Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013

Darkness5780 posted:

I haven't payed attention enough to notice, but if one of your units die, does all of the pimped out gear on them become lost/destroyed as well?

Nope, not unless you have the newgame+ feature for that turned on (I think it takes an Impossible win to get).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I wish I could tell my useless soldiers that I would send them to battle in pots and pans if I could, to really put the fear of God into them. After that story mission all my best guys are on sick leave and I have to take on some aliens with B-listers and rookies. Is everyone supposed to die in the very first tutorial mission? All my guys did bar one, which seemed mean because the game told me where to place everyone.

Yeah, the game murders 3/4 dudes in the tutorial. I guess to desensitize you or something? :xcom:

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
Not enough grenade love in here. They tear up cover, and are a great way to ignore ethereal reflects.

Except on impossible, they'll one-shot sectoids, and even then you kind of need to soften 'em up.

Moreover, taking defensive items is what makes defensive items useful: if you pack more offense (grenades and alien grenades, mind shields on psychics), you won't need the defensive stuff because aliens won't get to shoot back.

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
I'm surprised that people are saying Slingshot missions are tough, they aren't really, save maybe part 2 on impossible (and classic if you're racing for the time cheevo). And the reward for part 1 (Lt Heavy with superior aim/will) and part 3 (mountains of allow you can turn to cash) are crazy good for making the strategic game easier.

Unlike most missions, they're fixed challenges, with almost every enemy location being a known. Part 2 can be rough if you can't pop a muton + 2 thin men per turn, though.

That said, they are kind of bad, because its just choosing to get huge benefits for taking on 1 harder than average mission.

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Firaxis decision to link the patch to the expansion seems a wee bit bizarre, what with these lovely bugs still being around 1 year after release :psyduck:

Can loving hope they release the patch to the base game as well.

Maybe its related to how they have to pay to patch on consoles, so they're waiting until there's a matching income stream to do it. Though that's still rear end to customers.

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

So....is a room full of 9 chrysalids in the UFO base normal on classic? My poor squad of captains didn't stand a chance.

EDIT: no mods installed at all

Yup, definitely can happen. Just have to creep carefully and try not to over-reveal (though the sight lines in the bases can make that tough)...But if you have enough rockets/grenades, maybe manageable?

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
^^

Was it? I mean, they had some sort of neat alien concepts, but a few of them needed more fleshing out/replacing (like Tasoths). And supersonic submarines were a bit :psyduck:, not to mention why mind control didn't continue to work underwater (all those first war psychics weren't any good anymore?), how implant-based "molecular control" affected humans, and plenty of other weirdness.

Though undersea aliens with a fair bit of Cthulu-esque weirdness wouldn't be awful, and the sea floor was definitely spookier than farmer's fields, I'm not sure the world needs more TFTD. I'd rather see an Apoc reimagining, as that would make an even better boardgame geoscape.

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
Anyone have any protips for alien retaliation ? I guess I need to have another MEC, or just throw more base security out of cover to draw fire? I killed my last ironman run on it, so now I'm wimping out, but its still a pretty tough road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013

Spacedad posted:

shiv love

They're incredible, especially for speeding up your advance to meld (you can full move them at it with indifference before the heavies/sectopods show with the upgrades) when you don't have cloakers/full cover (like on UFO crashes or midgame).

That said, they really need some customization options, plus I want them to hit the memorial...lost one with 40 kills.

• Locked thread