Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

Flytrap posted:

You've never needed an evasion power to avoid that, you just had to sprint away.

Unless you're talking about end-game harpies or something, I only have experience with the first one you fight.

I remember in the original not being able to out roll/sprint it because my solution was to turn into a rock so I wouldn't get eaten. If I remember right mines stopped it too. Never tried punching it in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So I finally dropped some money on Delta and I've been messing around. It's a shitload of fun, but I'm struggling trying to find a good combination of sigils. I've been using an Arm Amp and leaning pretty heavily on those, but now I'm starting to find them way too slow with way too short of attack combos. Are there any other offering/sigil types I should be looking at instead? Spears seem pretty good but flipping through the thread they seem mainly for divine builds and I'm doing the opposite at the moment.

I do like the mortars I've also been using, though. They've been great for breaking hard to reach cursed parts.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Bussamove posted:

So I finally dropped some money on Delta and I've been messing around. It's a shitload of fun, but I'm struggling trying to find a good combination of sigils. I've been using an Arm Amp and leaning pretty heavily on those, but now I'm starting to find them way too slow with way too short of attack combos. Are there any other offering/sigil types I should be looking at instead? Spears seem pretty good but flipping through the thread they seem mainly for divine builds and I'm doing the opposite at the moment.

I do like the mortars I've also been using, though. They've been great for breaking hard to reach cursed parts.

Give stonefist a try. Fill the world with fists.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Belzac posted:

Give stonefist a try. Fill the world with fists.

Thank you for this amazing advice. I'd disregarded stonefist because of its short range at first, then I saw this and popped Elven Queen's legs with one charged shot of Cremation Clod. Now my life's work will be turning the world into a giant fist. And punching the sun. :black101:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Grim's Neutral playstyle is I think ideal for me; it's really too bad that the Grim Faction completely randomly assigns rewards. Takes a lot of the fun out of trying to do levels well.

I'm assuming there's no way to counter this or turn it off? Grim is always just purely random as to how many offerings you get?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aerox posted:

Grim's Neutral playstyle is I think ideal for me; it's really too bad that the Grim Faction completely randomly assigns rewards. Takes a lot of the fun out of trying to do levels well.

I'm assuming there's no way to counter this or turn it off? Grim is always just purely random as to how many offerings you get?

I'm pretty sure it's not fully random. I definitely seem to get better rewards when I get more end of level bonuses.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Because of branching paths, is it just not possible to have all allies alive at once? It's killin' my completionist OCD, I love collecting Saved Mans.

Maybe I should give up and just pick a set of 2 allies for each faction and ignore all others/let them die :smith:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Because of branching paths, is it just not possible to have all allies alive at once? It's killin' my completionist OCD, I love collecting Saved Mans.

Maybe I should give up and just pick a set of 2 allies for each faction and ignore all others/let them die :smith:

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if you do the sacrifice paths first, and then go back and save people on the branches and choose to rewrite the book accordingly, you can get them all.

I'm really digging the quality of life improvements in this release. Particularly the bonuses for the Grim faction. Being able to buff your damage even further as a dark arm character makes things go crazy fast.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Thank you for this amazing advice. I'd disregarded stonefist because of its short range at first, then I saw this and popped Elven Queen's legs with one charged shot of Cremation Clod. Now my life's work will be turning the world into a giant fist. And punching the sun. :black101:

yea stonefist (wasn't it called rising in vanilla?) got a big boost in delta, the fact that you can charge it while running now as well as the second charge level AOE fist forest have made it even more devastating. It's also really easy to get redmist sigils 3 and 4 early on.

I always feel like kind of an rear end using it online though as the AOE attack especially ragdolls the crap out of anyone close to the archfiend. I've taken to crab clawing the start button to warn people of my incoming EARTH FIST MAGIC!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

G-Prime posted:

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if you do the sacrifice paths first, and then go back and save people on the branches and choose to rewrite the book accordingly, you can get them all.

Huh, you're right. I expected that rewriting would kill off whoever you saved on the sacrifice path, but it seems they're fine. :downs:

And after saving someone, I can just rerun the pact, sacrifice the boss, and choose not to overwrite if I want to have the SE, right?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

CuddlyZombie posted:

Huh, you're right. I expected that rewriting would kill off whoever you saved on the sacrifice path, but it seems they're fine. :downs:

And after saving someone, I can just rerun the pact, sacrifice the boss, and choose not to overwrite if I want to have the SE, right?

That's exactly right. That's precisely the way I do it. I sacrifice EVERYBODY my first time through, save them the next time for the rewrite to get the alternate path (on the branching missions), and then don't rewrite again regardless of if I save or sacrifice. I just wish the game gave a clear indicator on the list of which option you chose when the page was last rewritten. You can see it if you go into the missions, though, so it's not that big of a deal.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
How do the Lure items work, and are they especially worth using? It seems odd they the bothered gendering them when for the most part you're fighting ratpeople or lumps of ice.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Six Of Spades posted:

How do the Lure items work, and are they especially worth using? It seems odd they the bothered gendering them when for the most part you're fighting ratpeople or lumps of ice.

You drop them on the ground and the boss, when they notice it, will walk over and look at it for a while, giving you a chance to beat them up. When it wears off the lure will dissapear and you can drop another for a decreased effect. There's so many to get you to bring different ones. On top of the regular lures, Harpy also really like food so if you bring trees she'll run over and eat the tree, acting like a lure.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Is there any info out there on how the offering(s) chosen affect rumors / blank pages generated? It seems like I can't find any solid data on that.

Also, if I'm in Sanctuarium, what exactly does Sacrificing or Leaving to Fate do on the field? It says one Enhances Magic and the other Revitalizes Body but I have no clue what that actually translates to gameplay-wise. I'm assuming "Enhances Magic" refers to more than just the normal raising of the magic meter that sacrificing gives, because that would be just stupid.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is there any info out there on how the offering(s) chosen affect rumors / blank pages generated? It seems like I can't find any solid data on that.

Also, if I'm in Sanctuarium, what exactly does Sacrificing or Leaving to Fate do on the field? It says one Enhances Magic and the other Revitalizes Body but I have no clue what that actually translates to gameplay-wise. I'm assuming "Enhances Magic" refers to more than just the normal raising of the magic meter that sacrificing gives, because that would be just stupid.

Enhance gives you a temporary damage buff, revitalize gives you a temporary speed buff (similar to the circles you can find around the fields). You arm will glow red/green to indicate that the buff is active.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Mango Polo posted:

Enhance gives you a temporary damage buff, revitalize gives you a temporary speed buff (similar to the circles you can find around the fields). You arm will glow red/green to indicate that the buff is active.

I see! Thanks!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh god, this game stopped loving around somewhere around Illecebra. That was the first time I've taken multiple attempts to kill an archfiend, and the harpy right after was much beefier than her previous incarnations too. I like it.

I swapped my faction to Grim and rewrote my arm to mess around with some weapon/throwing sigils and I'm finding it a lot more fun than Avalon's stonefist/explosives were. Faster hits and less likelihood that archfiends will move out of my arc of fire after I shoot a mortar are a fine tradeoff for (significantly) less damage per use. I was tackling Cyclops earlier though, and it really is a pain to hit his eye with throwing since there's so many other spots it will lock onto before I can aim at it. The trident went down like no one's business though. Does throwing hold up at all, or am I better off using mines as a sort-of ranged option/easier way to get elemental hells to go off? I see Belzac's super weapon focused build and it's looking mighty tempting to work towards eventually.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Endless Alice has been a great way to test how well I 'get' the mechanics of this game. Unlike single missions, you pay so much more attention to being efficient, and how to best work alongside a team. No one sacrifices other players unless it feels like a last resort, because no one wants to be a lone wolf when 6 floors of blood sweat and tears are on the line.

That said, my last run had the other three members kinda burn out on a Jack O'Lantern fight (who kinda feels like the Great Jaggi of Soul Sac to me now) and we hit the partial Alice fight with all their Black Rites used. We sent her packing with only me left alive and the ghosts joining in with found weapons.

The sigh of relief when she took enough damage to leave the fight, my god. I think that's the third time I've beaten that floor now, but I've not gone deeper yet. I'm not sure I'm even able to until I unlock the 'Up to Rank 15' mode, however the hell I do that.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Six Of Spades posted:

The sigh of relief when she took enough damage to leave the fight, my god. I think that's the third time I've beaten that floor now, but I've not gone deeper yet. I'm not sure I'm even able to until I unlock the 'Up to Rank 15' mode, however the hell I do that.

Complete the 1st and 3rd Grimm Campaigns, it unlocks the new ending storyline.

There are a lot of silly things you can do to sort of cheese Alice. One of my favorites, even though Belzac doesn't believe it's as useful, is that Phoenix Fruit (Wallblossom + Healing Fruit) can do amazing things in Alice. When you're getting low on offerings, you can sacrifice the Grimm member of your party for Yggdrasil to restore all offerings, and float them through the following floors with Phoenix until you reach another revive point, thus restoring your pocket Yggdrasil for when it's needed again.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Are grim rewards truly random? I've maybe run 7 missions and have yet to get anything but 1 reward.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been grinding this out, and it is insane how much extra content is available. Is there a good resources for combo spells? The most random one I've seen so far is using the mine bulbs on a veil of the same element will create a plant cannon that fires on everything in range for about 30 seconds.

If I want to do a scattershot mortar, how do I combine the mortar and tuff spells?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I've only just got the original ( Delta isn't available on the EU store. :sigh: ) and is it just my bad luck, or is the multiplayer screwy? I connect, then immediately lose connection. It's not my router settings doing something screwy with my Vita, as I have no problems playing Killzone / Dragon's Crown online. :confused:

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

limited posted:

( Delta isn't available on the EU store. :sigh: )

It totally is, at least in Great Britain and Germany.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Argh. gently caress. I only saw the original on the actual vita PSN app. :psyduck: Don't suppose you can use your save data from the original in Delta? Nevermind. Actually read the store description. On actual content, I love the weird voice effect on the journal entries. Most games usually go too far in one direction, but it's just right to make it creepy. :allears:

limited fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 20, 2014

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
How do I increase my intelligence? Is it based on the total number of offerings collected, or unique offerings found? Thanks in advance.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
It's unique offerings. Gotta catch 'em all.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
What is the general consensus about factions? I've been running with Grim lately but I don't really know if that's optimal. Right now I'm about level 45, with a dark arm 1.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

DeceasedHorse posted:

What is the general consensus about factions? I've been running with Grim lately but I don't really know if that's optimal. Right now I'm about level 45, with a dark arm 1.

Grim is optimal if you're splitting approximately evenly. Sanctuarium is for high level Light Arm, Avalon is for high level Dark Arm.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I wouldn't recommend Grim for farming offerings. Even playing like a champ, the randomness will gently caress you in the butt.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Valid. By the way, for getting a large variety of offerings (and boosting Int), Alice's Maze is a loving godsend. It's hard. Really hard. But with my character imported from the previous game, I got through floor 6 with a difficulty 12 boss at the end of it, and I'm on difficulty 3 stuff in the main pacts.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

I wouldn't recommend Grim for farming offerings. Even playing like a champ, the randomness will gently caress you in the butt.

I haven't really noticed any appreciable differences in the offering I've been getting (I really wish they hadn't gone and made up their own names for everything -it's ok to just call spells spells guys) but I feel like I barely understand half the game as it is. Would you recommend a different pact?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DeceasedHorse posted:

I haven't really noticed any appreciable differences in the offering I've been getting (I really wish they hadn't gone and made up their own names for everything -it's ok to just call spells spells guys) but I feel like I barely understand half the game as it is. Would you recommend a different pact?

Well, I guess Grim is peachy if you're not regularly getting Legendary Sorcerer results. If you're able to though, it can be very frustrating to get perfect results and still miss out on offerings. The better your score, the better your chances of getting all bonus offerings... but still no guarantee, unlike the other two pacts.

Grim is really fun though, so maybe stick with it all the way until you do a reset, and then try one of the other two?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alright I burned myself out on the hunting genre and when Delta came around I just was not feeling it. Today I figured I bought the game may as well at least see the story through and remembering why I dropped it.

I'm doing Grimm's second story with the music guy and I noticed everything did really, really stupid amounts of damage to me and it was taking forever to kill monsters (the elf queen took about 40 minutes). I went, grinded and grinded and grinded and I got to 37 blue and 40 red and tried again and it took he exact same amount of time.

I'm using all gold rank weapons or whatever its called, using fire stuff and she just will not die and I get bored during the fight. Tried doing lesser missions and to no surprise I tear through enemies like tissue paper so I'm stuck with absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to be progressing because either I fight things that die when I sneeze at them or they take 40 minutes and are a terrible slog. Can I get some advice because I'm getting (old I admit) buyers remorse which is terrible as I liked vanilla quite a bit.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
You could try leveling up your ally and fuse one of your gold weapons into a black weapon.

Something is definitely up if anything is taking you 40 minutes. I'm sitting around 55/25 and heavily focused on defense. I have a feeling that my allies do most of the heavy lifting but unfortunately you don't get any kind of feedback on that.

For the story missions it may be best to just suck it up and do them inefficiently. Leveling an ally is easy and quick now but quick enough to be worth doing for an ally you have no intention of using outside their story.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do allies level up just by being used a lot?

I had imported my completed save so it has every story mission marked off as clear and not sure how much it would help anyway considering I'm set to a NPC I can't swap out during the factions pacts.

Also not sure how to fuse black spells either, I figured if there was anyhing past gold I'd need 2 3 star spells with a gold border but I guess that's not the case?

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Sorry when I said story mission I meant faction pacts as well. You're stuck with whichever ally they give you in those cases which is why it's rarely worth increasing affinity with them unless you plan on using them elsewhere.

To increase affinity you can either use the ally which takes a long time or give them an offering which goes very quickly. You get a big affinity bump if you give them an offering that they have learned. This offering has to be an EXACT match. For instance, give sympatha a small iron mill until she's affinity B then medium iron mill until A, etc.

To increase an offering to black you need to fuse a gold offering with your faction's large faction offering. For Grimm that'd be the large prophet testament. There are ways to farm random black offerings that involves sacrificing yourself on extreme missions but I don't have any experience with that. A quick Google can get you a how-to for that.

Not sure if its across the board but a black offering has double power/duration of its gold counterpart and the same number of casts as a small offering.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ended up making a black spear and ended up melting everything with it. That's some drat wonky balance.

Regardless finished Delta's story and... wow way to drop the ball :effort: I was really getting into a conclusion of this and got invested... then the same exact cutscene from the first game played, only redubbed

I mean I get it, gotta leave room for Soul Sacrifice 2 or whatever but c'mon now could of at least presented things differently.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ended up making a black spear and ended up melting everything with it. That's some drat wonky balance.

Yup. I hit a wall some time ago and could not figure out a way to improve my character in a meaningful way, so I ended up giving up on the game. I should give it a shot again.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Regardless finished Delta's story and... wow way to drop the ball :effort: I was really getting into a conclusion of this and got invested... then the same exact cutscene from the first game played, only redubbed

I mean I get it, gotta leave room for Soul Sacrifice 2 or whatever but c'mon now could of at least presented things differently.

Did you finish the original story, or Delta's story? Delta's story has a significantly different ending from the original.

and yeah, single player is not really balanced around you having Black offerings, that's the stuff for floor10+ of Alice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emalde posted:

Did you finish the original story, or Delta's story? Delta's story has a significantly different ending from the original.

and yeah, single player is not really balanced around you having Black offerings, that's the stuff for floor10+ of Alice.

Deltas, the sacrifice ending is just redubbed with about a minute or two of "hey we're going to make a sequel" thrown in.

Did the salvation ending a few minutes ago so at least that one was new- though in general I'm just curious to how they would even handle said sequel as it makes it sound like your about to fly off into space to fight monsters or something

• Locked thread