Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The #1 player on Xbox "Rockstar Chris" is seriously the biggest oval office I have ever seen in a video game. 300 wins, 24 losses, 105 disconnects. He is an absolutely terrible player, and I have literally beat him every single time I have played him and he pulls some loving disconnect right before he gets killed that doesn't count as a loss, every single loving time. Naturally, being the mature adult that I am, I called him out on it last night and got into a half hour long flame war with him. The toolbag literally put "#1" as the first word of every message to me. Rot in hell Rockstar Chris you absolutely worthless no skill cheater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I haven't had a chance to play multiplayer since the game came out. Is it really that unbalanced and buggy? I was hoping for something that'd be really intense and not boiling down to One True Build. Was hoping it'd be my next Dawn of War II :(

I don't even know where to start. It's really fun but completely hosed.

amanasleep posted:

He keeps registering new profiles on the 2k forums, shitposting, then getting immediately slammed/banned by the mods. To avoid derailing onto some well deserved hate for that guy, I will try and draw you into an erudite discussion of the merits of XCOM multiplayer for the benefit of goons who haven't tried it out yet.

What are your top 5 favorite things about XCOM MP?

I'm glad someone else is aware of that poo poo head.

In regards to your question, The MP is just fun. It's broken but drat fun.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 19, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAH, no. Not by a long shot. Turn it up.

What? Yes it is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You guys on PC are really missing out on the COD dimwits we get on Xbox Mp. Getting called a "camping human being" 20 times in 2 turns by some borderline retarded redneck and him never even getting a shot in is glorious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha. That's pretty great.

This guy was literally the most hilarious person I have ever played against. I dashed out to cover and by the second turn I hear some redneck drawl going on about camping faggots and how I better stick around after he beats me. So I pop out and he had lined his entire team up behind destructible half cover. I then ran my SC into his visibility range and he said "mind control me I'll still beat you human being". So I grabbed my mic and told him "nah I'd rather just blow you up" and lobbed an alien grenade at him, destroying his cover and crippling his whole team in the process. then I just killed him with the rest of my squad in 1 turn.

I poo poo you not this guy called me a human being at least 20 times over the course of this 4 minute match. :thatsxbox:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesus I have literally gotten nothing but train yard in MP for the last week. That's like 20 matches of the worst map in a row. Jesus.

Edit: Just ran into a new awesome bug in MP where dashing just wigged my guys out and made them run in completely random directions. Every time I think they've out done themselves at making the most poo poo MP, Firaxis brings it to the next level. They really deserve some sort of anti-award for making hands down the most butt hosed multiplayer mode in ANY game I have ever seen and literally doing nothing about it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 26, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

amanasleep posted:

I have a strong intuition that there is a big MP patch in the works, but the mode is so messed up that it is taking a lot of time to code and QA. The reason I believe this, paradoxically, is that they made point adjustments the first 2 months after release and have done none since. If they intended to do no more for MP, they would be doing point adjustments now to shut people up. Instead they are waiting to adjust the meta until the bugs are fixed.

I expect that the major fix is a brand new PC UI (most bugs are from this). Netcode fixes would be great but I bet they are the most difficult problems to work on.

The rest is easy stuff like making disconnect = loss, better matchmaking, 120 second rounds to ameliorate the effects of remaining bugs, point balances, more maps (and fixing the map bugs in the current ones), and more MP modes.

Please note this is pure speculation on my part, but I think there is no reason why they wouldn't. They have GOTY awards in pocket and strong sales, so there would be no reason why continuing resources would be tight.

Edit: the other reason for hope is that it's clear from the promo vids in pre-release that Jake Solomon LOVES MULTIPLAYER XCOM.

God, I hope you are right. I know most people only play for the single player but I absolutely love MP. The broken poo poo sends me into a nerd rage yet I still keep playing. Hell, I would be happy if they did nothing but make disconnect=loss. Seeing the loving cheaters crash to the bottom of the leaderboards would be glorious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

How loving terrible at this game am I? Next game I start will be #18. I've never completed the alien base; only attempted once. This is mostly on Normal after a few attempts at Classic, sometimes Ironman to curb my natural tendency toward savescumming. I feel like I've gotten a little better at the combat from watching a few videos, but still sometimes can't resist dashing a guy forward to end a turn and revealing a half-dozen Thin Men. I have no sense of the metagame at all. Build satellites, I know.

I like it but it leaves me with a sour taste that I can't make more progress in 30 hours, especially since everyone says Normal is no challenge at all. What's the name of the Youtuber whose videos were recommended a few days ago?

If you know that dashing out into dangerous areas is getting you killed why do you keep doing it? If you are having trouble on normal I'm guessing that you aren't playing defensively at all. Try keeping your squad close enough together that they can cover each other, find good cover, use overwatch/hunker down, and definitely don't dash unless you know it's not going to screw you over.

What problems are you having with the meta game? What does your research order look like?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 26, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is probably a dumb question, but as someone who very rarely plays PC games I have no idea. When you guys mod games to make them easier, do you still get the steam achievements?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

If you really care about achievements (or don't and just like collecting them all), there's a Steam Achievement Manager created by a goon. Google should lead you to his website. It's quite pink.

Oh, I'm actually on Xbox and I'm not much an achievement dude anyways, but I've always been curious about that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tyack posted:

By boring, do you mean it's the easiest tactic to win with?

I'm not sure why he's calling Berzerkers fun. They are easily the shittiest unit in MP. Also, if you want to play ranked the only way you are going to win matches is to have a 3+ smoke jumpers, then you can have fun with the other 5500 points left over.

Also, equip chitin plating and light plasma on the smoke jumpers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good call. Chryssalids are truly useless.

I disagree on the scopes. Chitin has saved my dudes asses from getting 1 shot hundreds of times. Scopes aren't worth the extra aim (not that scopes are bad) at the cost of losing chitin.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Once again I disagree? I have played over 300 matches and I know what I like to use. I don't need your advice and I wasn't asking for it.

Edit: Don't talk to people like you are some sort of zen master of Xcom multiplayer it's loving annoying.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 27, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry that reply was probably too intense, but chitin plating rules and should not be underestimated :black101:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chitin is super overpowered and lets you just scout the map recklessly until you find the enemy, because they probably can't kill you in one hit unless they are a plasma sniper or close range alloy cannon. You can basically just expose their whole squad and close in on it like the grim reaper 80% of the time and destroy whatever super unit they are using in one turn.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just had all my weapons disappear half way through an MP match. That's a new one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Playing through normal isn't all bad if you are really rusty at TBS. I played through normal ironman on my first run and thought it was hard as balls, then breezed through Classic ironman on my second with like 2 deaths and 1 lost country,

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My god AA squad sight plasma snipers need to be removed from MP. Not because they are super hard to beat but because they literally ruin the game. Everyone who uses them is an absolutely worthless cocksucker who spawn camps and turns 10 minute games into an hour.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 16, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I will buy the poo poo out of X-com on iOS.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone know if this is actually coming out on iPhone? All I have to go on is the video of Jake Soloman dicking around on Ipad and iPhone, but every news reports only seems to talk about the iPad. I swear to god I am going to shank a mofo if it ends up being an iPad only game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's up on iOS. I can't believe I am a download away from playing this poo poo on my phone. It doesn't even seem like that long ago that I was blown away that I could play Tetris on my green screen brick phone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I only played a couple of levels, but if anyone wants first impressions here ya go. Also, keep in mind I am playing this on an iPhone and I'd imagine it's got some serious advantages on iPad

-controls are responsive but a bit over amitious. I find that using a touch screen for soldier movement, camera and zoom leads to wrong inputs quite a bit. Luckily it hasn't led to any unwanted movement since you have to confirm everything but it is a bit inconvenient.
-Graphics look unbelievable for a phone game, but don't even touch the PC or console versions. Any sort of dynamic lighting seems to be gone which kind of hurts the aesthetic of the game a lot. The frame rate is passable but stutters at times.
-It doesn't disable power save mode and will usually turn the screen dark in between moves until you tap it. I hope they fix that.

Otherwise it seems cool as gently caress. Definitely not the best version on X-COM: EU, but if you are into the idea of playing it on the go and willing to re-buy a game you already own for $20 it seems like a good buy. I'll be stoked when they add multiplayer so I can go back to destroying people who don't know what they are doing.

Edit: the controls are pretty janky and frustrating. more so than I initially thought.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 20, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: wrong thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Coolest thing ever? No. I'd much rather see a follow up to EU, but hey it might be a cool game. It's interesting that they seem to have scrambled to make the art look consistent with EU and made up an excuse for it taking place in the 60's. It would have made the series so disjointed if they released it in it's original state.

:lol: Remember when that game was the big X-COM and EU was just some overlooked secondary project to appease the fans that were mad about what they did to the game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

Remember when turn-based games weren't "contemporary"?

Despite all the dumb bullshit, The Bureau does look interesting.

Yeah it really doesn't look like a bad game. It just had a lot of bad circumstances surrounding it. In the end I'm still glad EU got to be the flagship in the series though. It deserved it.

chiasaur11 posted:

There was a longer time when the general public didn't know EU existed at all.

I meant the marketing. They pushed the poo poo out the XCOM shooter and quietly announced EU a couple of months before release like it was some sort of supplement until it garnered big sales and critical acclaim, then all of a sudden the shooter went into development hell and 2K acted like they knew what was up all along.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 24, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

Jesus, would you just announce the new expansion/sequel already, Jake?

:mad:

Is it really that weird that they haven't announced a sequel 9 months after a games release? With the way the internet talks about X-COM you would think it came out 5 years ago. I followed X-COM on Facebook and literally every comment is "where's my sequel?" or "where's my android port?". Sorry dudes, but that poo poo just came out in October and Android users just pirate everything. Mystery solved.

I would like an expansion. I'm not gonna hold my breath at this point though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are you playing on impossible? Try retreating more maybe.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

amanasleep posted:

My personal feeling is that they are going in the direction of significantly redesigning the base and geoscape to better recreate OG XCOM's alien world takeover AI, and adding base invasions, enemy infiltrations, etc. This, plus new maps, enemies, weapons, and items, and bugfixes is all that is really missing from the first release.

I do not think they will be adding randomly generated maps (too difficult and crappy), but they may make maps more modular by allowing them to be localized to different parts of the world, have different weather/environmental effects, different sign text and building/vehicle art, different palette, etc.

It is unclear to me whether XCOM will ever get a significant multiplayer redesign, but I take it as a good sign that of the little official info released by Firaxis over the last few months has been the continuation of Jake and Garth's MP battles. From watching these it's pretty clear that Jake is a fan of MP. I believe that SP will always be the primary focus of the franchise, however.

All of this poo poo would be amazing. I would drop $20 easy just for those additions.

I personally think multiplayer won't really ever receive a proper fix, it just so broken at it's core that it would need a total overhaul. Hopefully they will take it more seriously in the sequel and we can start playing more competitively.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slanderer posted:

The ghost's cloak doesn't break poo poo!

Archangel armor makes my otherwise beautiful snipers giant loving targets without cover.

The free move wouldn't be necessary if they sent squads of enemies to patrol, others to search for you, etc....

Are you sure we played the same game? In the game I played the ghost's cloak literally makes you invincible and gives you the ability to scout without consequence for a limited amount of turns, and archangel gives you huge accuracy bonuses plus defense bonuses when you are in the air.

Space Hamlet posted:

There are also the loving thin men in the godawful council missions, whose locations you'd to best to simply memorize, causing those missions to play out in an extremely rote fashion

Or just go into overwatch every turn and kill them all before they can even do anything. Council missions are a joke since thin men dropping onto the map counts as movement on their part.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 26, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jimbozig posted:

I'm just imagining doing the burger king map, having to cross a parking lot full of lovely cover knowing that there are sectoids on overwatch in the building and probably around the truck on the left too as soon as I start the mission. I guess I'd be forced to go for the van on the right and hope it doesn't catch fire ever.

Yeah that mode would be really interesting if the aliens didn't overwatch or if their overwatch didn't trigger until you had finished your move (most likely in cover) Just getting hit by random overwatch constantly would be annoying as gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah except the AI would never get bored and just run out into your own overwatch to get squad wiped.

On that note they could make a single player mode where there is only one alien in ghost armor that thinks he's really clever and sneaky, but he just dies on the second turn every time. Or even better an alien that functions like an archangel sniper, that just hangs out at the spawn the whole time and hopes that his overwatch will save him after his paltry squad gets wiped out immediately.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slashrat posted:

[*]Enemy Within refers to working alien tech and genetics into the human body.
[*]They can't reveal exactly how they arrived at that theme until another "Key Feature" has been revealed.

I'm willing to bet the first point is mostly a lie and the name came from the unmentioned feature in 2. Base invasion.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lots of new new MP maps, but no mention of them even attempting to balance MP or fix the bugs/exploits? It seems like the first thing they should have addressed when talking about multiplayer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's good to see that they are rolling with the tradition of XCOM having the most baffling multiplayer ever on the iOS version. Half my squad disappeared in my first match. Woo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've just been poking around at reviews and I'm kind of bummed that everything seems to be new content with nothing that really shakes the game up. Would have been nice to see base invasions or in depth air battles or something. I'll still be buying it in the morning because I fuckin loved me some EU though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Spacedad posted:

You're in for a treat.

:toot: Nice. Between that and crash sites not just being boring empty woodlands I am now officially excited for tomorrow. Everything else sounds like icing on the cake.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow. I thought X-COM was kind of a big deal but the Gamestop by my house literally got in one copy for 360 and none for PS3. I had to make the guy go dig it out of a box. I guess most people still playing are probably on PC these days.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the deal with meld? There are a couple of levels where I only got one of them but the game have me both. Is that because I beat the level before the countdown finished?

Edit: also did they gimp classic or have I just played too much XCOM?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm having some LOS issues. Had a couple of times now where aliens have critted me when I shouldn't even be visible to them. Fuckin dumb.

BigRed0427 posted:

YEah, it gives you the meld if you beat the level before it expires.

Cool thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ravendas posted:

I think my game is doing this as well. I'm still in the first month, but I set the difficulty to Classic/Ironman, and I'm getting single/double spawns of sectoids all over, when Classic should be groups of 3, right? Or did they change that? I never saw a single sectoid group before in EU, and I've always played Classic or Impossible.

I think this happened to me too. Also, aren't sectoids supposed to have 4 health on Classic or am I remembering that wrong? They only have 3 in my game.

When I look in the options menu it says I'm playing on classic though :confused:

• Locked thread