Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
At what level do builds start to feel differentiated from each other, and how many hours does it take to reach that level assuming you know what you're doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

giZm posted:

Speeds between 0b/sec and 200kb/sec, keeps claiming that it's done, while in fact it is not. Dirty, filthy liar game! :argh:

Is your C drive full (assuming multiple hard drives) I think it unpacks poo poo there then cleans up because its coded stupid. I may be thinking of another game that I played recently though. (it downloed just fine to the drive I told it to and installed fine but insisted on unpacking random poo poo C:\temp, and 10-20GB can be a huge amount of free space for an SSD). Also it could be actually installing, I think it shows the speed for that which could also explain it.

I had no issues getting the game at 12.5MB/s. May have been a bad connection to the server, or the server just making GBS threads itself. Hell the server could be busy because people are trying to install it now (If I remember correctly the game takes forever to actually install once its downloaded, like over an hour for some god awful reason). Which I'm going to say is in fact the downloaders fault so I agree with you, something is not coded correctly, but it gets the job done.

Actually its also possible they have taken several download servers offline because they have a newer version of the game so you don't have a good connection, its also possible your ISP is messing with torrent packets and it uses a unencrypted torrent connection like WoW updater or something. (I haven't checked if it made multiple connection, but with the speed I got its pretty likely, even if it only connects to their servers) which would actually probably explain your speed issues.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I had heard of this game as sort of an indie diablo so I just assumed it would be lovely but it has a surprising amount of polish to it and the devs seem really awesome. It's not my favorite genre but they made a lot of design decisions that seem really fun and address some of my complaints about D3. I'm not a hardcore min/maxer so I won't be opening any skillbuild guides but I like being able to really customize your build and still have the flexibility of swapping out items/gem things.

Now I just wish I had a key so I could play today :( I know there is a character wipe but I am excitedly impatient to try it.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I had heard of this game as sort of an indie diablo so I just assumed it would be lovely but it has a surprising amount of polish to it and the devs seem really awesome. It's not my favorite genre but they made a lot of design decisions that seem really fun and address some of my complaints about D3. I'm not a hardcore min/maxer so I won't be opening any skillbuild guides but I like being able to really customize your build and still have the flexibility of swapping out items/gem things.

Now I just wish I had a key so I could play today :( I know there is a character wipe but I am excitedly impatient to try it.

I kind of wish I couldn't play so I wouldn't be so tempted to play characters that won't be there tomorrow. I'm so horrible at waiting.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
So I'm thinking that for the first 2 characters I'm going to do a staff-and-totem Templar (not sure if I want resolute technique) and a wand-and-curse witch.

Are there any unique items that are worth building a character around?

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
When I last played it was at the point where only a few builds were viable (The only one I recall was some massive fire damage buff one). I know I won't be able to just pick skills willy nilly and expect to do the end game stuff. But for those that have played it recently, are they pretty forgiving in terms of the skills at the edges of the tree or will there end up being one skill that everyone needs to get?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I had heard of this game as sort of an indie diablo so I just assumed it would be lovely but it has a surprising amount of polish to it and the devs seem really awesome.

Yeah, Grinding Gear have some real talent on board, and have been plugging away at the game for about six years now, last I heard. It's real labor-of-love stuff. Their art team in general is great. They've managed to do dark fantasy without resorting to too many visual cliches, outside of the usual under hordes.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

pixaal posted:

Is your C drive full
No, 15gb free on the SSD, and the temp folder is on a different drive for the unpacking problem anyway. Unencrypted torrenting works fine on my connection, and my upload isn't full either (wouldn't be a problem thanks to cFosspeed anyway). I'll let it run over night I suppose, bleh.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The art direction is actually my biggest complaint, though. To be fair, it's not very big complaint. I'm just not a huge fan of the gritty grimdark look. I think they could have made a dark fantasy game with a little more visual flair (diablo 3 took it a little far). I hope that you start looking more badass as you level, getting cooler looking poo poo because I think that progression is really important in keeping me interested.

Can anyone who has played to the higher levels verify if the armor and stuff starts getting cooler? I know they said they would be adding purchasable cosmetics but I probably won't want to pay money for an online flaming hat...

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Is there any way to play with Goons? It would be cool to play with some people tomorrow.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

pogothemonkey0 posted:

The art direction is actually my biggest complaint, though. To be fair, it's not very big complaint. I'm just not a huge fan of the gritty grimdark look. I think they could have made a dark fantasy game with a little more visual flair (diablo 3 took it a little far). I hope that you start looking more badass as you level, getting cooler looking poo poo because I think that progression is really important in keeping me interested.

Can anyone who has played to the higher levels verify if the armor and stuff starts getting cooler? I know they said they would be adding purchasable cosmetics but I probably won't want to pay money for an online flaming hat...

While the gear itself looks cooler, as the devs said, they want you to look like you're wearing gear you've scavenged from the ruins of a destroyed continent. A specific example was that weapons will never glow unless you're using a skill or you buy a cosmetic sword glow

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

pogothemonkey0 posted:

The higher-level gear looks a bit better, but it's still not meant to look pretty. You're literally scavenging forsaken relics from a centuries-cursed continent. Even the big villains don't look particularly well dressed - it's basically a post-apocalyptic setting. The Gamespot dev interview says that if you want polished and pristine-looking gear, it'll cost real money. It'll be entirely cosmetic.

Edit: Beaten, apparently.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Do we know how the cosmetic effects are going to work? Like a reusable dye or something?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
How the Open Beta Launch will work forum post by Chris Wilson: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/70299

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
That is refreshingly honest and transparent.

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
This game looks good but when I look at the skill tree my eyes glaze over. How are respecs handled in this game?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
You get respec points from quests (something like 10-20 over the life of a character) that let you refund one point in the passive tree. You can also find an item called the Orb of Regret that will give you a respec point.

If you want to change your build more significantly than that, it's time to reroll.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Eggs posted:

This game looks good but when I look at the skill tree my eyes glaze over. How are respecs handled in this game?

You get respec points from a few quests and some very rare consumables that drop in the wild. They allow you to take back one point on the skill tree. You might accumulate 10-15 or so respec points over the course of levelling one character to the endgame. I'm pretty sure that GGG said somewhere that microtransaction respecs will not be available.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Guess I'll repost this since it was lost to the old thread, it's possible to craft Orbs of Regret as well, but it's probably a huge pain in the rear end:

1 Orb of Regret = 2 Orbs of Scouring
1 Orb of Scouring = 4 Orbs of Chance
1 Orb of Chance = 1 Normal + 1 Magic + 1 Rare + 1 Unique items of the same type

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ahhpple posted:

I'm pretty sure that GGG said somewhere that microtransaction respecs will not be available.

Thats a pretty odd decision. I mean it would be an item of pure convenience that wouldn't give buyers any actual power. Tthey could raise quite a bit of money with those while keeping the game balanced.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2013

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Mr.48 posted:

Thats a pretty odd decision. I mean it would be an item of pure convinced that wouldn't give buyers any actual power. Tthey could raise quite a bit of money with those while keeping the game balanced.

Convenience becomes power after a certain point, if you can pay to do something instantly that would take another player 60 hours.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
They're pretty adamant about having no gameplay advantages from the cash shop whatsoever. Even if it's just a respec or whatever.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

:siren: Remember you can reserve character names by creating characters in the league you want. (Hardcore) :siren:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

kojicolnair posted:

They're pretty adamant about having no gameplay advantages from the cash shop whatsoever. Even if it's just a respec or whatever.

But it wouldn't give any gameplay advantage, its simply a time-saving convenience feature.

Edit: ^^^^^^What league will most goons be playing? (is it 24 char slot total, or 24 per league?)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Mr.48 posted:

Thats a pretty odd decision. I mean it would be an item of pure convinced that wouldn't give buyers any actual power. Tthey could raise quite a bit of money with those while keeping the game balanced.

The idea is that if you want a vastly different character, reroll.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Is a sword and board fighter a straight up bad idea? I keep on reading about various magic-summon builds. Will I end up perminantly stunlocked at about level 36 with a one hand and shield warrior?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Mr.48 posted:

But it wouldn't give any gameplay advantage, its simply a time-saving convenience feature.

It could be a serious economic advantage. Here's an extreme example: Suppose somebody discovers an obscure but insanely overpowered build that allows for very profitable farming and requires a level 80 Witch. Someone with paid respecs could simply respec their high level Witch (which they're more likely to have in the first place, because with instant respec you'd only ever need 6 characters) and start farming. A player without cash to burn would have to level all the way to 80, by which time the build might be nerfed.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
As much as I want to try hardcore, I'm going to start on default because I know I'm going to die super fast. I'll definitely be trying hardcore eventually though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kojicolnair posted:

As much as I want to try hardcore, I'm going to start on default because I know I'm going to die super fast. I'll definitely be trying hardcore eventually though.

There's no harm in playing Hardcore, really. Unlike other ARPGs, dying just gets your high score registered, and you get bumped automatically back to the normal infinite-lives league. Nothing is at risk other than your bragging rights.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

So i made an account and logged out, after a while i tried logging back in but it says Invalid Login, the only way to log back in is to use the password reset feature, is it just me or do they have login problems?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dominic White posted:

There's no harm in playing Hardcore, really. Unlike other ARPGs, dying just gets your high score registered, and you get bumped automatically back to the normal infinite-lives league. Nothing is at risk other than your bragging rights.

Stashes are separate though. So if you stash anything in Hardcore, you don't take it with you when you die.

Of course, you can always just roll a new HC character, grab what you want from the stash, and die.

I wonder if the buyable stash tabs are league specific.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Stashes are separate though. So if you stash anything in Hardcore, you don't take it with you when you die.

Of course, you can always just roll a new HC character, grab what you want from the stash, and die.

I wonder if the buyable stash tabs are league specific.

You get some remove-only tabs in your default stash when a hardcore character dies. You can then move stuff from hardcore to default, but not vice-versa.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lprsti99 posted:

You get some remove-only tabs in your default stash when a hardcore character dies. You can then move stuff from hardcore to default, but not vice-versa.

Oh cool, must have missed that.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

Is a sword and board fighter a straight up bad idea? I keep on reading about various magic-summon builds. Will I end up perminantly stunlocked at about level 36 with a one hand and shield warrior?

Melee in general is kinda weak but you can make it work with some passives. Like you mention being afraid of getting stunlocked but there's a passive that makes you immune to stuns at the cost of never dodging an attack again. Also the open beta patch notes aren't out yet. There may be buffs to melee builds coming tomorrow.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I guess it depends on what the other people I know are going to do. I don't really care all that much about hardcore anyway, at least until I know how to play better.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Thoom posted:

It could be a serious economic advantage. Here's an extreme example: Suppose somebody discovers an obscure but insanely overpowered build that allows for very profitable farming and requires a level 80 Witch. Someone with paid respecs could simply respec their high level Witch (which they're more likely to have in the first place, because with instant respec you'd only ever need 6 characters) and start farming. A player without cash to burn would have to level all the way to 80, by which time the build might be nerfed.

Right, so it's "exploit early, exploit often" so that you can afford the Orbs of Regret to switch builds and farm before the developers get to fixing the build, rinse and repeat. And the less people exploiting something, the longer it goes unnoticed.

Shrug, they'll probably change it before that becomes a problem.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

Right, so it's "exploit early, exploit often" so that you can afford the Orbs of Regret to switch builds and farm before the developers get to fixing the build, rinse and repeat. And the less people exploiting something, the longer it goes unnoticed.

Shrug, they'll probably change it before that becomes a problem.

It won't ever be a problem because they're not allowing full respecs at all. This was a huge controversy throughout the life of the beta so if the idea of re-rolling to change specs is not something that seems good to you, this isn't the game for you to play. Sorry, that's just how it is. This game is supposed to be Diablo 2 taken to the next level.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Slo-Tek posted:

Unwavering Stance, which is at the bottom of the tree. Cannot Evade enemy attacks. Cannot be Stunned. (As of the Closed Beta) 13 points from the Duelist starting point and 14 points from the Marauder starting point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don't put skeletons on totem if you're going dual totem, you can still cast them manually. Use dual spark or something on your totems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I suppose you'd want the spells you can't cast anymore on the totems. Dual totem seems like it could be interesting, might try it at some point but not sure.

• Locked thread