Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Creeperbear posted:

Hey guys, so I played this game for a bit WAY back in closed beta, but it felt really unfinished. I am gonna be coming back to it now for open beta, from what I've seen the game has really come a long way.

What I'd like to know is, where can I find a good resource listing some basic viable cookie cutter builds for each class? The PoE forums seem to have a lot of contradictory information, and without first hand experience I can't really tell who knows what they are talking about. One of the problems I had last time was levelling up a totally sweet 2h glass cannon maurader that owned everything until merciless difficulty, where he became completely useless, dying instantly with no respec possible. I'd like to have some kind of plan for levelling.

Maybe someone who has experience with the game could list a few partial builds, just the essentials for each class and we could add it to the OP to sort of reduce the overwhelming first impression of the passive tree?

The problem with that is there are some significant changes to the skill tree coming so any builds that might work for closed beta either flat out won't work or will be changed by varying degrees. Two examples would be Chaos Innoculation and Spell Totem builds.

Meat Recital posted:

Is the inventory still way too small? I remember not being able to pick up more than a dozen items before having to go back to base.

The solution is to not pick up items that you don't need. Remember that you don't need to pick up every item to sell because you're not getting gold for it.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

How the Open Beta Launch will work forum post by Chris Wilson: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/70299

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

Is a sword and board fighter a straight up bad idea? I keep on reading about various magic-summon builds. Will I end up perminantly stunlocked at about level 36 with a one hand and shield warrior?

Unwavering Stance, which is at the bottom of the tree. Cannot Evade enemy attacks. Cannot be Stunned. (As of the Closed Beta) 13 points from the Duelist starting point and 14 points from the Marauder starting point.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Grinding gear just updated their Youtube page with twelve 15 second videos of all the new pets.

http://www.youtube.com/user/grindinggear

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Space Hamlet posted:

Is that still the case?

One of the first quest rewards now provides you with the option of picking a Quicksilver flask which is the equivalent of Phase Run without the added melee damage upon the first strike. So now you don't have to trudge along at sloth speed during the early game. Phase Run is (for now) out of the game and being reworked.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Chaos resist nodes on new passive tree: confirmed.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

There are 1387 people ahead of me in the queue. I wonder how big it's going to get.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Count Uvula posted:

Too low level. You could use it if you're having difficulty where you are in the game, but generally you'd want to save them for a minimum of level 45 or so (and the people in the game's global chat will tell you to not use any alchs until you're getting stuff with an ilevel of 60+)

Also, before you alch anything, use Blacksmith Whetstones until the item you want to use is at 20% quality. It will only take 4 whetstones. If you wait to use Whetstones after you alch an item it will take more than double that. I can't remember the specifics.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Just starting Act 3 for the very first time. It's an abysmal slog. What on Earth were they thinking with this sewers nonsense?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Some guy is 5,000 exp away from level 100 on softcore. He's streaming right now. He's going to kill Piety for the last bit.

http://www.twitch.tv/havoc616

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

I think they need to change Frenzy into a support gem. It's too awkward to use otherwise. Also if anyone on hardcore has a spare Cyclone let me know.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I don't think it's awkward, it adds some variety where you can build up some charges then use a different attack at high speed.

You can even use it with dual ranged totems because you can build charges yourself even if Frenzy deals no damage.

Edit: I have a cyclone and will be on later tonight, ign same as here

ZeroVGS doesn't exist and I can't add Zero VGS because it won't allow a space.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

quote:

Version 0.11.0c
Characters who die in Hardcore and Onslaught leagues are now permanently shown on the ladder they died in, marked in grey. The in-game character still becomes a Standard character, as usual.

:ughh: Why? Just so, so dumb.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Isn't staying alive and rising up the ladder the whole point of hardcore? Why reward someone for dying in hardcore for giving them a permanent spot on the list? I don't care if you're level 98, if you die your character should be off the hardcore ladder.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

I think Templar works so much better for Leap Slammer, but that's just me

It's how it is in Diablo 2 (and maybe D3 but I never really played it), it's a nice record and something of a reward for getting high enough to be ranked in hc. Your name is greyed out so it's obvious you died, not really sure why it's a problem.

I guess I have a different mindset about a competitive ladder. I hated how they handled it in D2 as well. I don't think I should have to compete with what are essentially participation trophies for spots on the ladder. Looks like I'm alone in this thinking though.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Protagoras posted:

Anyone else playing Onslaught?

I am. I just died to Kole. The dude hits way too hard.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

http://www.twitch.tv/rhoxxx/b/415700372?t=788m

Here's kinda sorta a video of Goratha's death. It's actually him in mumble talking about it on rhox's stream when it happened.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Thanks to a trade with Kripp I got my hands on a 16% Infernal Blow. That plus Melee Splash is hilarious.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

apophenium posted:

What's everyone's build of choice in Onslaught? I'm trying out a lightning strike duelist which has been decent. I need to keep some builds in the back of my mind though for when I inevitably die.

I'm running an Infernal Blow + Melee Splash 2H Marauder. Anger and Enduring Cry plus Immortal Call later maybe. I'm definitely going to get Blood Magic, but not sure if I want Resolute Technique or not. I'm afraid of killing myself on elemental reflect monsters. I'll also get Unwavering Stance. Right now I'm looking for a Chance to Ignite to add to the Infernal Blow as well.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

A Searing Touch dropped for me over the weekend so I started a Fire Trap/Searing Bond/Exploding Minions Templar. I get why it's such a hot item these days.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Don't lie, you robbed this guy for it. :P

Edit: Nevermind, yeah. Dude was ripped off bad.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 17, 2013

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

There's a pretty hilarious meltdown going on in this topic on the official forums.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/425262

My guess is by the time you read this the mods will have removed more than they already have though.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone on Onslaught: I am in desperate need of a weapon upgrade. I'm in the middle of the absolute worst rare weapon rolls I've ever witnessed. I've been using the same 2H Axe since level 23 and I'm level 42 now. I'm out of currency trying to roll a better weapon but even that isn't working so it will probably have to be a handout.

Msg me in game @Stokes or @LetGoOfMyPurse_IDKY

Here is my current weapon.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

JayMax posted:

Might have something if you can hop on. I added you.

What is your in game name? Are you sure you added me? I'm on and don't see anyone other than who I previously added.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Pews posted:

If you get a new one I might be interested in buying your old weapon :O got a level 30 cleave duelist right now

I don't have you on my friends list, so just message me later this evening and I'll throw it your way.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

You all should probably see this. Go backwards in the vid a bit to see how he respecs and sets it all up if you're curious.

http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp/b/420452139?t=606m20s

To simplify, he respeced into CI + Vaal Pact, and uses Searing Touch in combination with Enduring Cry, Blood Rage, and Cold to Fire linked on his Discharge.

Edit: He runs into a reflect monster at 1:07:22

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I started playing this a bit ago, and currently have a level 10 Templar. To be honest, I'm a bit lost and have no real idea how to build him, since the skill tree is a bit intimidating. I'm not looking to min/max everything or play on hardcore - I just enjoy single player diablo-alike games and this scratches the itch pretty well.

Currently I've taken a few things that add to life and damage, but am not sure what you're really meant to do as regards build - it's almost too freeform for me. I've found a couple of gems that add magical effects and am currently wandering around with a sword+infernal blow and a shield since nothing else especially good has dropped. What's a good kind of build to aim towards as a casually-played templar?

This is your first character so it's ok to fool around a bit but what regulargonzalez said is right. It is a good idea to decide what kind of character you want before spending points all willy-nilly. Spreading yourself out on defenses is a bad idea. Pick 2. So you have a Templar. First of all life is always important (unless you go CI, but don't worry about that right now). You might notice around the Templar part of the tree are Armor + Energy Shield nodes. While those are good to grab and you should probably get them, especially if you are going melee, going out of your way to get both Armor only and Energy Shield Only nodes is going to spread your character way too thin.
It's also a good idea to think about whether or not you're going to focus on melee elemental damage or melee physical damage and pick your nodes based on that choice.
Also take time to look at all the Cornerstone Passives around the outside and in the middle of the tree. Most players base their characters on picking a combination of those Cornerstones.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

If you're going Chaos Inoculation you're going to need a lot of Energy Shield, and if you want life regen to count towards Energy shield you're going to have to grab Zealot's Oath way over on the other side of the tree. So to answer your question, yes, your defense will suck too badly if you just rely on regen and resists.

Here is an awesome offline character builder.http://path-of-exile-skilltree-planer.googlecode.com/files/POESKillTree_1.31.zip

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

0.11.1 Patch Notes are up.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/436361/page/1

Diamond Flasks are back. Damage is calculated differently. Physical damage gets a nice boost. Melee Splash works with Shield Charge.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

The new helm art is awesome.

Edit:

Stokes fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 26, 2013

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Aranan posted:

Been out of touch with the world for a while. What are these new game modes like Onslaught and whatever the others are you guys talk about? They sound like they're still hardcore just with extra rules?

Onslaught is Hardcore mode but monsters have 20% more attack speed, movement speed, and cast speed.

Anarchy is Softcore but AI Exiles that drop a bunch of loot attack you in random maps. I don't know the specifics about the 'random' because I don't play it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Sjonkel posted:

I found a nice leveling staff I think. If I want to use it on a witch that eventually will be either a summoner or dual spork, which spells other than fireball are nice for leveling?

You found one of the most highly sought after uniques in the game. It's also %1 Increased Fire Damage from being perfect. Put that thing on your cursor and type /itemlevel. If it's higher than 50 you have yourself a gold mine.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

That's still good enough for a 5 link so you'll still get something really good for it. The price depends on how many sockets it has already, if they're linked, and what League you're in.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

My first decent weapon dropped 58 minutes into the race. Ended up in the middle of the Arachnid Lair at level 9 as a Marauder. I think on the whole GGG has a ton of work to do to balance this event out. Duelists dominated the top spots, and if you pick the wrong chest (the one with 'interesting' loot instead of 'fun' loot) you have no chance.

Edit: 14 of the top 15 spots were Duelists.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

I did much better this time around in the Descent race. 604th place overall. Level 12 as a Ranger. A fire trap gem dropped off a mob for me. I probably would have done better but I spent too much time in the statue level.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Wow, thanks for checking all that. The build I threw together in 5 minutes on an old Hardcore guy was doing 600 damage per hit in A2 Cruel so yeah, plenty of initial damage is achievable I think.

Main problem is in getting the quality gems. People are stupid about values and think a quality Puncture, or Blind, or Chance to Flee should have the same price as a quality Cleave or Faster Attacks. I offered 2.5 chaos for a 16% Puncture which I thought was plenty fair and this guy rudely turned me down. It's not like anyone else is buying it! I mean gems are worth what people will pay -- no more, no less.
I guess enjoy letting it collect dust in your inventory until you pair it up with a few more similar gems to sell for a measly gcp.

Yeah I offered an alch for some level 40 average rare a while back that was just a desperately needed upgrade and his reply was '1 chaos and it's yours.' Really? For a nothing special 2h axe? Of course two weeks later it's still there in his forum post taking up space. People are way overvaluing their items, probably because they see all these streamers with currency up the wazoo throwing around chaos like they're pennies.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/445682

GGG just made a post on their forums with 17 old screenshots, including the earliest one they have. It's pretty cool.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Nurge posted:

I was kind of curious and tested out cyclone on my cleaver today. The skill is absolutely hilarious. It looks way too dangerous to use for me, but it's one of the funniest things I've seen in the game. Going to level a gem up on my swapset and take it out in like docks or something if I want to replicate the lawnmower scene from Braindead.

My Onslaught Blood Rage Ranger uses Cyclone with Power Charge on Critical + Culling Strike. It's awesome.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Here's a video of Chris playing a build from 2008.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve_mYj5O5ls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Occasionally a Diamond Supporter comes up with a really, really cool unique.

I have a pure Evasion/Acrobatics Blood Rage Ranger that could really use those.

• Locked thread