on the rooftop in the construction yard helped some floaters to a free round of "squaddie massacre".

At what point in Ironman do you call it quits? It's feeling like a deathmarch at this point and I'm eager to start over and try some different strategies, and my discouragement with this game contributing to the tactical mistakes I'm making. I have only a few rookies left and no mecs and the second terror mission is coming in a week or two.

You're in your death rattle already.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just had 5 missions in a single week, capping off with the first terror mission. I have no loving clue how you're supposed to survive a week like that early on when you're still working on your a-team, let alone having your entire a-team in sickbay half of it.

Less than a day after the terror mission I aborted, medium UFO, with my not-rookies having mere hours left in sickbay. Okay, gently caress you too, Xcom.

Edit:Oh, and to make matters worse my only steam vent is in the bottom left corner, so half of my build time and money had to be devoted to power concerns. 4 man squad at the end of the month two, and no gene mods or foundry.

Edit:A landed UFO two days later, as I think it's safe to send my only heavy to get gene modded :bravo:

:xcom:

Edit: gently caress thin men

Edit:

Well, that I/C run was a clusterfuck

Pomp fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 25, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, for the first time ever I didn't even get a message about the Council Mission because it spawned at exactly the same time as a terror mission AND an abduction mission. I just noticed it up at the top when I got done those two missions before I even got to hit "go."

:psyduck:

I'm dead certain that mission density is bugged right now. Every run I've tried since I got EW has been so dense that I actually went to check that I properly uninstalled long war. I ordered new recruits two days ago, and have had three missions in the intervening time. 60% of my barracks is in the hospital, I haven't had three days to breathe for two months, and this has been the norm across all of my EW runs.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tehan posted:

I always give my MECs beanies because I worry that they might be cold since they're strapped to a huge chunk of metal :ohdear:

Commander Grandma also has fresh cookies and cold milk waiting for soldiers after a mission, and crochets memorials for the fallen

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PirateBob posted:

Is the Blaster Launcher worth getting :confused:

Yes. It upgrades your rocket damage, and lets you ignore LOS.

Just did the Exalt raid for the first time. Wasn't sure what to expect, and thanks to a mixture of bad "impatient" play + a missed rocket, I ended up revealing 12 Exalt by turn two. This is why I roll with two heavies and lots of grenades :owned:

Edit:And then I find out all three of the colonels I sent for psi testing are psychics. Get wrecked, aliens.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 26, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish Beserkers were an actual threat. I haven't felt threatened by one since release. I want them to show up sooner, or had damage reduction like Sectopods. As is, they just give me a better shot at them every time they get hit, and might make a squaddie panic in the meantime, oh no. If they showed up sooner, your men would have less will, and are less likely to be fully kitted out in lasers; alternatively; their free move into an easier place to shoot would be a lot less laughable if damage reduction meant they weren't guaranteed to just fall over after 4-5 shots.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's completely worthless due to the overwatch aim penalty being identicle to low cover, and being locked out of abilities.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Exalt AI should be similar to Fire Emblem: Awakening. Enemies in that game are suicidally obsessed with killing your men, to the exclusion of all else. Self-preservation is a foreign concept.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 3, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't think up a response to that more apt than "lmao."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NeoSeeker posted:

It actually was a thing, supposedly.

Except it wasn't xcom, or even a full game. Project hull breach. Look it up, then cry yourself to sleep tonight that a concept as awesome as that has become vapor ware.

Oh yeah and there has never been a single concept since, that I know of, that's remotely like project hullbreach. Don't say that lovely game the freelancer guy made on cry engine. The on ground gameplay seems to be a lovely afterthought.

I'm talking you shot someone's air tank/tube they'd go flying off into space and die... I could go on but just look it up.

:nws: http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hull-breach/images/senallin-baroness :nws:

:geno:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really want a horde mode type thing, with the point buy system from multiplayer, and randomly generated cover between waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've always taken the alien base after carapace and full lasers. That's a bit delayed now by mecs and gene mods competing for money and base space, but I'll consistently get -

One mechtoid + sectoids

Two drone packs

Two chryssalid packs

A cyberdisk

One pack of floaters

Either a pack of thin men or a pack of muffins

On classic. Haven't played impossible enough to remember with that kind of clarity.

• Locked thread