Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

gypsyshred posted:

I appreciate everyone's advice. What Im hearing is that it is worth the trouble, and per Gamestop policy, I should be allowed to return and pay the difference next week?

Ps This is the first time I'm annoyed someone didn't upsell me at Gamestop. Its a weird feeling.

Really weird they didn't mention you were buying the not new tech the day new tech came out. It's not like they had a price drop on that either. drat apathetic teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Stores will have more stock in a week (probably) and you have, what, 30 days to return it? So, what you could do is just hold onto the NES one, buy the new when you find it (in a week), transfer from NES to New, return the NES to Gamestop.

I mean, I'm sure you've figured this all out, but the new 3DS XL is flippin sweet.

Duraflexi by HORI

Also, in case you didn't already know.couldn't tell, there are two versions, a 3DS XL one and a New 3DS XL one. This may seem like common knowledge, but the internet.

That's the one. Thanks!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

gypsyshred posted:

I appreciate everyone's advice. What Im hearing is that it is worth the trouble, and per Gamestop policy, I should be allowed to return and pay the difference next week?

Ps This is the first time I'm annoyed someone didn't upsell me at Gamestop. Its a weird feeling.

Did they have any in stock to upsell you on? My local Gamestop got 0 shelf units, and only fulfilled pre-orders.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Erata posted:

e: surprisingly, nobody's mentioned a difference in framerate between systems tho???

Majora's Mask 3D was not programmed to take advantage of the new CPU, so there is no difference between playing it on an old or new 3DS

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why was the game made by Nintendo not made to utilize the new Nintendo tech

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

MaxDuo posted:

I finally got around to playing Layon vs Wright. I was wondering, do Layton games normally play like the Layton sections of this game?

The gameplay (and story :v:) of the Layton segments is an accurate representation of Layton gameplay, except for that in a full Layton game, there are a lot more puzzles, many of which are harder than the ones in PWxLayton. The main story usually has 130-150 puzzles, and another 50 or so DLC ones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

Probably because the specs for the new Nintendo tech weren't completely nailed down when Majora 3D was in development. I'm assuming, but don't know for sure, that Majora is built over the top of OoT 3D, much like the original game, and thus the engine wasn't set up for the new quad core and all that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Iwata Asks interview explains that the team on MM had already finished the basic port of the game by the time they were informed of the New 3DS existing. Remember this is not actually one of Nintendo's core teams and the game was not built for the N3DS from the start. When they were informed about it and asked to add some kind of N3DS functionality, camera control is what they came up with.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

MaxDuo posted:

Also the treatment of PHoenix in this game makes me sad so far. He apparently doesn't get puzzles and has no clue how to do them so he wants to leave them to Layton... yet in that court case, Layton basically saves them from a guilty verdict and more or less gives Phoenix the answers to stuff that Phoenix seems constantly clueless on about 9 or 10 times. It feels almost more like Layton is the turn about guy, and Phoenix is just there to pose and act lost most of the time.

This is, unfortunately, a problem the entire game. I still liked the game and any time spent without Layton on the screen is worth the price of admission, but that top hat guy really likes to be the infallible center of attention.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Flumpus posted:

For me it seems like it's seamless for normal head movements. If I try to break it, I can definitely make it freak out for a second, but it snaps back quickly (same with looking away, it can take a second to adjust when you look back). When I first tried the 3ds I was really impressed with the 3d effect, but never really kept it on because it was annoying to have to be in that perfect spot the whole time. With this I can see myself just leaving it on all the time.

Every so often it loses track of me, I shift around and fidget. Sometimes I'm fidgeting right before a cutscene or dialogue tree in link between worlds and it just stays out of focus until the whole thing finishes. I don't know if it's because of power saving or the CPU is prioritised for something else.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Phoenix gets to do a few puzzles later but yeah Layton's really the star of the show

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
There were a few good puzzles with Phoenix Wright, but yeah -- it's something I think a sequel would handle the balance between the two more elegantly. I liked the new court scene mechanics, I wish they had more cases where Phoenix does his PUZZLE TURNABOUT, and Layton definitely stole the spotlight. I loved the game, even the dorky ending, and boy was the ending to the first case something http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=122214

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I felt that the math with bread puzzle that Layton showed Phoenix early on was bullshit. Organize the bread to make a lower number. You can't just stand a whole stick of bread straight up to make it a decimal place... it'd fall over you jerk.

You could make the shape of a 2 (more of a z, I guess...) or a 7. But Layton just shat on Phoenix for using math.

Shame that the game mostly spotlights Layton... was hoping Phoenix would have a better showing later on. I'm still enjoying it and would buy another. And actual Layton games having longer and more puzzles than this is an incentive to check them out more so than this game was making me feel.

But that'll have to wait until my 100th birthday, when I am done with Monster Hunter, I suppose. That and Hyrule Warriors have me pretty set.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I have way too many games as it is mainly on Wii U. If I finish everything I'll probably pick up the Phoenix Wright Trilogy, Layton never interested me. I remember playing the original Phoenix Wright ages ago and really enjoyed it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I checked last night and every goddamn store around me is sold out of the new 3DS already. I talked to a friendly Target clerk who said they had people camping outside before the store opened for them.

Is this a thing happening everywhere? Is it my local retailers' faults, or did Nintendo pull a Nintendo and ship barely enough of a hot new product to fill pre-orders let alone sell any to normal people who don't line up outside a retailer at 7 AM on a weekday for them?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

MaxDuo posted:

I felt that the math with bread puzzle that Layton showed Phoenix early on was bullshit. Organize the bread to make a lower number. You can't just stand a whole stick of bread straight up to make it a decimal place... it'd fall over you jerk.

You could make the shape of a 2 (more of a z, I guess...) or a 7. But Layton just shat on Phoenix for using math.

The worst part of that is what a good example of Phoenix's character that was. He thought outside the box, just like Mia taught him, and came up with a unique (and better) answer so the puzzle. If we were doing things like that the whole game it would have really made the puzzles feel more crossoverish.

But no, Layton's always right. Jerk.

Nolgthorn posted:

If I finish everything I'll probably pick up the Phoenix Wright Trilogy, Layton never interested me. I remember playing the original Phoenix Wright ages ago and really enjoyed it.

The first three are the best for sure. A big part of why I love PLvsAA despite my gripes is because Maya's finally in a game again since, what, 2004? Bring her back, Capcom.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

noirstronaut posted:

Even though it says Zelda on the box, it's not a true first party title. The port was done by the Japanese game studio Grezzo who likely was just told to port over Majora's Mask and support the circle pad pro. If it's anything like other console 3rd party studio contract work, chances are Grezzo knew nothing about the existence of the new 3DS until we did, and Nintendo likely told them around the same time the console was announced that it'd be a pseudo-launch title for it. The same can likely be said for Monster Hunter.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

So I checked last night and every goddamn store around me is sold out of the new 3DS already. I talked to a friendly Target clerk who said they had people camping outside before the store opened for them.

Is this a thing happening everywhere? Is it my local retailers' faults, or did Nintendo pull a Nintendo and ship barely enough of a hot new product to fill pre-orders let alone sell any to normal people who don't line up outside a retailer at 7 AM on a weekday for them?

It's apparently super popular. And with 3dsxl still having good trade in value, it's not a crazy price to upgrade.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

io_burn posted:

Even though it says Zelda on the box, it's not a true first party title. The port was done by the Japanese game studio Grezzo who likely was just told to port over Majora's Mask and support the circle pad pro. If it's anything like other console 3rd party studio contract work, chances are Grezzo knew nothing about the existence of the new 3DS until we did, and Nintendo likely told them around the same time the console was announced that it'd be a pseudo-launch title for it. The same can likely be said for Monster Hunter.

Mohun at least has better models and shadows on new 3ds tho

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bombadilillo posted:

It's apparently super popular. And with 3dsxl still having good trade in value, it's not a crazy price to upgrade.

Tell that to my still unsold oldXL.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nintendo most definitely pulled a Nintendo. The numbers made available to the average Target were 5/8/2, for Majora's Mask edition, black, and red respectively. Heavy traffic Targets may have received 10 of each. Some Targets, 2 of each, if that. Many Gamestops only received pre-orders, but that's a Gamestop pulling a Gamestop thing. They've been doing the same thing with amiibo, but I get it, since the average Gamestop is the size of my bedroom. My local Walmart and Best Buy received none on release day.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 14, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Everyone should get a new 3ds. If you suggest otherwise you are wrong.

Fix my small screen headache problems so i can please :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ciaphas posted:

Fix my small screen headache problems so i can please :(

Now introducing the new 3DS XL

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Checked Best Buy on a whim and managed to nab their last N3DS (a black one). It helps to be on a business trip in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY, I guess. Not remote enough to manage to get a MM 3DS without camping out for hours though :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Tell that to my still unsold oldXL.

Amazon has a trade in for 116. Do that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bombadilillo posted:

Amazon has a trade in for 116. Do that.

Link?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nintendo 3DS XL Black/Black - Nintendo 3DS XL by Nintendo http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1A1SP6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Tr53ub19RRA22

You can select different colors. Trade in stays the same. Says 89 for me without charging cable (which you want to keep) and packaging. 116 for box and cable everything.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bombadilillo posted:

Nintendo 3DS XL Black/Black - Nintendo 3DS XL by Nintendo http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1A1SP6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Tr53ub19RRA22

You can select different colors. Trade in stays the same. Says 89 for me without charging cable (which you want to keep) and packaging. 116 for box and cable everything.

But it's a $116 gift card

e: Oh, dammit Amazon. Get this. $116 for a black/black XL. $67 for a blue/black. Guess which one I have.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 14, 2015

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Your not going to spend 116 on amazon during the rest of your life? I guess if you need the cash, it doesn't work.

Pretty good value if you ask me though. 89 for a not pristine system with no cable.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bombadilillo posted:

Your not going to spend 116 on amazon during the rest of your life? I guess if you need the cash, it doesn't work.

Pretty good value if you ask me though. 89 for a not pristine system with no cable.

Over the course of my life? Sure. Over the next few weeks wherein that $116 would be most useful? Probably not.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is it best to manually format a brand new SD card prior to putting it into the new 3ds or can I just take it right out of the packaging and put it in? I've heard conflicting things.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I'd love to trade in my 2ds to Amazon but they don't want it :argh:

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is it best to manually format a brand new SD card prior to putting it into the new 3ds or can I just take it right out of the packaging and put it in? I've heard conflicting things.

My 32GB card worked just fine out of the packaging.

e: Samsung card if that helps

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

Nintendo most definitely pulled a Nintendo. The numbers made available to the average Target were 5/8/2, for Majora's Mask edition, black, and red respectively. Heavy traffic Targets may have received 10 of each. Some Targets, 2 of each, if that. Many Gamestops only received pre-orders, but that's a Gamestop pulling a Gamestop thing. They've been doing the same thing with amiibo, but I get it, since the average Gamestop is the size of my bedroom. My local Walmart and Best Buy received none on release day.

They got a giant wall of Skylander that doesn't seem like it's ever sold much when I'm in Target or GameStop, while their Infinity and Amiibo sections are usually barren/sold out. If they need to stock less of anything it's Skylander.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

I'm fairly positive I bought the last new 3DS in a 90 mile radius and finding it was ridiculous, every store was completely sold out except a Wal-mart in the middle of bum gently caress nowhere. Got it though and am now downloading Majoras Mask and Monster Hunter. This is my first foray into 3DS territory, any other must own games I should look out for or neat things to know?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

noirstronaut posted:

e: Oh, dammit Amazon. Get this. $116 for a black/black XL. $67 for a blue/black. Guess which one I have.

Ah, yea, the red/black is only like $74. I guess the black/black is higher because Amazon knows what's up, and that black/black has only been out for like a year.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You only need to format it manually if its 64gb.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Heads up to people looking for a console: Wal-Mart has both black and red models and Best Buy has black models in stock online. I'll probably just wait until they're in stock somewhere because the free shipping would take two weeks anyway, but if anybody would rather have home delivery they're out there.

Everyone else is also sold out online, and Gamestop won't let you track even the black model in stores because it's listed as an "Online Only" item.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So, I'm a little confused as to how the CPP and c-stick was to be used on Kid Icarus? It just works like another control stick. Was it meant to be bought for left handed people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

noirstronaut posted:

So, I'm a little confused as to how the CPP and c-stick was to be used on Kid Icarus? It just works like another control stick. Was it meant to be bought for left handed people?

Yeah, if I recall the CPP came too late to be used by Kid Icarus as anything more than an optional control scheme for lefties.

• Locked thread