Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I think the best thing that can be shown to someone wondering what all the fuss is about is this developer interview/gameplay livestream that Gamespot did:
http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/357955960 - It begins at 5 minutes 40, and covers just about everything of note, from what they're adding at beta launch, their plans for 1.0 and beyond, the logic behind all the skill systems and balance mechanics and a general peek at some of the Act 3 content, which looks great and really grimdark.

Don't be put off by the complexity of the skill grid. It looks enormous, but with each level you only really have 3-4 choices. It's just that each choice has longer-term effects. It's the custom spell system that'll be the really complex part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Do skills still require really specific weapon types, like skill x requires curved swords and skill y requires hammers etc.? That poo poo was annoying and was enough to make me quit. Just let me use whatever I want.

Erm, yes? Same as in every other game in the genre, period. The alternative is being to shoot arrows out of a hammer, or do heavy overhead strikes with a bow, which would look dumb.

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I am planning on a frost AOE/snare type build but I've never played the game yet, which class should I pick?

The classes aren't really 'classes', so much as they're starting kits that determine the first few skill gems you're given, and where on the passive grid you begin. There is literally nothing bound to any singular class. You could spec a Witch into a pseudo-Marauder if you wanted. That said, if you want traps and spells, the Shadow is Dex/Int.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One big thing that people should keep in mind is that Path of Exile is largely aimed at people who have played and ideally beaten at least one ARPG before. It's designed to be a little slower, a little tougher and a little less overtly flashy than other games in the genre, like an expanded version of the original Diablo, rather than an explosionfest like Torchlight 2.

I personally really like it, but some folks have jumped in, gotten their asses kicked and bounced straight off it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I had heard of this game as sort of an indie diablo so I just assumed it would be lovely but it has a surprising amount of polish to it and the devs seem really awesome.

Yeah, Grinding Gear have some real talent on board, and have been plugging away at the game for about six years now, last I heard. It's real labor-of-love stuff. Their art team in general is great. They've managed to do dark fantasy without resorting to too many visual cliches, outside of the usual under hordes.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Can anyone who has played to the higher levels verify if the armor and stuff starts getting cooler? I know they said they would be adding purchasable cosmetics but I probably won't want to pay money for an online flaming hat...

The higher-level gear looks a bit better, but it's still not meant to look pretty. You're literally scavenging forsaken relics from a centuries-cursed continent. Even the big villains don't look particularly well dressed - it's basically a post-apocalyptic setting. The Gamespot dev interview says that if you want polished and pristine-looking gear, it'll cost real money. It'll be entirely cosmetic.

Edit: Beaten, apparently.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kojicolnair posted:

As much as I want to try hardcore, I'm going to start on default because I know I'm going to die super fast. I'll definitely be trying hardcore eventually though.

There's no harm in playing Hardcore, really. Unlike other ARPGs, dying just gets your high score registered, and you get bumped automatically back to the normal infinite-lives league. Nothing is at risk other than your bragging rights.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MorsAnima posted:

Or you know, play what you enjoy.

Having fun? In a videogame? But what about optimal builds and most efficient routes through content? Do you know nothing!?

Seriously though, just build your character the way that seems most interesting and enjoyable. The devs have stated that you might end up not being able to complete NG+ or NG++, but that's fine. Make a new character and use what you learnt last time.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

There is no difference between the two, aside from closed beta-ers having a 4 point bonus if they bought a stand-alone key.

Yeah, I could understand grumbling if, say, you only got 60-70 points for $10 where you previously got 100, but you're literally losing out on pennies here.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Knightmare posted:

Also stop picking up everything.

Yeah, unless you're looking for a particular pattern of sockets on an item which you plan on turning magical using upgrade items, you're probably best off just turning on the item filter so that you don't even see trash gear. This is not a game for hoarders.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, something to keep in mind is that this game is designed for replay. Moreso than most games in the genre - the stash system supports this. It's generously large, account-based and split by league. If you stash all your currency items, unwanted rare/unique gear and generally useful stuff when you're playing Hardcore, then aside from the stuff that you were wearing when you died before, all your hoard will pass on to your next Hardcore character.

If you're doing it right, then successive generations of characters will be inheriting better and better gear. You might end up starting your next fresh character with a full set of unique gear right off the bat. Think of it as meta-levelling.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Punch Quest had the issue of most of the unlocks being

A: Gameplay-related.
B: Easily accessed through regular play.
C: The cosmetic stuff you COULD get was hugely expensive, and there's no reason to have it, because it's a singleplayer game and you're not showing it off to anyone.

The towns in Path of Exile are essentially ad screens - you get to see all those players with their fancy glowing gear, demon horns, polished armor, etc. By making that stuff public - and players in games like this are notoriously vain creatures - they're encouraging that people put down at least a few bucks each on shinies.

Personally, the $10 I put down for beta access is going on three stash tabs and something else for 10 points.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Broletariat posted:

Got two different messages from admins about realm wide crashes. One of the times I had just picked up a sweet new 2 hander (just started OB this morning). It was gone when I logged back in :( .

I'm just surprised they made it as far as Day 2 before everything burst into flames.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

The whole passive skill tree/gem-materia thing seems really exciting. I'm not sure how I feel about the comparisons to D2, I felt that the original Diablo played a bit better (more methodical, less hectic) but I guess we'll see how this game goes once I'm finished patching.

Yeah, I think the game plays a lot more like Diablo 1 than 2. And that's fine by me - I never really liked the more hectic style of D2. The slower pace and more deliberate decision-making suits me better.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sylink posted:

What is the world generation in this game like? Is it tons of random dungeons and stuff?

Every map (aside from towns) is randomly generated, and there's a ton of tilesets. They did good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

How good are uniques in this game? I picked up two low level ones (a bow and a quiver, both usable at level 1) and of course the bow's not gonna scale all that far, but the quiver seems sort of decent. Are there gimmick builds that use them, or are they just Pretty Good Rares that you'll use for a bit and then stash for your next character?

Given that there's NG+ and NG++, plus endgame maps that go another 10-15 levels beyond that, it's probably safe to say that anything you pick up in act 1 or 2 first time through is probably going to taper off in its usefulness after a while, even if it is a unique, unless it has some kind of crazy class-modifying uber-quirk to it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lemon King posted:

Pretty nasty memory leak.

Yeah, the game just ground to a halt for me, so badly that I had to hit the reset button. Hope they get that memory leak fixed soon - it's definitely a new issue. Never saw it in earlier betas.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just repeating something that most seem to be missing. Not only are you meant to be rolling new characters semi-regularly, but you're highly encouraged to. The shared stash system means that successive characters can inherit some VERY good gear. There's a whole mess of unique items with no stat or level requirements at all, and if you end up saving up a bunch of those, even new Hardcore characters won't have much to fear.

Large chunks of the game are designed around the notion that you'll make more than one character, use inherited equipment/skills and generally become both more powerful and more experienced with each successive run. Allowing massive rebuilds mid-game would undermine that a lot.

You might not like it, but it's what the devs have intended from day 1, and I doubt they'll be changing their minds over something as inherently tied to the long-term gameplay cycle as that.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mirthless posted:

My feeling about respecs is largely in the departments of "what happens if a patch nerfs my build into oblivion"

Every time they made a major change in earlier beta builds, they gave everyone a full respec, so don't worry about that unless your entire character was hinging on a single, clearly overpowered skill. Also, this is still beta. They're not planning to fully launch until September or so, and there's a bunch more content coming then, apparently.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MagnumOpus posted:

Identifying a customer demographic that is not currently receiving optimal satisfaction and tailoring a product or service to meet their needs is typically referred to as "sound market research".

Yeah, this is literally the one and only ARPG aimed at a slightly more experienced playbase, and it's hardly like the ARMA 2 of RPGs, either - it's still a pretty casual clickfest with constant positive feedback loops, just a little more involved than usual. It's still far more accessible than the original Diablo, and probably even Diablo 2.

If you'd rather play D2, D3 or Torchlight 2? Well, they're right there - you probably own them already, so coming in and complaining that a game specifically marketed on being different is... err.. different? Well, it isn't too productive.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

Basically the longer I play this game the more fun it gets.

It has a bit of a build-up in the first half of the first act or so, but it makes your growth into a straight-up badass all the more visible.

If you do pass good Level 0 gear and skill gems down to new characters, you'll progress a lot faster and more efficiently next time, too. Starting out with a couple of uniques, a rare or two and 4 skill gems instead of 2 makes the combat early on feel a lot less like you're digging in the dirt for scraps.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

WhiteOutMouse posted:

This game is so deep I am really liking it but my ignorance is making me feel I am not maximizing on the fun I could be having.

Don't worry about maximising anything right now - just go with whatever seems like a good idea at the time and it'll see you through at least the first loop, and maybe the second. Hoard good gear of varying levels in your stash and all unwanted skill gems, and you'll end up with a great starting point for your next character. All your currency, stashed gear and skills can and will be inherited.

It really is more satisfying just to wing it at first, and then really break the game later.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Underwhelmed posted:

edit: Huh, according to POE's twitter it is an actual DDOS, what the gently caress?

Even the devs were skeptical that it could be a DDOS attack, but just confirmed it from their host's logs. What kind of rear end in a top hat does that, anyway?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Grammaton posted:

It's open until release and I'm not sure but I think we get to keep our characters when the game officially launches.

They're not doing any character wipes. If they do major rebalances, characters will get free respecs, but the game has effectively launched now. There's some more content coming in V1.0 though, but that won't be happening til' around September.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

I really love that the uniques in this game can have builds built around them.

It's kinda the intended design. That, combined with the stash system (you can effectively prepare gear in advance for a character build later) shows just how much thought went into the game.

It's been in development for around 6 years now, last I heard.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DemonMage posted:

Side quests in higher difficulties are specifically meant to be higher level, to give you better spots to farm.

The game explicitly states this in one of the loading-screen tips, too. On higher difficulties, sidequests are higher level than the main arc.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Khorne posted:

It's really the opposite. Many people strive to make unique builds or try new things. It doesn't take that long to reroll. You can also spend an hour on an alt here or there and go back on your main.

The stash system and unique items that are specifically designed to have characters built around them (see Facebreaker) support this, too. Artifacts that specialized are almost certainly going to be useless to whatever character finds them. The core idea is that you're meant to stash it and then try building a new character from scratch around the item concept.

You're not meant to conquer the game with a single character. Your first will be awkward and ungainly and poorly equipped, and that seems fully intentional. Each successive run will give you more skill gems, more gear and more currency to work with right from the start. There's an entire metagame built around it, and that's why there's no respecs - they want to encourage people to start fresh and experiment with new concepts.

You might not like these decisions, but they're layered in such a way that there is no doubt that this was the central, intended design of the game. It's not just something casually patched out.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 1, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Veyrall posted:

Strange, but no stranger than summoning a bloody zombie from the corpse of a skeletal rhino-bird.

I took great pleasure in killing ghosts and turning them into zombies. Even better when playing as a Templar - it's like being some kind of freakish holy double-Necromancer.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I just picked up Fork as a quest reward for nearing the end of Act 1 on my Ranger. And I didn't realize there are... no Ranger skills I have that are considered projectiles. :(

Anything that uses a bow? I'm not sure why you'd want to play a projectile-focused ranger and not use one.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Blockhead posted:

The very first quest in act 1, Mercy Mission, has got to be the biggest killer of hardcore characters in cruel and above. Hailrake is an assassin and by the time she shows up on your screen youre usually frozen in place and dead. That unique is awful. So many complaints in global from people not ready for that one. The side areas really are a huge jump in difficulty in cruel and merciless. You need to be a good bit over leveled to tackle them safely.

The game does at least openly state this in one of the loading tips - on higher difficulty settings, sidequest zones are somewhat higher level than the main story arc. I'd be very surprised if anyone got to the higher difficulties without at least seeing that one a few times.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cruseydr posted:

Upcoming patch info talked about above:
I'm most excited about secret awesomeness, to be honest.

Wonder if it's 'Act 3.5' that they've been talking about for months. The end of the current story arc and all that.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Read posted:

They're planning on having 10 acts, in other words the current length of content (3 acts * 3 difficulties) plus an endgame act.

To be fair, they say that act 3.5 is confirmed and well into development - it's teased in the open beta trailer. Act 4 is definitely planned and they have that worked out on paper, but everything past that point they only have a vague outline for.

It's already a pretty big game. Another act and a half would make it huge.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Act 3.5 is going to be all about throwing down with Dominus, who exiled you to Wraeclast in the first place and apparently has some grand plan for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

He's in that trailer, so they've got at least part of the final stretch of content complete. Everything past that is going to be a new story arc.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mulozon Empuri posted:

I've been trying to get into this game while the Eastern Sun goons get their poo poo together. And I've found two problems.

1. You don't really die when you die in HC

I think that's one of the smarter decisions. It's like how arcade games reset the score if you use a second credit - you've got one shot at a high score, and everything after that point is just playing for fun instead of bragging rights.

Also, if you keep stashing stuff (especially good level-0 uniques and rares) and skill gems, the early levels go by waaaaaay faster. Your first hardcore character is going to be dogmeat. Your tenth is likely going to be starting out fully equipped and with a decent range of skills.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

People need to realize that the passive skill tree is mostly a replacement for the 'assign 5 stat points for this level' thing that every other game in the genre does. It's not the Final Fantasy Sphere Grid, even if it looks a bit similar. Yes, the keystone stuff can change the way your character works, but they're intended to be something that happens once every 10 levels or so.

It mostly designed to make min-maxing harder. If you want to cross-class, you specifically have to plan a route across the grid that won't gimp you too badly in the short term.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Raitzeno posted:

They said they're downsizing monster damage across the board.

And lowering life so that damage isn't that much reduced in reality, but it means that armor is going to be more important.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I think a good part of my enjoyment of PoE comes from doing things that people say you can't/shouldn't. Like my cyclone facebreaker, who was 82, had +88% maximum life. Which I didn't realize until I had linked my build to a friend sometime around level 80.

Exactly. Those saying that the only way to play is to follow someone elses cookie-cutter build have no imagination, or put far too much focus on completing every inch of content possible.

I think it's far more fun to make your own decisions, experiment and see just how far you can push things. You might end up struggling on the second playthrough, and completely stalling out on the third, but that's okay. You'll have hoarded a shitload of interesting gear over time to equip your next character with.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm really excited about everything V1.0 is adding. More story content, a new class, new skills, new gameplay mechanics. It's all good. The developers really seem to have been busting their asses to make the best ARPG they can, and I hope that their cosmetic shop items bring in enough money to support further content ccreation.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dreggon posted:

She will be at the end of Act 3.

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty fair place to put her. She's the reward for demonstrating at least basic understanding of the game and completing it once on Normal mode.

Best to keep that class locked away until that point because, as pointed out, it's potentially the most min-maxable, and so the one that's easiest to gimp completely with poor decision making.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Probably an odd questions, but are there any builds or skills to build around that are especially flashy or make a big spectacle? I find that sort of thing satisfying over anything else--the more blinding spell effects or shots I can get out the better. I've watched videos of that spark totem build, it wasn't quite what I had in mind, though it's a good start :v:.

There was one interesting build a while back that literally explodes all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSc6wTmFOlY

Not sure how viable it is now, but with trigger-on-hit gems coming, it might be possible to revive the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just have mad appreciation for any game that lets you play as a walking, self-perpetuating explosion.

• Locked thread