Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Do skills still require really specific weapon types, like skill x requires curved swords and skill y requires hammers etc.? That poo poo was annoying and was enough to make me quit. Just let me use whatever I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Erm, yes? Same as in every other game in the genre, period. The alternative is being to shoot arrows out of a hammer, or do heavy overhead strikes with a bow, which would look dumb.

Plenty of games have simplified it to just "This can only be done with melee/This can only be done with ranged," which is how it should be done. loving annoying to have an amazing sword and the game goes "Oh you can only do this skill with a spiked mace."

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Game owns bones, just beat Act I. My only complaint so far is that skills require specific weapon types, like "this can only be used with maces, this can only be used with axes" etc. and it's really annoying.

Other than that, the loot is great and a lot of fun. The enemies are interesting, visuals are good for f2p. It's just really hard to make a party with pubbies. Even for the Act I end dungeon and boss no bites.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^ There are no advantages to non-instanced loot. Just makes playing with other people annoying and terrible instead of fun.

Wait so the loot isn't instanced in a party or anything? If it isn't that's incredibly dumb.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Or they can just do instanced loot, which is better and more fun for everyone, and doesn't punish people for not clicking stuff immediately.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

swmmrmanshen posted:

Wasn't one of the more vocal complaints about D3 that instanced loot was one of the factors that removed the grouping incentives?

This is totally wrong. Diablo 3 anti-grouping incentives were:
1. Monsters gained too much health and damage, and especially on Inferno this would just lead to slower progress and everyone dying.
2. There was no loot bonus from playing with others, the only reason to play with others was for the sake of it.
3. Retarded match making system.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

But the whole point is that your 'group' is just a few people who happened to be exiled at the same time, that's no particular reason to have a lot of trust in each other. It's a matter of taste, and frankly sorry if your tastes don't match the developers or other people in this. I think it's a great mechanic.

I'd bet if you made it an option between instanced loot and "diablo 2 hardcore xxx loot" you'd have an incredibly small amount of people doing it the classic way.

It introduces a downside to co-oping with others, which is bad. There should be nothing but incentive to work together.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Even if you finally get into the game you'll just get kicked back out and have to wait in the back of the line. They're under some sort of DDoS attack so until they deal with it it's going to be really unstable.

:tinfoil: It's blizzard. :tinfoil:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress chamber of sins level 3. There will be rooms 100% full of spark casters and necromancers, and coupled with server lag it is basically instant death.

The world also decided to reroll on me between deaths and I had to find it all over again. Are there any penalties for dying besides being sent back to base?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Game just timed out as I killed a boss and it dropped a unique axe, I'm a marauder. Motherfucker. That's it I am done for today. :argh:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope they add damage text and such to the game. I'd like to know when I am legit missing enemies and when the game's just lagging out and I'm about to be surprise killed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Just defeated Vaal. Those loving blue beams :stare:

Speaking of blue, guess what it dropped? Blues! Nothing but blues! Jeeze should at least get one rare the first time you kill a boss. Hillock gave me an axe I used all the way until loving level 12.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 27, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wait, there isn't pay to win? How are they even going to make money?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Merevil is really, really hard, even with a flask that stops you from being frozen.

Yeah. Vaal is way easier, he only has one attack that's a real threat. But she can loving shred you up at any range.

I can't find an image for a good summoning build (Witch), I'd like to know which way to go on the tree and such to have a big strong army of poo poo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Beasteh posted:

Dedicated Summon builds are incredibly hard to get off the ground in POE, they severely nerfed the HP of summons meaning until you've heavily invested some good support gems in your ~summons of choice~ they'll have the life expectancy of a snowflake in hell :(

Yeah I'm noticing that they're incredibly fragile. They get one-hit by blue enemies and anything greater than that is suicide. Asking in PoE and reading the forums it seems there was an issue in earlier builds where being a summoner = doing no work whatsoever, and the incredibly small amount of HP minions have now was some kind of overreaction.

I hope they find a more balanced solution in the future. I'm at loving level 10 and having to resummon zombies constantly is not fun. I'd rather Zombies be low-damage meatshields while some other kind of minion are high DPS glass cannons.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well of course it's different in later difficulties but at least then you have a lot more options for gear. With Merveil you pretty much go in there with just whatever the gently caress you've found so far and wing it, and it's hard because she's in a league of her own that early in the game.

As a marauder, the only thing Vaal could do to hurt me were those lightning beam things. The minions were welcome since they just refilled my flasks and I had a lot of lifesteal. Merveil's minions loving explode on me, so no flask refills and no life steal. Just more damage.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Welp, got tired of summoner witch. I only had her at level 14 so it's not a big deal but the fragility really got to me. In Diablo 2 there was a balance between pseudo-RTS and having to support them with your own spells/revive them every now and then, but in PoE I am just constantly resummoning them so they can get off one, maybe two strikes before dying. Maybe they get way better later but it's loving annoying right now.

Stashed all her poo poo, deleted her, making a new witch tonight, gonna focus on fire/ice (ice spear is loving awesome) and AoE. Seems like the most straightforward thing to do.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm guessing it's tougher for a witch to survive up until that point, but even now that my minions aren't worthless, I can't help but lead them into battle with Lightning Strike :black101:. I still haven't died, but I have a feeling I'm going to get pasted in Act 3.

Act 3 is pretty much constant AoE spell enemies, and you just can't appreciate how terrible those enemies are until you have minions that get wiped by single attacks.

Speaking of wipes, this game has the same problem as Diablo that when you're fighting an important boss, your minions are now worthless. Bosses typically have huge AoE attacks for dealing with parties, which is understandable, but boy does it bring back memories of being a summoner Necro and fighting Diablo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^ I wasn't talking about the summoner itself, sorry. I meant the minions. They die from everything left and right and it's annoying to constantly resummon them, and I'm not patient enough to wade through the whole game with frail minions and basic attacks until they get good.

I thought energy shield was flatly the best thing since, I mean, it's a loving extra layer of health that regenerates at call of duty rates. But then I learned all sorts of things can penetrate it, so if you focus on energy shield and have low HP/resists and then get hit with chaos damage, you just loving die.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Why would they put enemy thorns damage in the game? It's simply bad design. It's punishing the players for being strong.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

If you're a melee character, you owe it to yourself to get Whirling blades. Even if you don't have the dex to get it into late powerful levels it is like Diablo's Whirlwind had a baby with anime teleport strikes. Just insanely good for crowds and dashing around bosses.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

They should really add like green rings around allies or something. Playing with a party + summons is a total clusterfuck and I end up targeting the wrong thing a lot. The game's muddy art style doesn't help.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

poo poo I've found like five chaos orbs on my lv. 15 Witch. I didn't know they were rare. :psyduck:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Haerc posted:

You mentioned that you are playing a higher level summoner a page or so back, does this seem viable?

Man those are really the only +minion passives. I mean I know later on it's easier to come by support gems but that sucks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

cheese posted:

There is something of a running joke about finding chaos and exalted orbs right away on low level alts, and then never at higher levels.

Well, the area monster levels have a lot of trouble keeping up with me (even though their damage sure as gently caress doesn't) and that directly effects currency item (scrolls -> orbs) drop rates pretty drat harshly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

You skipped two +minions on the way up and you didn't get minion instability, which is amazing. Your minions automatically blow up and deal solid damage when they die.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I will say that it's super easy to set up a party with good kind folks in this game, even if you disagree with the loot system. Had a summoner and had no luck at all getting sapphire rings/blue gems to 'craft' them, so Merveil was totally impossible. Started a party simply titled "Kill Merveil/Cave of Anger", four level-appropriate people joined immediately and within a minute we were all at the cave.

The drat ice queen still took two of us in her first form (those loving hands that come out of the floor gently caress them) but we eventually wrecked her and I could move onto act 2.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ashenai posted:

How good is Eldritch Battery, anyway? I thought summoners would be mostly free of mana troubles, since they're not like nukers who spam 200 mana's worth of Firestorms per second. Do you need the extra mana?

You can end up spending that much if you enhance spells a lot. There are witch builds that focus on making fireball into a massive AoE shotgun blast and it ends up consuming a fuckload of mana per cast.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alakaiser posted:

I'm guessing this has some decent value to it?

You can pick that gem early on in the game so that might hinder its price. It is the best minion enhancer though, because it basically reverts the minion nerf they made a while back. I just started using it and my zombies went from dying left and right to being pretty drat beefy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If you're in HC you're going to be theorizing in softcore pretty soon.

Yeah I wouldn't rely on the game's evasion system.

I wouldn't play hardcore in general since the game has the same problem as D3. It's online. At any point it can poop out and you have a dead character. This has already happened with my softcore characters quite a few times.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kersch posted:

What are the common sources of chaos damage from enemies? It's not really clear to me.

Essentially when you get attacked by anything that shoots green stuff. Chaos damage is just poison damage. Why they called it chaos and not poison is just bizarre when everything else was copy-pasted from Diablo 2.

jymbojones posted:

Off the top of my head: Snake things, the alchemest bomb throwing fags
Nice one.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 13, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I think the orbs should be more like Diablo 2 runes.

I don't mean the rarity (you literally have a better chance of being hit by lightning than finding a Zod rune legitimately), but having the advanced ones drop in the late-game while the basic ones drop in the early-game would be a lot better. It kind of doesn't make sense that you can find the most valuable item in the game before you even kill Hillock the first time.

It's like Corpsefire having a chance to drop a SoJ on normal.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 14, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Primaris posted:

I would say yes, because PoE requires you to skill more defensively than most games. If you take 0 defensives and go glass cannon, you will die repeatedly in higher difficulties and no gear will change that.

And because the game's respec system is so difficult to use it may as well not exist, running into a huge road block usually means starting a new character or depending completely on parties to do all the work for you.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Read posted:

I dunno, I've respecced like 15 points total on my Ice Crit Witch in three bunches of 5 just from quest rewards and the odd regret orb drop, I think it's alright.

Yes but if you intend to go deeper than that it's so time-consuming to farm for the materials needed. The game punishes you pretty hard for not having your build planned out early on, not unlike pre-1.13 Diablo 2.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Investing into Burning damage as a Witch doesn't increase my firespell damage does it :doh:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I know this is an odd/stupid question, but is this game portable? Like, can I stick it in a flash drive and play it at any internet-ready PC with halfway decent parts?

I really enjoyed doing this with D2 Eastern Sun and it'd be cool if I could do it with this game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is there a way to make it so that items assigned to you in multiplayer can be picked up without holding alt or disabling /nopickup?

I missed this loving unique sword drop on piety because there was a mess of 30 drops and some loving rear end in a top hat grabbed it. gently caress. If it's already highlighted why can't I just pick it up?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Have you looked in the options menu?

I have. There's only an option to disable /nopickup, which would be worse. I couldn't find anything that specifically enables picking up assigned items without holding alt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I really really want to like Path of Exile, but the game is just hard as poo poo and every other player seems to have perfect screen-clearing skills. I guess I'm just gimped as a strength/brute force character with low amounts of mana, and that pisses me off because I'm literally unable to make progress in Nightmare mode unless I team up with others that have all these crazy-rear end powers. The game also has a ton of lag-related issues that make the combat feel clunky and totally inconsistent.

I feel like I went very, very wrong with this character at some point or there are just things I don't know about the skill gem system. The only enhancement gems I've ever gotten were from quest rewards, I don't see how players with quintuple-shot fireballs and poo poo are so common at my level.

• Locked thread