Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Grinding gear just updated their Youtube page with twelve 15 second videos of all the new pets.

http://www.youtube.com/user/grindinggear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Platypus Farm posted:

It won't ever be a problem because they're not allowing full respecs at all. This was a huge controversy throughout the life of the beta so if the idea of re-rolling to change specs is not something that seems good to you, this isn't the game for you to play. Sorry, that's just how it is. This game is supposed to be Diablo 2 taken to the next level.

Unless you mean something else by "full respecs" I am pretty sure you are completely wrong. In the Gamespot interview posted on page one they explicitly state you will get about a dozen respec chances throughout the progress of a normal character. They strongly recommend against radical respecs and said you should just make a new character in that case but in any event, that option is there for you.

I thought that what they said regarding exploiting builds was interesting. Basically due to how intensely gear/rune dependent the game is, it would be pretty impractical to try to emulate someone elses build. They also said they want you to feel empowered and they would only heavily nerf certain things if, for example, the leaderboard is all witches due to some overpowered build.

I really respect how frank and forthcoming the devs are being about their design ideas.

I tried mapping out a build on the generator thing but then realized I probably need to play the game to figure out what is good/important. I kind of want to play a tanky lightning wizard. I'm trying to figure out if I should start templar or witch...

Also, I know there are different skills/abilities tied to gem things but how does that work in terms of the progression of the game? Like I assume you automatically start with a basic one but is it random from there on?

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Unless you mean something else by "full respecs" I am pretty sure you are completely wrong. In the Gamespot interview posted on page one they explicitly state you will get about a dozen respec chances throughout the progress of a normal character. They strongly recommend against radical respecs and said you should just make a new character in that case but in any event, that option is there for you.

I thought that what they said regarding exploiting builds was interesting. Basically due to how intensely gear/rune dependent the game is, it would be pretty impractical to try to emulate someone elses build. They also said they want you to feel empowered and they would only heavily nerf certain things if, for example, the leaderboard is all witches due to some overpowered build.

I really respect how frank and forthcoming the devs are being about their design ideas.

I tried mapping out a build on the generator thing but then realized I probably need to play the game to figure out what is good/important. I kind of want to play a tanky lightning wizard. I'm trying to figure out if I should start templar or witch...

Also, I know there are different skills/abilities tied to gem things but how does that work in terms of the progression of the game? Like I assume you automatically start with a basic one but is it random from there on?

You get respec points, you can respec 1 point at a time with them but you cannot full respec unless you gather a bunch of those orbs. At most you get like 10-20 or something from those quests they were talking about so thats like 10-20 passive skills you can change.

As for gems you get choices for them as quest rewards, so you'll always get a few, but you can also find them in the world as well.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
You misunderstand. You get about a dozen single point refunds, it if the hundred-odd you'll spend leveling up a character.

E;f,b

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

You get some remove-only tabs in your default stash when a hardcore character dies. You can then move stuff from hardcore to default, but not vice-versa.

What happens to the gear you're wearing, does it get transfered with the character or disappear forever?

Edit: ^^ Can you recover skill points that are connectors between other skills?

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Stokes posted:

Grinding gear just updated their Youtube page with twelve 15 second videos of all the new pets.

http://www.youtube.com/user/grindinggear

Not bad but I think I like my bronze kiwi just fine compared to all of those. Plus I want to get some stash tabs and such.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Mr.48 posted:

What happens to the gear you're wearing, does it get transfered with the character or disappear forever?

Edit: ^^ Can you recover skill points that are connectors between other skills?

All gear, equipped and in your inventory, is transferred with your character. And no, a refunded point needs to either be at the end of a line, or have two complete paths connecting to it.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I'm disappointed to hear there are no full respecs. So name of the game will be wait for cookie cutter builds to become common knowledge then play with one eye on a spoiler site unless you enjoy the prospect of going through several throwaway characters while experimenting. Hope that gets changed as it'd be perfect cash shop material. I'm not convinced dyes and kiwis will keep the game solvent so hopefully they give in to the temptation to add quality of life items like respecs.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
It's not getting changed. It will never get changed. Can we please stop having this discussion every other page? Experimentation is the entire spirit of the skill system, you don't have to follow cookie cutter builds because many, many builds will be viable, even quirky gimmick builds, so long as you plan them adequately.

E: besides, what does it matter if your build is suboptimal? There's no need to follow THE PERFECT BUILD outside of maybe races, which you will go into knowing that you need a better-than-average build, so then you can plan for it.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 23, 2013

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Considering they've already made 2.2 million off of kiwi's and such I think they'll be just fine. I've pretty much just started to ignore the respec talk because I don't really care, I love it the way it is.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Berious posted:

Hope that gets changed as it'd be perfect cash shop material.

It will not.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

Experimentation is the entire spirit of the skill system, you don't have to follow cookie cutter builds because many, many builds will be viable, even quirky gimmick builds, so long as you plan them adequately.

That's said about pretty much every game like this though and I'm not sure if it ever has really been true.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

All gear, equipped and in your inventory, is transferred with your character. And no, a refunded point needs to either be at the end of a line, or have two complete paths connecting to it.

I see, thanks! Hardcore it is then.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Saxophone posted:

How punishing is playing a melee class? Wading into a pile of enemies while dual wielding things and turning into a big blender has always been my ARPG bread and butter. I rolled a ranger last night and mostly enjoyed it, but getting hit actually hurt. I'm thinking maybe I should make a witch or something initially.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNMxa1JyvmM

How is that for dual wield? Melee is kind of punishing in the game. I believe the open beta attempts to equalize it a bit. Melee is stronger than ranged through the first two difficulties or so in the current closed beta. When we group we are half-carried by a ground slam templar or marauder until things get rolling on our ranged characters.

It really depends what your goals are. In races that are a week long it's usually better to be ranged, but if you are just playing the game and not spending your entire life for a week racing other people melee is perfectly viable. They also nerfed the poo poo out of chain and did some collateral damage to fork in the upcoming patch. That should help equalize a lot as well. So should a few other changes to survivability that are going to hit ranged characters harder than melee.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 23, 2013

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Here are a couple of videos I made of this game way back in April

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzgOEw0G3uE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_agdksyvv8

The impression I came away with was that the normal difficulty mode (which, in ARPG tradition, you are forced to play through before unlocking the tougher ones) was a tedious slog. Or at least, the first act. Is that still the case?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
How long (time-wise) does it take to get 30 skill points from scratch?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Space Hamlet posted:

Is that still the case?

One of the first quest rewards now provides you with the option of picking a Quicksilver flask which is the equivalent of Phase Run without the added melee damage upon the first strike. So now you don't have to trudge along at sloth speed during the early game. Phase Run is (for now) out of the game and being reworked.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr.48 posted:

How long (time-wise) does it take to get 30 skill points from scratch?
Not that long. Around three hours from scratch, solo, and with no help. If you are new it might be closer to five or six. It really depends on your pace and whether you do optional areas or not. If you party with other people it should be even quicker.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 23, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Path of Exile ‏@pathofexile
0.10.0 Patch Notes are 3500 words so far. They should be posted well within an hour.

:eyepop:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Khorne posted:

Not that long. Around three hours from scratch, solo, and with no help. If you are new it might be closer to five or six. It really depends on your pace and whether you do optional areas or not. If you party with other people it should be even quicker.

Thats pretty fast. I remember in Diablo 2 getting to level 30 would take a couple of days without using exploits.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr.48 posted:

Thats pretty fast. I remember in Diablo 2 getting to level 30 would take a couple of days without using exploits.
In Diablo 2 there are some awkward hump levels. Pretty much from 18-30 is brutal in classic, and in expansion 18-24 or 18-25 is still brutal.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Khorne posted:

In Diablo 2 there are some awkward hump levels. Pretty much from 18-30 is brutal in classic, and in expansion 18-24 or 18-25 is still brutal.

Man, I guess this game really is Ultimate Diablo.

How long would you say it would take to get say, 90 skill-points?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's suppose to take a real long time, and you lose experience for deaths, and the exp loss is pretty significant.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

Around 8 days /played seems about right. The super hardcore team in the latest 1 week race got to about level 82 in ~6 days /played, but they know the game inside and out.

E: Oh, for anyone planning out a skillbuild, a good rule is to no spend more than 90 points, because around level 80 the experience you need to level hits a huge curve and monsters begin to give less XP.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr.48 posted:

You get 18 points from quests now supposedly. In the closed beta you get 12. Ignoring bandit quest rewards because hitpoints are a pretty nice reward in the current beta, and there's a decent chance you'd choose one of the offered rewards in the open beta.

Level 72 shouldn't be too bad in the open beta. In closed beta it's still not too bad if you are doing maps. I'd say 40 hours is an okay estimate.

20 1h 50m (110 minut)
30 3h 40m (220 minut)
40 7h 40m (460 minut)
50 11h 20m (680 minut)
60 19h 40m (1180 minut)
70 1d 12h 5m (2165 minut)
77 2d 17h 20m (3920 minut)

The times next to each level are total played since level 1.

My last character in hardcore had those stats, but I didn't start maps until 67 and we got to 76 on 60-62 maps so it's highly inefficient. It should take less time to level with act3 around, and it takes less time if you hit maps at optimal levels. Those times include helping a friend who died, sitting in town/afking, and whatever else I did.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 23, 2013

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Khorne posted:

You get 18 points from quests now supposedly. In the closed beta you get 12. Ignoring bandit quest rewards because hitpoints are a pretty nice reward in the current beta, and there's a decent chance you'd choose one of the offered rewards in the open beta.

Level 72 shouldn't be too bad in the open beta. In closed beta it's still not too bad if you are doing maps. I'd say 40 hours is an okay estimate.

20 1h 50m (110 minut)
30 3h 40m (220 minut)
40 7h 40m (460 minut)
50 11h 20m (680 minut)
60 19h 40m (1180 minut)
70 1d 12h 5m (2165 minut)
77 2d 17h 20m (3920 minut)

The times next to each level are total played since level 1.

My last character in hardcore had those stats, but I didn't start maps until 67 and we got to 76 on 60-62 maps so it's highly inefficient. It should take less time to level with act3 around, and it takes less time if you hit maps at optimal levels. Those times include helping a friend who died, sitting in town/afking, and whatever else I did.

When exactly is that choice between the bandit's and such? Just because I have no idea what I'd pick and hopefully I have a lot of time before I have to.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kojicolnair posted:

When exactly is that choice between the bandit's and such? Just because I have no idea what I'd pick and hopefully I have a lot of time before I have to.
Bandit spoilers below.

It's in act 2. It's not too big of a deal. I forgot what they offer in the alpha because I haven't played it, but in the current game it's optimal to choose hitpoints. They give you a lot of hitpoints. If you kill them all you get a passive skill point. In the alpha I think they randomized the rewards each bandit gives so you don't get to pick and choose which bandit you fight, and they give different rewards for each difficulty. Even if you pick the worst thing possible it's not too big of a deal. Generally you want something beneficial that you can't get on the passive tree for a single skill point. If that isn't offered a skill point is always nice.

There are three bandits, and each one will ask you to align with them for a reward. You can choose to help or kill them. If you help them you must kill the other bandits, and then you get the reward and apex from the bandit you helped. If you kill them all some guy in town gives you the apex and a passive skill point.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 23, 2013

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Oh so it was just a single Passive skill point? That's not a huge deal I guess then. I'm sure people will have gotten there before me and I'll just see what they say.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Chaos resist nodes on new passive tree: confirmed.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
What do you dudes think of this build: Cold Damage/Spell Crit Witch with Energy Shield focus for defensive nodes.. I don't know much about building dudes for games like this but I do like the games

Passive skill tree build

papanugget
Aug 8, 2000

Defleshed posted:

What do you dudes think of this build: Cold Damage/Spell Crit Witch with Energy Shield focus for defensive nodes.. I don't know much about building dudes for games like this but I do like the games

Passive skill tree build

You're going to need more life nodes. Energy shield only goes so far and chaos damage will wreck you cause it completely bypasses energy shield. I've been playing in the closed beta since August or June of last year when I quit D3. This game is everything that D3 should have been.

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/70479

Patch notes

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Definitely not a fan of the chaos damage change (having a resist that lowers with the others, passive resistances, and resist for it on gear). Otherwise, it's all good changes. Most of them are expected. It looks like CI was not nerfed as badly as the alpha test.

edit: Carl/Qarl made a post that explained the chaos change. They apparently lowered chaos damage across the board to compensate. I'm still not sure how it will work out. I was planning on using Blood Rage on my new build, but if I have to stack chaos resist it's just not workable anymore if they didn't lower the percentage of damage taken.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 23, 2013

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I'm just hoping I don't need to waste passive skills just to get more chaos resist, but I guess I'll see. Otherwise it all looks fine. A shame that I was planning on using lightning arrow but I can see where it was a bit too powerful before.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
Can't wait to play this again! I tried it out about a year ago and it needed tons of work. Looks like it has been improved greatly! Not sure if I'm on the list or not so here it is: Lunasky

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I have a specifics question about respecing.

Say there's a divergent path, where I could pick frost, fire, or lightning damage. They later converge onto the same path again. I chose frost, and then later on I decide I want to respec THAT part of the tree to fire.

Can I remove the frost part of the path and replace it with fire, or will the game spout an error immediately because my chain is no longer connected, forcing me to respec points I actually want to keep all the way back to the part I actually want to change? (I've played games that do it this way :( )

I hope I explained that question clearly.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

LibbyM posted:

I have a specifics question about respecing.

Say there's a divergent path, where I could pick frost, fire, or lightning damage. They later converge onto the same path again. I chose frost, and then later on I decide I want to respec THAT part of the tree to fire.

Can I remove the frost part of the path and replace it with fire, or will the game spout an error immediately because my chain is no longer connected, forcing me to respec points I actually want to keep all the way back to the part I actually want to change? (I've played games that do it this way :( )

I hope I explained that question clearly.

Consider this tree:
code:
  B---C---D
 /         \
A           H---I---J
 \         /
  E---F---G
You have currently leveled along the path ABCDHIJ, but you want to change your path to AEFGHIJ.

You have two options.

Option 1: Using respec points, you refund J, I, H, D, C, B, in that order, and respend your points.

Option 2: You level up until you have three spare points, putting them in EFG. Now you have two valid paths from A to H, so you can freely refund points B, C, and D.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Not really liking that cosmetic attachments you have to use non-reusable items to reclaim. Kind of sucks.

Edit: Ah, they are considering selling a reusable one eventually.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 23, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I hardly did anything with the Closed Beta due to other distractions, but I figure with no more resets and a stack of patches, I'll dust off my Duelist "Skateboard" (Pogo Stick was taken) and see if I can stab my way to some good pants.

This time around I'll remember you can remove your skill gems from items at-will before level 8 :downs:

I have simple needs. I just wanna stab goods with more than one sharp object at once. It makes me sad the Stun Immunity means I can't ninja dodge poo poo, any advice for a (mostly) straight up duelist that isn't half no brainer like "Hey, one handed and dual wield buffs are a good idea. Mana Flows is near the Duelist stuff and more mana regen means more fancy stabbing"?

Branching off to other poo poo is amazing, but if a nearly wholesale core class sucks, something is wrong.

EDIT: vvv I know I've come to the right place, because oh god so many numbers and tables.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Welp, looks like I'll be putting off my totem templar. Also, am I understanding this right:

"The Elemental Equilibrium keystone passive skill now grants a flat amount (+25%) of resistance to each element you hit with and a resistance penalty (-50%) to each element not present in the hit."

So if you alternate between 2 attacks with different types of elemental damage you can reduce monster resistance to 0, and keep them low (between 0% and 25%) indefinitely?

Lets say monster X has 75% resistance to cold and fire and I alternate between cold and fire attacks it seems like his resistances will looks like this:

X's resists: cold...fire
Before attack 75% 75%
Hit with C 100% 25%
Hit with F 50% 50%
Hit with C 75% 0%
Hit with F 25% 25%
Hit with C 50% 0%
Hit with F 0% 25%
Hit with C 25% 0%
Hit with F 0% 25%
Hit with C 25% 0%
Hit with F 0% 25%

The resistance reduction gets even more severe if you cycle with all three elements because each resistance type will get lowered by 50% twice for every time it gets raised by 25%.

Edit: Also if monster resistances can go into negatives like Diablo 2 then this keystone is even more overpowered :psyduck:

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 23, 2013

• Locked thread