Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo Mimetic Skin is the most broken thing in the game. Scouting with Mimetic Sprinting Support troops and then wiping out the aliens with Squadsight Snipers at 110+ AIM is my new favorite thing.

Edit: Seriously it should probably have a restriction that if you get flanked by an enemy then you become revealed, because as it stands it's the best ability in the game IMO.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The base defense mission was absolutely brutal for me. I had no idea it was coming, and most of my A-team was in the med bay, leaving maybe 1 A-teamer, 2 B-teamers and 3 squaddies. I had maybe 3 laser rifles between everyone which was alright - everything else was ballistic and I had just finished beam weapon research - but the worst part was how the game decided to equip my accessories. Most of my squad had no accessories equipped, and my one decent support guy with Field Medic had an arc thrower instead of a medikit, which meant I couldn't heal during the entire mission. I'm pretty sure at least 2 of my squad had basic armor equipped too so they had 5 or 6 hitpoints... long story short, the mission was a disaster.

What's crazy is that the spawns on that mission are completely random. I know this because I had to restart the mission around 5 times due to getting wiped out. Sometimes a Mectoid would drop at the start, sometimes a Muton, usually paired with a Chrysalid. Sometimes Cyberdiscs and Drones would come through the back, other times Floaters and Sectoid Commanders. The random nature of the spawns means that you can get really, really, really hosed sometimes. I remember one attempt on turn three I had two Cyberdiscs, two Drones, two Mectoids, and two Chrysalids in the command center. On another attempt I hadn't even fought my way out of the command center and five motherfucking Mectoids had spawned across the map, along with a few Sectoid Commanders and Cyberdiscs for good measure.

gently caress that mission, I hate it so much. It's fun in theory, except that the enemy drops are completely overpowered for that stage in the game, and due to their random nature they can literally be impossible to overcome. I was playing on Classic Ironman, and I gladly savescummed my way to victory for the sake of my own sanity (and since you can restart the mission even if you fail on Ironman who gives a gently caress.) On one attempt the game glitched out and no enemies spawned - I ran around the map for 30 minutes hoping that I'd get a free pass on the mission, but the game wouldn't let me proceed and I ended up grenading myself to death since you can't manually restart.

Anyway...

On a lighter note, does anyone else color code their classes? I use white for support, red for assault, black for sniper and yellow for heavy. :3:

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Bugs aside (you absolutely need to keep save backups every hour at least, even on Ironman) the biggest issue with this game is definitely the pacing. There is a huge, HUGE hump to get over in the first 3 months, and after that hump the rest of the game is trivialized. EW makes this even worse because once you accumulate enough gene mods (or MECs I suppose, I haven't tried them yet) and medals your troopers are absolute beasts, but on the flip side it adds a huge amount of difficult early-game missions.

Of course the game is still a blast and I've put over 100 hours into it, but I don't think there's any hope of ironing out these fundamental inconsistencies. I pray that they make a sequel, and that it is awesome, and that its campaign is more dynamic and responsive to the player.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

General Battuta posted:

Ahahaha, I've just been dealt maybe the biggest :xcom: of all time. Pushed through an entire Ironman run, made it to the Temple Ship's final room, and there's...nobody there. The room's empty. My squad's kicking back and trying to decide what to do with their new starship.

I'm hoping a save/load will fix it, but right now I feel like Charlie Brown whiffing on the fate-of-all-mankind football. :shepface:
This is why even on Ironman you should always, always back up your saves every couple of hours. There are just too many game-breaking bugs you can run into.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Finally finished a true (hard to break a save-scumming habit) classic ironman run. I rushed sats the first month which was awesome, but then I screwed up the geoscape in the 2nd month and didn't get enough satellites up to control panic. That combined with delaying the base assault too long resulted in losing two countries in month two. Then I got mimetic skin and a snapshot in-the-zone sniper with HEAT ammo and well... From month three onward was the unfortunate cakewalk that you'd expect.

It really is frustrating how inconsistent the difficulty of the game is. It goes from being incredibly punishing in the first month or so, to a yawn-fest alien meatgrinder towards the end of the game. The sweet-spot in between is so, so good though; it's a shame it only lasts about 8 weeks.

For my impossible ironman run I'm definitely rushing for SHIVs and robo-techs ASAP because holy crap sentinel SHIVs are amazing and the perfect counter for my least favorite enemy in the game (sectoid commanders). I didn't realize how drat good they are until a single alloy SHIV soloed 3 sectoid commanders like it was nothing. From then on I ALWAYS took at least one SHIV. And proximity mine traps are pretty much my favorite thing now.

Edit: has anyone finished impossible ironman with all of the extra difficulty modifiers turned on? That would be nightmarish.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 30, 2013

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought they nerfed that, or was that just the ghost armor cloak?

Actually that reminds me; whats more effective with memetic skin, titan armor or ghost armor?
The cloak ability of ghost armor is unavailable if the soldier has mimetic skin. However it's still probably worth it for the mobility bonuses.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

jng2058 posted:

So yeah, Flush still sucks.
Actually, AFAIK Flush breaks enemy suppression and overwatch, which is super useful in Classic and above. Maybe you've just been using Flush wrong. :colbert:

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Paul.Power posted:

Just had the game glitch out with one of my soldiers getting critically wounded, but when my medic tried to stabilise her... "No targets in Medikit range". It was on the flat "entrance door" area outside an Abductor UFO, if anyone else has had this problem.

Rest in peace Colonel Dominga "Fast Lane" Vega, psychic support with Lightning Reflexes. At least I got some revenge by mind controlling and stunning one of the Sectoid Commanders.

Sometimes saving and reloading will pop the wounded solider back into medikit range.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah apparently they changed it so that you can Run & Gun and use the arc thrower on the same turn? I'm 90% sure you couldn't do that in EU but I'm not certain.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah unfortunately for Supports, with training roulette on there is virtually no reason to use them. All of their best skills can be rolled on other classes. The best support I ever saw had smoke and mirrors, deep pockets, AND grenadier. She was going to be the ultimate grenade-throwing badass, except she promptly got gibbed by a floater.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brotato Broth posted:

I'm just going to start ignoring council missions entirely from now on. Thin men are poorly designed bullshit regardless of difficulty.
Thin Men loving suck, but it's for all the right reasons. They fill a very important niche in the aliens' arsenal. Calling them poorly designed is a bit of a stretch. I can definitely understand the frustration at having your favorite heavy get sniped while hunkered down by a Thin Man halfway across the map, though. :xcom:

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'd like to see NCE bump up the cost of hiring soldiers to offset the fact that you can get some ridiculous rookies if you get lucky. I think the whole idea is that the cost of hiring more soldiers in order to cherry pick the best ones becomes a money sink, but since rookies are cheap enough to be near-negligible you just end up hiring 10 for $150 and are almost guaranteed to have at least 2 or 3 with 70+ AIM. A single 80 AIM rookie is arguably more valuable than anything else you could buy with $150, especially at Classic and Impossible difficulties. If rookies were $25 or even $40 each with NCE it would really make you think twice about gambling hundreds of credits on the off chance you'll get someone gifted.

Edit: a nice alternative to NCE might be tiered hiring. Rookies with 55-60 aim and low will are $10, 60-70 aim and medium will are $25, 70-80 aim and high will are $50, etc. Then you could really throw those $10 rookies through the meat grinder. :getin:

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 11, 2013

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Woozy posted:

Did anyone get a good idea of just how on earth he made it through the strategic layer with all of those Second Wave settings? Even on impossible there comes a point where you can basically fail upwards but this seemed completely undoable when he first started.
I assume you're familiar with his stream - it seemed like it was pure luck, really. He had to restart so many times just from losing one single mission. Even if he was doing well tactically (which is where he shines) with a 100% mission success rate, there were times he lost the geoscape purely due to evil RNG. Eventually he just got a perfect storm of having good soldiers (three heavies and a MEC carried him a loooong way) and a lucky string of missions.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
You do realize that you can lose seven countries and still not lose the game, right? Two satellites in the first month is fine. I don't find the geoscape all that different between normal and classic. Just prioritize satellites like you'd do anyway, only use them on panicking countries, work towards beam weapons and carapace and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
ITZ is so much more powerful than Double Tap that it's not even funny. Yes, I can see the appeal of Double Tap since it's basically Bullet Swarm for Snipers (which is what, a Squaddie level ability on Heavies?) but people who say ITZ is "situational" seem to be ignoring the facts that 1. you can destroy cover like nobody's business, 2. with Snap Shot you can flank aliens ridiculously easily, and most importantly 3. the MAJORITY of enemies in the game by the time you get ITZ don't even use cover anyway. Floaters, Heavy Floaters, Seekers, Sectopods, Mectoids, Cyberdiscs, Drones, Chryssalids, Zombies, Berserkers, enemies on set spawn-and-overwatch points in council missions, etc. And the kicker is that since ITZ does not burn any actions you can wipe out the entire battlefield with one Sniper and STILL have two actions left. I seriously don't understand how anyone could argue that Double Tap is better.

As for Snap Shot vs Squad Sight, I think Squad Sight is definitely more powerful, but Snap Shot is pretty good too and I almost always take it. Mostly because it's boring as hell to use Squad Sight Snipers and a pain in the rear end to position them and your squad and it slows everything down and ugh. I much prefer the extra mobility of Snap Shot.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 14, 2013

• Locked thread