Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I remember taking a look at this a while ago, and sort of forgetting about it. It looks really cool and I plan to follow it a bit more closely now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This game is awesome, just rolling around as a ranger. Beat Hailstrike at level 4, and blew an orb of chance to get my +1-4 damage ring to also do +2 life on kill :)

e- is beelining for Iron Reflexes a good idea?

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 25, 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

e- is beelining for Iron Reflexes a good idea?

Well, I did.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aaaaaand I died right as I hit the prisoner's gate.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm working on a blaster witch with no real minion use planned. Is this feasible at all?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

10bux posted:

Very viable. Ice spear works really well cause you can keep things frozen.

Of course, I just took firestorm instead. Guess I'll look for ice spear again!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

10bux posted:

If you kill all the bandits you get 1 passive skill point, I believe this is what most people do.

Fear not brother, all forms of elemental damage are viable. Find what you like in the beginning, then choose and pick up the passives. In case you didn't know, Fire adds a DoT, cold freezes, and lightning adds increasing damage.

Is it needed to have a little diversity? Or is it possible to go single-element?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Liberatore posted:

Mobs are never completely immune to a certain element. Additionally, some passive bonuses encourage you to stick with a specific element, although you can make builds that ignore them for the most part.

So far I'm mostly switching off between fireball/storm and ice nova/freezing pulse, depending on weaknesses. The only lightning spell I have is Spark, which sort of seems like it sucks.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just picked up Ice Spear, and drat, it's awesome. I'm focusing on trying not to spec into the +elemental skills early and just picking up more general blasting passives for now. later once I get a good feel for how I want to go, I can pick up those skills.

e- Right now, I'm here with an eye to end up here in the next few levels.

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 27, 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Washout posted:

I'm thinking of going curses and mono lightning (witch). Can anyone suggest where I should wander to on the tree for even more elemental/lightning damage? Should I go for a crit based build instead of more elemental damage?

The passive tree tool on the website does have a "show similar skills" thing, have you seen that? I am not sure it'll be super helpful, but it is there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

A word on why Sphere Grid feedback is going to be really sparse: It's really hard to consider the whole opportunity cost of choices without being intimately familiar with the grid. That is to say, unless you know where and what most the options are from any given point on the grid, it's going to be really hard to come back and say something like, 'well, you can drop points here and here and path a little different into increased AoE and it'll probably serve you better'.

That said, until people becoming very intimate with that Sphere Grid (I'm working on it!), unless you have some really obvious problems, it's exceedingly difficult to eyeball a build and tweak it appropriately.

Agreed, although I would guess at this point most of the help people are looking for is OH GOD THAT IS A HORRIBAD IDEA or "yeah that should be doable"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Divine Disclaimer posted:

I would like to bring your attention to "Arcane Potency". That section of the tree is within reach of an easy additional %60 mana regen, another large crit bonus, and a good number of resistance nodes. Eventually, you may want to branch both ways.

Awesome, thanks!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Merevil is really, really hard, even with a flask that stops you from being frozen.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

General thoughts on Infernal Strike vs Heavy Strike vs Glacial Strike vs Lightning Strike? I have the first three gems on a new marauder and am trying to figure out which one should occupy the right click spot. Right now it's infernal strike, but I don't know!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NewtGoongrich posted:

What weapon are you using? Actually, it doesn't matter. Use heavy strike. Heavy strike is beastly.

a rare 2h mace. Heavy strike seems cool but isn't the big thing that elemental damage is better? eh I guess at this point my dude is at too low a level to matter, barely through the first half of A1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Devor posted:

I kept those three that you listed leveled up for a while, and Heavy Strike was always like 40% more damage than the others, if not more. And the "bonus" effects of the elemental ones are more likely to be wasted, e.g. the lightning blasts when you're doing single-target. Ground Slam is the best AoE, since coverage is the most important factor and Ground Slam is pretty decently large AoE.

And now that I think of it, when you take the skill that makes you never miss/never crit, you'll lose a lot of the cool effects of elemental damage anyway.

• Locked thread