Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yea this is getting mildly frustrating. It's quarter after 11 here, I was at least hoping to start the download before bed, but that seems unlikely.

Whoops, new page. Edit for content: gently caress you sony

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
The PSN update might have hosed everything up i'm just going to hope it comes out tommorow.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently all the psn work until about an hour ago was routine (? ) maintainance that went on for a while and became emergency maintainance. Only now can the store be updated. I think it has been updated this late before so I *am* expecting it to happen tonight. We'll see.... :f5:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The demo is now up for the European region.

No demo for the NA region yet, as of now.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Yechezkel posted:

The demo is now up for the European region.

No demo for the NA region yet, as of now.

:psypop:

How does this even happen?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nnnggg, I thought I was past the point in my life where I'd get all antsy for a DEMO. This is ridiculous.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Since it's not up by now I suppose the best we can hope for is 'some time this afternoon, PST'

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

redreader posted:

Since it's not up by now I suppose the best we can hope for is 'some time this afternoon, PST'

This is one hell of an emergency maintenance Sony has going on here.

Here's a real first world problem. Thanks to this, I'm not spending (at least my morning) my day off playing the SS demo, but rather playing Persona 4 Golden.

Why has Sony forsaken me!

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Just finished what appears to be the single player portion of the demo, and tried a quick multiplayer game. Went in pretty much blind, but had a lot of fun! I thought the voice acting seemed a bit out of place, especially during the intro; dark visuals, and extremely goofy sounding dialogue. Warmed up to it later on tho.

Game itself is extremely... unique. Takes a bit of getting used to, but once I'd found a handful of offerings I liked, I started getting into the swing of things a bit more. Had a few issues with input response - a number of times it seemed like I'd activate an ability and nothing would happen. Ranged abilities are difficult to get the hang of, but I think that was just me.

Couple of things I'm still not sure about:

Do the offerings deplete on a timer, or number of attacks, or number of activations?

Is there any way to work out a creature's vulnerabilities or is it just trial and error?

What the gently caress is up with wiping the weeping eyeball of a talking book?

Gonna play some more in a bit, demo has a very generous amount of content. Very excited for the full release!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

HampHamp posted:

Do the offerings deplete on a timer, or number of attacks, or number of activations?

Is there any way to work out a creature's vulnerabilities or is it just trial and error?

What the gently caress is up with wiping the weeping eyeball of a talking book?

Glad you're having fun with the demo! Here's answers to your questions:

It's the number of activations. For example if you're using a melee spell, it only counts as one use when you summon it. You can then swing with it as much as you like until the timer runs out and it will still only be one use. Certain spells, melee ones specifically, have a charge up move. This will do huge damage, apply a ton of elements, but consume the rest of that activation. Optimally you'd activate, hit with it until it's close to running out, then do the charge move to finish it off. Spells can be combined with the Triangle button on the spell selection screen to increase their rank which usually increases the number of activations.

Vulnerability seems to generally be based on a circle of weaknesses. Ice beats fire, lighting beats ice, stone beats lightning, poison beats stone, fire beats poison. Seeing what the bosses is using against you, you can then make an educated guess as what it's weak to. Jack is weak to ice, Harpy is weak to fire, Cerberus is weak to stone.

The tears you wipe away from Librom are the game's currency. You use them to repair spells and level down your character so you can respec. The demo has a cap of 100 tears but the full game does not have a cap. Make sure to repair your spells if they break, especially your Forbidden Magic.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks for the reply, I had kinda guessed that it was based on activation but I couldn't see any sort of timer when it was in use. I just had a go at the hardest Avalon mission, (creature spoiler) Cerberus is a bit of a bastard! Game is still growing on me, I've never really got into any MH style games but I'm loving this one. Oh yeah and the game looks amazing, too.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's my fault, but sometimes I notice a weird input delay when trying to dodge. It's driving me crazy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Probably gonna need others to play this. PSN ID is sickly17. Put me on the list!

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
A quick googling didn't reveal the answer so I'll just ask here, can people from different regions play with each other?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I was going to post to complain about the unbelievably awful voice acting but then I got the ability to change my character's appearance and found the most fabulous hat in existence so now all is forgiven.

I like this game about beating up slime monsters while wearing a giant hat. I like it a lot.

The earlier missions seem super super easy though am I missing something or is it just a shallow difficulty curve? I guess I've only done the first archfiend so I don't know what I'm expecting really.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Looks like the store is starting to update!

Psn: garking999

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 17, 2013

DoktorSandvich
May 15, 2011
It looks like the NA demo is up! Downloading now! psn is Doktor_Sandvich, I'd love to be on the list!

edit: beaten by a minute.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Just figured i'd drop my psn Iskander25

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I already love the monster lore.

Magical evolutionary arms races between rats and cats :allears:

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
Downloading the demo.

PSN: mrEkli

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Part of me felt like this would be one of those games that looks awesome and crap but ends up boring or just meh.

I am happy this is not one of those games.

This game is seriously the loving poo poo.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 17, 2013

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So i died to the first "boss" and chose sacrifice does anything different happens if i'd saved the boss?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Smornstein posted:

So i died to the first "boss" and chose sacrifice does anything different happens if i'd saved the boss?

Bosses you save will join your companions and can be brought along with you on co-op missions. It doesn't happen in the demo but I've heard in the full game you can get split paths based on saving or sacrificing.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Belzac posted:

Bosses you save will join your companions and can be brought along with you on co-op missions. It doesn't happen in the demo but I've heard in the full game you can get split paths based on saving or sacrificing.

You can see it happening in the demo anyway, even if the missions don't split off, the story changes based on whether you sacrifice or save the bosses.

This game is so good and is literally the entire reason I bought a Vita way back, the demo has shown me that I chose wisely.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
gently caress saving people. Sacrifice them all! And the first thing I thought of when I decked out my guy in a green version of the third outfit (the one that covers just the lower half the face) was "gently caress...he's an earthbender. Looks like I'm specializing in stone spells. :black101: "

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not sure how to feel about how you save/sac based on host (or majority rule? I couldn't tell) just because it threw me down out of dark arm 2 to dark arm 1 when the host wanted to save ol' Jack.

ScarletOHara
May 21, 2007

Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open.
Add me on psn yall, lets do some game: bukharin99.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about how you save/sac based on host (or majority rule? I couldn't tell) just because it threw me down out of dark arm 2 to dark arm 1 when the host wanted to save ol' Jack.

You can always respec.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I was all set to murder the hell out of some beasts and use their souls to power my fury.

But then I saw that when you defeat them, they turn into animals, and there was no way in gently caress I was gonna sacrifice some adorable kitty cats.

MORAL CHOICES IN GAMES

McCheese
May 1, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

I was all set to murder the hell out of some beasts and use their souls to power my fury.

But then I saw that when you defeat them, they turn into animals, and there was no way in gently caress I was gonna sacrifice some adorable kitty cats.

MORAL CHOICES IN GAMES

To be fair, those cats are loving jerks. This game has some Drakengard levels of hosed up flavor text.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

McCheese posted:

To be fair, those cats are loving jerks. This game has some Drakengard levels of hosed up flavor text.

Yeah, if you feel bad for any of the animals just read the lore.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
I've played the first few levels, fought Jack and sacced myself for the kill. The lock on kept failing and when it did the camera would flail about and I would usually get hit. That might just be me being bad at the game though.
Does the level formula ever change? I'm not real big on being dumped in a barren wasteland and given a few enemies to fight then its over in about 5 minutes. It feels like I am playing a mini game. A polished mini game but still not very satisfying.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if it's possible to save your sorceress ally? I saved her once but she just started attacking me again, and I was running out of HP and spells so I sacrificed her the next time

Emalde
May 3, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to save your sorceress ally? I saved her once but she just started attacking me again, and I was running out of HP and spells so I sacrificed her the next time

Saving her just treats it like a player revival, so even if you do it 10 times ( i did this, im so sorry i made you suffer Sortiara :qq: ) she will keep trying to kill you

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Is the download of the demo not working for anyone else? It froze the Vita first time around while Guacamelee went through just fine. Second time it's stuck on the "Preparing to download..." screen again, so I suspect it froze the system once again.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm stuck on the "Preparing to download" screen too.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Speedball posted:

I'm stuck on the "Preparing to download" screen too.

Weird, it's only happening to the SS demo too. SONY!!!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Primarily testing show that EU and US can play together. This is wonderful.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, whatever it is, it's working now. In about an hour I'll be ripping out my own spine with the rest of ya! Thanks to the ones who accepted the friend invites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Just did my first online match and i figured "if i sacrifice myself that should kill the boss" except i was wrong and i just spent the rest of the match as a ghost is there anyway to come back to life if i sacrifice myself?

• Locked thread